• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][tb8504f/x] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo TAB4 8

Search This thread

BigBrother84

May 25, 2019
Finally I installed successfully that beautiful ROM!

The problem was that I had to reboot to twrp using key combination directly after flashing it by fastboot (when you reboot after flashing, stock recovery replace twrp).

@highwaystar_ru
After that everything works great, (magisk flashed) with one exception - I cannot modify root partition on working os when I try it freezes...

It's important for me because I cannot e.g. install busybox or hide navbar adding qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 to build.prop on vendor.

I'll try adb remount partition, and see but it's new for me.

Edit: what I saw later, system has problem with plugging/unplugging headphones.
That one with 3 pin jack seems not to disconnect if you do it but 4 pin jack headset works good.

If you want, I can send you logcat? :)

Last edited:

drizzle123

Oct 5, 2010
I am trying to build with the following manifest

https://github.com/darran-kelinske-fivestars/local-manifest-lineage/blob/TB-8504/manifest.xml

But I'm getting the following exception:

Code:
error: vendor/lineage/build/soong/Android.bp:31:8: module "generated_kernel_includes": cmd: unknown variable '$(KERNEL_MAKE_FLAGS)'
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
18:08:14 soong bootstrap failed with: exit status 1

Is there a configuration step I missed?

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

my bad - I needed to do

Code:
mka clean
breakfast TB8504
brunch TB8504

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
Hello!

I'm an ultra beginner but I would like to install this rom. I thought it was just follow the installation by the rom creator, however it seem to be some other tasks that has to be done than following his guide.

If someonr have the time, could you please give me an easy and very detailed step by step guide how to go through with the installation?

Thanks for your attention. I’m looking forward to your reply.

drizzle123

Oct 5, 2010
Hello!

I'm an ultra beginner but I would like to install this rom. I thought it was just follow the installation by the rom creator, however it seem to be some other tasks that has to be done than following his guide.

If someonr have the time, could you please give me an easy and very detailed step by step guide how to go through with the installation?

Thanks for your attention. I’m looking forward to your reply.

Can you please update your post to include the steps / things you have done so far?

BigBrother84

May 25, 2019
Hi,

Don't worry about your device.

In most cases you are able to fix it.

I did one step bad and damaged whole os. After some research and help got from members I restored everything and tried one more time and flashed successfully lineageos. I hope you know terminology like root, bootloader, recovery, partition blah blah. If no, type every word you don't understand.

So steps are:
1. Charge your device to 100% Backup files, passwords everything you have on your tablet. This process will wipe all your data apps settings
2. Install drivers and necessary tools. Adb fastboot, device drivers - very important if you are using Windows
3. Enable developer options in tablet settings and in it USB debugging and OEM unlock and use command adb devices to check if it works correctly.
4. Put twrp and lineage from this thread on SD card and insert it.
5. Use command adb reboot bootloader
6. Type fastboot devices to check if everything is ok
7. Use command fastboot oem unlock-go (here I don't remember if you have to reboot or it's not necessary, if yes, repeat steps from enabling USB debugging to adb reboot bootloader including)
8. With unlocked bootloader Use command fastboot flash recovery patchtorecovery
9. Using device keys combination reboot to recovery directly after flashing recovery don't boot to os because this removes flashed twrp
10. Allow modifications
11. Backup to SD EVERY PARTITION
12. Wipe or format mentioned in first post partitions in wipe section (If you are coming from stock, format data not only wipe)
13. Flash LineageOS zip
14. Reboot and enjoy

If something went wrong, try to rescue your device using MOTO Smart Assistant. If you can't, use MiFlash and kindly ask on second twrp threads for sending os package that MiFlash will use. (for me only MiFlash rescued my device)

I'm not responsible if your device won't boot up or something similar happen.

Read it 3 times and check if you understand everything. If no, don't do that cause only one step wrong and you have to play with rescuing process.

Last thing - I suggest you to wait for other member confirm I've written instructions without mistakes. I'm only a human ;)

Don't be afraid of rooting android. :good:

Reactions: drizzle123
Jun 4, 2015
Thanks for your reply

Well... it's not totally stupid, it's more of a "Are there the necessary files?" kind of question.
These should help as a start:
  • Cyanogenmod porting(almost the same as lineage):

You will need a beefy computer, we're talking about 8GB of RAM or more and maybe at least a I5 Intel processor.
    To even think about this.

Also note that this can get from hard to something beyond IMPOSSIBLE.

The process is mostly getting the blobs and fixing or bodging building errors.
    The building will also need to be done on Linux, preferably on the main machine for maximum performance.

You can try to adapt the device tree, but there is no guide and I personally don't know how you can manage it.

Hope this help, I will provide additional information according to your device, when I will feel like it.
    :good:

• Sadly I dont have such a computer!

One last question! ( please bear with my ignorance)
    Can I install a custom rom made for a different device with the same processor/hardware? I would be happy to just get it to boot somehow... so I can read my books and complete my studies in this lockdown ( I tried flashing stock firmware using qfil/mi flash tool but it always ends up in a boot loop)

BigBrother84

May 25, 2019
So I have question what to do with os freezing when I try to write files with su on / partition.

I was able to change bootanimation using adb booted in recovery without any problems but not build.prop located in the vendor partition, I think it is not avaliable in recovery.

BigBrother84

May 25, 2019
@Plant

Thank you so much :) I haven't got similar problems on rest devices with lineageos16 so that's why I lost.

You mentioned magisk module, but is it prepared only for stock system or lineage I have currently on tab 4 8?

Bosszwo

Mar 27, 2012
Managed to install Lineage on my TB-8504F, but it doesnt get past the Lineage boot animation, no matter how long I leave it.

Pushed TWRP to Recovery, formatted as required. Had to amend the Lineage image to remove the device checks, as although I definately have TB-8504F, it didnt like that TWRP reported it as TB_8504f - ?

Installed and installed GAPPS, cant get past load screen.

I do have a backup, so not concerned, but frustrated!

Any help appreciated

Same issue here. Did you manage to resolve it?

ValeraynM

May 10, 2020

I just installed this and it worked just fine.

I flashed the twrp from to op, rebooted in the twrp recover, then factory reset, used advance format to clear data, then used adb sideload to install the lineage image and open gapps nano. It took it about 5 minutes to boot the first time.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

How much of a process is it to go from building version 16 to lineage 17 for this device? It would be really cool to get android 10 you know.

Reactions: BigBrother84

r00724

Jun 5, 2011
I just installed this and it worked just fine.

I flashed the twrp from to op, rebooted in the twrp recover, then factory reset, used advance format to clear data, then used adb sideload to install the lineage image and open gapps nano. It took it about 5 minutes to boot the first time.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

How much of a process is it to go from building version 16 to lineage 17 for this device? It would be really cool to get android 10 you know.

I am a newbie here as well, tried this thread and made some progress. The tab did boot into the OS the first time, asked me to setup and then I realized I was missing gapps. Now, the tab is stuck in reboot loop... I see the startup screen with the little blue ring moving from right to left and then the tab boots into recovery mode. Cant get past this

Any suggestions?

weaa8675309

Feb 10, 2017
Managed to install Lineage on my TB-8504F, but it doesnt get past the Lineage boot animation, no matter how long I leave it.

Pushed TWRP to Recovery, formatted as required. Had to amend the Lineage image to remove the device checks, as although I definately have TB-8504F, it didnt like that TWRP reported it as TB_8504f - ?

Any help appreciated

Hey, just spent all day resolving this issue. I remembered seeing you two running into it as well, and wanted to make sure I came back here and follow up.

First, the solution: (I think these steps should work for both TB-8504f and TB-8504x variants, and honestly could be used with just about for any Lenovo device)
- Download and install Lenovo's "Rescue and Smart Assistant" software (Looks like it's Windows only, PM me if you're on Linux or MacOS and I'll try and share the stock image when I get time) https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291
- The program is pretty straightforward, but select "Rescue" -> "Lenovo Tablet" -> "Lenovo Tab4 8" -> etc. and select your device as precisely as you can.
- Download the stock image (mine was about 2gb) and when it finishes click "Rescue Now"
- Follow the instructions exactly - I tried to ignore parts about unplugging, turning it off, plugging it back in, etc because I thought they were walking me through booting into recovery. It seems like there really is some proprietary thing that kicks the restoration off when you plug the usb cable in with the device off while holding the "Volume Up" button.
- Once it finishes, you should boot back into the stock OS. It does take a while - I thought it was stuck in another bootloop, so I restarted my device once, but it eventually got past the boot screen.

From there, following the instructions in the OP should work.
- If you're reading this then you've probably already unlocked your bootloader, but just in case reboot into the bootloader and run "fastboot oem unlock-go"
- Then flash the version of TWRP linked in this post (v3.3.x, NOT the one linked in the large TWRP post for this device, which I believe is v3.2.x)
- Reboot into recovery (I had to physically do this, as the fastboot command kept rebooting me into the OS for some reason)
- Wipe Data -> Swipe for Factory Reset -> Advanced Settings -> Change "System", "Data", and "Cache" to use "F2FS" for the filesystem (this file system is a little faster than Ext4, but not at all necessary)
- From the home menu go to Advanced -> ADB Sideload and load the ROM, then load Gapps (I used Nano)
- That's it! It does take a little time to boot, so don't get scared and think you're in another boot loop. Eventually you'll see the setup wizard.

What I think happened is that somewhere earlier in the thread someone uploaded an ADB backup file for the TB-8504x with instructions on restoring it via ADB, and that messed something up in the vendor file for my TB-8504f.

Or, whatever firmware the tablet originally had was not fully compatible with this ROM or TWRP version, and whatever stock firmware Lenovo pushes through that recovery app is. Either way, I'm finally up and running. Wasted a whole day on it.

Last edited:

charlieforks

Dec 13, 2009
Hey, just spent all day resolving this issue. I remembered seeing you two running into it as well, and wanted to make sure I came back here and follow up.

First, the solution: (I think these steps should work for both TB-8504f and TB-8504x variants, and honestly could be used with just about for any Lenovo device)
- Download and install Lenovo's "Rescue and Smart Assistant" software (Looks like it's Windows only, PM me if you're on Linux or MacOS and I'll try and share the stock image when I get time) https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291
- The program is pretty straightforward, but select "Rescue" -> "Lenovo Tablet" -> "Lenovo Tab4 8" -> etc. and select your device as precisely as you can.
- Download the stock image (mine was about 2gb) and when it finishes click "Rescue Now"
- Follow the instructions exactly - I tried to ignore parts about unplugging, turning it off, plugging it back in, etc because I thought they were walking me through booting into recovery. It seems like there really is some proprietary thing that kicks the restoration off when you plug the usb cable in with the device off while holding the "Volume Up" button.
- Once it finishes, you should boot back into the stock OS. It does take a while - I thought it was stuck in another bootloop, so I restarted my device once, but it eventually got past the boot screen.

- If you're reading this then you've probably already unlocked your bootloader, but just in case reboot into the bootloader and run "fastboot oem unlock-go"
- Then flash the version of TWRP linked in this post (v3.3.x, NOT the one linked in the large TWRP post for this device, which I believe is v3.2.x)
- Reboot into recovery (I had to physically do this, as the fastboot command kept rebooting me into the OS for some reason)
- Wipe Data -> Swipe for Factory Reset -> Advanced Settings -> Change "System", "Data", and "Cache" to use "F2FS" for the filesystem (this file system is a little faster than Ext4, but not at all necessary)
- From the home menu go to Advanced -> ADB Sideload and load the ROM, then load Gapps (I used Nano)
- That's it! It does take a little time to boot, so don't get scared and think you're in another boot loop. Eventually you'll see the setup wizard.

What I think happened is that somewhere earlier in the thread someone uploaded an ADB backup file for the TB-8504x with instructions on restoring it via ADB, and that messed something up in the vendor file for my TB-8504f.

Or, whatever firmware the tablet originally had was not fully compatible with this ROM or TWRP version, and whatever stock firmware Lenovo pushes through that recovery app is. Either way, I'm finally up and running. Wasted a whole day on it.

Hoo boy. Another bites the dust. Wish I would have gone all the way through the forum before going Leeroy Jenkins. Thanks for posting the instructions though! I'll certainly be using the next time around. Would you happen to have the factory image? I'm on Linux, so no easy tools for me. Hope all is well!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.paulfasola.fr%2FCyanogenMod%2FLineageOS.png

Code:
    /*
     * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...). 
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it! 
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
     * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
     * Same statement for XDA.
     */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

What works:
    Calls/SMS/Mobile data
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    GPS
    Camera
    Audio
    FM radio
    WLAN and USB tethering
    Broken
    You tell me

Source code:
    device : https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_TB8504, https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_tb-common/tree/lineage-16.0-msm8937
    kernel: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953/tree/lineage-16.0-tb8504
    vendor: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/proprietary_vendor_lenovo/tree/lineage-16.0-msm8937

2020-03-19
    • Fixed USB flash mounting when using OTG
    mailru: lineage-16.0-20200319-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
    gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200319-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

Previous versions:

2020-03-13
    • Fixed graphical issues
    • Fixed USB modem mode
    • Selinux now enforcing
    mailru: lineage-16.0-20200313-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
    gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200313-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

2020-03-04
    • first release
    mailru: lineage-16.0-20200304-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
    gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200304-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

How to install
    You have to had TWRP installed from this thread TWRP and ROOT for Tab 4 8/10 (Plus) (TB-8704X/F/V,TB-X704L/F, TB-8504X/F, TB-X304L/F or one from link below

In TWRP clean Data if you coming from stock ROM and do Install of this ROM. If you have android 8 stock rom installed you have to format Data with data loss, because used encryption is incompatible with android 7.1

TWRP
    Built from omnirom android 9.0 source (twrp 3.3.1), includes same kernel as Lineage build, with support for pstore (kernel logs after crash), exfat, ntfs, reboot to EDL mode.
    mailru: twrp-3.3.1-1-TB8504.img
    gdrive: twrp-3.3.1-1-TB8504.img

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][tb8504f/x] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo TAB4 8, ROM for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet

Contributors
    highwaystar_ru
    Source Code: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953/tree/lineage-16.0-tb8504

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: LineageOs

Version Information

Created 2020-03-04
    Last Updated 2020-03-19
    Can this be installed on my 8704v?

No, it is only for 8504, it has different SOC.

Update here
    • Fixed graphical issues
    • Fixed USB modem mode
    • Selinux now enforcing

Any help appreciated

Update:
    2020-03-19
    • Fixed USB flash drives mounting connected by OTG
    Well, I didn't even try Magisk yet, so I cannot help you with that, also do you mind telling me how do you go back to stock ROM? Qfil?

I am a newbie in this area. I have used the advance wipe option to wipe out my system and reinstalled the custom ROM. May be a similar kind of process.

Just an update, Magisk is also now successfully installed!! Thank you!!