[DISCONTINUED][UNOFFICIAL|CUSTOM|LOCKEDBL][Q/A10][hotdog] /e/ OS for OnePlus 7T Pro - BYE Google, HELLO privacy and security (LOCK your BOOTLOADER)!

Search This thread

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro

! DISCONTINUED !

There are several reasons for this but the most disappointing one is that /e/ stops development and most important: security patching for older Android versions way too quick (for me).

I've integrated the security patches manually (provided by great LOS devs) for some time now but that's not the way I wanted to go when I started with /e/. My hope with /e/ was that they(!) will do that as a minimum which turns out that I was wrong.

Besides this it does not fit my needs anymore as my main focus is privacy and security.
There is so much more to do when it comes to this!
For this reason I don't use and maintain this /e/ build anymore.

If you want to see what fits my needs check out AXP.OS for the 7T pro.

! DISCONTINUED !

e-color.png

brought to you by the
eFoundation-1-400x61.png

Code:
/*
* I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
* Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
* Same statement for XDA.
*/

About /e/

/e/ is not just another ROM - it is a mobile ecosystem (ROM + online services) that:
  • is open source
  • is pro-privacy
  • is compatible with most existing Android applications
  • cares about usability
  • is as far as possible freed from shackles by Google and OEMs
  • already exists!
It’s the alternative to the Apple/Google duopoly on the smartphone.

... so again and just to be clear: /e/ is not just a ROM, it is more a complete privacy ecosystem and consists of:
  • an installable mobile operating system for smartphones, which is forked from Android and strongly “ungoogled”
  • a set of sorted and improved default open source applications
  • various online services that are linked to the mobile operating system, such as: a meta search engine for the web, drive (with synchronization), mail, calendar, notes, tasks.

Features
  • Based on the stable Lineage OS
  • microG fully pre-installed with Signature Spoofing in restricted mode!
  • All features described on the /e/ page: What is e
  • All features and fixes of LineageOS
  • My builds are all signed with a custom private key for best trust. This also means you have to factory reset when coming from another ROM!
  • My builds come with full OTA update support :)
    ... you know that thing which informs you that a new update is there and where you just click to download + install ;)
  • You can LOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER - if you like

Build variants (UNOFFICIAL, CUSTOM)
  • UNOFFICIAL builds:
    • full OTA support
    • no other differences to pure /e/. It is just an unofficial build (if you want to have it official test my builds and report also SUCCESS! this ROM is currently awaiting to get approved by /e/ for official builds)
  • CUSTOM builds:
    • 2 variants: rooted (magisk) or unrooted
    • removed: the app "Apps" (see FAQ why)
    • added: F-Droid, F-Droid priv ext, F-Droid additional repos (disabled by default), AuroraStore, Lawnchair-latest (taken from their TG group), PhoneSky (google play store - patched for microG), Magisk app when choosen the rooted variant
    • patched with this safetynet patch (this will not bypass safetynet though)
    • fully patched for AVB / dm-verity support - means you can lock your bootloader! (all builds since 3rd of Sep 2021) - yes even the rooted variant can run on locked bootloader!
    • SHRP included (accepted by a locked bootloader) - means when you want to use a different recovery you have to flash / re-flash it after flashing / upgrading the ROM. Including this is needed to not brick devices running on locked bootloader.
    • .. read all the details about locking your bootloader in this post

Known issues:

Keep in mind that this is brand new stuff so it may (still) contain unknown issues!
So back up regularly and frequently!

• none known (yet)
  • If you find a bug not listed let me know and SHARE LOGS! -> READ FAQ#1 for how to provide proper logs.

Requirements
  • Latest TWRP or SHRP build (while I am testing with SHRP only)
  • Do a full (i.e. not just TWRP/SHRP - as those do not backup your internal storage) backup before doing anything!
  • Planning to lock your bootloader? Read this first

Installation

Planning to lock your bootloader?

Detailed guide:
  • follow MSe1969's guide here

Quick guide (assuming you have TWRP/SHRP already):
  1. Full clean install as described here (FAQ #2). DO NOT REPORT ISSUES when you have skipped that step!
  2. Flash /e/
  3. Optional (if you want root): Flash Magisk
  4. Flashing OpenGapps ????? NO No no! you don't want that on a google-free phone! /e/ contains everything you need to live without Google! So flashing OpenGapps on /e/ is like using a bit more secure LOS but that's not the point of /e/. Either try without or go with LOS (imho).
  5. Boot it (will take a bit on first boot!!! be patient!)
  6. Enjoy the most easy way to have a privacy focused and google-free phone!

Download

Get your builds from my leech server (new installs or re-installs)

https://leech.binbash.rocks:8008/e-os/a10/hotdog/ (planning to lock your bootloader? Read this first)

If you have a previous version of my(!) /e/ Q installed already and just want to update to a newer release:
Android settings -> Updater (yes my builds have built-in OTA support!)

Note:
  1. Builds are updated as soon as possible. There is no build cycle.
  2. Information pertaining to your device is displayed accordingly.
  3. The current build is the latest for your device.

Changelogs
  • Join my Telegram groups (see "Support" topic)

Support

Of course in this thread but also by Telegram. I have created a generic group for all stuff around Android : here
and another one if you want to keep up2date whenever I build something (TWRP, SHRP, LOS, /e/, ...): here

Credits
  • MSe1969, wth.. you did an AWESOME job (y)
  • LineageOS (the base of /e/)
  • The /e/ foundation and all related devs making this experience possible!
  • and all I forgot (let me know if that's the case ofc) ..
Sources

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q #0: For CUSTOM builds only: Why is the /e/ App store not included??? It is GREAT!
Mainly due to security and privacy concerns. Wth? I thought /e/ is secure and privacy focused? Yes it is but.. read on:

First of all the App store itself has no security or privacy issues. It is opensource and I see no issues with the app itself!
... the most important point for a smartphone is the availability of apps. I mean having a secure device which respects your privacy is great but it will have no chance to win when you cannot get easily apps on it.
... and the most dangerous part for a smartphone is installing apps because here is where Malware can easily step in! So whatever you do never install APK files from a website directly unless you can be 100% safe it is trustworthy.

It is all about trust again and when you look in the sources of the /e/ Apps store you find it connects to: cleanapk.org.
/e/ makes that not a secret though as you can read here.
So who is behind that cleanapk.org? Why is /e/ trusting them? While reading through the /e/ forums I found that this page hosts (as far as we know) apps mirrored from apkpure + fdroid.
.. and it's completely unclear who hosts that site and where is behind it. On the other site /e/ (Gael, the founder as well) states clearly they are not in any relation to that site. "They just using their api".

here some facts:

• you cannot get the owner by a whois request
  • They have a info page here which just roughly describes where the apps are coming from and how
  • There is no detailed privacy statement or even an info if they keep your data GDPR compliant or not
  • No way for devs to get their apps removed or updated

The /e/ foundation clearly states they have no relationship to that repository of apps but some things are interesting aren't they:

During that mentioned discussion and after pointing Gael to that - the welcome message suddenly changed to what it is today..
The full topic where even Gael is talking (not that friendly) is: here

TL;DR:
/e/ is providing apps (the most used way to get infected by malware) by an API which is at least questionable.
I do not say /e/ is doing questionable things and as said before the /e/ ROM is 100% trustworthy (otherwise I would not do any builds for it) but that cleanapk.org site is truly another story.
An interesting quote of Gael can make one read between the lines (I marked the interesting ones bold and cursive):
Some users have reported that they are using Aurora, [...] (context: we will never integrate this) because it’s infriging the play store terms of services.
For this, we have to use indirect mechanisms, that don’t infrige the play store TOS, and therefore, we are using a service that is not officially part of the /e/ project, and which is called cleanapk.org
On the long run, we other plans with partners, to offer something more transparent, but it’s too soon to talk about this.
Of course /e/ needs to ensure that what they are doing is 100% legal and offering an app repository like cleanapk.org is not.
My personal assumption is that /e/ is offering that repo - indirectly so not officially by the e.foundation itself.
A relation between is for sure nothing they want to have public as this would cause legal questions.

So the last question is:
Q: Why do I consider AuroraStore "better" then using cleanapk.org and so removed the /e/ apps store and adding AuroraStore instead?
A: Because I definitively know where the apps are coming from when using Aurora instead of /e/. Not just the app itself is OSS (like the /e/ one) the apps are coming directly from the play store instead of an unknown source.

Q #01: I want to report an issue. What is the proper way to do so?
I'm glad that you are asking: before doing so check the KNOWN ISSUES topic in the OP and ofc the other FAQ's listed here!
if you have an audio issue follow FAQ #6 instead.

Often selinux can cause issues so try that at very first:
Code:
if you have magisk installed:
adb shell
su
setenforce permissive

When " usb debugging root" is enabled in developer settings:
adb root
adb shell
setenforce permissive
Try again and if the issue is gone when in permissive mode: provide me a logcat as described here -> on step 3 I need the SELINUX log (option D)

If your issue is not solved with selinux permissive click here to proceed:

If your issue is not listed there follow the directions here briefly and I may can fix it:

logcat GUIDE

Ensure you have done a full CLEAN install before doing so (refer to FAQ #2 for what that means).

Warning: NO SUPPORT when:
- magisk is installed (known to cause issues sometimes - regardless of the ROM or version)
- Xposed is installed (known to cause issues sometimes - regardless of the ROM or version)
If you have installed any of these UNINSTALL or better do a FULL CLEAN install (see FAQ #2) before doing anything else. Often enough these above causes several issues like battery draining, problems on booting and much more. Even when they may work properly you should re-produce your issue without them first and follow the above to grab the log.

Magisk is a great piece of software and besides that it is Open Source which SuperSu never was.
I just saying I do not "support" issues when you have Magisk installed. Why? It is (like Xposed) extendable with modules (made by whoever) and those can cause billions of issues.
Other then that magisk was sometimes the reason for battery drain etc. Magisk modifies the boot "process" and sits very deep in the system (which is needed to make it work ofc) but that has the potential to make a system/ROM unstable or result in strange behaviors.

so in order to support a specific issue I have to be sure the ROM is in a "clean" state, no magisk, no xposed.
Pro-Tip: a very first test is to set magisk on core functions only to see if an extension causes your issue or not.

Q #02: I want to install clean, how? What is a clean install? What is the recommended way to flash a new ROM version?
A clean install ensures that there are no leftovers from any previous install. One can say that there are 2 phases of a clean flash:
1) regular
2) full - when you (still) encounter issues

Usually the regular one is fully ok when flashing a new ROM version but if you encounter strange issues nobody else is reporting or if a release post is recommending it you should do a full clean install instead.

A regular clean install can be done like this:
  • WIPE -> Advanced -> select: System + Cache
  • Flash the ROM
  • reflash root addon/magisk if you want root

A full clean install needs 2 steps more then the regular:
  • follow the steps for regular clean
  • go back in WIPE -> touch the "FORMAT data" button and type "yes" to format the internal storage (you will LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA - obviously)
  • REBOOT -> Recovery
  • Flash the ROM
It is absolutely recommended to create a backup before and COPYING IT to your PC(!) before doing the above.

Q #03: Are there any plans or a chance of official /e/ builds?
Yes. With your help! What you can do? Test and report EVEN SUCCESS in this thread.

Q #4: Is there a FAQ specific for /e/?
Sure:

• FAQ: click
  • Forum: click
  • HOWTOs: click (a great resource for all your first questions)
  • App alternatives (to replace google variants): click

Q #5: issues with audio (e.g. echo's, silence on one or the other site, ..)? Read here how to provide a specific log for that:
Do the following steps:

• 1) Ensure you have adb set up on your PC, and have adb debugging and adb root enabled in developer options on your phone
  • 2) Then perform the following (all one command)

On Linux:
    adb root ; adb shell "stop audioserver; logcat -c -b all; start audioserver" && sleep 10 && adb logcat -b all |egrep -vi "(dialer|telecom|ril|gsm|touch|brightn|dct|QC-time-services|SST|sensors|AlarmMan|Lights|perfp)"
    On windows:
    adb root ; adb shell "stop audioserver; logcat -c -b all; start audioserver && sleep 10 && logcat -b all |egrep -vi '(dialer|telecom|ril|gsm|touch|brightn|dct|QC-time-services|SST|sensors|AlarmMan|Lights|perfp)' "
  • 3) Then re-produce your audio issue and cancel the logcat from step 2 before hanging up!

• 4) Share the logcat output from the console screen using paste.omnirom.org

Q #6: I'm scared about that microG , I don't want to expose my phone so is this /e/ version a security risk?
First of all you need a lot of trust installing ANY custom ROM. A developer can do nasty things right? Besides that yes microG allowing to let apps act like as they are another app, also known as signature spoofing. This CAN be a good and a bad thing. Read on why my builds are different:

In general the microG patch is an all or nothing. A ROM which supports microG (i.e. signature spoofing) have that feature enabled, always.
The difference in my /e/ builds is that I am using the "restricted" option of signature spoofing so as long as you trust me you are as safe as without microG.

Q #7: What is the difference between CUSTOM and UNOFFICIAL builds?
See OP

Q #8: Will my banking app (or other root detecting app) work with this ROM?
The answer is .. well .. simple. it depends.
First of all the following technique works regardless of what ROM you are using or what device. It worked with my LG G4, OnePlus 6T and now OP7tpro so its a generic "maybe-solution"
Read on here:

I am using a german banking app which works even when root gets detected. It will prompt and say thats bad but I am still able to use it. The same was the case for the TAN generator app of the same bank but it fully stopped working one day after a (forced) app upgrade.
So I started to play around and found a solution which works for me since several years but there is no guarantee it will work for you or for how long it will work. The process and steps must be followed briefly and nothing more, nothing less must be done.
The following references a banking app but it applies to any app which rejects starting when root or a custom ROM has been detected:

1. you need root, i.e. Magisk. This ROM has a custom build which includes Magisk already.
  2. uninstall the currently not working banking app(s)
  3. install & setup a work-profile manager like Insular, Shelter, (if you do not care about google trackers: Island), or [fill-in-another] ,.....
  4. configure Magisk that it hides itself (i.e. re-package Magisk with a random name) & reboot just to be sure. and yes that works on signed and locked ROMs, too ;)
  5. newer Magisk versions will clone themself into the island profile during the repackage process so open island then switch to the island tab and remove the magisk app there (so not from the "mainland"!)
  6. install the banking app(s) - BUT DO NOT start it!
  7. clone that app into your work-profile (i.e. open Insular/Shelter/Island/.. find the app, clone it there), repeat that step for any app needed
  8. configure Magisk hide for this app(s) and ensure you select all options (some apps can be expanded in magisk hide, select all options then)
  9. remove any icons of your app(s) from your launcher but DO NOT UNINSTALL them!! (never)
  10. in your work-profile manager (Insular/Shelter/Island/...) find your app and create a quick start launcher (repeat that for any app needed)
  11. now start your banking app quick link (again it HAS to be the one created by your work-profile manager). usually you can identify that you are using the right one bc it has a mini icon of your work-profile manager on top of the regular app icon
  12. enjoy. if it does still detect root or a custom ROM you either have not followed the above steps briefly or you are out of luck.

Background:
You cannot uninstall the app(s) from android (ever) because otherwise Magisk hide will not work. so you always need to keep that app(s) but never starting it.
It can make sense to try another work-profile manager if the above way fails for you as the app devs using different techniques

Q #9: Will DRM protected content work? | Will this ROM satisfy Safetynet?
Likely not. Yes this ROM is signed, selinux is enforcing and you can lock your bootloader but these days this is not enough anymore. While there are some workarounds available these might stop at any time. So do not expect that this will work or work for a long time.

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro

LOCK your bootloader​

Yes you read correctly: you can lock your bootloader again! Why is that so amazing? The most important thing: security. When your bootloader is locked no one can install or modify without you notice it. Let's say you loose your phone and your bootloader is unlocked. The person can boot into fastboot and flash a custom recovery of his choice and have full access to your data (if not having a pin set) but also can tamper e.g. your system partitions like installing malware. Yea for that the attacker needs physical access to your phone but there is malware around and this is REAL which uses bugs to install themselves even on your system partition. For this the attacker does NOT need physical access to your phone.
On a locked bootloader the device won't boot anymore as a modification like that will be detected.

Anyways.. yea one can say both attack variants are not THAT critical or affecting you as you are paying attention on what you do but .. there is a always a risk of undetectable malware like the good old drive-by downloads etc. so .. its all up to you if you want to have that extra barrier or not..

But before we begin
a HUUUUGE thanks to @WhitbyGreg !!!
All this here would not be possible without his great guide here ! Ofc I need to adapt it and integrate all this within my automation process but it would have been a LOT harder without his thread(s).
So if you love it having a locked bootloader now - give HIM some thanks clicks, donations, hugs.. as well ;)

Checklist: is locking the bootloader something for me?​

If you answer anyone - even just 1 - of the following with YES - then KEEP AWAY FROM LOCKING your bootloader!
  • I want to remove (not just disable) system apps (often called bloatware)
  • I want to add / convert apps into system apps (e.g. Titanium Backup offers such an option)
  • For rooted variant: I want to update Magisk to the latest version
  • For rooted variant: I want to change init scripts, XMLs or anything else within system/, product/ etc partitions
  • For rooted variant: I want to use an ad-blocker which modifies the "hosts" file (system partition)
  • I want to install another recovery then the one coming with the ROM (SHRP)
  • I want to flash GApps (LOL! this is /e/ !! even on unlocked bootloader this won't work!)
  • I want to flash anything else in recovery which modifies: boot, recovery, system or any other partition then userdata
Do you have answered at least 1 of the above with YES ? Then do NOT lock your bootloader. It WILL brick your device if you try.
if you can live with the above - GO GO GO :)

Lock your bootloader - process​

Downloads

1. backup all your data. I am serious EVERYTHING. we need to FORMAT the userdata partition during the lock process and there is no way around. so use TB or Swiftbackup, Migrate or any other. Always a good idea to also having a TWRP/SHRP backup just for the case..
  2. boot your current recovery
  3. flash the ROM of your choice (with or without root)
  4. reboot to the bootloader / fastboot
  5. if you flashed the ROM with root: fastboot flash avb_custom_key hotdog_eos-q_custom-rooted_pkmd.bin
  6. if you flashed the ROM without root: fastboot flash avb_custom_key hotdog_eos-q_custom_pkmd.bin
  7. type: fastboot oem lock
  8. approve locking the bootloader on the phone's screen
  9. < take a deeeeeeep breath >
  10. recovery (SHRP) will load automatically
  11. choose wipe -> format(!) data (there is no way around)
  12. boot android -> you will notice a new bootloader message warning you that you have a custom ROM installed - but it will load
  13. congrats! you now running on a locked bootloader + /e/ OS!
  14. for the rooted variant: start the Magisk app (requires internet), accept the install request and open the magisk app afterwards and let it reboot when asked
  15. enjoooooy :)

Locked - now what?​

OEM unlock option
The above does not mention one additional step: disabling OEM unlock in developer options. For a reason. I mean you CAN uncheck that option now that all is running fine but you don't get any more security tbh.
The reason is if you keep it checked an attacker is able to unlock your device but it WILL format the encryption keys when done. that means no way to access your data anyways. If you want to avoid even that then feel free to uncheck OEM unlock in developer settings as well but then a brick will require low level recovery tools to bring your device back to life.

Magisk (rooted variant)
I recommend to disable automatic update checking within magisk settings - remember: when flashing a newer version of magisk it WILL brick your device. you have to wait for me updating it within the ROM.
Anything you do within Magisk can EASILY BRICK your device, installing a magisk module which tampers your system partition: BRICK. So really really check if a module touches anything mentioned in the above checklist topic. Using the magisk variant has HIGH potential of bricking your device.
You can use all standard root functions, magisk hide and even re-pack the magisk app though.

Bricked
Always keep an eye on the above "Checklist" topic! If you change/do something mentioned there you will brick your device with a snap of a finger.

Android does not boot anymore because you flashed a newer version of Magisk or changed something within the protected partitions:
  1. boot recovery (power off, press power on and vol down the same time and keep it pressed until you see the shrp logo)
  2. flash the current ROM version or a later release and reboot
recovery does not load bc you flashed another recovery:
  • wait for the next OTA and it get fixed automatically
  • or unlock the bootloader again (this will need to FORMAT the userdata partition)

Last edited:

L4WL13T

Dec 13, 2013
Cambridge
Sounds like a cool ROM, however I'm curious, what issues might I run into having no Google services? Are most apps going to work ok?

ap81z

Jun 15, 2021
Hi! Why is there no gesture based navigation??? I'd love to see it!!!
at first glance the system is very surprising, like the very idea of a system without GAPPS. Looking forward to the development)

Reactions: steadfasterX

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
at first glance the system is very surprising, like the very idea of a system without GAPPS. Looking forward to the development)
Yea they removed it bc their launcher does not support it yet. There is an open issue on their bug tracker. I don't know when they will fix it tbh but i need it so bad that i found a way to include it. It's a kind of dirty hack but ... it works and will find its way in my next CUSTOM build.. :)

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
forgot to mention it here (another reason why users should join my automation channel):
Gestures are supported since the latest version.

breaking news:

I was working on using this device as my DD again but I have very strict requirements:
  • /e/ OS must work (reason: privacy focus, google-free) [ DONE ]
  • encryption must work (reason: security, e.g. loosing or selling the phone) [ DONE ]
  • selinux must run in enforcing [ DONE ]
  • /e/ OS must be signed with own private key (reason: allowing secure OTA and local/recovery upgrades) [ DONE ]
  • SHRP must work (reason: a password on startup can be set - allowing to have rich recovery feature set but secured - when the bootloader is locked!) [ DONE ]

and here the fun began:
  • /e/ OS must run on locked bootloader [ DONE ]
  • SHRP must run on locked bootloader [ DONE ]
  • OTA must work on locked bootloader [ WIP ]

so overall I am pretty much where I want to be and can provide a privacy focused, secure, google-free and locked bootloader experience soon...

stay tuned ;)

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro

Ever wanted to lock your bootloader - not on STOCK but on a custom ROM?​

Most ppl don't know (or don't care) that almost all Oneplus devices offer such an option - if the ROM dev is willing to take the journey implementing it.

This is now possible when running my /e/ OS CUSTOM builds (read more in the OP about the diff between CUSTOM and UNOFFICIAL) and not just that my new CUSTOM builds coming either pre-rooted or not - whatever you wish more.

I have to say that this was something on my to-do list since I bought this device more then 1 year ago. After a lot of work in the past months I am finally where I am and can use it as my DD again. Something which makes me reeeeeeally happy lol :)
Dunno but maybe someone enjoys having a locked bootloader like I do ;)

Read all the details and how it works: here

Thetimelost

Apr 3, 2017
OnePlus 7T Pro
Hey just for info, I'v tried without relocking bootloader, to install aa auto as I do on lineage, and it give me the same result as locked bootloader, a black screen, I know that it's not your job to debug aaauto since it's a de-google rom. But the rom is unusable in my case, another question, why Play Store is installed by default ?

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Hey just for info, I'v tried without relocking bootloader, to install aa auto as I do on lineage, and it give me the same result as locked bootloader, a black screen, I know that it's not your job to debug aaauto since it's a de-google rom. But the rom is unusable in my case, another question, why Play Store is installed by default ?

The CUSTOM builds containing the play store as i need it for some apps which do their license check over it. You csn simply deactivate it or use the UNOFFICIAL build instead (which do not allow locking the BL though).

Also I doesn't find any option to change 60hz/90hz ?
Hmm good q. Is there an option for that in LOS? Maybe that's a limitation by /e/ but dunno tbh

Thetimelost

Apr 3, 2017
OnePlus 7T Pro
The CUSTOM builds containing the play store as i need it for some apps which do their license check over it. You csn simply deactivate it or use the UNOFFICIAL build instead (which do not allow locking the BL though).

Hmm good q. Is there an option for that in LOS? Maybe that's a limitation by /e/ but dunno tbh
Thanks for the answer ! Yes on LOS there is an option for it, and after use my op7t pro for 2 year with 90hz I directly spot the difference. ^^

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
I mean, I really like what you have done with your current build, and would love to see that applied to the new Android 11 version as-well.
Well first of all I thought no one uses my ROM anyways so there was no need for me upgrading to a11. This ROM is rock stable and does what i need as a daily driver and gets monthly security patches. Many ppl just want to have a newer android version just bc there is one and not bc for a specific reason. That's why I'm asking.

I personaly prefer a good working ROM over having always the newest android version just because there is one ;)

Other then that i may upgrade to a11 but not anytime soon. Main reason is that I am using this as my daily driver so it would be hard alsi dev on it..

Reactions: Thetimelost

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

! DISCONTINUED !

There are several reasons for this but the most disappointing one is that /e/ stops development and most important: security patching for older Android versions way too quick (for me).

I've integrated the security patches manually (provided by great LOS devs) for some time now but that's not the way I wanted to go when I started with /e/. My hope with /e/ was that they(!) will do that as a minimum which turns out that I was wrong.

Besides this it does not fit my needs anymore as my main focus is privacy and security.
    There is so much more to do when it comes to this!
    For this reason I don't use and maintain this /e/ build anymore.

If you want to see what fits my needs check out AXP.OS for the 7T pro.

! DISCONTINUED !

e-color.png

brought to you by the
    eFoundation-1-400x61.png

Code:
    /*
    * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
    * Same statement for XDA.
    */

About /e/

/e/ is not just another ROM - it is a mobile ecosystem (ROM + online services) that:
    • is open source
    • is pro-privacy
    • is compatible with most existing Android applications
    • cares about usability
    • is as far as possible freed from shackles by Google and OEMs
    • already exists!
    It’s the alternative to the Apple/Google duopoly on the smartphone.

... so again and just to be clear: /e/ is not just a ROM, it is more a complete privacy ecosystem and consists of:
    • an installable mobile operating system for smartphones, which is forked from Android and strongly “ungoogled”
    • a set of sorted and improved default open source applications
    • various online services that are linked to the mobile operating system, such as: a meta search engine for the web, drive (with synchronization), mail, calendar, notes, tasks.

Features
    • Based on the stable Lineage OS
    • microG fully pre-installed with Signature Spoofing in restricted mode!
    • All features described on the /e/ page: What is e
    • All features and fixes of LineageOS
    • My builds are all signed with a custom private key for best trust. This also means you have to factory reset when coming from another ROM!
    • My builds come with full OTA update support :)
      ... you know that thing which informs you that a new update is there and where you just click to download + install ;)
    • You can LOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER - if you like

Build variants (UNOFFICIAL, CUSTOM)
    • UNOFFICIAL builds:
      • full OTA support
      • no other differences to pure /e/. It is just an unofficial build (if you want to have it official test my builds and report also SUCCESS! this ROM is currently awaiting to get approved by /e/ for official builds)
    • CUSTOM builds:
      • 2 variants: rooted (magisk) or unrooted
      • removed: the app "Apps" (see FAQ why)
      • added: F-Droid, F-Droid priv ext, F-Droid additional repos (disabled by default), AuroraStore, Lawnchair-latest (taken from their TG group), PhoneSky (google play store - patched for microG), Magisk app when choosen the rooted variant
      • patched with this safetynet patch (this will not bypass safetynet though)
      • fully patched for AVB / dm-verity support - means you can lock your bootloader! (all builds since 3rd of Sep 2021) - yes even the rooted variant can run on locked bootloader!
      • SHRP included (accepted by a locked bootloader) - means when you want to use a different recovery you have to flash / re-flash it after flashing / upgrading the ROM. Including this is needed to not brick devices running on locked bootloader.
      • .. read all the details about locking your bootloader in this post

Known issues:

Keep in mind that this is brand new stuff so it may (still) contain unknown issues!
    So back up regularly and frequently!

• none known (yet)
    • If you find a bug not listed let me know and SHARE LOGS! -> READ FAQ#1 for how to provide proper logs.

Requirements
    • Latest TWRP or SHRP build (while I am testing with SHRP only)
    • Do a full (i.e. not just TWRP/SHRP - as those do not backup your internal storage) backup before doing anything!
    • Planning to lock your bootloader? Read this first

Installation

Planning to lock your bootloader?

Detailed guide:
    • follow MSe1969's guide here

Quick guide (assuming you have TWRP/SHRP already):
    1. Full clean install as described here (FAQ #2). DO NOT REPORT ISSUES when you have skipped that step!
    2. Flash /e/
    3. Optional (if you want root): Flash Magisk
    4. Flashing OpenGapps ????? NO No no! you don't want that on a google-free phone! /e/ contains everything you need to live without Google! So flashing OpenGapps on /e/ is like using a bit more secure LOS but that's not the point of /e/. Either try without or go with LOS (imho).
    5. Boot it (will take a bit on first boot!!! be patient!)
    6. Enjoy the most easy way to have a privacy focused and google-free phone!

Download

Get your builds from my leech server (new installs or re-installs)

https://leech.binbash.rocks:8008/e-os/a10/hotdog/ (planning to lock your bootloader? Read this first)

If you have a previous version of my(!) /e/ Q installed already and just want to update to a newer release:
    Android settings -> Updater (yes my builds have built-in OTA support!)

Note:
    1. Builds are updated as soon as possible. There is no build cycle.
    2. Information pertaining to your device is displayed accordingly.
    3. The current build is the latest for your device.

Changelogs
    • Join my Telegram groups (see "Support" topic)

Support

Of course in this thread but also by Telegram. I have created a generic group for all stuff around Android : here
    and another one if you want to keep up2date whenever I build something (TWRP, SHRP, LOS, /e/, ...): here

Credits
    • MSe1969, wth.. you did an AWESOME job (y)
    • LineageOS (the base of /e/)
    • The /e/ foundation and all related devs making this experience possible!
    • and all I forgot (let me know if that's the case ofc) ..
    Sources
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q #0: For CUSTOM builds only: Why is the /e/ App store not included??? It is GREAT!
    Mainly due to security and privacy concerns. Wth? I thought /e/ is secure and privacy focused? Yes it is but.. read on:

First of all the App store itself has no security or privacy issues. It is opensource and I see no issues with the app itself!
    ... the most important point for a smartphone is the availability of apps. I mean having a secure device which respects your privacy is great but it will have no chance to win when you cannot get easily apps on it.
    ... and the most dangerous part for a smartphone is installing apps because here is where Malware can easily step in! So whatever you do never install APK files from a website directly unless you can be 100% safe it is trustworthy.

It is all about trust again and when you look in the sources of the /e/ Apps store you find it connects to: cleanapk.org.
    /e/ makes that not a secret though as you can read here.
    So who is behind that cleanapk.org? Why is /e/ trusting them? While reading through the /e/ forums I found that this page hosts (as far as we know) apps mirrored from apkpure + fdroid.
    .. and it's completely unclear who hosts that site and where is behind it. On the other site /e/ (Gael, the founder as well) states clearly they are not in any relation to that site. "They just using their api".

here some facts:

• you cannot get the owner by a whois request
    • They have a info page here which just roughly describes where the apps are coming from and how
    • There is no detailed privacy statement or even an info if they keep your data GDPR compliant or not
    • No way for devs to get their apps removed or updated

The /e/ foundation clearly states they have no relationship to that repository of apps but some things are interesting aren't they:

During that mentioned discussion and after pointing Gael to that - the welcome message suddenly changed to what it is today..
    The full topic where even Gael is talking (not that friendly) is: here

TL;DR:
    /e/ is providing apps (the most used way to get infected by malware) by an API which is at least questionable.
    I do not say /e/ is doing questionable things and as said before the /e/ ROM is 100% trustworthy (otherwise I would not do any builds for it) but that cleanapk.org site is truly another story.
    An interesting quote of Gael can make one read between the lines (I marked the interesting ones bold and cursive):
    Some users have reported that they are using Aurora, [...] (context: we will never integrate this) because it’s infriging the play store terms of services.
    For this, we have to use indirect mechanisms, that don’t infrige the play store TOS, and therefore, we are using a service that is not officially part of the /e/ project, and which is called cleanapk.org
    On the long run, we other plans with partners, to offer something more transparent, but it’s too soon to talk about this.
    Of course /e/ needs to ensure that what they are doing is 100% legal and offering an app repository like cleanapk.org is not.
    My personal assumption is that /e/ is offering that repo - indirectly so not officially by the e.foundation itself.
    A relation between is for sure nothing they want to have public as this would cause legal questions.

So the last question is:
    Q: Why do I consider AuroraStore "better" then using cleanapk.org and so removed the /e/ apps store and adding AuroraStore instead?
    A: Because I definitively know where the apps are coming from when using Aurora instead of /e/. Not just the app itself is OSS (like the /e/ one) the apps are coming directly from the play store instead of an unknown source.

Q #01: I want to report an issue. What is the proper way to do so?
    I'm glad that you are asking: before doing so check the KNOWN ISSUES topic in the OP and ofc the other FAQ's listed here!
    if you have an audio issue follow FAQ #6 instead.

Often selinux can cause issues so try that at very first:
    Code:
    if you have magisk installed:
    adb shell
    su
    setenforce permissive

When " usb debugging root" is enabled in developer settings:
    adb root
    adb shell
    setenforce permissive
    Try again and if the issue is gone when in permissive mode: provide me a logcat as described here -> on step 3 I need the SELINUX log (option D)

If your issue is not solved with selinux permissive click here to proceed:

If your issue is not listed there follow the directions here briefly and I may can fix it:

logcat GUIDE

Ensure you have done a full CLEAN install before doing so (refer to FAQ #2 for what that means).

Warning: NO SUPPORT when:
    - magisk is installed (known to cause issues sometimes - regardless of the ROM or version)
    - Xposed is installed (known to cause issues sometimes - regardless of the ROM or version)
    If you have installed any of these UNINSTALL or better do a FULL CLEAN install (see FAQ #2) before doing anything else. Often enough these above causes several issues like battery draining, problems on booting and much more. Even when they may work properly you should re-produce your issue without them first and follow the above to grab the log.

Magisk is a great piece of software and besides that it is Open Source which SuperSu never was.
    I just saying I do not "support" issues when you have Magisk installed. Why? It is (like Xposed) extendable with modules (made by whoever) and those can cause billions of issues.
    Other then that magisk was sometimes the reason for battery drain etc. Magisk modifies the boot "process" and sits very deep in the system (which is needed to make it work ofc) but that has the potential to make a system/ROM unstable or result in strange behaviors.

so in order to support a specific issue I have to be sure the ROM is in a "clean" state, no magisk, no xposed.
    Pro-Tip: a very first test is to set magisk on core functions only to see if an extension causes your issue or not.

Q #02: I want to install clean, how? What is a clean install? What is the recommended way to flash a new ROM version?
    A clean install ensures that there are no leftovers from any previous install. One can say that there are 2 phases of a clean flash:
    1) regular
    2) full - when you (still) encounter issues

Usually the regular one is fully ok when flashing a new ROM version but if you encounter strange issues nobody else is reporting or if a release post is recommending it you should do a full clean install instead.

A regular clean install can be done like this:
    • WIPE -> Advanced -> select: System + Cache
    • Flash the ROM

A full clean install needs 2 steps more then the regular:
    • follow the steps for regular clean
    • go back in WIPE -> touch the "FORMAT data" button and type "yes" to format the internal storage (you will LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA - obviously)
    • REBOOT -> Recovery
    • Flash the ROM
    It is absolutely recommended to create a backup before and COPYING IT to your PC(!) before doing the above.

Q #03: Are there any plans or a chance of official /e/ builds?
    Yes. With your help! What you can do? Test and report EVEN SUCCESS in this thread.

Q #4: Is there a FAQ specific for /e/?
    Sure:

• FAQ: click
    • Forum: click
    • HOWTOs: click (a great resource for all your first questions)
    • App alternatives (to replace google variants): click

Q #5: issues with audio (e.g. echo's, silence on one or the other site, ..)? Read here how to provide a specific log for that:
    Do the following steps:

• 1) Ensure you have adb set up on your PC, and have adb debugging and adb root enabled in developer options on your phone
    • 2) Then perform the following (all one command)

On Linux:
      adb root ; adb shell "stop audioserver; logcat -c -b all; start audioserver" && sleep 10 && adb logcat -b all |egrep -vi "(dialer|telecom|ril|gsm|touch|brightn|dct|QC-time-services|SST|sensors|AlarmMan|Lights|perfp)"
      On windows:
      adb root ; adb shell "stop audioserver; logcat -c -b all; start audioserver && sleep 10 && logcat -b all |egrep -vi '(dialer|telecom|ril|gsm|touch|brightn|dct|QC-time-services|SST|sensors|AlarmMan|Lights|perfp)' "
    • 3) Then re-produce your audio issue and cancel the logcat from step 2 before hanging up!

• 4) Share the logcat output from the console screen using paste.omnirom.org

Q #6: I'm scared about that microG , I don't want to expose my phone so is this /e/ version a security risk?
    First of all you need a lot of trust installing ANY custom ROM. A developer can do nasty things right? Besides that yes microG allowing to let apps act like as they are another app, also known as signature spoofing. This CAN be a good and a bad thing. Read on why my builds are different:

In general the microG patch is an all or nothing. A ROM which supports microG (i.e. signature spoofing) have that feature enabled, always.
    The difference in my /e/ builds is that I am using the "restricted" option of signature spoofing so as long as you trust me you are as safe as without microG.

Q #7: What is the difference between CUSTOM and UNOFFICIAL builds?
    See OP

Q #8: Will my banking app (or other root detecting app) work with this ROM?
    The answer is .. well .. simple. it depends.
    First of all the following technique works regardless of what ROM you are using or what device. It worked with my LG G4, OnePlus 6T and now OP7tpro so its a generic "maybe-solution"
    Read on here:

I am using a german banking app which works even when root gets detected. It will prompt and say thats bad but I am still able to use it. The same was the case for the TAN generator app of the same bank but it fully stopped working one day after a (forced) app upgrade.
    So I started to play around and found a solution which works for me since several years but there is no guarantee it will work for you or for how long it will work. The process and steps must be followed briefly and nothing more, nothing less must be done.
    The following references a banking app but it applies to any app which rejects starting when root or a custom ROM has been detected:

1. you need root, i.e. Magisk. This ROM has a custom build which includes Magisk already.
    2. uninstall the currently not working banking app(s)
    3. install & setup a work-profile manager like Insular, Shelter, (if you do not care about google trackers: Island), or [fill-in-another] ,.....
    4. configure Magisk that it hides itself (i.e. re-package Magisk with a random name) & reboot just to be sure. and yes that works on signed and locked ROMs, too ;)
    5. newer Magisk versions will clone themself into the island profile during the repackage process so open island then switch to the island tab and remove the magisk app there (so not from the "mainland"!)
    6. install the banking app(s) - BUT DO NOT start it!
    7. clone that app into your work-profile (i.e. open Insular/Shelter/Island/.. find the app, clone it there), repeat that step for any app needed
    8. configure Magisk hide for this app(s) and ensure you select all options (some apps can be expanded in magisk hide, select all options then)
    9. remove any icons of your app(s) from your launcher but DO NOT UNINSTALL them!! (never)
    10. in your work-profile manager (Insular/Shelter/Island/...) find your app and create a quick start launcher (repeat that for any app needed)
    11. now start your banking app quick link (again it HAS to be the one created by your work-profile manager). usually you can identify that you are using the right one bc it has a mini icon of your work-profile manager on top of the regular app icon
    12. enjoy. if it does still detect root or a custom ROM you either have not followed the above steps briefly or you are out of luck.

Background:
    You cannot uninstall the app(s) from android (ever) because otherwise Magisk hide will not work. so you always need to keep that app(s) but never starting it.
    It can make sense to try another work-profile manager if the above way fails for you as the app devs using different techniques

Q #9: Will DRM protected content work? | Will this ROM satisfy Safetynet?
    Likely not. Yes this ROM is signed, selinux is enforcing and you can lock your bootloader but these days this is not enough anymore. While there are some workarounds available these might stop at any time. So do not expect that this will work or work for a long time.

LOCK your bootloader​

Yes you read correctly: you can lock your bootloader again! Why is that so amazing? The most important thing: security. When your bootloader is locked no one can install or modify without you notice it. Let's say you loose your phone and your bootloader is unlocked. The person can boot into fastboot and flash a custom recovery of his choice and have full access to your data (if not having a pin set) but also can tamper e.g. your system partitions like installing malware. Yea for that the attacker needs physical access to your phone but there is malware around and this is REAL which uses bugs to install themselves even on your system partition. For this the attacker does NOT need physical access to your phone.
    On a locked bootloader the device won't boot anymore as a modification like that will be detected.

Anyways.. yea one can say both attack variants are not THAT critical or affecting you as you are paying attention on what you do but .. there is a always a risk of undetectable malware like the good old drive-by downloads etc. so .. its all up to you if you want to have that extra barrier or not..

But before we begin
    a HUUUUGE thanks to @WhitbyGreg !!!
    All this here would not be possible without his great guide here ! Ofc I need to adapt it and integrate all this within my automation process but it would have been a LOT harder without his thread(s).
    So if you love it having a locked bootloader now - give HIM some thanks clicks, donations, hugs.. as well ;)

Checklist: is locking the bootloader something for me?​

If you answer anyone - even just 1 - of the following with YES - then KEEP AWAY FROM LOCKING your bootloader!
    • I want to remove (not just disable) system apps (often called bloatware)
    • I want to add / convert apps into system apps (e.g. Titanium Backup offers such an option)
    • For rooted variant: I want to update Magisk to the latest version
    • For rooted variant: I want to change init scripts, XMLs or anything else within system/, product/ etc partitions
    • For rooted variant: I want to use an ad-blocker which modifies the "hosts" file (system partition)
    • I want to install another recovery then the one coming with the ROM (SHRP)
    • I want to flash GApps (LOL! this is /e/ !! even on unlocked bootloader this won't work!)
    • I want to flash anything else in recovery which modifies: boot, recovery, system or any other partition then userdata
    Do you have answered at least 1 of the above with YES ? Then do NOT lock your bootloader. It WILL brick your device if you try.
    if you can live with the above - GO GO GO :)

Lock your bootloader - process​

Downloads

1. backup all your data. I am serious EVERYTHING. we need to FORMAT the userdata partition during the lock process and there is no way around. so use TB or Swiftbackup, Migrate or any other. Always a good idea to also having a TWRP/SHRP backup just for the case..
    2. boot your current recovery
    3. flash the ROM of your choice (with or without root)
    4. reboot to the bootloader / fastboot
    5. if you flashed the ROM with root: fastboot flash avb_custom_key hotdog_eos-q_custom-rooted_pkmd.bin
    6. if you flashed the ROM without root: fastboot flash avb_custom_key hotdog_eos-q_custom_pkmd.bin
    7. type: fastboot oem lock
    8. approve locking the bootloader on the phone's screen
    9. < take a deeeeeeep breath >
    10. recovery (SHRP) will load automatically
    11. choose wipe -> format(!) data (there is no way around)
    12. boot android -> you will notice a new bootloader message warning you that you have a custom ROM installed - but it will load
    13. congrats! you now running on a locked bootloader + /e/ OS!
    14. for the rooted variant: start the Magisk app (requires internet), accept the install request and open the magisk app afterwards and let it reboot when asked
    15. enjoooooy :)

Locked - now what?​

OEM unlock option
    The above does not mention one additional step: disabling OEM unlock in developer options. For a reason. I mean you CAN uncheck that option now that all is running fine but you don't get any more security tbh.
    The reason is if you keep it checked an attacker is able to unlock your device but it WILL format the encryption keys when done. that means no way to access your data anyways. If you want to avoid even that then feel free to uncheck OEM unlock in developer settings as well but then a brick will require low level recovery tools to bring your device back to life.

Magisk (rooted variant)
    I recommend to disable automatic update checking within magisk settings - remember: when flashing a newer version of magisk it WILL brick your device. you have to wait for me updating it within the ROM.
    Anything you do within Magisk can EASILY BRICK your device, installing a magisk module which tampers your system partition: BRICK. So really really check if a module touches anything mentioned in the above checklist topic. Using the magisk variant has HIGH potential of bricking your device.
    You can use all standard root functions, magisk hide and even re-pack the magisk app though.

Bricked
    Always keep an eye on the above "Checklist" topic! If you change/do something mentioned there you will brick your device with a snap of a finger.

Android does not boot anymore because you flashed a newer version of Magisk or changed something within the protected partitions:
    1. boot recovery (power off, press power on and vol down the same time and keep it pressed until you see the shrp logo)
    2. flash the current ROM version or a later release and reboot
    recovery does not load bc you flashed another recovery:
    • wait for the next OTA and it get fixed automatically
    • or unlock the bootloader again (this will need to FORMAT the userdata partition)
    forgot to mention it here (another reason why users should join my automation channel):
    Gestures are supported since the latest version.

breaking news:

I was working on using this device as my DD again but I have very strict requirements:
    • /e/ OS must work (reason: privacy focus, google-free) [ DONE ]
    • encryption must work (reason: security, e.g. loosing or selling the phone) [ DONE ]
    • selinux must run in enforcing [ DONE ]
    • /e/ OS must be signed with own private key (reason: allowing secure OTA and local/recovery upgrades) [ DONE ]
    • SHRP must work (reason: a password on startup can be set - allowing to have rich recovery feature set but secured - when the bootloader is locked!) [ DONE ]

and here the fun began:
    • /e/ OS must run on locked bootloader [ DONE ]
    • SHRP must run on locked bootloader [ DONE ]
    • OTA must work on locked bootloader [ WIP ]

so overall I am pretty much where I want to be and can provide a privacy focused, secure, google-free and locked bootloader experience soon...

stay tuned ;)