• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][tb8504f/x] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo TAB4 8

Search This thread

lccr193

May 15, 2019
I have this error: "Updater process ended with error: 7" Error installing ZIP FILE ´lineage-16.0-20200319-unofficial-TB8504.zip´ Please help.

Hello,
IF you get an error saying "E3004: This package is for device: TB-8504X,TB-8504F,tb-8504x,tb-8504f,tb_8504: this device is *your_device" then
You are trying to flash this to an unsupported device
[*OR
You need to unpack the zip file and in "META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script" delete every line of text until "ui_print*", then save updater-script and repack everything into a zip archive and flash in TWRP.
This was posted by the rom developer, go to Page-2 of this thread and have a look there if you want...
Edit: Let me know if it works/doesn't work...

---------- Post added at 04:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

I have this error: "Updater process ended with error: 7" Error installing ZIP FILE ´lineage-16.0-20200319-unofficial-TB8504.zip´ Please help.

Also, don't wipe the stock rom boot and system partition before installing this zip file, only format the data partition if you want to, because wiping the system partition and then installing this zip causes the os to not boot (boot partition can be wiped, but just to be safe, don't wipe it...)

Last edited:

lccr193

May 15, 2019

Well... it's not totally stupid, it's more of a "Are there the necessary files?" kind of question.
These should help as a start:

You will need a beefy computer, we're talking about 8GB of RAM or more and maybe at least a I5 Intel processor.
To even think about this.

Also note that this can get from hard to something beyond IMPOSSIBLE.

The process is mostly getting the blobs and fixing or bodging building errors.
The building will also need to be done on Linux, preferably on the main machine for maximum performance.

You can try to adapt the device tree, but there is no guide and I personally don't know how you can manage it.

Hope this help, I will provide additional information according to your device, when I will feel like it.
:good:

Hey, @adazem009 you might find the links helpful in your porting process...

bmwjavier

Mar 31, 2007
Hello,
IF you get an error saying "E3004: This package is for device: TB-8504X,TB-8504F,tb-8504x,tb-8504f,tb_8504: this device is *your_device" then
You are trying to flash this to an unsupported device
[*OR
You need to unpack the zip file and in "META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script" delete every line of text until "ui_print*", then save updater-script and repack everything into a zip archive and flash in TWRP.
This was posted by the rom developer, go to Page-2 of this thread and have a look there if you want...
Edit: Let me know if it works/doesn't work...

I have an tb8504f with android 7.1.1 (stock Rom)

---------- Post added at 04:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

Also, don't wipe the stock rom boot and system partition before installing this zip file, only format the data partition if you want to, because wiping the system partition and then installing this zip causes the os to not boot (boot partition can be wiped, but just to be safe, don't wipe it...)

I did everything you say but I get this error:

Z9tI9c7.jpg

Last edited:

lccr193

May 15, 2019
No, I didnt wipe the system partition.

Is your stock rom android 8.1?
Also, I can send you the TWRP backup of the boot and system and system image partitions of Lineage OS so that you can restore them, and try it that way...
If you want to install it from my backup, let me know, and also the overall downloads of the 3 partitions can be from 4-5 GB, so please make sure that you have a stable/speedy internet...
Let me know if you want to try the TWRP method, I will post Google drive links...
Edit: My boot partition has magisk installed, of you want the boot partition without magisk, then I can post the boot.img file for you to flash...

adazem009

TB-8504X/F users:
Here are some news about LineageOS 17.1 porting:
  • I've got all the sources I need, except the device tree. It has to be ported, but it shouldn't be too hard.
  • I've already started with LineageOS 17.1 source download. It'll probably take a few days and then I can start with the porting.
If someone has experience in device tree creating and/or ROM building, please PM me if you'd like to help :)

Reactions: hussainr

Loranas

Dec 14, 2020
Hello, after flashing rom having this for long time and no result, same after reboot. Any ideas how to fix it. Thanks for help.
IMG_20201214_120755.jpg

Last edited:

Loranas

Dec 14, 2020
I'm not sure what the issue is, but, try fresh once again, flash the tab using QFIL then unlock bootloader and then try flashing it...
I'm not able to do that com port would appear (tried many ways and different pc's), I can reach by adb ant twpr, is any way to flash stock rom by this way. I lost backup :(. Sorry for dumb questions I'm just beginner.
1608034155873.png

Last edited:
Have only had this tablet a couple of months and was very excited to see this custom ROM for it. Flash TWRP and the ROM earlier today and so far, I've had no trouble. Everything works from what I can see other than no Dolby. Was anyone able to get it working with this ROM? I've gone through the whole thread and didn't see that there was a remedy, other than Viper4Android (which I've used before but really would rather the Dolby software). Thanks and keep up the great work! BTW, I also have the Lenovo Tab M10 (model TB-X505X). I believe I saw that someone asked for this ROM to be ported to that tablet so I could help out with that, though it did get the update early this morning to Android 10.

Pitichouw

Nov 26, 2012
Hello,

I just wanted to thanks OP for his work, and everyone that gave advices on this thread.

One of my ex employer offered the TB-8504F as a welcome gift like a millions year ago, i bricked it the very first day i got it because i was not very well versed into android customisation/rom.
I never wanted to trash it away because "we never know", and today i saw this post and managed to unbrick it, unlock it, install TWRP 3.3.xxx (don't remember sorry) and install this rom with OpenGapps (Mini) and Magisk. within an hour.

Rom is working flawlessly (given the low hardware spec of 2 gigs of ram.. ), battery simply refuse to die. (after 6 HOURS of charge tho..)

the only thing not working is the second speaker (i think it's a Dolby Atmos issue as mentionned earlier)
anyone got it working ? I tried "VIPER4AndroidFX" but no luck (i'm a sh*it on sound/driver so that may explain ^^' )
(EDIT: the second speaker finally IS working =) )

if anyone got another interesting Android (or even Linux) ROM to install, don't hesitate to contact me if you need a test/labrat/beta-tester.
OP: are any Lineage/Android update planned for this hardware ?

Thank you a lot Sir/Mam ! <3

1609796253828.png 1609796269780.png 1609796338683.png

Last edited:

babo1069

Jan 16, 2016
Is your stock rom android 8.1?
Also, I can send you the TWRP backup of the boot and system and system image partitions of Lineage OS so that you can restore them, and try it that way...
If you want to install it from my backup, let me know, and also the overall downloads of the 3 partitions can be from 4-5 GB, so please make sure that you have a stable/speedy internet...
Let me know if you want to try the TWRP method, I will post Google drive links...
Edit: My boot partition has magisk installed, of you want the boot partition without magisk, then I can post the boot.img file for you to flash...

Could you please send it to me ??

Can a friend who can install Lineage OS 16 send backup files?

Sakhard

Mar 25, 2019
Hello!

Any help?

I managed to flash TWRP from the post and did the necessary wipes from TWRP. After this I installed the lineage OS with adb sideload and tried to boot. Now the Lineage OS boot sequence just loops forever. I leaved the tablet in that state for night hoping that it just takes long, but still in the booting sequence. What I have tried:

- Reflashed twrp 3.2.3 from the post
- Tried to install Lineage OS from the post with ADB sideload and directly from internal memory
- Tried to flash gapps nano same time
- Leaved the booting sequence for few hours, rebooted and wiped caches and leaved it booting for the night

I also tried to recover the tablet with Lenovo rescue and smart assistant as @weaa8675309 instructed at page 3, but recovery fails for some reason.

KasRoudra

Apr 12, 2021
http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.paulfasola.fr%2FCyanogenMod%2FLineageOS.png

Code:
/*
* I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
* Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
* Same statement for XDA.
*/

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

What works:
Calls/SMS/Mobile data
Wifi
Bluetooth
GPS
Camera
Audio
FM radio
WLAN and USB tethering
Broken
You tell me

Source code:
device : https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_TB8504, https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_tb-common/tree/lineage-16.0-msm8937
kernel: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953/tree/lineage-16.0-tb8504
vendor: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/proprietary_vendor_lenovo/tree/lineage-16.0-msm8937

2020-03-19
  • Fixed USB flash mounting when using OTG
mailru: lineage-16.0-20200319-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200319-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

Previous versions:

2020-03-13
  • Fixed graphical issues
  • Fixed USB modem mode
  • Selinux now enforcing
mailru: lineage-16.0-20200313-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200313-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

2020-03-04
  • first release
mailru: lineage-16.0-20200304-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200304-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

How to install
You have to had TWRP installed from this thread TWRP and ROOT for Tab 4 8/10 (Plus) (TB-8704X/F/V,TB-X704L/F, TB-8504X/F, TB-X304L/F or one from link below

In TWRP clean Data if you coming from stock ROM and do Install of this ROM. If you have android 8 stock rom installed you have to format Data with data loss, because used encryption is incompatible with android 7.1

TWRP
Built from omnirom android 9.0 source (twrp 3.3.1), includes same kernel as Lineage build, with support for pstore (kernel logs after crash), exfat, ntfs, reboot to EDL mode.
mailru: twrp-3.3.1-1-TB8504.img
gdrive: twrp-3.3.1-1-TB8504.img

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][tb8504f/x] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo TAB4 8, ROM for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet

Contributors
highwaystar_ru
Source Code: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953/tree/lineage-16.0-tb8504

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
Based On: LineageOs

Version Information
Testing

Created 2020-03-04
Last Updated 2020-03-19
Thanks a lot. I recovered my device with this rom while os was deleted!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.paulfasola.fr%2FCyanogenMod%2FLineageOS.png

Code:
    /*
     * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...). 
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it! 
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
     * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
     * Same statement for XDA.
     */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

What works:
    Calls/SMS/Mobile data
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    GPS
    Camera
    Audio
    FM radio
    WLAN and USB tethering
    Broken
    You tell me

Source code:
    device : https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_TB8504, https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_device_lenovo_tb-common/tree/lineage-16.0-msm8937
    kernel: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953/tree/lineage-16.0-tb8504
    vendor: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/proprietary_vendor_lenovo/tree/lineage-16.0-msm8937

2020-03-19
    • Fixed USB flash mounting when using OTG
    mailru: lineage-16.0-20200319-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
    gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200319-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

Previous versions:

2020-03-13
    • Fixed graphical issues
    • Fixed USB modem mode
    • Selinux now enforcing
    mailru: lineage-16.0-20200313-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
    gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200313-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

2020-03-04
    • first release
    mailru: lineage-16.0-20200304-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip
    gdrive: lineage-16.0-20200304-UNOFFICIAL-TB8504.zip

How to install
    You have to had TWRP installed from this thread TWRP and ROOT for Tab 4 8/10 (Plus) (TB-8704X/F/V,TB-X704L/F, TB-8504X/F, TB-X304L/F or one from link below

In TWRP clean Data if you coming from stock ROM and do Install of this ROM. If you have android 8 stock rom installed you have to format Data with data loss, because used encryption is incompatible with android 7.1

TWRP
    Built from omnirom android 9.0 source (twrp 3.3.1), includes same kernel as Lineage build, with support for pstore (kernel logs after crash), exfat, ntfs, reboot to EDL mode.
    mailru: twrp-3.3.1-1-TB8504.img
    gdrive: twrp-3.3.1-1-TB8504.img

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][tb8504f/x] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo TAB4 8, ROM for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet

Contributors
    highwaystar_ru
    Source Code: https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953/tree/lineage-16.0-tb8504

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: LineageOs

Version Information

Created 2020-03-04
    Last Updated 2020-03-19
    Can this be installed on my 8704v?

No, it is only for 8504, it has different SOC.

Update here
    • Fixed graphical issues
    • Fixed USB modem mode
    • Selinux now enforcing
    Managed to install Lineage on my TB-8504F, but it doesnt get past the Lineage boot animation, no matter how long I leave it.

Pushed TWRP to Recovery, formatted as required. Had to amend the Lineage image to remove the device checks, as although I definately have TB-8504F, it didnt like that TWRP reported it as TB_8504f - ?

Installed and installed GAPPS, cant get past load screen.

I do have a backup, so not concerned, but frustrated!

Any help appreciated

Same issue here. Did you manage to resolve it?

Hey, just spent all day resolving this issue. I remembered seeing you two running into it as well, and wanted to make sure I came back here and follow up.

First, the solution: (I think these steps should work for both TB-8504f and TB-8504x variants, and honestly could be used with just about for any Lenovo device)
    - Download and install Lenovo's "Rescue and Smart Assistant" software (Looks like it's Windows only, PM me if you're on Linux or MacOS and I'll try and share the stock image when I get time) https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291
    - The program is pretty straightforward, but select "Rescue" -> "Lenovo Tablet" -> "Lenovo Tab4 8" -> etc. and select your device as precisely as you can.
    - Download the stock image (mine was about 2gb) and when it finishes click "Rescue Now"
    - Follow the instructions exactly - I tried to ignore parts about unplugging, turning it off, plugging it back in, etc because I thought they were walking me through booting into recovery. It seems like there really is some proprietary thing that kicks the restoration off when you plug the usb cable in with the device off while holding the "Volume Up" button.
    - Once it finishes, you should boot back into the stock OS. It does take a while - I thought it was stuck in another bootloop, so I restarted my device once, but it eventually got past the boot screen.

From there, following the instructions in the OP should work.
    - If you're reading this then you've probably already unlocked your bootloader, but just in case reboot into the bootloader and run "fastboot oem unlock-go"
    - Then flash the version of TWRP linked in this post (v3.3.x, NOT the one linked in the large TWRP post for this device, which I believe is v3.2.x)
    - Reboot into recovery (I had to physically do this, as the fastboot command kept rebooting me into the OS for some reason)
    - Wipe Data -> Swipe for Factory Reset -> Advanced Settings -> Change "System", "Data", and "Cache" to use "F2FS" for the filesystem (this file system is a little faster than Ext4, but not at all necessary)
    - From the home menu go to Advanced -> ADB Sideload and load the ROM, then load Gapps (I used Nano)
    - That's it! It does take a little time to boot, so don't get scared and think you're in another boot loop. Eventually you'll see the setup wizard.

What I think happened is that somewhere earlier in the thread someone uploaded an ADB backup file for the TB-8504x with instructions on restoring it via ADB, and that messed something up in the vendor file for my TB-8504f.

Or, whatever firmware the tablet originally had was not fully compatible with this ROM or TWRP version, and whatever stock firmware Lenovo pushes through that recovery app is. Either way, I'm finally up and running. Wasted a whole day on it.
    Update:
    2020-03-19
    • Fixed USB flash drives mounting connected by OTG
    Well, I didn't even try Magisk yet, so I cannot help you with that, also do you mind telling me how do you go back to stock ROM? Qfil?

I am a newbie in this area. I have used the advance wipe option to wipe out my system and reinstalled the custom ROM. May be a similar kind of process.

Just an update, Magisk is also now successfully installed!! Thank you!!