• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][tb8504f/x] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo TAB4 8

Search This thread

r00724

Jun 5, 2011
I just installed this and it worked just fine.

I flashed the twrp from to op, rebooted in the twrp recover, then factory reset, used advance format to clear data, then used adb sideload to install the lineage image and open gapps nano. It took it about 5 minutes to boot the first time.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

How much of a process is it to go from building version 16 to lineage 17 for this device? It would be really cool to get android 10 you know.

I am a newbie here as well, tried this thread and made some progress. The tab did boot into the OS the first time, asked me to setup and then I realized I was missing gapps. Now, the tab is stuck in reboot loop... I see the startup screen with the little blue ring moving from right to left and then the tab boots into recovery mode. Cant get past this

Any suggestions?

weaa8675309

Feb 10, 2017
Managed to install Lineage on my TB-8504F, but it doesnt get past the Lineage boot animation, no matter how long I leave it.

Pushed TWRP to Recovery, formatted as required. Had to amend the Lineage image to remove the device checks, as although I definately have TB-8504F, it didnt like that TWRP reported it as TB_8504f - ?

Installed and installed GAPPS, cant get past load screen.

I do have a backup, so not concerned, but frustrated!

Any help appreciated

Same issue here. Did you manage to resolve it?

Hey, just spent all day resolving this issue. I remembered seeing you two running into it as well, and wanted to make sure I came back here and follow up.

First, the solution: (I think these steps should work for both TB-8504f and TB-8504x variants, and honestly could be used with just about for any Lenovo device)
- Download and install Lenovo's "Rescue and Smart Assistant" software (Looks like it's Windows only, PM me if you're on Linux or MacOS and I'll try and share the stock image when I get time) https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291
- The program is pretty straightforward, but select "Rescue" -> "Lenovo Tablet" -> "Lenovo Tab4 8" -> etc. and select your device as precisely as you can.
- Download the stock image (mine was about 2gb) and when it finishes click "Rescue Now"
- Follow the instructions exactly - I tried to ignore parts about unplugging, turning it off, plugging it back in, etc because I thought they were walking me through booting into recovery. It seems like there really is some proprietary thing that kicks the restoration off when you plug the usb cable in with the device off while holding the "Volume Up" button.
- Once it finishes, you should boot back into the stock OS. It does take a while - I thought it was stuck in another bootloop, so I restarted my device once, but it eventually got past the boot screen.

From there, following the instructions in the OP should work.
- If you're reading this then you've probably already unlocked your bootloader, but just in case reboot into the bootloader and run "fastboot oem unlock-go"
- Then flash the version of TWRP linked in this post (v3.3.x, NOT the one linked in the large TWRP post for this device, which I believe is v3.2.x)
- Reboot into recovery (I had to physically do this, as the fastboot command kept rebooting me into the OS for some reason)
- Wipe Data -> Swipe for Factory Reset -> Advanced Settings -> Change "System", "Data", and "Cache" to use "F2FS" for the filesystem (this file system is a little faster than Ext4, but not at all necessary)
- From the home menu go to Advanced -> ADB Sideload and load the ROM, then load Gapps (I used Nano)
- That's it! It does take a little time to boot, so don't get scared and think you're in another boot loop. Eventually you'll see the setup wizard.

What I think happened is that somewhere earlier in the thread someone uploaded an ADB backup file for the TB-8504x with instructions on restoring it via ADB, and that messed something up in the vendor file for my TB-8504f.

Or, whatever firmware the tablet originally had was not fully compatible with this ROM or TWRP version, and whatever stock firmware Lenovo pushes through that recovery app is. Either way, I'm finally up and running. Wasted a whole day on it.

Last edited:

charlieforks

Dec 13, 2009
Hey, just spent all day resolving this issue. I remembered seeing you two running into it as well, and wanted to make sure I came back here and follow up.

First, the solution: (I think these steps should work for both TB-8504f and TB-8504x variants, and honestly could be used with just about for any Lenovo device)
- Download and install Lenovo's "Rescue and Smart Assistant" software (Looks like it's Windows only, PM me if you're on Linux or MacOS and I'll try and share the stock image when I get time) https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291
- The program is pretty straightforward, but select "Rescue" -> "Lenovo Tablet" -> "Lenovo Tab4 8" -> etc. and select your device as precisely as you can.
- Download the stock image (mine was about 2gb) and when it finishes click "Rescue Now"
- Follow the instructions exactly - I tried to ignore parts about unplugging, turning it off, plugging it back in, etc because I thought they were walking me through booting into recovery. It seems like there really is some proprietary thing that kicks the restoration off when you plug the usb cable in with the device off while holding the "Volume Up" button.
- Once it finishes, you should boot back into the stock OS. It does take a while - I thought it was stuck in another bootloop, so I restarted my device once, but it eventually got past the boot screen.

- If you're reading this then you've probably already unlocked your bootloader, but just in case reboot into the bootloader and run "fastboot oem unlock-go"
- Then flash the version of TWRP linked in this post (v3.3.x, NOT the one linked in the large TWRP post for this device, which I believe is v3.2.x)
- Reboot into recovery (I had to physically do this, as the fastboot command kept rebooting me into the OS for some reason)
- Wipe Data -> Swipe for Factory Reset -> Advanced Settings -> Change "System", "Data", and "Cache" to use "F2FS" for the filesystem (this file system is a little faster than Ext4, but not at all necessary)
- From the home menu go to Advanced -> ADB Sideload and load the ROM, then load Gapps (I used Nano)
- That's it! It does take a little time to boot, so don't get scared and think you're in another boot loop. Eventually you'll see the setup wizard.

What I think happened is that somewhere earlier in the thread someone uploaded an ADB backup file for the TB-8504x with instructions on restoring it via ADB, and that messed something up in the vendor file for my TB-8504f.

Or, whatever firmware the tablet originally had was not fully compatible with this ROM or TWRP version, and whatever stock firmware Lenovo pushes through that recovery app is. Either way, I'm finally up and running. Wasted a whole day on it.

Hoo boy. Another bites the dust. Wish I would have gone all the way through the forum before going Leeroy Jenkins. Thanks for posting the instructions though! I'll certainly be using the next time around. Would you happen to have the factory image? I'm on Linux, so no easy tools for me. Hope all is well!

MrDerp91

Jun 7, 2012
I had to retrieve my old account just in order to say thanks to highwaystar_ru, so, thanks so much! I have been wanting to get Lineage OS on my tablet for a long time.

Also, if other people also have some issues installing, I really want to note that before I finally got the lineageos zip to install I had to flash (fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.1-1-TB8504.imf) twrp on my tablet, just using boot wasn't enough, it would never install the zips.

offbeatdave

Oct 27, 2015
Brilliant ROM and thanks for the instructions throughout the thread re. specific steps/pitfalls. Working nicely apart from one app (The Times) which now displays text in a huge font regardless of device or app settings. Never occured as a problem on stock 7 or my other tablets, just since flashing with this. All other apps and text displays as expected. Changing settings in app and device doesn't help. Anything 'under the hood' I can try - quite happy to get my hands dirty.

Edit: Seems app doesn't work properly on my tablet beyond Android 7 - reflashed to stock 8 and font size is still a problem in the app.

Last edited:

hp25032003

Jun 9, 2020
man thanks a lot i have been searching for a custom rom for my lenovo tab 4 8 finally i found it thanks for developing it we want some more custom roms for lenovo tab 4 8

bpatterson007

Dec 4, 2010
Trying to install the Lineage .zip and I think it's stuck. Been staring at the TWRP bar with the blue going across it for like 30 minutes. It's been on this part:

Target: Lenovo/TB-8504X/TB-8504X:8.1.0/OPM1.171019.019/8504X_S001031_191204_ROW:user/release-keys
detected fileystem ext4 for /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system

Did I miss a step or something, or am I just being impatient? Do I need to reboot? Kinda confused what to do at this point.

UPDATE: I HAD to do this, otherwise the TWRP installation would NOT stay. Immediately after you flash twrp, DO NOT REBOOT, Press and hold volume up and power button.

The problem was that I had to reboot to twrp using key combination directly after flashing it by fastboot (when you reboot after flashing, stock recovery replace twrp).

Last edited:

Senyaka

Feb 28, 2013
Okay, so I did mine a little different and used a whole bunch of different things there to do what I needed to do.

First off I downloaded TWRP the 3.1 version. Yes I know it's not the latest, but I didn't have issues like I did with the later ones linked in the first post.

I then downloaded all the files needed. *when I first tried to flash the rom I kept getting error 7 so I used the guide in the Lineage OS forum

I copied all files to my SD card including TWRP.

I then installed TWRP the way mentioned in the first post. After booting in TWRP I flashed the TWRP img file to permanently have TWRP on the device. I then rebooted back into recovery and flashed the Rom/Gapps/Magisk and everything turned out fine.

I also tried the ADB sideload method and that worked just fine too.

I don't know if this will help everyone or anyone, but this is what worked for me to get it working on the Tablet.

Thanks muchly to the dev for this great Rom.

Birdman85

Jul 10, 2020
I think I may have this issue. I finally got my tab to read the SD card and could actually find the zip files but when I tried to patch my 3 zips it kept saying after each file

updating partition details
FAILED TO MOUNT '/DATA' (DEVICE OR RESOURCE BUSY)

I read through the Lineage one and it said

E3004: this package is for device:tb-8504X etc, this device is tb_8504x
Updater process ended with ERROR: 7
Updating partition details...
Failed to mount '/data' (AGAIN)

If I unpack the zip on my PC and sort the meta stuff out I'm hoping it will work.

Is there some partition thing I'm meant to do?

HELP

rohityadav07009

Aug 1, 2016
:)
Back camera not Working Please fix it!!!

Yes my Back Camera is also not working and something lower sound of the speakers than the stock's sound

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

I think I may have this issue. I finally got my tab to read the SD card and could actually find the zip files but when I tried to patch my 3 zips it kept saying after each file

updating partition details
FAILED TO MOUNT '/DATA' (DEVICE OR RESOURCE BUSY)

I read through the Lineage one and it said

E3004: this package is for device:tb-8504X etc, this device is tb_8504x
Updating partition details...
Failed to mount '/data' (AGAIN)

If I unpack the zip on my PC and sort the meta stuff out I'm hoping it will work.

Is there some partition thing I'm meant to do?

HELP

for ERROR: 7 you can unzip the OS and then go to meta inf and try to find update script in any of the folder ,,, open it in notepad and edit the codes and replace tb-8504X with tb_8504X and then save it as it is ,, without having any extension ,, compress it again amd then try

for "Failed to mount '/data' " ,, In the menu of twrp recovery --> wipe -> Advance wipe-> select data -> click on repair and change partition -> click on repair partition and swipe -> come back and click on change partition and change to partition to FAT OR exFat by swiping -> and again change your partition to EXT4 -> come back to main menu ,, -> Reboot ->Recovery

Onenoff332

May 14, 2020
Anybody working on LineageOS 16.1 with integrated MicroG?

Is there any development of this LineageOS 16.1 with integrated MicroG going on for the TAB 4? I have the 8504F.

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 AM ----------

Is there any development of this LineageOS 16.1 with integrated MicroG going on for the TAB 4? I have the 8504F.

New to this setup. Found NanoDroid and question answered...duh

Birdman85

Jul 10, 2020
So i sorted out the partition error thanks very much rohityadav and co.

Now im still stuck with this error.
Installing zip file '/blahblah.zip'
Checking for Digest file...
Skipping Digest Check: no Digest file found
Warning: No file_contexts
E3004: This package is for device; TB-8504X, TB-8504F, tb-8504x, tb-8504f; this device is tb_8504x.
Error installing zip fil '/blahblah'

Updating partition details...done

When i unzip the file and open up the metadata in notepad (C:\....\Lineage\META-INF\com\android) it says

ota-property-files=metadata:69:366
ota-required-cache=0
ota-type=BLOCK
post-build=Lenovo/tb_8504x/tb_8504x:8.1.0/OPM1.171019.019/8504x_S001031_191204_ROW:user/release-keys
post-build-incremental=eng.tomin.20200319.173330
post-sdk-level=28
post-security-patch-level=2020-01-05
post-timestamp=1584610395
pre-device=TB-8504X,TB-8504F,tb-8504x,tb-8504f,tb_8504,tb_8504X,tb_8504x

Anyone offer any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.paulfasola.fr%2FCyanogenMod%2FLineageOS.png

Code:
    /*
     * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...). 
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it! 
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
     * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
     * Same statement for XDA.
     */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

What works:
    Calls/SMS/Mobile data
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    GPS
    Camera
    Audio
    FM radio
    WLAN and USB tethering
    Broken
    You tell me

Source code:
    device : https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_TB8504, https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_tb-common/tree/lineage-16.0-msm8937
    kernel: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953/tree/lineage-16.0-tb8504
    vendor: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/proprietary_vendor_lenovo/tree/lineage-16.0-msm8937

2020-03-19
    • Fixed USB flash mounting when using OTG
    mailru: lineage-16.0-20200319-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
    gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200319-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

Previous versions:

2020-03-13
    • Fixed graphical issues
    • Fixed USB modem mode
    • Selinux now enforcing
    mailru: lineage-16.0-20200313-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
    gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200313-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

2020-03-04
    • first release
    mailru: lineage-16.0-20200304-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
    gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200304-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

How to install
    You have to had TWRP installed from this thread TWRP and ROOT for Tab 4 8/10 (Plus) (TB-8704X/F/V,TB-X704L/F, TB-8504X/F, TB-X304L/F or one from link below

In TWRP clean Data if you coming from stock ROM and do Install of this ROM. If you have android 8 stock rom installed you have to format Data with data loss, because used encryption is incompatible with android 7.1

TWRP
    Built from omnirom android 9.0 source (twrp 3.3.1), includes same kernel as Lineage build, with support for pstore (kernel logs after crash), exfat, ntfs, reboot to EDL mode.
    mailru: twrp-3.3.1-1-TB8504.img
    gdrive: twrp-3.3.1-1-TB8504.img

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][tb8504f/x] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo TAB4 8, ROM for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet

Contributors
    highwaystar_ru
    Source Code: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953/tree/lineage-16.0-tb8504

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: LineageOs

Version Information

Created 2020-03-04
    Last Updated 2020-03-19
    Can this be installed on my 8704v?

No, it is only for 8504, it has different SOC.

Update here
    • Fixed graphical issues
    • Fixed USB modem mode
    • Selinux now enforcing
    Managed to install Lineage on my TB-8504F, but it doesnt get past the Lineage boot animation, no matter how long I leave it.

Pushed TWRP to Recovery, formatted as required. Had to amend the Lineage image to remove the device checks, as although I definately have TB-8504F, it didnt like that TWRP reported it as TB_8504f - ?

Installed and installed GAPPS, cant get past load screen.

I do have a backup, so not concerned, but frustrated!

Any help appreciated

Same issue here. Did you manage to resolve it?

@Plant

Thank you so much :) I haven't got similar problems on rest devices with lineageos16 so that's why I lost.

You mentioned magisk module, but is it prepared only for stock system or lineage I have currently on tab 4 8?

Magisk is global, meaning it will work on almost every android device as long as it is Android KitKat or higher. Same with (some of) its modules.

If you still didn't get it, it means it's basically available on LineageOS, and any other ROM, be it stock or custom.
    Probably a stupid question... But is there any way to port this to x304l? any guide that maybe I could use... Any help will be appreciated!

Well... it's not totally stupid, it's more of a "Are there the necessary files?" kind of question.
    These should help as a start:

You will need a beefy computer, we're talking about 8GB of RAM or more and maybe at least a I5 Intel processor to even think about this.

Also note that this can get from hard to something beyond IMPOSSIBLE.

The process is mostly getting the blobs and fixing or bodging building errors.
    The building will also need to be done on Linux, preferably on the main machine for maximum performance.

You can try to adapt the device tree, but there is no guide and I personally don't know how you can manage it.

I hope this helps.