[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][crDroidAndroid-12.1][v8.10][dragon] -> 2022-10-20

Search This thread

followmsi

Oct 10, 2013
crDroid 12.0 - Early builds

Let's start with a first crDroid 12 build before Christmas ..

Actually the "fancy" crDroid bootanmiation makes strange issues on 12 .. at least on some devces. For this build we use default "Android" bootanimation.
Not "fancy" but quick and stable.

androidfilehost.com seems to have problems too .. some of my uploads just "disappeared" over the last days.
For this reason the build is located on gdrive ..

crDroidAndroid-12.0-20211223-dragon-v8.0.zip

Known issues:
- Camera is not working yet
- Various customizations / settings / bugfixes are still missing !
- SELinux is permissive
- Chrome browser still starts slowly and does not play certain videos.
- Maybe more issues ..

Tested with opengapps test packages and Magisk 23.0.

Thanks to @ipdev for the opengapps test packages !

Enjoy Android 12 (y)

Last edited:

jolinnard

Sep 3, 2009
Hi followmsi it's great to see that you still has this device. I'm only using to play a few games (Clash Royale, etc). It's worth to go to 12? Thanks!!

followmsi

Oct 10, 2013
crDroid v8.3

The crDroid team has merged the 12L code changes as well ..

crDroidAndroid-12.1-20220326-dragon-v8.3.zip

Changes:
- Google security updates -> March 2022 -> Android 12L
- Latest crDroid & LineageOS changes

As SDK level increased to version 32 you have to use new gapps for Android 12L.
Pls check latest opengapps builds here ..
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O-I01LDvno57ztnxIW_bSnVWEk8-6Ics
Pls use pico or nano versions only .. stock package may not work correctly.

Enjoy Android 12L (y)

bc Yume

Jul 20, 2017
OnePlus 6
Google Pixel 3
After following all steps (wiped data and system in TWRP as well), I was asked to enter a password to unlock the device even though I haven't ever done the setup yet. But when I typed anything into it, I got "The password you entered is correct, but unfortunately your data is corrupted" and it said I can only do a factory reset.

The factory reset lasted pretty much forever so I had to flash back to stock 8.1 but same thing happened again.

Is there something I'm missing? I was flashing the latest March 26 build.

Edit: Nvm fixed by not using fastboot erase userdata and waiting very patiently.

Last edited:

thorepck

Aug 29, 2016
Mobile
First, kudos to @followmsi for all your work. Was really looking forward to checking out 12L, but I cannot get past the security setup, being given three options, all of which are combinations including facial lock - which is kinda hard when the camera is non-functioning xD. I have tried a complete format, OpenGapps Pico and MindTheGapps - any suggestions appreciated (and yes, not installing Gapps is working, but not a solution 🙃)

Update: NikGapps-core-arm64-12.1-20220418 to the rescue :D

Last edited:
Reactions: followmsi

LaurenceGough

Aug 12, 2013
The biggest downside is losing L1 Widevine which I had before on the stock ROM. :(
Good news is it's much faster now and gives this lovely tablet hardware a new life.
I used mindthegapps GAPPS package for Android 12.

Edit:

Adding a new users causes the tablet to go crazy. Screen turns off and locks every 5 seconds regardless. Can never setup the 2nd user it just crashes and freezes up all the time. Restarting doesn't help.

For the 3 hours or so I used the tablet with one user it worked fine...

I tried deleting the user and adding it again same problem. Stuck overheating the CPU for 20 minutes not doing anything. Tablet completly frozen and not responding to anything. Same issue again. Now the main user account also cannot be used.

Last edited:

followmsi

Oct 10, 2013
crDroid v8.5

The latest crDroid changes and May security updates ..

crDroidAndroid-12.1-20220525-dragon-v8.5.zip

Changes:
- Google security updates -> May 2022

Thanks to @ipdev for the opengapps packages !

Enjoy Android 12L (y)

LaurenceGough

Aug 12, 2013
crDroid v8.5

The latest crDroid changes and May security updates ..

crDroidAndroid-12.1-20220525-dragon-v8.5.zip

Changes:
- Google security updates -> May 2022

Enjoy Android 12L (y)
Does it work with two users please? Thanks

Just got a "new" Pixel C a few days ago, and I've been messing around with the different roms available for it now. I'm currently trying crDroid 8.5 and it shares the same issues as the others for me.

Issues:
1. Slow and sluggish. The UI is frequently stuttering and lagging, and while I don't expect lightning fast performance from a device this old, it's definitely not buttery smooth like others on here are saying. I've cleared cache and Dalvik many times but it doesnt do anything to help with this issue.
2. WiFi issues. My home network is detected even with the default Europe country code, but even after changing it to the US country code in settings, it's still abysmal. No 5GHz support, only 2.4GHz on WiFi 4, and my network works with up to WiFi 6 on 2.4 and 5ghz.

If anyone could give me some tips on what I can try to fix these, please let me know, thanks!
Aside from that, these roms are amazing and it's great to see some efforts to keep this device alive! Great work! :)

LaurenceGough

Aug 12, 2013
Make sure to select skip at the first step after it asks you to setup face unlock during the setup process. It says it requires a face unlock to be setup along with other method, of course the camera doesn't work. There is no way past it if you don't hit skip, you'll need to factory reset again if not.

Ahh, it's impossible to ever fully setup this ROM, it'll just keep reminding you and you can never finish it, also adding another user causes it to completely crash and lockup again, needing a factory reset. Also the default keyboard doesn't let you switch to letters and numbers without having to force close it every time...

No luck with this latest version of this ROM :(.

Last edited:
Reactions: mebalzer

mebalzer

May 22, 2013
Make sure to select skip at the first step after it asks you to setup face unlock during the setup process. It says it requires a face unlock to be setup along with other method, of course the camera doesn't work. There is no way past it if you don't hit skip, you'll need to factory reset again if not.

Ahh, it's impossible to ever fully setup this ROM, it'll just keep reminding you and you can never finish it, also adding another user causes it to completely crash and lockup again, needing a factory reset. Also the default keyboard doesn't let you switch to letters and numbers without having to force close it every time...

No luck with this latest version of this ROM :(.
Similar issues. However, my version does not show "skip" but "Cancel." I also added the nikGAPPs suggested in another post with no luck, and don't know if they would play a part in setting up a new user.

LaurenceGough

Aug 12, 2013
Similar issues. However, my version does not show "skip" but "Cancel." I also added the nikGAPPs suggested in another post with no luck, and don't know if they would play a part in setting up a new user.
I'm sorry to say and I mean no disrespect to this ROM creator but again I couldn't add another user with this ROM even after all the full resetting and trying the latest ROM edition out. I flashed the Android 12 Pixel Experience ROM and the latest universal kernel found here:

Multi user is now working and it's the fastest I've seen the tablet run for a while, still, almost every app redraws when accessing them, even simple apps like gmail, youtube music still gets killed in the background... It needs a lighter weight OS it seems, I am not sure if Android 12 is a good idea or if Android 11 would be better for this tablet. Still early yet so hopefully it'll optimise a little.

I feel bad as I paid so much for this tablet when it was new, Google abandoned it so fast it put me off Google devices ever since, it was the same with the Pixel phones I purchased.

It's the RAM that's the issue I suspect.

mebalzer

May 22, 2013
I'm sorry to say and I mean no disrespect to this ROM creator but again I couldn't add another user with this ROM even after all the full resetting and trying the latest ROM edition out. I flashed the Android 12 Pixel Experience ROM and the latest universal kernel found here:

Multi user is now working and it's the fastest I've seen the tablet run for a while, still, almost every app redraws when accessing them, even simple apps like gmail, youtube music still gets killed in the background... It needs a lighter weight OS it seems, I am not sure if Android 12 is a good idea or if Android 11 would be better for this tablet. Still early yet so hopefully it'll optimise a little.

I feel bad as I paid so much for this tablet when it was new, Google abandoned it so fast it put me off Google devices ever since, it was the same with the Pixel phones I purchased.

It's the RAM that's the issue I suspect.
Actually I can shed some light on this. Due to it being a chip from NVIDIA, Google never licensed the actual NVIDIA drivers which was even a problem in the stock builds. I know this because we were using it as a test platform for a VR HMD based on the TX1. Later we moved to the NVIDIA Shield (TV) and ran into problems there, since it would have also required a separate (paid) license to modify the driver to run at a framerate/resolution conducive to display panels at that time even though its foundation was based on a stock Google kernel instead of Google TV. But yes, RAM was also a limiting factor, which I think is only 3GB. Most recent phones have 4GB, but then again my little Atom based Windows tablet that started with 7 and is now 10 still runs great with only 2GB and is a year older (2014).

Oh well, I have moved on working with better Android, iOS and even a Surface Go 2 (W11) tablets so if it weren't for the nostalgia and playing with Ubuntu Touch (on the Nexus 6P) I probably would have let it continue to collect dust. It's just sad that my original NVIDIA Shield (2015) using a slightly faster TX1, & 3GBs is running Android 11 now and still beats the pants off every other streaming device I have.

Reactions: ReVaNzz

followmsi

Oct 10, 2013
crDroid v8.9

Time for a new build ..
The latest crDroid changes and September security updates.

crDroidAndroid-12.1-20220929-dragon-v8.9.zip

Changes:
- Google security updates -> September 2022
- Various device, kernel and vendor changes -> Big thanks to @michie !
- Patched system/netd to bring back Network traffic monitoring on older kernels.

Enjoy Android 12L (y)

Last edited:

Sparkingdog

Apr 8, 2021
Google Nexus 10
LG V20
crDroid v8.9

Time for a new build ..

Due to androidfilehost.com upload problems it's on gdrive ..

Changes:
- Patched system/netd to bring back Network traffic monitoring on older kernels.

Enjoy Android 12L (y)
Hope one day the camera will work on A12

BlackPatrick

Apr 29, 2016
Google Nexus 4
Google Pixel C
crDroid v8.9

Time for a new build ..

Changes:

Enjoy Android 12L (y)
Thanks @followmsi for the new build, I've been looking forward to it,
but there seems to be a major issue with the GPU rendering, specifically 60 fps content.

There is some major stuttering (even in the UI regularly) and according to YouTube stats for nerds it's dropping almost 50% of all frames.
Didn't have an issue like that before, now only regular 24/30 fps stuff is watchable, even in 1440p (with NewPipe).
Something weird that I've noticed is as long as I keep the volume panel overlay visible it plays smoothly. Then it disappears and it stutters horribly.

I haven't seen anyone on LineageOS complain, so it might be crDroid specific.
Anything I can do to help troubleshoot the issue? I have MatLog Libre and Kernel Adiutor installed.
Also I reverted animation scale in developer options back to 1.0x, as it defaults to 0.5x for some reason.

Thanks for any help

Edit: It seems like anything that's allowed to play on its own mostly stuttering, but if I interact it's fine, like if I hold a YouTube video or Twitch stream (I use Xtra by crackededed because regular Twitch runs the tablet hot) and start swiping it down it plays fine. If I let go it's back to stuttering

Last edited:

BlackPatrick

Apr 29, 2016
Google Nexus 4
Google Pixel C
but there seems to be a major issue with the GPU rendering, specifically 60 fps content.

There is some major stuttering (even in the UI regularly) and according to YouTube stats for nerds it's dropping almost 50% of all frames.
Didn't have an issue like that before, now only regular 24/30 fps stuff is watchable, even in 1440p (with NewPipe).
Something weird that I've noticed is as long as I keep the volume panel overlay visible it plays smoothly. Then it disappears and it stutters horribly.

Anything I can do to help troubleshoot the issue? I have MatLog Libre and Kernel Adiutor installed.
Also I reverted animation scale in developer options back to 1.0x, as it defaults to 0.5x for some reason.

Thanks for any help

Edit: It seems like anything that's allowed to play on its own mostly stuttering, but if I interact it's fine, like if I hold a YouTube video or Twitch stream (I use Xtra by crackededed because regular Twitch runs the tablet hot) and start swiping it down it plays fine. If I let go it's back to stuttering

I've successfully dirty downgraded now to 8.5 from 8.9, as the graphical issues are too plentiful, can't recommend using it right now. To be honest, I haven't tried a clean flash of 8.9. I doubt it would fix the issue like the plain downgrade already did.

Beyond the 60fps stuttering and frame-drops, night light doesn't work anymore. MatLog throws a bunch of errors.
When bringing up a popup menu, often the rest of the app goes completely black in the background.
When bringing up recents it stutters horribly sometimes and takes like two seconds to finish, maybe because it shows the wallpaper now.
Sometimes the whole UI freezes up completely and a forced reboot is necessary.

By the way, I had to delete locksettings.db in TWRP after the downgrade as the lockscreen would glitch out.

I would use LineageOS to stay up to date but every time I try it I really miss all the awesome crDroid customizations, so I'm gonna stay on this.
I hope this is fixable. Couldn't even tell when the issues were introduced as we just jumped ahead 4 versions
I also saw crDroid 9 based on Android 13 is already working, maybe we'll have to wait for that

followmsi

Oct 10, 2013

Thanks for any help

Thanks for reporting.

The "60fps" problems happens on lineage 19.1 too .. Need to check for the root cause.

animation scale has been changed with purpose - to improve UI - it's a change from michie,

followmsi

Oct 10, 2013
crDroid v8.10

The latest crDroid changes and October security updates ..

crDroidAndroid-12.1-20221020-dragon-v8.10.zip

Changes:
- Google security updates -> October 2022

Enjoy Android 12L (y)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BE3pE0l.png

Code:
    *** Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for any damage you made to your device
    You have been warned

crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today

crDroidAndroid-12.1-20221020-dragon-v8.10.zip

Features:
    https://github.com/crdroidandroid/crdroid_features/blob/12.1/README.mkdn

Flashing Instructions:

Pre-installation:

First time installation:
    • 1. Boot into TWRP
      2. Wipe SYSTEM and DATA partitions ! (If you are encrypted, pls format DATA partition !)
      3. Install ROM.zip
      4. install gapps (arm64)
      5. install Magisk.zip (20.x+)
      6. Wipe CACHE and DAVLIK
      7. Reboot into system

Update installation:
    • 1. Boot into TWRP
      2. Install ROM.zip
      3. Wipe CACHE and DAVLIK
      4. Reboot into system

Sources:
    ROM: https://github.com/crdroidandroid
    Kernel: kernel url
    Manifest: manifest url

Download:
    https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=289293
    https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...oaU1iazg?resourcekey=0-4krcBcSF3tnMFvgcP4kMvw

Known issues:
    - Camera is not working yet.
    - Network traffic monitoring is broken due to old kernel version.
    - Encryption has not been tested .. pls do not encrypt your data partition now.
    - SELinux - we are still permissive !
    - Our "old" Nivida codecs do have problems playing videos in Chrome browser.
    - As it looks like Widevine L1 has been revoked by end of August 2020.

- The ROM does contain it's own vendor.img ! (If you go back to Oreo, pls reinstall stock vendor.img)

There will be no regular updates .. just some builds from time to time !

Visit official website @ crDroid.net
    crDroid <device> Telegram
    crDroid Community Telegram
    Donate to help our team pay server costs

Enjoy :p
    It's time for a new build ..

crDroidAndroid-11.0-20210810-dragon-v7.9.zip

Changes:
    - Google Security updates -> August 2021
    - Latest device and kernel changes for dragon
    - Backport of Wifi-Display (Miracast) for Android 11
    - Latest crDroid changes for Android 11

One more build ..

crDroidAndroid-10.0-20200424-dragon-v6.5.zip

Changes:
    - Google security updates -> April 2020 (android-10.0.0_r33)
    - Turned off SoftAP MAC randomization
    - Reverted Kernel MAC address hack -> to prevent boot problems.
    - Changed kernel config for USB tethering
    - Kernel: Added "fix cpu frequency limitation"
    - Latest crDroid changes for Android 10

crDroid 12.0 - Early builds

Let's start with a first crDroid 12 build before Christmas ..

Actually the "fancy" crDroid bootanmiation makes strange issues on 12 .. at least on some devces. For this build we use default "Android" bootanimation.
    Not "fancy" but quick and stable.

androidfilehost.com seems to have problems too .. some of my uploads just "disappeared" over the last days.
    For this reason the build is located on gdrive ..

crDroidAndroid-12.0-20211223-dragon-v8.0.zip

Known issues:
    - Camera is not working yet
    - Various customizations / settings / bugfixes are still missing !
    - SELinux is permissive
    - Chrome browser still starts slowly and does not play certain videos.
    - Maybe more issues ..

Tested with opengapps test packages and Magisk 23.0.

Enjoy Android 12 (y)
    crDroid v8.3

The crDroid team has merged the 12L code changes as well ..

crDroidAndroid-12.1-20220326-dragon-v8.3.zip

Changes:
    - Google security updates -> March 2022 -> Android 12L

Enjoy Android 12L (y)