[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][8.1] LineageOS 15.1 for Amazon Fire HD8 7/6th gen (douglas/giza)

Search This thread

jaguar11735

Jan 6, 2008
Does this ROM support USB ethernet adapters? I tried with a Cable Matters one, connected with a USB OTG cable but it didn't seem to work. The adapter lit up and seemed to establish a connection based on the lights, but it doesn't seem that Android got the message that an adapter is connected.

Aeternamens

Feb 12, 2019
What version of USB MIDI driver is used in the firmware?

I'm trying to connect a synthesizer via USB-OTG, but MODALapp does not see the device, although there is MIDI support in Android 6. More information here.

At the same time, G-Stomper app detects MIDI devices, but according to the manual below, it looks like the classic Android 5.x based USB MIDI driver.
More information here.

Dear @Rortiz2, if the firmware uses an old version of USB MIDI driver, could you please implement a new version of the driver in next updates so that USB MIDI devices work properly? Thanks in advance.

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
What version of USB MIDI driver is used in the firmware?

I'm trying to connect a synthesizer via USB-OTG, but MODALapp does not see the device, although there is MIDI support in Android 6. More information here.

At the same time, G-Stomper app detects MIDI devices, but according to the manual below, it looks like the classic Android 5.x based USB MIDI driver.
More information here.

Dear @Rortiz2, if the firmware uses an old version of USB MIDI driver, could you please implement a new version of the driver in next updates so that USB MIDI devices work properly? Thanks in advance.
I'll take a look

OS9er

Jan 4, 2022
Quick follow-up question about SDCardFS: is there any particular reason why it was disabled in the first place?

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Dear @Rortiz2 , I just installed Lineage15 on my douglas, it's perfect! Thank you for your rom. And I want to know can douglas support Lineage16 or 17? Is there any plan for building Lineage16 or 17 ROM? Thank you.
Yeah, douglas (and giza) can support anything at this point (even 18.1). I'll start with 17.1 as soon as I fix the last bugs here.

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
Why stick to an outdated version when you can upgrade to a lot newer version where you have much more configurations. Also, yes, you can optimize the apps and stuff so that it uses the same amount of memory in the end.

BTW: My problem is solved, thanks for any feedback!
You are right that we should focus on the newest version. I mentioned about A9, because this version seems compact to fit to tablets equipped only with 1.5G Ram. If A10 or later runs well on douglas, absolutely no need to pay attention to A9. Another reason is up to A9, we can build Rom with 8G Ram PC. Ofc, this is pretty personal reason, no need to have further consideration.
Let us enjoy new version of Android. Thank you @Rortiz2 for your endless effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodSoul

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
You are right that we should focus on the newest version. I mentioned about A9, because this version seems compact to fit to tablets equipped only with 1.5G Ram. If A10 or later runs well on douglas, absolutely no need to pay attention to A9. Another reason is up to A9, we can build Rom with 8G Ram PC. Ofc, this is pretty personal reason, no need to have further consideration.
Let us enjoy new version of Android. Thank you @Rortiz2 for your endless effort.
Oh god, RAM is not my only problem. I'm building with a 2011 PC with a 2nd Gen I7 + 16GB DDR3 RAM. Feels good to be poor.

Asura24

Oh god, RAM is not my only problem. I'm building with a 2011 PC with a 2nd Gen I7 + 16GB DDR3 RAM. Feels good to be poor.

I'm also a dev, I just not really into android development, but I do have a PC that should work well for compiling the code.
If I can help with the development just hit me up, or even just building the roms for testing.
I have been looking at your github but no luck at actually figuring out how would I build the rom.

Reactions: FreakyyLike

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick update; I'll probably release the latest version of 15.1 soon with some fixes and I'll continue working on 18.1 as I already started making the trees.​
    Thank you @Rortiz2 for still taking the time to release OS for this old little tablet. It is actually all I need for airplane trips for work and, well, I'm a little too cheap to buy something else for using a few times a year.

At this point, I'm good with TWRP and have your latest Lineage 15.1 installed. The only thing holding me back from not reinstalling FireOS is apparently SafetyNet - can't install Disney+ or Netflix for media. Any suggestions on getting around SN?

And if you need a tester, I'll happily install 18.1 as soon as you release.
    Hey, not sure what happened, but I turned my Douglas on after a few days and it was stuck in a boot loop or something. It got stuck on the LineageOS boot animation for a while and then rebooted to TWRP automatically. This happened every time.

1. I tried to clear cache, but it said
    Code:
    Failed to mount '/cache' (No such device)
    2. Then i tried re-flash this rom zip, that I already had on the internal storage and it said "Failed to mount (No such device)" for `/cache`, `/system` and `/data`.

Now I seem to have lost everything that was on the internal storage, and it cannot mount anything. It won't connect to my computer either. It says "No media storage found. Make sure device is unlocked and MTP is enabled." It seems like the data partition does not have any file system format. And am unable to create one either. It says
    Code:
    failed to mount and unable to recreate `/data/media`

I would try to flash the old Fire OS image, but can't seem to mount the internal storage on to my Linux pc. Any ideas?

Edit: I also tried the repair file system, but it gives me the same "Failed to mount" error. And I found an old TWRP backup that i've been trying to copy onto the tablet using adb, but it keeps rebooting after like 20%. Maybe the internal storage is dead?

Edit2: Okay, so I successfully copied the backup to the mounted SD card. But it during restore using twrp, it says This /data backup was made with ext4, so i need to change it back to ext4 to ensure it boots. But it won't let me change file system using twrp

Code:
    Formatting Data using mke2fs
    Done.
    Failed to mount '/data' (No such device)
    Unable to recreate /data/media folder
    Updating partition details...
    Failed to mount '/system' (No such device)
    Failed to mount '/cache' (No such device)
    Failed to mount '/data' (No such device)
    ...done
    Run the following commands with ADB on TWRP and PM me the results.
    Code:
    adb shell cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/cid
    adb shell cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/csd
    adb shell mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
    adb shell cat /sys/kernel/debug/mmc0/mmc0:0001/ext_csd
    1607247455067-png.5435845

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.
    Instructions:
    • Reboot to recovery mode
    • Wipe data, system (/system_root) and cache
    • Flash the ROM and the Gapps
    • Reboot and enjoy!
    Downloads:
    Reporting Bugs:
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    Known issues:
    • Deep sleep (Doze)
    • Hardware decoding (OMX)
    • Camera (both photos/videos) isn't working on giza
    • Can't connect to hidden SSIDs
    Notes:
    • SELinux is in Permissive mode
    • The ROM only supports both douglas (Fire HD8 2017) and giza (Fire HD8 2016)
    How do i...
    • Unlock and install TWRP?
      • Follow the instructions of the unlock thread (douglas | giza)
    • Go back to the original/stock ROM?
      • Download the stock update.bin (douglas | giza) and flash it using TWRP
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
    restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

Contributors
    R0rt1z2, FreakyyLike (for the douglas donation)
    Source Code: https://github.com/mt8163-dev
    Kernel source: https://github.com/mt8695/android_kernel_amazon_mt8695
    Quick update; I'll probably release the latest version of 15.1 soon with some fixes and I'll continue working on 18.1 as I already started making the trees.​
    New build is up.

2021-10-31 [douglas] [giza]

• Resolved missing {drm,omx} symbols ({TimedEventQueue,EVP}).
    • Added MicroG support (Signature Spoofing).
    • Added exFAT support (included new kernel driver).
    • Fixed audio stream (amazon proprietary libraries).
    • Added GPU Extension Device ("GED") support.
    • Updated the security patch to October 2021.
    PS: Happy Halloween!
    Good news to everyone. I partially fixed HW decoding (and this includes Video Recording) ;)

EDIT: It fully works now
    New build is up.

2021-09-16 [douglas] [giza]

• Fixed camera.
    • Fixed internal storage (OBB) issues.
    NOTE: Video recording isn't working at all, it crashes with the stock camera app but it works with some third-party apps (such as Telegram).
    NOTE: Let me know if obb issues are fully gone (I basically reverted the sdcardfs squash update). Try to clean flash the ROM as well before reporting if the bug it's still present.