[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][13][EAS][OTA][SM-T820][SM-T825][2023-11-16] LineageOS 20.0 for Galaxy Tab S3

Search This thread

gates2

Jun 25, 2008
@ home :D
Hi,

maybe someone of you can suggest me a solution. It doesn't matter if LineageOS 19.1 or 20 - I have the problem that the sound cannot be set as loud as in the stock ROM. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix the error?
I use normal headphones which are connected by cable.

hamletiano01

Apr 29, 2015
Hi,

maybe someone of you can suggest me a solution. It doesn't matter if LineageOS 19.1 or 20 - I have the problem that the sound cannot be set as loud as in the stock ROM. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix the error?
If I'm not mistaken @Awesometic is working on that as it also affects the mic not working on videocalls. Let's have faith and patience on his investigations, hopefully...

gregchak

Nov 22, 2012
I have the 2023-01-02 version installed. Do I need to do a clean install to update to the latest 2023-02-13 version or can I simply flash the updated ROM?

yanmirc

Oct 4, 2015
Anyone managed to make streaming services in HD, like netflix, work? I've tried some modules with magisk but it either won't work at all (15001 error - even though it passes the safetynet test) or it won't allow HD content as it's stuck with LV3 widevine.

Last edited:
@Manlycookiebear probably no one will give you a guarentee.
What I found helping me in the past was:
1) backup in TWRP boot+system and data one after another (to reduce failure possibilities) onto SD as mobile storage.
2a) flash new ROM dirty and reboot. if it starts: be happy.

2b if that doesn't work restore system backup and test if it boots:
(Although I did that already without restoring system first and that worked afterwards as well.)
if it does: wipe system and flash new ROM, Gapps and Magisk

2c in case 2b didn't work or it doesn't start afterwards: do a full wipe INCLUDING "FORMAT DATA"
flash ROM
reboot to system after wiping caches.
ROM starts? setup a bit without connecting to wifi/mobile and reboot to TWRP
flash Gapps and Magisk and reboot to system.
If it starts, reboot to TWRP and restore DATA.
If it starts (mostly does for me) all is back.
This will imho not work (even if, I wouldn't recommend it) when switching Android versions (12 -> 13).

Sometimes Data restoration doesn't work and you have to set it up all freshly.

When you didn't do a fully clean (incl Format Data) installation it's imo not worth reporting bugs or anything else.

Reactions: Manlycookiebear

pacopoor

Jun 19, 2009
Code:
/*
* Your warranty will be VOID after installing a custom ROM.
* Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
* and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device,
* I will laugh at you.
*/

# LineageOS

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

# What's working
  • WIP: Almost all look working fine as much as my LineageOS 19.1 does except the lists below
# What's not working
  • LTE (SM-T825)
  • USB OTG
  • SELinux permissive
  • Data encryption (FBE, FDE)
  • Please see the "Known issues" part of this post

# Downloads

## LineageOS 20.0

## Google Apps
  • NikGapps
  • The other Gapps will work too, but I only confirmed that NikGapps working

## TWRP Recovery

# How to install
  • To fix the boot-loop problem, we need to install the previous custom ROM at least once.
  1. Unlock the bootloader.
  2. Download TWRP and flash the recovery image via Odin.
  3. Download any Android 11/12 based custom ROM, such as LineageOS 19.1 for Galaxy Tab S3.
  4. Download LineageOS 20.0 for Galaxy Tab S3.
    • Be aware of the board name.
  5. Download GAPPS for Android 13 and the others you want to flash.
  6. Enter TWRP recovery.
    • The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
  7. Format the whole system, data, cache partitions using the format menu.
    • You will type `yes` to do that.
  8. Install Android 11/12 based custom ROM, such as LineageOS 19.1.
  9. Boot once, and if the initial setup screen appears then reboot and enter the TWRP again.
  10. Erase the partitions using the advanced wipe option.
    • It'd be the system, data, caches, and internal storage.
  11. Flash the images, including LineageOS 20.
    • If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
  12. Reboot the system.
  13. Done.

# Known issues
  • Camera somewhat buggy
    • On webcam chat apps, there is a vertical green bar and the color is not properly displayed.
  • Audio bugs
    • No sound for the microphone and speaker in voice calls, such as the regular phone call or voice chat with a meeting app.
  • Boot-loop after formatting data partition in TWRP
    • For an unknown reason, we can't use it after formatting partitions using the format menu in our TWRP. Please refer to the installation instruction.
  • Thank all of you for the feedback

# Sources

# Telegram Groups
  • If you are interested in developing this potential machine, please tell me through PM then I will send you the invitation link.
  • If you need a general discussion channel for this potential machine or want to share the news of its Android projects from anyone to everyone, you can join our discussion group chat.

# Buy me a coffee

# Credits / Special thanks to
  • Android Open Source Project
  • LineageOS Team
  • LOS17.1) @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
  • LOS18.1) @supermike86 and @samsuffit for testing LineageOS 18.1 for T820, which is I don't have one
  • LOS18.1) @bmwdroid and @cherepanov for confirming the LTE works
  • LOS18.1) @sebmue for letting me know that the useful information for palm rejection, and @ghostwheel for sharing its working source codes on Android 9
  • General) @switchgott for helping me in the development discussion and creating Telegram groups
  • General) All from our Telegram discussion channel, @EonOfBlack , Sands, David Becker, ...
  • LOS18.1) @LuK1337 for giving me a hint to fix the quad-speakers
  • LOS19.1) @followmsi , @html6405 , @ThE_MarD for giving me a hint to bring up Android 12
  • LOS19.1) @masdaster for the fix of MDFPP Keystore on our device
hi. My tablet is freezing and I cannot do anything when it start, after 2 days with changing official rom I can access tablet for 4 mins only. I activate developer option and click usb debbuging but I couldnt find oem lock option to deactive. I cannot install any unofficial rom. I just access download mode. but when i try to install twpr it says only only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed. is there any one that can help?

hi. My tablet is freezing and I cannot do anything when it start, after 2 days with changing official rom I can access tablet for 4 mins only. I activate developer option and click usb debbuging but I couldnt find oem lock option to deactive. I cannot install any unofficial rom. I just access download mode. but when i try to install twpr it says only only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed. is there any one that can help?
As long as you couldn't activate OEM unlock option you will afaik not be able to flash anything other than stock ROM.
If it was mine I would:
1 access download mode,
2 flash latest stock via Odin >3.12 on a Windows PC,
3 set it up just a bit WITHOUT ANY CONNECTION to wifi or mobile (btw which one do you have).
4 Set manually time/date to somewhere last year (if it isn't)
5 reboot,
6 let it connect to the world to get exact time/date,
7 look in activated dev option if OEM unlock option appears.
8 If not, wait seven or more days and check again.

Robalo

Mar 21, 2010
Hello everyone, I've read this whole topic. So in summary, in addition to the things mentioned in the first post, Netflix in HD is also not working within newest build?
What about Wi-Fi stability? Unfortunately, several people have complained about it, which effectively discouraged me from installing 19.1, is it any better in this version?
also is this one working with Samsung Keyboard Cover?

And a general question, is work on this ROM still in progress? I would be happy to support the developer. I just need working LTE, stable Wi-Fi and mic/audio working in conference apps.

Personally, I don't think anyone would need a newer version of Android for this tablet, so it would be beautiful if support ended with a possibly stable version of Android 13 (or even 12L, to be honest).
I appreciate the developer for his contribution so far.

Last edited:

MachineMasher

Sep 8, 2021
What about Wi-Fi stability? Unfortunately, several people have complained about it, which effectively discouraged me from installing 19.1, is it any better in this version?
I think we established that, as long as you don't use the S-Pen, wifi is very stable in this ROM.

If you use the S-Pen, the next time the screen turns off (eg. device left idle), the device will reboot and wifi will stop working until you do a manual reboot, at which point it will recover.

I used the ROM for months and never once had a problem with Wifi because I never use the S-Pen. Then, @kotoy1982 suggested that this always happened after use of the S-Pen. So I tried using the S-Pen and, lo and behold, I experienced the problem for the first time ever.

Because I virtually never use the S-Pen, this pretty much a non-issue for me. So...I don't think the question should be whether the wifi is stable - the question is whether you use the S-Pen very much and are OK with having to reboot after you use it (if you ever use it).

also is this one working with Samsung Keyboard Cover?
I don't use the Samsung Keyboard Cover, but I do use a third party cover that was built specifically for the Galaxy Tab S-3, and it works just fine including automatically shutting off when the cover is closed. I have also tried using the third party bluetooth keyboard that came with the cover and it worked, but haven't used it extensively.

The biggest issue for me with this ROM is the lack of sound in Zoom and other calling applications. If that one could get fixed, the ROM would pretty much meet all my needs.

EDIT: Added the comment about lack of sound in Zoom.

Last edited:

ringo982

Jun 5, 2023
@Awesometic Hi man! There is a way to bypass the MAC address problem? I have two galaxy tab s3 with LineageOS 20 but the have the same MAC Address (ending with ....eb:5c:d8), and this is a mess for my LAN network. How can i solve the problem? It seems that LineageOS 17 doesn't have the problem, but since LineageOS 18 the problem appear and the MAC address is everytime the same.

Please help!!

Reactions: Tomcar

lameware

Jun 5, 2023
Somebody please point me an app or a setting wich can disable hardware keys while drawing on screen. Lineage is the best with battery, but it's really hard to hold hand high while trying not to touch the back button. Stock android handles this okm but line age doesn't disbale keys.

eried1

May 27, 2016
Stockholm
Hi,

Interesting. This seems to be a general issue for Samsung devices on LOS19.1 and later.

NXA888

Dec 19, 2014
Hi I've done a clean install and flashed Nikgapps, everything besides bluetooth seems to work.
When I activate bluetooth it goes connecting... connected... disconnected... and this pattern repeats without beeing able to connect over bluetooth.
Any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty will be VOID after installing a custom ROM.
    * Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
    * and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device,
    * I will laugh at you.
    */

# LineageOS

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

# What's working
    • Display/Touchscreen
      • LiveDisplay
    • Audio playback
      • Dolby Atmos
      • Headphone/Headset
      • Quad speakers
    • Video playback
      • HDR
    • Camera
    • Microphone
    • Sensors
    • Fingerprint sensor
    • GPS
    • Hotspot
    • WiFi
    • WiFi display
    • Bluetooth
    • DRM
      • Widevine L1
    • USB ADB/MTP
    • Samsung Doze
    • S-Pen
      • Palm rejection
    • SD Card
    • Power-off mode charging
    # What's not working
    • LTE (SM-T825)
    • USB OTG
    • SELinux permissive
    • Data encryption
      • FDE deprecated since Android 13
      • FBE unsupported
    • Please see the "Known issues" part of this post

# Downloads

## LineageOS 20.0

## Google Apps
    • NikGapps
    • The other Gapps will work too, but I only confirmed that NikGapps working

## TWRP Recovery

# How to install
    1. Unlock the bootloader.
    2. Download TWRP 3.7.0 with no encryption and flash the recovery image via Odin.
    3. Download LineageOS 20.0 for Galaxy Tab S3.
      • Be aware of the board name.
    4. Download GAPPS for Android 13 and the others you want to flash.
    5. Enter TWRP recovery.
      • The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
    6. Format the whole system, data, cache partitions using the format menu.
      • You will type `yes` to do that.
    7. Flash the images.
      • If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
    8. Reboot the system.
    9. Done.

# Known issues
    • Camera somewhat buggy
      • The built-in camera application (Camera2) is not working well. You can use another camera application like OpenCamera
      • Sometimes the camera doesn't work after booting. You can fix that back by just rebooting
      • On webcam chat apps, there is a vertical green bar and the color is not properly displayed
    • Audio bugs
      • No sound for the microphone and speaker in voice calls, such as the regular phone call or voice chat with a meeting app
    • OTG drives may show nothing even if it mounted
    • The side button on S-Pen is working but you must use the proper application that can handle the button event
    • Fast charging works (15W) but currently the kernel reports the wrong charging voltage and current
    • Thank all of you for the feedback

# Sources

# Telegram Groups
    • If you are interested in developing this potential machine, please tell me through PM then I will send you the invitation link.
    • If you need a general discussion channel for this potential machine or want to share the news of its Android projects from anyone to everyone, you can join our discussion group chat.

# Buy me a coffee

# Credits / Special thanks to
    • Android Open Source Project
    • LineageOS Team
    • LOS17.1) @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
    • LOS18.1) @supermike86 and @samsuffit for testing LineageOS 18.1 for T820, which is I don't have one
    • LOS18.1) @bmwdroid and @cherepanov for confirming the LTE works
    • LOS18.1) @sebmue for letting me know that the useful information for palm rejection, and @ghostwheel for sharing its working source codes on Android 9
    • General) @switchgott for helping me in the development discussion and creating Telegram groups
    • General) All from our Telegram discussion channel, @EonOfBlack , Sands, David Becker, ...
    • LOS18.1) @LuK1337 for giving me a hint to fix the quad-speakers
    • LOS19.1) @followmsi , @html6405 , @ThE_MarD for giving me a hint to bring up Android 12
    • LOS19.1) @masdaster for the fix of MDFPP Keystore on our device
    • LOS20.0) LineageOS-UL
    Finally I got a new one. Will upload the new version soon.
    Thank you all for supporting me! :)
    Currently this is my plan for our tablet.

1. MAC address randomization
    2. Android 14, which may be LineageOS 21 (-UL)
    - Some notes on LOS 21, I could build without error but it doesn't boot at all, even the system is not initialized. This was about 1 or 2 months ago, so I think it is worth to try it again soon.

And I hope we can use kernel 4.4 on our device. But I can't promise it :)

By the way, recently I have tested a few things on my WSL, which is running on Windows so I could migrate my AOSP development environment from Linux to Windows, even with my EXT4 formatted SSD data storage. That is so cool since I wanted to use some apps during development that are only on Windows or macOS.
    I hope I can do everything related to AOSP development in the WSL environment.

Happy New Year!
    Hello all, it's been a long time.

Last few months, I tried to fix the boot-loop problem first but I couldn't succeed. 😓
    So for now I give up to fix that, and I will look into fixing the existing problems first such as the audio one.
    I uploaded the new LineageOS 20 ROMs, which are synced with the latest LineageOS source codes.

Please see the new instructions too for clean installation.

Code:
    # How to install

To fix the boot-loop problem, we need to install the previous custom ROM at least once.

Unlock the bootloader.
        Download TWRP and flash the recovery image via Odin.
        Download any Android 11/12 based custom ROM, such as LineageOS 19.1 for Galaxy Tab S3.
        Download LineageOS 20.0 for Galaxy Tab S3.
            Be aware of the board name.
        Download GAPPS for Android 13 and the others you want to flash.
        Enter TWRP recovery.
            The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
        Format the whole system, data, cache partitions using the format menu.
            You will type `yes` to do that.
        Install Android 11/12 based custom ROM, such as LineageOS 19.1.
        Boot once, and if the initial setup screen appears then reboot and enter the TWRP again.
        Erase the partitions using the advanced wipe option.
            It'd be the system, data, caches, and internal storage.
        Flash the images, including LineageOS 20.
            If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
        Reboot the system.
        Done.

The point is, if you have installed my Android 11 or 12 based custom ROMs at least once and haven't formatted the partitions using TWRP's format menu, you can install the Android 13 base custom ROMs only with wiping system, data, caches, and internal storage partitions using advanced wipe menu in TWRP.

And, I will upload CrDroid 9 soon.

PS. Keep in mind that you should make a backup of the current system/data partitions before updating. It's on the ALPHA stage yet.
    Watching this thread with interest! Funny that my S3 has a later version than my s6 now!
    Yes, funny that a single hobbyist working during spare time can do updates faster than big corporations. Nicely done, @Awesometic!