• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][Android 11]LineageOS 18.1 for Moto E5 Play (James)

Search This thread

musical_chairs

Mar 6, 2012
Many thanks, I will update the manifest, use your method and report back.
Also, I noticed that @whodat711 used msm8937 kernel while you are using msm8953? I am guessing it is because 17.1 vs 18.1
Yes, I switched to msm8953 kernel because JarlPenguin is actively developing it for 18.1. The msm8937 kernel would need some significant work to get it building on 18.1.

m3dteam

Apr 22, 2011
good news, after a lot of compiling, now the build is successful:
1626202012799.png

now comes the hard part, I need to do the build for Moto E5 Nora (my device). I got a couple of questions:
1- for the vendor tree, I could use the one from 17.1 for 18.1 build, right? I am guessing it should just work since the binaries are coming from the vendor from Android 8 (32bits)

2- for the kernel, I should use msm8953 but, since no one is working on it for nora, I just need to copy nora_defconfig from msm8937 and that should do it, right? If I make a boot.img with this hybrid kernel can I test it with the stock rom to see if it works (instead of having to build the whole rom)?

musical_chairs

Mar 6, 2012
good news, after a lot of compiling, now the build is successful:
View attachment 5361283

now comes the hard part, I need to do the build for Moto E5 Nora (my device). I got a couple of questions:
1- for the vendor tree, I could use the one from 17.1 for 18.1 build, right? I am guessing it should just work since the binaries are coming from the vendor from Android 8 (32bits)

2- for the kernel, I should use msm8953 but, since no one is working on it for nora, I just need to copy nora_defconfig from msm8937 and that should do it, right? If I make a boot.img with this hybrid kernel can I test it with the stock rom to see if it works (instead of having to build the whole rom)?
Start with figuring out what whodat used to build his nora ROM, especially for the vendor tree. Use my james-specific updates as a reference. For the kernel, yes, you should be able to copy nora_defconfig from the kernel source linked in whodat's nora ROM post and go from there. Good luck!

Reactions: m3dteam

musical_chairs

Mar 6, 2012
New build up. August security patch included. I also removed a bunch of unneeded camera libs. I have not found any functional changes from the previous build.

Link is in the OP.

Last edited:

sugarbrie

Oct 18, 2018
I have the Comcast E5 Play. I have had past success with Sony and Samsung devices permanently loading TWRP with a PC. Can someone post or link to other "dummies" instructions of how to get the device setup to the point to use fast boot to "boot only to TWRP" in the first set of instructions here. THANKS !! I am sure other amateur users would like to know as well.

musical_chairs

Mar 6, 2012
I have the Comcast E5 Play. I have had past success with Sony and Samsung devices permanently loading TWRP with a PC. Can someone post or link to other "dummies" instructions of how to get the device setup to the point to use fast boot to "boot only to TWRP" in the first set of instructions here. THANKS !! I am sure other amateur users would like to know as well.
Basically, you just need to unlock your bootloader using Motorola's website: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a
The instructions there are pretty good, so I won't attempt to rewrite them. Please read them carefully.

In the process of unlocking your bootloader, you will set up adb and fastboot on your computer and enable developer settings and adb on your phone. Once the bootloader is unlocked, reboot to bootloader again (you'll learn how to do that during the unlocking process) and proceed with the instructions in the OP.

Reactions: GOOGLE_USER

sugarbrie

Oct 18, 2018
Basically, you just need to unlock your bootloader using Motorola's website: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a
The instructions there are pretty good, so I won't attempt to rewrite them. Please read them carefully.

In the process of unlocking your bootloader, you will set up adb and fastboot on your computer and enable developer settings and adb on your phone. Once the bootloader is unlocked, reboot to bootloader again (you'll learn how to do that during the unlocking process) and proceed with the instructions in the OP.
Thanks so much.!! So pretty much the same as I have done before on other brands. Other than Sony which is kind of tricky.

musical_chairs

Mar 6, 2012
Android 12 build coming soon?:sneaky:
by the way this Rom is great I don't know why it's not Official on LineageOS website well apart from front Flash it doesn't work but everything is perfect
Thanks! I guess I've been too lazy to do the work of pursuing official builds. For a while the vendor tree was a royal mess, there's no way any maintainer in their right mind would have merged it.

The front flash works in Open Camera, though not with the Lineage camera app - I haven't yet figured out how to enable it there.

Reactions: GOOGLE_USER

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks! There's a new build up. There aren't any major changes, it's just the updated security patches. The link is in the OP. Enjoy!
    Android 12 build coming soon?:sneaky:
    by the way this Rom is great I don't know why it's not Official on LineageOS website well apart from front Flash it doesn't work but everything is perfect
    Thanks! I guess I've been too lazy to do the work of pursuing official builds. For a while the vendor tree was a royal mess, there's no way any maintainer in their right mind would have merged it.

The front flash works in Open Camera, though not with the Lineage camera app - I haven't yet figured out how to enable it there.
    2okPze5.png

Please read this entire post before attempting to install!!

This ROM is built for and tested on a moto e5 play "james" XT1921-1 (Comcast). I think it will work on the other "james" variants. If you're asking about hannah or pettyl or another e5 variant...don't. I build for my own phone, because I feel like it.

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you get upset at me for messing up your device, I will feel bad and go away.
    */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restores the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Instructions:
    Follow Instructions Carefully - installation will fail otherwise :

• WARNING: There doesn't seem to be a way to back up and restore using the 64 bit TWRP (probably due to forced encryption). Your data is toast if you install this, and toast again if you mess up a later installation. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
    • Download TWRP for james from whodat711's Lineage 17.1 thread, linked below.
    • fastboot boot twrp-james-bootonly.img (ONLY BOOT IT!! TOO BIG TO FLASH!)
    • -- then --
    • Wipe -> ADVANCED -- select system + vendor -> SWIPE TO WIPE
    • reboot bootloader
    • fastboot boot recovery again
    • -- then --
    • Format data, Wipe cache & dalvik-cache
    • Flash ROM, Gapps 11 arm64 together (Download Gapps from downloads section)
    • Done-Reboot Now
    • Wait...and wait... the first boot takes 8 minutes (with gapps).

What's working:
    • WiFi
    • Camera and Camcorder
    • Bluetooth
    • Fingerprint
    • GPS
    • Sensors
    • Video Playback
    • Audio
    • RIL (Calls, sms/mms, VoLTE)
    • SELinux: Enforcing

Known issues:
    • Trust complains about the build being signed with a public key. This is an unofficial build, so it is slightly less secure. The warning can be turned off in settings.
    Downloads:

Reporting Bugs
    • I guess just post them to this thread. I probably can't help, but maybe somebody else can.

Thanks to:
    @whodat711 for bringing Lineage 17.1 to james.
    @JarlPenguin for maintaining the kernel, vendor, and common-device trees.
    (Note: If either of you want to build 18.1 for james, I will gladly run your builds and stop posting my own.)
    The LineageOS team

Changelogs:

Code:
    2021-06-13:
    Initial 18.1 release.

2021-07-14:
    Video recording sync issue is fixed.
    Fix some SELinux denials.
    July security patch.

2021-08-08:
    August security patch.
    Remove unneeded camera libs.

2021-10-10:
    October security patch.

Source code:
    just flashed it now , everything going fine, not a bug seen
    Great! Thanks for the feedback.
    Ok, so I can just do the following:
    Code:
    repo init -u https://github.com/LineageOS/android.git -b lineage-18.1
    repo sync
    croot
    lunch james-userdebug
    make bacon
    And that should be enough to build the rom, right?
    Something like that. I do
    Code:
    source build/envsetup.sh
    instead of croot, but maybe my way is outdated.

Also, how did you make the vendor tree (in case if I have a different device )? did you just copy everything from /vendor/ & /system/ from your stock phone?
    I fork other people's vendor trees and use them as a base. For james, I used https://github.com/moto-msm8937/proprietary_vendor_motorola and https://github.com/HyperTeam/proprietary_vendor_motorola. I've never tried to start from scratch on a new device. I'm not quite on that level.

oh, also, this the mainfist you used, right?
    Code:
    <manifest>
      <project path="device/motorola/james" remote="github" name="musical-chairs/android_device_motorola_james" />
      <project path="device/motorola/msm8937-common" remote="github" name="musical-chairs/android_device_motorola_msm8937-common" />
      <project path="kernel/motorola/msm8953" remote="github" name="musical-chairs/android_kernel_motorola_msm8953" />
      <project path="vendor/motorola" remote="github" name="musical-chairs/proprietary_vendor_motorola" revision="lineage-18.1-james2"/>
    </manifest>

Many thanks for your help, this is my first build.
    Yup, that's what I'm working with. I believe I had to add
    Code:
      <!--Dependencies-->
      <project path="external/bson" name="LineageOS/android_external_bson" />
      <project path="system/qcom" name="LineageOS/android_system_qcom" />
    to get it to build successfully.

You're welcome! Hopefully it is a pleasant learning experience for you!
    The issue is that whenever I run james/extract-files.sh I am getting:
    Code:
    $DEVICE must be set before including this script!
    It's probably happening because I haven't given extract-files.sh any attention; I'm not used to working that way - I just build from the vendor tree. So something is probably messed up there. I just lunch and make bacon.

You'll want to switch the vendor tree to the lineage-18.1-james2 branch as I did my best to unify my vendor tree to JarlPenguin's, to keep it in sync with his device tree. I don't think the build will boot without doing that.

I have some updates to push as soon as I get a chance. I fixed the error I posted earlier, also fixed some camera-related SELinux denials. Unfortunately, video record sync is still borked. Once I get a few minutes to clean everything up, I'll push my latest changes to github and then try to get a new build up.
    i love you man