• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0][tb8704f/x] LineageOS 16.0 for Lenovo TAB4 8 plus

Search This thread

Birdman85

Jul 10, 2020
Can anyone help me? I have been trying to install Lineage on my Tab 4 for a while now without luck.

I installed TWRP (but the only way I can get it to boot is via a command prompt).

When I try and install Lineage, GApps and Magisk I can't find it anywhere. I downloaded it on both the SD and the HD but none of the files in TWRP match up. Is there a way I can sideload via a command prompt or am I doing something wrong?
Birdy

swieder711

Can anyone help me? I have been trying to install Lineage on my Tab 4 for a while now without luck.

I installed TWRP (but the only way I can get it to boot is via a command prompt).

When I try and install Lineage, GApps and Magisk I can't find it anywhere. I downloaded it on both the SD and the HD but none of the files in TWRP match up. Is there a way I can sideload via a command prompt or am I doing something wrong?

Birdy
Have you tried "Select storage" while in TWRP Install? I put LOS, Gapps and magisk on my SD card and select that storage from TWRP.

Also, are you using the latest TWRP 3.3.1-0?

Last edited:

nanohead

Oct 28, 2013
I just successfully did this following dahawthorne's procedure in Post #392. I installed onto a 8704V.

FYI, from TWRP, I did exactly the procedure, but as its a V variant, I installed the V Kernel right after I installed Lineage, then installed GApps. Took a few minutes to boot, but when it came up, it ran Great!!! Thanks for everyone's work.

Also, FWIW, I had a bit of a hard time with TWRP at first. After the first TWRP fastboot, the tablet got stuck in the Lenovo screen boot hang. I was able to successfully PWR/Vol+ back to fastboot, then used Lenovo Rescue to reflash the tablet, then was able to successfully install everything else.

suhridkhan

Apr 27, 2013
Colorado
Hi, latest build available with the July security patch.

All I did was sync the repo and build - the latest patch was added by the LOS team.

Download lineage-16.0-20200712-UNOFFICIAL-TB8704.zip

I suggest using my TWRP

Thank you very much for your continued development. LOS17 hasn't been as stable for me, and I am sticking with 16 for now. Hopefully you can continue this till when 17 becomes better.

swieder711

In case anyone is interested I updated TWRP to 3.4.0-0

I can confirm that it works on the TB-8704X and hopefully it's work on the F and V as well.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=81627509&postcount=2031
I updated my 8704-F from 3.3.1 to 3.4 and lost screen touch. I am going to downgrade back to 3.3.1.

Update: I flashed back to 3.3.1 and have touch again while in TWRP.

Update2: My mistake. I just installed the F version and touch is working fine. It helps when I followed directions.

Last edited:
Reactions: lancebuks

sudesh.kumarh2

Sep 27, 2017
Fingerprint not working

In Lenovo Tab 4 8bplus Tb-8704x

Fingerprint setup showing in a diiferent phone image
Its a.back fingerprint so it cannot be detcet.
TheTab fingerprint is located on side
So kindly fix that isssue
And google.assistant not working
Its says download failed unable to detect model

In first setup after installing you dont connect wifi
Otherwise it will stuck in google assistant loading

lancebuks

Mar 29, 2012
Yokosuka
I updated my 8704-F from 3.3.1 to 3.4 and lost screen touch. I am going to downgrade back to 3.3.1.

Update: I flashed back to 3.3.1 and have touch again while in TWRP.

Update2: My mistake. I just installed the F version and touch is working fine. It helps when I followed directions.
nice - glad to know that i didn't screw anything up :)

Reactions: swieder711

quattro527

Aug 3, 2012
Just wanted to add a note about the bootloops and being stick at the boot animation for the 8704V:

Prior to flashing, be sure to MOUNT /data. /system, /cache in TWRP first so that it actually sees it. Also make sure to mount /system as "Allow" and not Read Only. Now go ahead and WIPE all 3 partitions. Now REBOOT back into TWRP.

Again try to MOUNT /system, then go ahead with the OS flash of zip, perform another WIPE DATA before trying to flash the boot image file, REBOOT back into fastboot.

fastboot erase boot
fastboot flash boot boot-los17.1-tb8704v-20200531.img

For some reason TWRP fails to properly wipe and flash the boot partition. In my case, TWRP could not recognize my boot partition filesystem (emmc). The fastboot and force wipe/flash did the trick for me. Reboot.

This managed to fix my booting issues--and hope this helps someone out there on the same boat. These are the steps I performed--even though a bit excess and unnecessary, but always good to make sure that TWRP is actually seeing these partitions properly and that they are being wiped properly. In my case, TWRP wasn't flashing the boot image properly--hence the booting issues.

Reactions: Acel337 and Sage

Muad.Dib

Is there an MD5SUM for this file so one can be sure the hoster is not messing with it. A lot of those sites like to add installers that add maleware/spamware.
Would a sum of the last package I installed and am running since release on my own tablet enough for you? I have not seen any suspicious stuff when I checked for bloatwares to remove or uninstall like I do for every OS or ROM. Not having the usual Google or Lenovo crap by default (if you do not install Gapps that is) not much left to disable here.

Let me know.

Regards.

Techwolf 

Jan 14, 2015
SGH-T989
Moto G4 Plus
Would a sum of the last package I installed and am running since release on my own tablet enough for you? I have not seen any suspicious stuff when I checked for bloatwares to remove or uninstall like I do for every OS or ROM. Not having the usual Google or Lenovo crap by default (if you do not install Gapps that is) not much left to disable here.
That will do. Its better then nothing. At least I will know I got a good non-corrupted download. In years past, I had an isp that would actually corrupt large downloads. Today is a bit better due to everything is ssl now a days and a single bit error will cause the entire packet to be rejected and resent.

Update: Turns out the zip file has a sign that TWRP can check before installing. I did that and had no issues. I now have a TB-8704F with plain lineageos. Going to test it for a while before adding microg for the two gapps that I use. Everything else I use off F-droid or sideloaded.

Last edited:

Muad.Dib

That will do. Its better then nothing. At least I will know I got a good non-corrupted download. In years past, I had an isp that would actually corrupt large downloads. Today is a bit better due to everything is ssl now a days and a single bit error will cause the entire packet to be rejected and resent.

Update: Turns out the zip file has a sign that TWRP can check before installing. I did that and had no issues. I now have a TB-8704F with plain lineageos. Going to test it for a while before adding microg for the two gapps that I use. Everything else I use off F-droid or sideloaded.

I was not fast enough ;)

Usually when you can open the zip without winzip throwing errors at your face, it at least is not corrupted. However if I remember correctly, I had to disable that zip verification in TWRP for it to work with something, maybe it was lineage or root, cannot remember.
Ever since android was released and I switched from blackberry, i have never ever used or logged a google account on one of my android devices, no gapp, no gdrive, no gmail, never had issues. Only fdroid, apkudater and manual sideload of what I want/need is the way I go.

The only thing I dont like about the lineage OS (v16) is i cannot turn the notifications area to black :cry:

Regards!

Muad.Dib

lineage-16.0-20210515-UNOFFICIAL-TB8704
latest build available with the May 2021 security patch.

The sources used were the one provided on page 1 based on Lenovo-devs work.
Nothing would have been possible without the help and guidance of @lancebuks in this very thread, so huge thanks to him too.

All I did was sync the repo and build - the latest security patch was added by the LOS team.

Hope this helps,

lineage-16.0-20210515-UNOFFICIAL-TB8704.png

LOS16 Downloads for TB-8704
2021, May 5th security patch
md5sum : a5aff8c3302fde4b4fd5b3559e8a4c48
[GDrive] : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EawGoH_CATWFocr5BRE7o7hPHdpSLg-5/view?usp=sharing
[ MEGA ] : https://mega.nz/file/jI1nXQBR#z8ApZ2K26pkweERjn-4K_-zpb0rDQhGYT9ZJSue3fJQ
[Yandex] : https://disk.yandex.com/d/qh8wrSai-Up5bg

Reactions: Hemphiz and Krizzii

Muad.Dib

Glad to see you back @lancebuks ! I'll be honored when you install one of my builds on your tab if you still have it, after I used yours for so long hé hé ;)

For all of those interested here is a new TESTING build.
It has all of the previous one shared few days ago + a feature I like:
3 fingers swipe screenshot. code has been reviewed by the LOS team, but they are debating whether or not it brings anything worth adding or not. I think it does. Make yourself your own idea.
I've tested it the past few days and it seems to work just fine, I dont think it takes a toll on anything else, but I'd like to see your returns

md5sum : eb2606f49b9706777dbf6ac03c0ff7f0

If everything works fine for everyone, I'll keep the feature in monthly updates.

Enjoy!

Top Liked Posts