• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][tb8704f/x] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo TAB4 8 plus

Search This thread

Muad.Dib

Hi, latest build available with the June security patch.

All I did was sync the repo and build - the latest patch was added by the LOS team.

Download lineage-16.0-20200618-UNOFFICIAL-TB8704.zip

Thank you very much! I'll try to apply this as ASAP.

Also thanks for the very detailed guide. I'll try to go through it when I have some time and let you know how it goes.
I am planning to set this up on a Rpi4 with latest Rasbian, I shall see how it works.

Regards!

Muad.Dib

You're welcome - make sure your RPi4 has enough space for ccache.

Define 'enough space'?
I quickly saw 50G in your settings, but I am wondering why it would need this much for something which is only ~500MB zipped in the end. I am not fully aware of the mechanics at stake here, so just wondering.
I'll pick the SD card in consequence that's only a few bucks difference anyway :)

Thanks again for your help!

Best regards!

lancebuks

Mar 29, 2012
Yokosuka
Define 'enough space'?
I quickly saw 50G in your settings, but I am wondering why it would need this much for something which is only ~500MB zipped in the end. I am not fully aware of the mechanics at stake here, so just wondering.
I'll pick the SD card in consequence that's only a few bucks difference anyway :)

Thanks again for your help!

Best regards!
ccache is used to speed up compile time so the next compile is faster. For example in my case the first compile time was around 2 hours 30 minutes, the next compile time was around 25 minutes. The rom may be around 500MB but during compile it spits out gigs of stuff that are saved to the ccache, so the larger the cache the more can be saved for next time.
You'll also need a bunch of space since you need to download the lineage repo.
In my case I'm using 500GB in my VM.

My LOS folder after downloading the Lineage repo takes up 38GB. My ccache is around 17GB after compiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muad.Dib

Muad.Dib

ccache is used to speed up compile time so the next compile is faster. For example in my case the first compile time was around 2 hours 30 minutes, the next compile time was around 25 minutes. The rom may be around 500MB but during compile it spits out gigs of stuff that are saved to the ccache, so the larger the cache the more can be saved for next time.
You'll also need a bunch of space since you need to download the lineage repo.
In my case I'm using 500GB in my VM.

My LOS folder after downloading the Lineage repo takes up 38GB. My ccache is around 17GB after compiling.

Thank you very much for the very valuable intel you shared. Thanks to them I will make it work at some point for sure! Given sizes will surely help me to choose the devices I am going to choose, that's a very good start! :good:

Regards!

Reactions: lancebuks

hatski

Oct 3, 2007
Hi Guys,

I was on 7.1.x, I installed twrp as per the link provided.
Went into TWRP did an advanced wipe of data, cache, dalvik.
Installed this ROM and got stuck "patching system image unconditionally" for half an hour
I ended up having to force power off

Now boots to black screen.

I can get to the menu holding volume up and power, I can also get to fastboot but when I try to list devices it shows no devices, so it's not connecting. I used fastboot to install twrp so it was working before.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

huunn

Jun 27, 2020
In 8704V,
1. Lockscreen message doesn't show up.
2. USB Type-C AC adapters for laptops doesn't charge the device. (5~20V 45W ac adapters that worked in stock rom. LED lights up orange but battery indicator shows no charging sign.)

(System info recognizes 8704V as 8704X, but no big deal.)
Thanks for the port.

Last edited:

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
If you're going to install LOS, you may as well go for the latest.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/th...m-lineageos-17-1-lenovo-tab-4-8-plus-t4107791
Also do this to remove encryption at least temporarily:
TWRP/Wipe/Format Data/Yes.
In many cases of "It won't boot" this is the reason - the data partition is not usable. Formatting, as opposed to only wiping, resets it.
For connecting, try the usual - different cable, USB slots, etc., though the problem may well clear once you've done the format.

Reactions: hatski

hatski

Oct 3, 2007
If you're going to install LOS, you may as well go for the latest.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/th...m-lineageos-17-1-lenovo-tab-4-8-plus-t4107791
Also do this to remove encryption at least temporarily:
TWRP/Wipe/Format Data/Yes.
In many cases of "It won't boot" this is the reason - the data partition is not usable. Formatting, as opposed to only wiping, resets it.
For connecting, try the usual - different cable, USB slots, etc., though the problem may well clear once you've done the format.

Great, thanks for the reply.

Addressing your points one by one:

Agreed, I'll install the latest, I've downloaded the ROM already.
I'd like to format but I can only boot into the stock recovery, TWRP got wiped while trying to flash the ROM.
I've tried 2 cables and this is what I'm getting:

C:\adb>adb devices
List of devices attached
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully

C:\adb>adb devices
List of devices attached

C:\adb>

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
Last edited:

hatski

Oct 3, 2007
Thanks Dahawthorne.

Used fastboot to get twrp on. My mistake was assuming that since ADB devices was not returning a list of connected devices, I wouldn't be able to do anything.

So the latest is that I can only ever get into twrp by flashing it via adb. It never persists after a reboot.

Went into twrp anyway and did a wipe as you described and then installed the 17.1 ROM.

It's been stuck for several hours installing. Please see screen shot.

Last edited:

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
You need to install TWRP as I described (fastboot flash recovery twrp.img), wipe all partitions, format data ("yes"), then install the ROM, OpenGapps Pico 64-bit for Android 10, Magisk 20.4 if you want root, reboot. If that doesn't work then I can't think of alternatives - it always has for me.
Anyone else...?

Reactions: hatski

hatski

Oct 3, 2007
You need to install TWRP as I described (fastboot flash recovery twrp.img), wipe all partitions, format data ("yes"), then install the ROM, OpenGapps Pico 64-bit for Android 10, Magisk 20.4 if you want root, reboot. If that doesn't work then I can't think of alternatives - it always has for me.
Anyone else...?

Sorry man, I don't know what's wrong with me! I was incorrectly running this:

fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-0-tb_8704x.img

I'll try again, thanks for bearing with me!

Reactions: dahawthorne

hatski

Oct 3, 2007
Anyone else...?

Okay so I flashed TWRP as you described:

fastboot flash twrp-3.2.3-0-tb_8704x.img

I also wiped all partitions and formatted as you advised. I then installed the ROM.

Got all the way to the end of the install and TWRP gave me the option to reboot and so I did.

Now it starts to boot into the ROM and I'm seeing the curved blue line and circle boot animation and it's just continuously running that animation, been stuck for an hour.

Now might be a good time for me to move to the relevant thread. Thanks for your help up until now, see you there maybe?

Sage

Dec 12, 2005
AU
Xiaomi Mi 11
Okay so I flashed TWRP as you described:

fastboot flash twrp-3.2.3-0-tb_8704x.img

I also wiped all partitions and formatted as you advised. I then installed the ROM.

Got all the way to the end of the install and TWRP gave me the option to reboot and so I did.

Now it starts to boot into the ROM and I'm seeing the curved blue line and circle boot animation and it's just continuously running that animation, been stuck for an hour.

Now might be a good time for me to move to the relevant thread. Thanks for your help up until now, see you there maybe?

Everything up and running now.

Twrp 3.3.1-0 tb-8704
from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=81627509&postcount=2031

and this ROM
lineage-17.1-20200607-UNOFFICIAL-TB8704.zip
from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/th...b-4-8-plus-t4107791/post82778301#post82778301

Thanks all :good:

What was the fix for the continuous boot error?

Top Liked Posts