[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][instantnoodle][11] LineageOS 18.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

KennyG9

Jul 6, 2011
Paris
⚠ This project is no longer maintained. See below.

You are encouraged to migrate to the official nightly builds (huge thanks to @anishpratheepan and to the LOS team for bringing that up). If you update from an unofficial build, it is highly recommended that you opt-in for build signature check after the flash:
  • Open Settings
  • Privacy => Trust
  • Check "Build signature" at the very bottom
Note that you should be able to update from unofficial to official builds seamlessly, without wiping anything.

-----

2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions:
  • Unlock your bootloader
  • Backup everything, especially the "persist" partition
  • Make sure you're on a recent version of OxygenOS.
  • Download the latest build
  • Run the following commands:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
fastboot flash odm odm.img
fastboot flash product product.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash system_ext system_ext.img
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot reboot recovery
  • Wipe all data from recovery.
  • (Optional) If you need GApps, NikGApps Core are known to work ("Apply update" => "Update from ADB", and then run adb sideload <NikGapps-xxx-arm64-11-yyy.zip>). Note that other variants than Core can crash.
  • Reboot.

Downloads:

Known issues:
  • Displays "Charging slowly" when it's actually not
  • Build signed with public keys for now

Reporting Bugs:
  • Make sure the bug you want to report isn't already known
  • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
  • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
  • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
  • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
  • Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
What is your--
  LineageOS version:
  LineageOS Download url:
  Gapps version:

Did you--
  wipe:
  restore with titanium backup:
  reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
  a task killer:
  a non-stock kernel:
  other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][instantnoodle][11] LineageOS 18.1, ROM for the OnePlus 8

Contributors

KennyG9, LuK1337

Source Code:

ROM OS Version: Android 11
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information
Testing

Created 2021-01-07
Last Updated 2021-02-10

Last edited:

KennyG9

Jul 6, 2011
Paris
Very cool. Stoked. Can you add link for gapps as I know lineage needs to work properly.

I don't have GApps myself and I don't want to flash them on my personal device. I'm fine with adding a link in the original post provided that one or two person can confirm it works and provide instructions. I think NikGApps are the best candidate.

Last edited:

KennyG9

Jul 6, 2011
Paris

mobile_sensei

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 18, 2011
Washington DC
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 10 Pro
I made an attempt to bundle OpenGApps into the build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1edechrEwpX5L5SjE6OlsAjRckT-UF69t/view (using https://github.com/opengapps/aosp_build). It bootlooped on my device but I suspect that's because it requires a factory reset which I didn't want to do. Flashing instructions are identical, just make sure you have flashed OOS 11 at some point. If that happens to work for some of you, I'll try to publish both flavors with every release.
"Flash OOS 11 at some point"
What about upgrading from 17.1 ?
Also - Why no OOS 10 - 18.1?

KennyG9

Jul 6, 2011
Paris

LOS builds only contain a few subset of all the partitions that exist on the OP8 (system, boot, product, dtbo, and some others). The OP8 also contains a lot of other proprietary partitions (ABL, AOP, bluetooth, modem, etc…) that only the manufacturer is able to provide updates for. As far as I understand, those blobs must also be updated to be able to run Android 11 without issues. If you don't update them, it'll likely bootloop or refuse to boot and it's not recommended anyways.

I'm not sure upgrading from 17.1 to 18.1 without wiping is even possible, but if you want to give it a shot, I think your best bet is to extract all the proprietary images from a recent OOS build, then flash them and flash LOS 18.1 over that. You may avoid the annoying MSM step, but my bet is that you'll have to wipe anyways if you want to boot, so I strongly advise that your backup all your data and apps before. In deeper details, you need to :
- get a recent and official OOS 11 build from here : https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1586920535300
- extract the payload.bin from the image using a tool like this one : https://github.com/LineageOS/scripts/blob/master/update-payload-extractor/extract.py
- reboot to bootloader (adb reboot bootloader)
- flash the stock recovery you just extracted (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
- reboot into stock fastboot (fastboot reboot fastboot)
- flash all the blobs you just extracted (fastboot flash abl abl.img && fastboot flash aop aop.img && fastboot flash bluetooth bluetooth.img && ………)
- follow LOS 18.1 flashing instructions from the first post

Reactions: mobile_sensei

SUPERUSER

Jan 23, 2013

Yes I agree here.
I and need step by step exact instructions how to flash any rom here.
I am not even gonna try to flash this rom because I know my device is gonna end up at the Qualcomm dump mode.
I can't get anything booted if I flash anything coming from OOS11, don't ask because I have no idea why.
The only way to get my device booting stock rom at this point is to flash stock rom in EDL mode with the msm tool

My device is OnePlus 8 5G - 12GB/256GB Interstellar Glow- Firmware : Firmware: OxygenOS - GE / EN / FR / ES
IN2010

Inspected 2020.06.18

As TWRP isn't working completely is there way to do the equivalent full system backup with all partitions without TWRP perhaps via fastboot? Because I know I'm not gonna be able to flash a rom its gonna be the same story over and over again setting up the same stock rom over again ..it gets old.

Because custom software for OnePlus 8 is not at the stage of flash and forget I think a unified toolkit in a zip is needed.
It can be separate or bundled with each rom release and regularly updated that I can extract and cd into, and run the fastboot commands from to help making flashing roms and debug as accurate as we possibly can starting with all of us using the same exact toolkit to begin with.
  • Driver used
  • Developer framework ie fastboot, adb executable
  • Payload dumper
  • Readme File
  • Bat/sh file for automation
  • perhaps payload/img files
  • bundled with rom Gapps with dev, flavor and release because this seem to be subject to not booting

This would make sure everyone is 100% following the same exact instructions making debugging much easier, in this case it seem like gapps one piece of the puzzle possibly preventing rom from booting, in my case I'm can't even make it to square one getting stuck at Qualcomm dump mode..

LOS builds only contain a few subset of all the partitions that exist on the OP8 (system, boot, product, dtbo, and some others). The OP8 also contains a lot of other proprietary partitions (ABL, AOP, bluetooth, modem, etc…) that only the manufacturer is able to provide updates for. As far as I understand, those blobs must also be updated to be able to run Android 11 without issues. If you don't update them, it'll likely bootloop or refuse to boot and it's not recommended anyways. I'm not sure upgrading from 17.1 to 18.1 without wiping is even possible, but if you want to give it a shot, I think your best bet is to extract all the proprietary images from a recent OOS build, then flash them and flash LOS 18.1 over that. You may avoid the annoying MSM step, but my bet is that you'll have to wipe anyways if you want to boot, so I strongly advise that your backup all your data and apps before. In deeper details, you need to : - get a recent and official OOS 11 build from here : https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1586920535300 - extract the payload.bin from the image using a tool like this one : https://github.com/LineageOS/scripts/blob/master/update-payload-extractor/extract.py - reboot to bootloader (adb reboot bootloader) - flash the stock recovery you just extracted (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img) - reboot into stock fastboot (fastboot reboot fastboot) - flash all the blobs you just extracted (fastboot flash abl abl.img && fastboot flash aop aop.img && fastboot flash bluetooth bluetooth.img && ………) - follow LOS 18.1 flashing instructions from the first post

Good information, I didn't finish my reply during breakfast and noticed you wrote one more.
The only thing I am not comfortable with is that there are links to tools that I have to download from the internet.
Its one factor subject to being sourced from random google searches.
Like the fastboot binary from xda although old doesn't work on op8, I found out the hard way and I am now downloading this directly from Android developer page.
But a lot of headache could be eliminated trying to figure out where and which binaries should be used, what work and what does not.
Is fastboot/adb bundle too old or driver not installed?
Did all of us follow the exact same installation steps in detail the rom developer did?
I hope you understand.
This device has been the most problematic I've ever dealt with

KennyG9

Jul 6, 2011
Paris
Yes I agree here.
I and need step by step exact instructions how to flash any rom here.
I am not even gonna try to flash this rom because I know my device is gonna end up at the Qualcomm dump mode.
I can't get anything booted if I flash anything coming from OOS11, don't ask because I have no idea why.
The only way to get my device booting stock rom at this point is to flash stock rom in EDL mode with the msm tool

My device is OnePlus 8 5G - 12GB/256GB Interstellar Glow- Firmware : Firmware: OxygenOS - GE / EN / FR / ES
IN2010

Inspected 2020.06.18

As TWRP isn't working completely is there way to do the equivalent full system backup with all partitions without TWRP perhaps via fastboot? Because I know I'm not gonna be able to flash a rom its gonna be the same story over and over again setting up the same stock rom over again ..it gets old.

Because custom software for OnePlus 8 is not at the stage of flash and forget I think a unified toolkit in a zip is needed.
It can be separate or bundled with each rom release and regularly updated that I can extract and cd into, and run the fastboot commands from to help making flashing roms and debug as accurate as we possibly can starting with all of us using the same exact toolkit to begin with.
  • Driver used
  • Developer framework ie fastboot, adb executable
  • Payload dumper
  • Readme File
  • Bat/sh file for automation
  • perhaps payload/img files
  • bundled with rom Gapps with dev, flavor and release because this seem to be subject to not booting

This would make sure everyone is 100% following the same exact instructions making debugging much easier, in this case it seem like gapps one piece of the puzzle possibly preventing rom from booting, in my case I'm can't even make it to square one getting stuck at Qualcomm dump mode..

Good information, I didn't finish my reply during breakfast and noticed you wrote one more.
The only thing I am not comfortable with is that there are links to tools that I have to download from the internet.
Its one factor subject to being sourced from random google searches.
Like the fastboot binary from xda although old doesn't work on op8, I found out the hard way and I am now downloading this directly from Android developer page.
But a lot of headache could be eliminated trying to figure out where and which binaries should be used, what work and what does not.
Is fastboot/adb bundle too old or driver not installed?
Did all of us follow the exact same installation steps in detail the rom developer did?
I hope you understand.
This device has been the most problematic I've ever dealt with

I don't have a definitive answer to everything, but here are some remarks:

- Not sure what exactly your problems were and I'm unaware of any way to backup partitions using fastboot unfortunately. As far as I know, it was not possible to restore nandroid backups using mauronofrio's TWRP on Android 10 either. I think the best you can achieve for now is software and data backup (using "adb pull" and "OAndBackup+" or something else). I can also attest that I had way more weird partitioning issues when using TWRP than LOS' fastboot. Since I stopped using TWRP, I never had to use MSM again.

- What you may attempt to reduce the risk of bricking your device is to take advantage of the A/B partitioning. You can flash everything on the unused slot and switch back to the working slot if anything goes wrong. This can be done by running "fastboot getvar current-slot" to get the current slot, then "fastboot --set-active=a" to switch to slot a (or "fastboot --set-active=b" to switch to slot b, depending on which slot was active).

- I second your reluctance on using tools coming from untrusted sources. Please, don't get fastboot/adb from XDA, use the official Android builds. I can't help you regarding the drivers as I use Linux which ships with drivers, but if you use Windows try to get those drivers from either Microsoft, OnePlus or Qualcomm directly. My instructions to avoid flashing Android 11 with MSM makes you use an official image from OnePlus (which you have to trust anyways) + an open-source tool that's made by LOS developers (which you have to trust anyways). At this point, I think the weakest point of trust if you don't want to build LOS yourself is me.

- Regardless of what you attempt, always make sure you have backups of your valuable data, apps and persist partition. Especially given how capricious this device is :) .

Last edited:

veridiam

Oct 13, 2018
working great so far. any way to re-enable the 90Hz refresh rate?
edit: found it in display options!

Last edited:
Reactions: KennyG9

veridiam

Oct 13, 2018
any way to get the OP camera app working? tried several versions available on APKMirror, but all seem to crash. maybe there are some dependencies?

mvmike

Mar 13, 2018
Catalonia
github.com
OnePlus 8
any way to get the OP camera app working? tried several versions available on APKMirror, but all seem to crash. maybe there are some dependencies?

There's a lot of proprietary software/firmware (apart from the camera apk itself) that its not included in LOS. There have been some ports in the past (e.g. OnePlus6 OOS Camera port or oxy-ify) but all of them seem dead, maybe because google camera port working out of the box.

Creating a magisk module should be doable, but you need to start the app, let it crash and add the missing dep N times until you have all of them

KennyG9

Jul 6, 2011
Paris
Would you be able to look into face unlock? Handy feature for me especially at work. 😉

Face unlock is an OxygenOS feature and I don't think AOSP or LineageOS supports something like that officially as it's quite terrible security-wise. GApps also dropped support for face unlock in Android 10 because of security concerns. So unless I'm missing something it probably won't happen anytime soon unless through some third-party module, sorry. It's not just about porting some blobs, it's a whole new OS feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: passion8059
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ⚠ This project is no longer maintained. See below.

You are encouraged to migrate to the official nightly builds (huge thanks to @anishpratheepan and to the LOS team for bringing that up). If you update from an unofficial build, it is highly recommended that you opt-in for build signature check after the flash:
    • Open Settings
    • Privacy => Trust
    • Check "Build signature" at the very bottom
    Note that you should be able to update from unofficial to official builds seamlessly, without wiping anything.

-----

2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions:
    • Unlock your bootloader
    • Backup everything, especially the "persist" partition
    • Make sure you're on a recent version of OxygenOS.
    • Download the latest build
    • Run the following commands:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot reboot fastboot
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
    fastboot flash odm odm.img
    fastboot flash product product.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash system_ext system_ext.img
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot flash vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img
    fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
    fastboot reboot recovery
    • Wipe all data from recovery.
    • (Optional) If you need GApps, NikGApps Core are known to work ("Apply update" => "Update from ADB", and then run adb sideload <NikGapps-xxx-arm64-11-yyy.zip>). Note that other variants than Core can crash.
    • Reboot.

Downloads:

Known issues:
    • Displays "Charging slowly" when it's actually not
    • Build signed with public keys for now

Reporting Bugs:
    • Make sure the bug you want to report isn't already known
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    • Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
      LineageOS version:
      LineageOS Download url:
      Gapps version:

Did you--
      wipe:
      restore with titanium backup:
      reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
      a task killer:
      a non-stock kernel:
      other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][UNOFFICIAL][instantnoodle][11] LineageOS 18.1, ROM for the OnePlus 8

Contributors

KennyG9, LuK1337

Source Code:

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information
    Testing

Created 2021-01-07
    Last Updated 2021-02-10
    I just released a new build which is now based on the official LineageOS device tree for instantnoodle. I don't know if that means official builds are arriving anytime soon for our device, but that's good news there now is a device tree hosted by them. Note that their device tree changes the cutout to gain some space but that breaks symmetry (I personally don't care much). It also changes the device fingerprint (which wasn't correct in the January build) among a few other things.

Important note: Compared to the January build, there are two extra partitions to flash (odm and vendor). Make sure you update your flashing scripts.
    So it finally happened, LOS went official with 18.1 and instantnoodle is there 😍

Kudos to everyone involved from @LuK1337 @KennyG9 🙇‍♂️
    ngl but kenny wasn't really involved. You should thank @anishpratheepan instead as he was the one responsible for initial official OP8 bringup.
    I made an attempt to bundle OpenGApps into the build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1edechrEwpX5L5SjE6OlsAjRckT-UF69t/view (using https://github.com/opengapps/aosp_build). It bootlooped on my device but I suspect that's because it requires a factory reset which I didn't want to do. Flashing instructions are identical, just make sure you have flashed OOS 11 at some point. If that happens to work for some of you, I'll try to publish both flavors with every release.
    Very cool. Stoked. Can you add link for gapps as I know lineage needs to work properly.