• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][unofficial] CyanogenMod 12.1 for Samsung Galaxy A3 (SM-A300FU)

Search This thread

evilracer123

Mar 30, 2013
Turku
CyanogenMod 12.1 for Samsung Galaxy A3 (SM-A300FU)

First alpha build! Bug reports welcome!

Notice:
This ROM is created for Samsung Galaxy A3 (SM-A300FU). Obviously it will not work on any other device.

Notice 2:
Uploading my files elsewhere (mirroring) is not appreciated.
If you need to add my files somewhere else, just use the links I have provided.

Disclaimer:
Code:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/*
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear
 * war, or the current economic crisis caused by you following these
 * directions. YOU are choosing to make these modificiations, and
 * if you point your finger at me for messing up your device, I will
 * laugh at you.
 */
If you have decided to install this ROM on your device, I cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your phone and/or for any other kind of inconveniences you may experience (bricks, late for job due to alarm clock not working etc.).
By installing this ROM, you accept this disclaimer.

What's not working / current issues:
Wifi is not working yet
Preview in stock camera app is broken

Currently the status of this ROM is PREVIEW, meaning it is not suitable for daily usage.

All Credits go to TheWhisp and Team MSM8916-Samsung!!!

Download (newest build):
https://mega.nz/#!LcQjiBJT!9ZIpVwZ_g2aeqsx6t86AFLc2hpvV4OpnNaiBRHQMxWg

Use TWRP to flash!

Last edited:

mooon3

Jan 7, 2014
Rennes
I try ASAP and let you know how it goes for me !

Edit 1 : All right, a few things I noticed. First it boots, perfectly though.
- Text size/display size is really bigger than on stock rom, surely something about screen definition the rom estimates ? Anyway I feel like using a phone for very old people with HUGE text ;)
- Impossible to activate WiFi. It says "activation in progress" but no luck. I tried to replace wlan.ko & pronto_wlan.ko with genuine ones from stock (workaround on mygalaxya rom allowing ril to work) to see if it's better, but then noticed that there's no such files in your rom (systeme/lib/modules and system/lib/modules/pronto usually)
- Preview bug in photo app (front & rear) but pictures are fine and well taken (workaround : use another photo app is fine)
- After doing not so much, the phone is hotter than ever before in months of using stock. Something burning... CPU related I assume ?
- SMS OK but MMS not sending (I didn't dig into APN and so... maybe nothing)
- calls OK
- Google Play does not connect (says to check connection which is working 4G speed everywhere else) / I could restore my apps via Titanium and use them with no trouble

@dcfied : you'll find a pretty working build for A300F right here. Don't own the terminal but feedback sounds good !

Last edited:

evilracer123

Mar 30, 2013
Turku
I try ASAP and let you know how it goes for me !

Edit 1 : All right, a few things I noticed. First it boots, perfectly though.
- Text size/display size is really bigger than on stock rom, surely something about screen definition the rom estimates ? Anyway I feel like using a phone for very old people with HUGE text ;)
- Impossible to activate WiFi. It says "activation in progress" but no luck. I tried to replace wlan.ko & pronto_wlan.ko with genuine ones from stock (workaround on mygalaxya rom allowing ril to work) to see if it's better, but then noticed that there's no such files in your rom (systeme/lib/modules and system/lib/modules/pronto usually)
- Preview bug in photo app (front & rear) but pictures are fine and well taken (workaround : use another photo app is fine)
- After doing not so much, the phone is hotter than ever before in months of using stock. Something burning... CPU related I assume ?
- SMS OK but MMS not sending (I didn't dig into APN and so... maybe nothing)
- calls OK
- Google Play does not connect (says to check connection which is working 4G speed everywhere else) / I could restore my apps via Titanium and use them with no trouble
Thanks for reports!
- Noticed the same thing with text size, set DPI to around 260 as a workaround
- Wifi is known to be broken, I'll see what i can do about it
- You mean, if you use the builtin camera app the screen is garbled but the pictures are OK?
- I dont know about phone getting hot.
- What GApps did you use?

Reactions: huskyuk

mooon3

Jan 7, 2014
Rennes
Thanks for reports!
- Noticed the same thing with text size, set DPI to around 260 as a workaround
- Wifi is known to be broken, I'll see what i can do about it
- You mean, if you use the builtin camera app the screen is garbled but the pictures are OK?
- I dont know about phone getting hot.
- What GApps did you use?

Hey ! I don't know (or remember...) how to change DPI, could you guide me ? In dev prefs ?
I confirm, preview in photo app is buggy, like little vertical lines all along the screen, reacting to what should be on screen. Looks like a graphic render issue, like a broken graphic card on Mac (souvenirs...)
I used GoogleApps_LL_CM12.1-20151310.zip (yeah, 13 for the month... but downloaded on nov 10th) but if you have a Gapps link to recommand I'll flash it again from scratch.
Anyway, happy to help as I'm not a dev at all, so feel free if you need anything, hoping it will falls under my jurisdiction ;)

evilracer123

Mar 30, 2013
Turku
Hey ! I don't know (or remember...) how to change DPI, could you guide me ? In dev prefs ?
I confirm, preview in photo app is buggy, like little vertical lines all along the screen, reacting to what should be on screen. Looks like a graphic render issue, like a broken graphic card on Mac (souvenirs...)
I used GoogleApps_LL_CM12.1-20151310.zip (yeah, 13 for the month... but downloaded on nov 10th) but if you have a Gapps link to recommand I'll flash it again from scratch.
Anyway, happy to help as I'm not a dev at all, so feel free if you need anything, hoping it will falls under my jurisdiction ;)
You can change DPI in Settings -> Display & Lights.
So if you take a picture, is it full of vertical lines or is it normal?
Could you try OpenGapps to fix the Play Store? http://opengapps.org/

Reactions: mooon3

zDemoox

Oct 26, 2015
Udine
Ok, it's stable enough, wlan.ko should work about that problem, it went in deep sleep only one time, the battery is ok @mooon3, I didn't know if it crashes when building dalvik

mooon3

Jan 7, 2014
Rennes
You can change DPI in Settings -> Display & Lights.
So if you take a picture, is it full of vertical lines or is it normal?
Could you try OpenGapps to fix the Play Store? http://opengapps.org/

- I changed DPI, much much better ;) Maybe you can put it to default on your next builds ?
- For pictures it shows disturbed preview but the result of the taken picture is all right. I tried two alternative apps and preview & capture are fine. @mygalaxya rom has the same issue and workaround. Could not guess what causes this ! You can also change the resolution of the picture (I just put 6mp in 16:9) and it displays well...
- For Gapps, my bad, maybe a time for it to put it together, without intervention it now connects and updates apps as it should...
- @zDemoox : No issue while dalvik cache is building for me. Did you got some ?
- Also @zDemoox : I also wanted the wlan & pronto replacement to try to fix wifi... but didn't find any wlan.ko or pronto folder in system/lib/modules... ???
- And at last a very little bug (I don't know if you can call it like that) but sometimes the top panel (I don't have the english word but this menu you grab from the top of the screen) is a little buggy and difficul to grab. I need to grab it a few times, going from the very top to the very bottom for it to fall and display menu...

Edit 1 : I may have forgotten to thank you @evilracer123 'cause whatever bugs I'm reporting here as @zDemoox said, it's impressively smooth and stable for a very first release !
- Also another thing : as the vibrations of this phone are very strong, is there anyway to modulate the powerness of vibrating ? On stock rom there is something like that in sounds settings, I just put it half way... I didn't find anything like this on CM ?

Edit 2 : I got a few FCs for com.qualcomm.timeservice too

Last edited:

zDemoox

Oct 26, 2015
Udine
@mooon3 how do you copy wlan.ko? My file manager (MiXplorer) doesn't allow me to copy that

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Oh, and MTP doesn't work

mooon3

Jan 7, 2014
Rennes
@mooon3 how do you copy wlan.ko? My file manager (MiXplorer) doesn't allow me to copy that

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Oh, and MTP doesn't work

I use ES Explorer but I guess it's more a root matter than a file manager one... You have to access system files. Obviously while you're still on stock rom, as these files will be deleted when flashing CM. But again, I didn't find the same files on the CM version, the .ko are not there, so I wasn't able to replace anything... Surely it goes somewhere else under CM operating system... but I didn't investigate so far !

And yes, no MTP for me neither but Bluetooth (with mac at least) !

Squall88uk

Jun 17, 2015
Manchester
Thanks for making this. Can't wait to try it out. I know how to install the custom rom and everything but I just wanted to see if anyone could answer something for me before I try to give it a go.

My handset is locked to my carrier (EE uk). When I was waiting for them to release the lollipop rom I looked into just flashing the BTU firmware onto my handset but I read somewhere that if you flash the unlocked firmware onto a locked handset it can cause issues with the modem or something like that.

The question that I have is that with the custom rom being designed to work for any handset regardless of carrier or region it is effectively an unlocked firmware so will I have the same issues when if I flash it over to my locked handset?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I'm not worried if it won't unlock the handset for me as I'm quite happy with my current carrier, I just don't want the fact that I'm locked to a carrier to cause issues with the rom that I may end up reporting as bugs as I have no way of telling if they're being caused by my handset being locked or by the rom itself.

Thanks in advance

evilracer123

Mar 30, 2013
Turku
Thanks for making this. Can't wait to try it out. I know how to install the custom rom and everything but I just wanted to see if anyone could answer something for me before I try to give it a go.

My handset is locked to my carrier (EE uk). When I was waiting for them to release the lollipop rom I looked into just flashing the BTU firmware onto my handset but I read somewhere that if you flash the unlocked firmware onto a locked handset it can cause issues with the modem or something like that.

The question that I have is that with the custom rom being designed to work for any handset regardless of carrier or region it is effectively an unlocked firmware so will I have the same issues when if I flash it over to my locked handset?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I'm not worried if it won't unlock the handset for me as I'm quite happy with my current carrier, I just don't want the fact that I'm locked to a carrier to cause issues with the rom that I may end up reporting as bugs as I have no way of telling if they're being caused by my handset being locked or by the rom itself.

Thanks in advance
I'm sorry, but I have no experience on locked phones.

New build!
https://mega.nz/#!rRRQBADR!cuq-fQcX8sdhOE96ommLKsWs05vHIgQ9x7yd-1nBX7U
In this build, the wifi is fixed partially. To make it work, you must copy the module manually:
Install the rom
Enable ADB, Superuser and Advanced Reboot from Developer settings
Download the module: https://mega.nz/#!SAARXRyA!LQ6INnWKMZl35AaAZNmfMNzIhw95SsyTYCXyVcEJjbc
Transfer the wlan.ko file to /system/lib/modules folder, like so: (using your pc)
Code:
adb root
adb remount
adb push wlan.ko /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko
And lastly, you need to install the module. This has to be done on every reboot. (if anyone knows how to automate this I'm open for suggestions!)
Code:
(adb shell) insmod /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko
After this you should be able to enable Wifi. If not, long press power button and select Soft Reboot.
Sounds complicated, right? Actually it isn't :D

Last edited:

Squall88uk

Jun 17, 2015
Manchester
Ok no problem. If no one is able to tell me whether or not it's going to work with a locked handset then I'll just wait until I get it unlocked. I just don't want to install it and end up with bugs that I falsely report believing to be issues with the rom and then complicate matters for you. Thanks for developing this though.

mooon3

Jan 7, 2014
Rennes
Wow impressive work @evilracer123 ! I did not updated yet and as I don't have any PC for a while I won't be able to try the adb workaround you offer for wifi.
Nevertheless I found another little issue on your first build : when I'm in call, when I put the phone to my hear it shut down the screen but seems to not deactivate totally the touch detection as I open often some apps like calendar or mail... It seems to me that my hear touch the screen and affect what should appear on it regardless the screen display is off... Not sure but I always find myself in hazardous menu and apps when I finish my calls!
But it's really smooth and stable, I use it since this morning and don't want any minute to come back to stock ROM now!!! Thanks thousands times!

Top Liked Posts