[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][TB-X704F/L] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo Tab4 10 Plus

Search This thread

yener90

Dec 10, 2018
http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.paulfasola.fr%2FCyanogenMod%2FLineageOS.png

Code:
/*
 * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...). 
 * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it! 
 * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
 * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
 * Same statement for XDA.
 */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (Pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

What works:
Wifi
Bluetooth
Audio
LED
USB
RIL
Encryption
Fingerprint
Camera
Hall sensor
DT2W
Selinux Enforcing

Broken
nothing

Source code:
device: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_TBX704
device-common: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_tb-common
kernel: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953
vendor: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/proprietary_vendor_lenovo

Important
If you are using this ROM first time, wipe data. Wipe data completely. I mean the option where you need to enter "yes". Use this option and then flash the rom.
This ROM only works with the TWRP I added.

If you want to use GAPPS, flash it directly after flashing ROM. Don't let the ROM boot. Otherwise your device will not get certification, so you will not have Google Access.

Instructions (thx @matshias, just changed few lines to get ROM flashing working)

1. Put your ROM (and GApps) onto your sdcard (sdcard must be exfat or fat32, NTFS not supported)
  2. Install fastboot and adb on your PC, e.g. from here
  3. Enable developer options and in there select to unlock your bootloader by enabling OEM unlock and enable USB debugging
  4. Connect your PC to your tablet and run
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    using adb on command line. The tablet will reboot into bootloader mode where you will only see the Lenovo logo. Now you use
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go
    to unlock. This will factory reset your device
  5. Don't setup, cause you will need to format your tablet later again. Shutdown tablet. Hold volume up and power button to start to bootloader
  6. Then run
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.3-0-<your-filename>.img
    to flash TWRP
  7. Select with volume buttons "Recovery Mode" and press power button
  8. Select to write to system, otherwise you can't flash ROM
  9. Backup at least system and boot partitions to your sdcard cause you will wipe data in next step. Choose "System Image" for the system partition backup.
  10. Format data using this tutorial
  11. Flash ROM
  12. Optionally flash SuperSU or Magisk in TWRP which should install system less. Keep OEM unlock enabled if you flash or modify anything
  13. Restart

Download
2019-08-12 (hotfix)
• hotfix: fix camera
• security patch level: 2019-08-01
ROM
TWRP (Use this for TB704L too; you guys don't need 4g in recovery :p)

You can also get the latest ROM updates from codeworkx here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lineageos-on-lenovo/files/16.0/TBX704/
Bulids are same, just update.

Older downloads

2019-07-14
• security patch level: 2019-07-05
ROM
TWRP

2019-06-22 (thx @codeworkx)
• bugfixes and performance improvements
• fix camera detection for ov8856 sensor
ROM

2019-06-09 (thx @codeworkx)
• set_permissive.zip patch no more required
• TWRP 3.3.0 support
• security patch level: 2019-06-05
ROM

2019-05-14
• fixed sim issue for x704l caused in last update
• fixed a little issue on x704l (should improve battery life)
• added double tap to wake
• latest changes of LineageOS
ROM

2019-05-10
• fixed wifi after fresh installation
• changed scheduler to bfq
• added wireless display broadcast
• improved performance
• removed ril elements from X704F variant
• security patch level: 2019-05-05
ROM
SIM fix for X704L

2019-04-30
• fixed fingerprint bug caused by SELinux
• removed PS3/PS4 controller hid, as it doesn't work
• optimized performance
ROM

2019-04-28
• fixed notifcation led (light was only red for notifications)
• fixed ril values
• added support for PS3/PS4 controller
• SELinux is enforced after boot
ROM

2019-04-24
• fixed hall sensor
• fixed camera
• fixed long time to wake up screen
ROM

2019-04-22
• fixed fingerprint removement after reboot/user switch
• fixed partially camera (same like in 15.1)
• fixed reboot to recovery and bootloader for advanced reboot menu
• fixed deep sleep
ROM

2019-04-21
• intital release
• TB-X704L is now integrated, no more additional zip required
• You can update from previous version
ROM

Optional downloads
Dolby Digital Plus (use the TWRP one)
GAPPS (use 9.0 arm64; I suggest using pico variant)

Mounting system rw
This is impossible on our tablet. The bootloader enforces verity check, which causes this issue.
The only possibility is to modify bootloader, what is dangerous and requires good knowledge.
there is a workaround using magisk with a mod. which mounts your system rw on mount:
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=79681018&postcount=259

Thanks
@highwaystar_ru (he gave me the important hint, also used his sources and his thread :eek:)
@LumenReaper (for his work with CM14.1, where I took big part of his device tree :fingers-crossed:)
@Flowah123 for the TB-X704L files :fingers-crossed:

Donations
Thanks to @rorzer, @Preyer11, @Tschumi, @MrMagic, @max_work, @vicenza & 5 x anonymous :D

Please don't support Lenovo and buy their tablets
Code:
[I]Updates vary depending on the model where our tablets receive Android and security updates after the introduction. 
We announced Tab 4 10 Plus in February 2017 and since then it has received seven OTA updates. 
However, this model has reached the end of its update cycle and will not receive any more updates in the future.
- Lenovo (2018-05-11)[/I]
Just seven updates and not even one major upgrade, please don't support them.

Reporting bugs
Please tell what mods you are using and what tablet variant (TB-X704F or L or ABCDEFGH..)
If your tablet doesnt start:
go to TWRP. use file manager, go to sys/fs/pstore, copy the files and upload it here.
if your tablet starts and bug appears later:
go to TWRP. use file manager, go to sys/fs/pstore, copy the files
start your tablet normal, let the bug appear, enter adb root
use adb logcat and adb shell dmesg, copy the content to a text file and upload here

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][TB-X704F/L] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo Tab4 10 Plus, ROM for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet

Contributors
yener90, codeworkx
ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie

Version Information

Created 2019-04-21
Last Updated 2019-06-11

Last edited:

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
Yener, you're amazing. Thanks to you we are on the current Android version. Installation ran without problems. I was so free to attach some screenshots.

What I noticed so far:

- I can confirm the list of things that are working and things that are broken.
- Significantly newer kernel (3.18.138) than LineageOS 15.1 (3.18.115) and of course Nougat (3.18.31).
- Magisk 18.1 works fine (had problems with it under LOS 15.1)
- Waking up the device by pressing the power button or using the fingerprint sensor takes an unusually long time (3-4 seconds). I caught myself several times pressing the button again.

Will you offer a new TWRP 3.3.0?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190421-180045_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20190421-180045_Settings.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 6,601
  • Screenshot_20190421-180059_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20190421-180059_Settings.png
    112 KB · Views: 6,566
  • Screenshot_20190421-180015_Trebuchet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190421-180015_Trebuchet.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 6,777
  • Screenshot_20190421-180020_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20190421-180020_Trebuchet.png
    211 KB · Views: 6,599
  • Screenshot_20190421-180035_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20190421-180035_Trebuchet.png
    167.5 KB · Views: 6,518
Last edited:

yener90

Dec 10, 2018
- Waking up the device by pressing the power button or using the fingerprint sensor takes an unusually long time (3-4 seconds). I caught myself several times pressing the button again.
Wiil be fixed tomorrow release. It has the same bugs like the little older brother:
  • Fixed reboot to recovery and bootloader from reboot menu
  • Fixed long time to wake up screen
  • Fixed Deep sleep
Also there is an issue with fingerprint. After restart it doesn't work anymore. This will be also fixed.

- The release is an engineering build. @yener90 isn't it common to release userdebug?
Everything is normal, I don't know, why it is like that :rolleyes:

Will you offer a new TWRP 3.3.0?
I'm not planning to change something on TWRP currently.

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
Wiil be fixed tomorrow release. It has the same bugs like the little older brother:
  • Fixed reboot to recovery and bootloader from reboot menu
  • Fixed long time to wake up screen
  • Fixed Deep sleep
Also there is an issue with fingerprint. After restart it doesn't work anymore. This will be also fixed.

Okay, thank you very much. I can also confirm the problem with the fingerprint scanner, it occurs not only after a reboot, but also when you switch between two users.

Everything is normal, I don't know, why it is like that :rolleyes:

Maybe I can help here: You will get an engineering build if you run lunch lineage_TBX704-eng. If you run lunch lineage_TBX704-userdebug instead, you will get a userdebug build.

Reactions: apotsi

yener90

Dec 10, 2018
Okay, thank you very much. I can also confirm the problem with the fingerprint scanner, it occurs not only after a reboot, but also when you switch between two users.
Same bug, will be also fixed.

Maybe I can help here: You will get an engineering build if you run lunch lineage_TBX704-eng. If you run lunch lineage_TBX704-userdebug instead, you will get a userdebug build.
I didn't change anything :) How do you come to this conclusion? in Device Info HW App its listed as userdebug build

Sparkrite

Jan 9, 2014
Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Lite
Nice update @yener90, thank you very much.

Now, here's a good one, dirty flashed the V9 over your V8 and then flashed Gapps and Magisk19.
All went well and I was impressed with how well the tablet ran and its stability, a few apps needed updating and then I used the tablet for about 2 hours or so, no problems whatsoever.
So I did a backup and rebooted, now the tablet powers off after approx 30secs. or so displaying the 'powering off' notification but instead of actually powering off it reboots to TWRP.
I have wiped Dalvik and cache but to no avail.
I used your TWRP to flash the ROM and use the original TWRP to create the backups/restorations to/from Ext SD . TB-X704V (L)

Any ideas please, as it was running very well prior to doing a backup ?

TIA.

Last edited:

yener90

Dec 10, 2018
Nice update @yener90, thank you very much.

Now, here's a good one, dirty flashed the V9 over your V8 and then flashed Gapps and Magisk19.
All went well and I was impressed with how well the tablet ran and its stability, a few apps needed updating and then I used the tablet for about 2 hours or so, no problems whatsoever.
So I did a backup and rebooted, now the tablet powers off after approx 30secs. or so displaying the 'powering off' notification but instead of actually powering off it reboots to TWRP.
I have wiped Dalvik and cache but to no avail.
I used your TWRP to flash the ROM and use the original TWRP to create the backups/restorations to/from Ext SD . TB-X704V (L)

Any ideas please, as it was running very well prior to doing a backup ?

TIA.
I'm suprised that it even starts. I really don't know. Maybe encryption got broken or filesystem error.

Sparkrite

Jan 9, 2014
Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Lite
I'm suprised that it even starts. I really don't know. Maybe encryption got broken or filesystem error.

Why are you surprised, I understood you had incorporated the 'L' fix into the ROM ?

It's doing my head in, it was running well, had rebooted a few times, intentionally, and all was well.

Make a backup and then the problem appears and I don't have time to do much before it re-boots, unfortunately.

yener90

Dec 10, 2018
Why are you surprised, I understood you had incorporated the 'L' fix into the ROM ?
For me it looks like TWRP made some rubbish, which lead to failure on partition.
Normally you would end up in a bootloop. The system wouldn't start.

Use my TWRP then use in TWRP internal file manager.
Go to the location sys/fs/pstore and upload the files here.

Preyer11

Oct 11, 2011
Does SIM work for you? On this release I tried to get it work on wifi and lte variant of tablet.

sadly not,
i see all the settings in software (grey out) and it keeps asking for a Sim Card but none of my 3 Sim Cards avaible is noticed

could somebody that also use the L confirm this ? not that i am sitting on a broken sim card slot

yener90

Dec 10, 2018
sadly not,
i see all the settings in software (grey out) and it keeps asking for a Sim Card but none of my 3 Sim Cards avaible is noticed

could somebody that also use the L confirm this ? not that i am sitting on a broken sim card slot

Its not broken. There is something wrong.
I need to compare both kernels X704F & X704L and check that issue out.

max_work

Jan 8, 2019
Hey, just wanted to report i also dirty flashed and it worked without problems, i own the F model. Works great so far, awesome! However i have one little bug (i guess it is one): long pressing an app icon to move it does sometimes not work, nothing happens then. but i have this since the 15.1 version. does anyone also have this?

kind regards

Tschumi

Jul 4, 2010
Thessalonika
I dirty flashed it over lineage 15, after wiping system and caches. I flashed the gapps after the rom and everything works perfectly so far. No bugs yet or problems with apps and files. Thanks Yener, I had lost all hope of ever seeing this device updated.

bwguy

Apr 1, 2019
@yener90 great job, works a treat and you've fixed the led colours and added screenshot back on. I'm keeping an eye on the battery as it's draining much quicker I think.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.paulfasola.fr%2FCyanogenMod%2FLineageOS.png

Code:
    /*
     * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...). 
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it! 
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
     * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
     * Same statement for XDA.
     */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (Pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

What works:
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    Audio
    LED
    USB
    RIL
    Encryption
    Fingerprint
    Camera
    Hall sensor
    DT2W
    Selinux Enforcing

Broken
    nothing

Source code:
    device: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_TBX704
    device-common: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_tb-common
    kernel: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953
    vendor: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/proprietary_vendor_lenovo

Important
    If you are using this ROM first time, wipe data. Wipe data completely. I mean the option where you need to enter "yes". Use this option and then flash the rom.
    This ROM only works with the TWRP I added.

If you want to use GAPPS, flash it directly after flashing ROM. Don't let the ROM boot. Otherwise your device will not get certification, so you will not have Google Access.

Instructions (thx @matshias, just changed few lines to get ROM flashing working)

1. Put your ROM (and GApps) onto your sdcard (sdcard must be exfat or fat32, NTFS not supported)
    2. Install fastboot and adb on your PC, e.g. from here
    3. Enable developer options and in there select to unlock your bootloader by enabling OEM unlock and enable USB debugging
    4. Connect your PC to your tablet and run
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      using adb on command line. The tablet will reboot into bootloader mode where you will only see the Lenovo logo. Now you use
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock-go
      to unlock. This will factory reset your device
    5. Don't setup, cause you will need to format your tablet later again. Shutdown tablet. Hold volume up and power button to start to bootloader
    6. Then run
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.3-0-<your-filename>.img
      to flash TWRP
    7. Select with volume buttons "Recovery Mode" and press power button
    8. Select to write to system, otherwise you can't flash ROM
    9. Backup at least system and boot partitions to your sdcard cause you will wipe data in next step. Choose "System Image" for the system partition backup.
    10. Format data using this tutorial
    11. Flash ROM
    12. Optionally flash SuperSU or Magisk in TWRP which should install system less. Keep OEM unlock enabled if you flash or modify anything
    13. Restart

Download
    2019-08-12 (hotfix)
    • hotfix: fix camera
    • security patch level: 2019-08-01
    ROM
    TWRP (Use this for TB704L too; you guys don't need 4g in recovery :p)

You can also get the latest ROM updates from codeworkx here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/lineageos-on-lenovo/files/16.0/TBX704/
    Bulids are same, just update.

Older downloads

2019-07-14
    ROM
    TWRP

2019-06-22 (thx @codeworkx)
    • fix camera detection for ov8856 sensor
    ROM

2019-06-09 (thx @codeworkx)
    • set_permissive.zip patch no more required
    • TWRP 3.3.0 support
    • security patch level: 2019-06-05
    ROM

2019-05-14
    • fixed sim issue for x704l caused in last update
    • fixed a little issue on x704l (should improve battery life)
    • added double tap to wake
    • latest changes of LineageOS
    ROM

2019-05-10
    • fixed wifi after fresh installation
    • changed scheduler to bfq
    • added wireless display broadcast
    • improved performance
    • removed ril elements from X704F variant
    • security patch level: 2019-05-05
    ROM
    SIM fix for X704L

2019-04-30
    • fixed fingerprint bug caused by SELinux
    • removed PS3/PS4 controller hid, as it doesn't work
    • optimized performance
    ROM

2019-04-28
    • fixed ril values
    ROM

2019-04-24
    • fixed hall sensor
    • fixed camera
    ROM

2019-04-22
    • fixed fingerprint removement after reboot/user switch
    • fixed partially camera (same like in 15.1)
    • fixed reboot to recovery and bootloader for advanced reboot menu
    • fixed deep sleep
    ROM

2019-04-21
    • intital release
    • TB-X704L is now integrated, no more additional zip required
    • You can update from previous version
    ROM

Optional downloads
    Dolby Digital Plus (use the TWRP one)
    GAPPS (use 9.0 arm64; I suggest using pico variant)

Mounting system rw
    This is impossible on our tablet. The bootloader enforces verity check, which causes this issue.
    The only possibility is to modify bootloader, what is dangerous and requires good knowledge.
    there is a workaround using magisk with a mod. which mounts your system rw on mount:
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=79681018&postcount=259

Thanks
    @highwaystar_ru (he gave me the important hint, also used his sources and his thread :eek:)
    @LumenReaper (for his work with CM14.1, where I took big part of his device tree :fingers-crossed:)
    @Flowah123 for the TB-X704L files :fingers-crossed:

Donations
    Thanks to @rorzer, @Preyer11, @Tschumi, @MrMagic, @max_work, @vicenza & 5 x anonymous :D

Please don't support Lenovo and buy their tablets
    Code:
    [I]Updates vary depending on the model where our tablets receive Android and security updates after the introduction. 
    We announced Tab 4 10 Plus in February 2017 and since then it has received seven OTA updates. 
    However, this model has reached the end of its update cycle and will not receive any more updates in the future.
    - Lenovo (2018-05-11)[/I]
    Just seven updates and not even one major upgrade, please don't support them.

Reporting bugs
    Please tell what mods you are using and what tablet variant (TB-X704F or L or ABCDEFGH..)
    If your tablet doesnt start:
    go to TWRP. use file manager, go to sys/fs/pstore, copy the files and upload it here.
    if your tablet starts and bug appears later:
    go to TWRP. use file manager, go to sys/fs/pstore, copy the files
    start your tablet normal, let the bug appear, enter adb root
    use adb logcat and adb shell dmesg, copy the content to a text file and upload here

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][TB-X704F/L] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo Tab4 10 Plus, ROM for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet

Contributors
    yener90, codeworkx
    ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie

Version Information

Created 2019-04-21
    Last Updated 2019-06-11
    Update
    2019-07-14
    ROM
    Update
    2019-04-28
    • fixed ril values
    ROM
    @yener90

Interested on making this official?

Sent from my OnePlus 6 using XDA Labs

Sure, why not?
    This would be really nice.
    Time to make some music here :p

Update
    2019-05-10