[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][A11][F500,LS991,H81x,US991,VS986] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Thanks for you answer, you're an angel :)

So:

- Point 2: No I was not talking about ram storage. It was normal storage. 8,7Gb of 32 Gb.

- SELinux point: "I would never use a phone without fully working selinux but this takes a lot of time implementing it (correctly)." - So why are you then not writing a note in the start post of the thread about the SELinux problem? People should know that this rom is not very secure, but only okay-ish regarding the security point and only okay-ish if you are always very aware about what you doing on your phone, which not many are all the time.
And also: Do you think you can get SELinux working this year or you don't have enough time for that?

But still big thanks for all the effort so far.
99% of ppl don't care about their privacy (i know what I'm talking about). 90% don't even read about this and the impacts.

It would not make any diff to write about such things here. I do that for years and still nobody cares.

And again selinux is just one barrier in fighting against the bad. Encryption, locking the bootloader, and think before act are other barriers and all of them are important but ppl installing custom ROMs care more about features then about things like security or privacy.

Custom ROMs had selinux on permissive over years and nobody cared. Even worse there were twrp zips which disables encryption and selinux which were the first thing ppl did when google started to enforce selinux. ROM devs recommended (not me) doing that over years. Should tell you everything.

Just to be clear the OP has a clear hint about the known issues - ofc including selinux = permissive!

Other then that LOS is not that privacy friendly. That's why I build eOS as LOS contains still a lot of google spyware and the reason why i would never install gapps or even LOS on my personal phone. I build eOS for my DD (oneplus 7tpro) as I am paranoid, ofc selinux enabled and even bootloader LOCKED - which is as important as selinux btw. (Only a few devices allow locking the bootloader and one of the reasons why i had bought onrplus).

The plan is doing eOS next , then encryption, then selinux. I have no idea about when. Maybe in the next months maybe not. That depends a lot of my RL which consumes a lot of time atm (since several months though).

Reactions: hteles
vs986 running the latest ROM (20220524) with pico gapps (if that helps)... runs pretty slowly under load and heats up quickly. a lot of lag going on which i don't see on other devices that I put custom ROMs on too, unfortunately. hopefully this helps, followed the steps you wrote to report lag/overheating.

cheers,
katheryn

Attachments

• log.txt
    58.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: steadfasterX

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
vs986 running the latest ROM (20220524) with pico gapps (if that helps)... runs pretty slowly under load and heats up quickly. a lot of lag going on which i don't see on other devices that I put custom ROMs on too, unfortunately. hopefully this helps, followed the steps you wrote to report lag/overheating.

cheers,
katheryn
The main prob here is your device gets (too) hot. This activates the thermal engine throttling to cool down the cpu and that means lagging.

There are high chances you have a device affected by the ilapo. Check the first 3 digits of your serial (usually on a sticker behind the battery) if it's lower then 603 you might need to find a new phone soon.

Reactions: hteles

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
MAC randomization

thanks for you answer.

I previously had already checked all items you mentioned without success.
I have attached some screenshots from my G4 and my OP7Pro to show the difference in the settings options (relevant items marked yellow).

So, if it is possible, it would be nice to get the missing Privacy option in Network Settings.

Thanks in advance and
best regards
w.m.
ok finally had the time looking into this.

1. our wifi driver does not support the "new" mac randomization method by Android - that's why you do not see the Privacy menu in the WiFi setting (we cannot do anything about that)
2. yes the wifi mac (and likely bluetooth mac) changes on every boot nevertheless

background:
we had issues in the past where the mac cant be read from the MISC partition and so we added a service to fix that - if that' happens.
when it could be read from the MISC partition it was simply written as it is to a file in /data.
when MISC is corrupt a new one was generated and written to that file in /data.

the problem:
the service which is responsible to write to /data was started too early and so was never able to write the MAC into /data (as that was simply not accessible at service starting time).
Android itself had implemented some time back a function to handle corrupt/empty MAC addresses - it seems. thats why you always see a new random MAC on every boot.

the solution:
will come in the next build(s) for 16.0, 17.1., 18.1 and eOS pie (R will include that fix already)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MAC randomization

thanks for you answer.

I have attached some screenshots from my G4 and my OP7Pro to show the difference in the settings options (relevant items marked yellow).

So, if it is possible, it would be nice to get the missing Privacy option in Network Settings.

Thanks in advance and
    best regards
    w.m.

1. our wifi driver does not support the "new" mac randomization method by Android - that's why you do not see the Privacy menu in the WiFi setting (we cannot do anything about that)
    2. yes the wifi mac (and likely bluetooth mac) changes on every boot nevertheless

background:
    we had issues in the past where the mac cant be read from the MISC partition and so we added a service to fix that - if that' happens.
    when it could be read from the MISC partition it was simply written as it is to a file in /data.

the problem:
    the service which is responsible to write to /data was started too early and so was never able to write the MAC into /data (as that was simply not accessible at service starting time).
    Android itself had implemented some time back a function to handle corrupt/empty MAC addresses - it seems. thats why you always see a new random MAC on every boot.

the solution:
    will come in the next build(s) for 16.0, 17.1., 18.1 and eOS pie (R will include that fix already)

cheers,
    katheryn
    The main prob here is your device gets (too) hot. This activates the thermal engine throttling to cool down the cpu and that means lagging.

There are high chances you have a device affected by the ilapo. Check the first 3 digits of your serial (usually on a sticker behind the battery) if it's lower then 603 you might need to find a new phone soon.
    Good news, thank you very much.
    lineageos-18-1-green-background.jpg

Code:
    /*
    * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
    * Same statement for XDA.
    */

About LineageOS:
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

**** These builds are for both: official unlocked and UsU'd devices ****

Requirements
    • Your device need to be unlocked either officially (h815 international or h811) or by UsU
    • Your bootloader stack should be on MM 20p (20x for H811) or higher! (see FAQ #8 for how to upgrade your bootloader stack witbout lgup).
      .... and for your convenience I have alternatively created TWRP flashable files for that !!!! (click)
    • in particular that means this thread is for:
      F500 (UsU'd), H810 (UsU'd), H811, H812 (UsU'd), H815 (official unlocked or UsU'd), H819 (UsU'd), LS991 (UsU'd), US991 (UsU'd), VS986 (UsU'd)
    • Latest SHRP build: click
      or latest TWRP - PREVIEW build: click
    • Do a full Nandroid backup before doing anything else!

Installation

1. This single very first step is for UsU'd devices only:
      If you have ever flashed the UsU baseband package: Clean flash the modem partition from your backup in TWRP.
      If you do not know if you ever flashed it simply flash your modem partition again and you can be sure. This can't do any harm.
      If you have no backup: TWRP flashable MM modems (N might not work)
    2. Full clean install as described here (FAQ "#2") is highly recommended. DO NOT REPORT ISSUES when you have skipped that step!
    3. Flash this ROM
    4. Optional (f-droid is already included): Flash GApps (11.0 - ARM64) if you like to use google apps
    5. Optional (if you want root): Flash Magisk
    6. Boot (will take a bit on first boot!!! but no longer then a few minutes)
    7. Enjoy

Features
    • Pure LineageOS ROM experience
    • F-Droid included (Open Source alternative to Google Play)
    • Like with all my builds: OTA support included

Known issues:

Keep in mind that this is brand new stuff so it may (still) contain unknown issues! So back up regularly and frequently!
    1. Check the current issues at the github tracker (feel free to help, provide logs etc!)
    2. If you find a bug not listed, follow the instructions here and provide me with the logs: FAQ #1

Download

Get your builds from my leech server:
    https://leech.binbash.rocks:8008/lineage/18.1

Note:
    1. Builds are updated as soon as possible. There is no build cycle. I build when I build (usually when a new security patch has been released at least).
    2. Information pertaining to your device is displayed accordingly.

Changelogs
    • see commits at github or ideally you join my matrix or telegram groups (see topic "Support")

Credits
    • LineageOS
    • aoleary (for the whole a11 bringup!)
    • DevUt (for nothing)
    • and more..

Sources

Support
    MAC randomization

thanks for you answer.

Thanks in advance and
    best regards
    w.m.

background:

the problem:

the solution:
    So I did install it on my LG G4 H815 (officially unlocked) and well....I mean thanks for trying @steadfasterX and I mean it, but its definitely not stable.

So first, how I installed it
    (before that I had LineageOS16 (maybe also from xda, dont remember) and TWRP from the official website but with an older version of TWRP because I was too lazy to update at every release) :

a) Installed latest Twrp preview "twrp-3.5.2_9-PREVIEW-275_g4.img"
    b) Installed bootloader "h815_20p_bootloader_20p_modem_TWRP-flashable.zip"
    c) Did Full Clean: WIPE -> Advanced -> select: System + Cache and then WIPE -> "FORMAT data", then reboot directly into recovery which is twrp
    d) Well nobody said something about lineageos-image (lineage-18.1-20220523-UNOFFICIAL-h815) being on a sd card, so first my lineageos-image was of course gone after "format data", but I got it onto my internal storage from my computer (usb) while being in twrp and then installed it

So now to the problems:

1) The first boot was actually very fast, but in the first menu, the start menu...later on...there was the setting for mobile connection. I tried to turn it on and then my screen froze like for 10-15 seconds. After the 10-15 seconds I could finally continue. Seems very buggy to me. Tried the switch again and it froze again for some seconds.
    2) So after I got done with the start menu, I go into settings and see that 8,7gb are already used....is that normal or too much? There are no photos or videos on it. Just Twrp and Lineageos 18, without magisk or google crap.
    3) In privacy settings, then "trust", I found SELinux to be deactivated and I can't turn it on? Without SELinux my phone is not very secure, right? So why is it deactivated?
    4) Then in the settings of the caller-app (calls -> additional settings) everything ("caller id" and "call waiting") is greyed out and can't be selected. After 15-20 seconds of waiting a notification/loading box appears in the middle with "call setting" written in it and below in that box "reading settings". After additional 20-30 seconds the box disappears with all menu points ("caller id" and "call waiting") still being greyed out and not selectable. Long-story-short: It does not work.
    5) In the caller-app settings for the voicemail (settings -> voicemail -> notification) directly under the phone icon is something written in russian....like what the hell?
    6) In the same settings as in number 5 I also can't switch the "show notifications" thing or "default" to "silent", or change the "pop on screen" thing. Seems like this all also doesn't work.
    7) In the battery settings there was written, that my 70% battery at 01:47 am is only gonna last to 04:15 am, so only 2 hours and 28 minutes for 70% battery?....so yeah something strange here too.
    8) When I had something like 30-45% of battery-life (I don't remember exactly), I wanted to test the camera (video). I started the video and after some seconds I pushed the stop button and suddenly my phone restarts, not turns off completely, but restarts and with then having only 4% of battery-life left....like seconds after being at 30-45%. What the hell? And why restart and not complete shutdown?
    After that I immediately plugged in my charging cable and tried it again. No restarting this time. So seems like a battery problem and less like a camera or camera-app problem. But I'm not the expert here. Whatever it was, it is a complete **** show.
    9) Whats with the pin/password for the sim card coming late like 20-30 seconds after the normal phone pin/password? Why not immediately after the normal pin. Because I'm like already deep into settings or something and suddenly after 20-30 seconds the sim-card-pin/password question pops up. That seems very buggy to me.
    10) This not being directly a real big problem, but when I try to turn the phone off, there is an emergency box in the end menu....can I somehow disable this box, so I don't accidentally call the emergency number?

thanks in advance

Re2: i assume you speak about RAM not storage ? If so you've yo know that free RAM is useless. That's why Linux (and so android) is caching as much as possible in RAM for speeding up things.
    Re3: you can't toggle selinux on / off there. Selinux is very deep inside the system and is nothing which goes easy when porting a ROM. That's why you usually get a new ROM port without selinux first until all is working.
    Re 7+8: sounds like your battery might be older then 2 years and might need s replacement.
    Not sure if that fixes all of your issues but would be a first try.
    Re 9: well you've the choice: no mobile service or accept the delay on reboot. We tried everything in pie and also here and found no real fix for cell service which does bot come up. The workaround is that i wrote a watchdog which monitors the ril process and fixes it when needed. That's a delay you see and can't be avoided if you want cell service.

Re all the rest well no idea all of these need log log log log (see FAQ) and time investigating these.

Especially the SELinux point is important to me.
    Or more precisely: My understanding is that SELinux plays a big role in the security of my phone and without it it's basically junk if considered for use with private information on it.
    So a more detailed answer regarding the SELinux point would be appreciated. Why is it deactivated if it is important for the security of the phone?

thanks in advance

I would never use a phone without fully working selinux but this takes a lot of time implementing it (correctly). Selinux is one barrier in the chain of protecting your phone. It can prevent access on a deeper level then file or app permissions can do and so can prevent zero day attacks and exploits.

The q is how high is the risk? That depends on your personal behavior. Do you install any app you find? Do you open any link or attachment of your mails? If you think before acting then a disabled selinux is .. not ideal but one can live with it. Not me but im paranoid and live for security but for others that might be different.

As mentioned above I provide builds without selinux first anyways until all known issues are fixed. Then selinux policies needs to be written , tested and implemented. If I'll find the time soon is very unlikely. If you want having it use an older LOS version like 16 which fully supports it.
    MAC randomization

thanks for you answer.

Thanks in advance and
    best regards
    w.m.
    latest build has auto rotate and 4G signal icon fixed. it seems it was a h815 (official unlocked) issue only so there is no other release then for that one