• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] Lineage OS 16.0

Search This thread

nwmvantiel

Jan 18, 2019
clear data cache and dalvik This bit - The original instructions were to wipe -format here for the second time due verity/slot
swap logic

Weird thing is, first i was using the nano Gapps and it wouldnt boot after installation of Gapps,
after this i tried with pico installation and that did work...i dont think i did anything different...
just clear everything after every install and reboot just to be sure to not forget anything...

So its working for now with pico Gapps,
Ideally i would want to work withour google services, tried some alternatives, but those apps felt pretty crappy, simple searches for apps werent working etc...
Is there any good manual on which steps to take to have a working phone without google?

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
Weird thing is, first i was using the nano Gapps and it wouldnt boot after installation of Gapps,

after this i tried with pico installation and that did work...i dont think i did anything different...

just clear everything after every install and reboot just to be sure to not forget anything...

So its working for now with pico Gapps,

Ideally i would want to work withour google services, tried some alternatives, but those apps felt pretty crappy, simple searches for apps werent working etc...

Is there any good manual on which steps to take to have a working phone without google?
Micro G is the way to go for Google freedom. There was another user who planned to release a lineage build with support for Micro G. My builds don't include as they follow lineage's standards. However, iirc there is a Magisk Module which enables the support as well.

infected36

May 10, 2017
Hey, thanks for the ROM. I've followed all the instructions to a T, but for some reason I can't boot up after installing Gapps. Here's all my steps:
- Boot up into TWRP
- format data
- reboot into recovery
- Install lineage then TWRP.
- Boot into the system
- Reboot to TWRP
- Format data again
- install Gapps (tried nano, mini and pico)

After that it can't boot into system anymore. I've tried every variation of formatting, but maybe I've been doing it wrong. After a while I gave up and tried using the ROM without Gapps, then after messing around I decided to install magisk, but after I install it through TWRP, I couldn't boot back into system, don't know if it's in any way related, but I thought it might be relevant.

Thanks in advance!

Vastopian

Dec 11, 2017
Hey, thanks for the ROM. I've followed all the instructions to a T, but for some reason I can't boot up after installing Gapps. Here's all my steps:
- Boot up into TWRP
- format data
- reboot into recovery
- Boot into the system
- Reboot to TWRP
- Format data again

After that it can't boot into system anymore. I've tried every variation of formatting, but maybe I've been doing it wrong. After a while I gave up and tried using the ROM without Gapps, then after messing around I decided to install magisk, but after I install it through TWRP, I couldn't boot back into system, don't know if it's in any way related, but I thought it might be relevant.

Thanks in advance!

Did you try not formating the data the second time after you booted into the system?

Vastopian

Dec 11, 2017
- Boot up into TWRP
- format data
- reboot into recovery
- Boot into the system
- Reboot to TWRP
- Format data again

Thanks in advance!

Forget what I said. I had the same issue when I tried. I used magisk. Here's what I did.

Download magisk and the uninstaller
Then boot into twrp and use the uninstaller
Then boot into os
Boot into twrp and use magisk
Boot os and reboot into twrp
And finally do your gapps.

Filipe Baltazar

Jun 21, 2015
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
One question, is this phone GSI/Treble capable out of the box? I have a Galaxy A3 2017 that barely has any support and came out way before GSI's were a thing. Also, does it have a Knox equivalent?

My biggest issue with mid range phones nowadays is the lack of decent custom ROM support. The G7 Plus looks amazing and full of incredible hardware but doesn't even have official LOS support. Hopefully support will improve.
I'd love to buy it.

Vastopian

Dec 11, 2017
One question, is this phone GSI/Treble capable out of the box? I have a Galaxy A3 2017 that barely has any support and came out way before GSI's were a thing. Also, does it have a Knox equivalent?

My biggest issue with mid range phones nowadays is the lack of decent custom ROM support. The G7 Plus looks amazing and full of incredible hardware but doesn't even have official LOS support. Hopefully support will improve.
I'd love to buy it.

Not sure about the GSI. I know theirs am AOSP rom and LOS. But I don't think there's a Knox equivalent. I have the TMobile Moto g7+ it's the revvlry+ which was free. Only thing so far I wish is that the camera was better on LOS.

Filipe Baltazar

Jun 21, 2015
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Not sure about the GSI. I know theirs am AOSP rom and LOS. But I don't think there's a Knox equivalent. I have the TMobile Moto g7+ it's the revvlry+ which was free. Only thing so far I wish is that the camera was better on LOS.

Get Gcam here https://forum.xda-developers.com/g7-plus/themes/portrait-night-sight-google-camera-port-t3908735

Thank god there's no Knox. My mom's phone is dying and I want to give her mine but having Knox tripped is always a mild bummer. Samsung sucks for custom stuff. Moto is much more forgiving, everything can be reset to stock.
I'll look more into the GSI scene.

Vastopian

Dec 11, 2017
Get Gcam here https://forum.xda-developers.com/g7-plus/themes/portrait-night-sight-google-camera-port-t3908735

Thank god there's no Knox. My mom's phone is dying and I want to give her mine but having Knox tripped is always a mild bummer. Samsung sucks for custom stuff. Moto is much more forgiving, everything can be reset to stock.
I'll look more into the GSI scene.

I've tried different cameras. After you put LOS in the same camera app looks different and grainy for some reason.

JangTsu

Jan 4, 2018
Does this work for the international variant model XT1965-2

Does anyone know if this works for the XT1965-2 model? i have that exact model but i was wondering if it works for that one, maybe the developer can anwser that question. I have the international variant

Kaylaw

Dec 11, 2019
for now, i'm using this version on my moto g7 plus, so far i have only found simple bugs like the hacked numeric keypad when used during a call in the native app, I'm looking forward to Lineage 17, which is now available, but I didn't find any gapps that work and don't break the ROM.

delop4

Nov 9, 2016
@Jleeblanch

I'm on your lineage 17 2019-11-17 build and everything works so far, but I only get EDGE as connection. Tried all over apn settings and such things, all normal. Got a radio log for you, if you need anything else just ask me.

Thanks

Attachments

• radio.txt
    328.1 KB · Views: 3

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6

delop4

Nov 9, 2016
@Jleeblanch

I'm on your lineage 17 2019-11-17 build and everything works so far, but I only get EDGE as connection. Tried all over apn settings and such things, all normal. Got a radio log for you, if you need anything else just ask me.

Thanks

So, a quick update:
After flashing stock and reinstalling lineage 17 2019-11-17, I now have 4G.

My other problem has nothing to do with lineage, so I hope it's okay that I ask you guys here anyway:

The old problem persists, on ANY Pie rom, I get no service nor wifi, even on stock rom. Bootloader shows "Baseband: <not found>", even now on lineage 17, but surprisingly, there service and wifi works anyhow. This all started after I flashed Quack Phh-Treble and going back to stock afterwards. All efforts, flashing various stock rom's or trying to restore a full TWRP backup with all partitions, had no success. Maybe anyone of you got an idea about what I could try else...

Thanks

enilkcals

Dec 18, 2011
First and foremost, thanks for your work on TWRP and LineageOS for the G7 Plus Jleeblanch, it tipped me in favour of purchasing this phone.

This is probably a dumb question but after I "Reboot and let ROM boot once (It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic." do I need to bother signing in to LineageOS or should I just power off and reboot into the bootloader then TWRP recovery?

Also, without a microSD card, after wiping Data it clears /sdcard which is where I've adb push'd open gapps and Magisk so how do I get them back onto the device (particularly if I never fully start LineageOS and download them directly on the phone)? Will adb sideloading in TWRP work at this stage (it didn't after the initial installation of TWRP, which is I presume why to flash Lineage you fastboot the image of TWRP).

Thus, should I also fastboot the TWRP image after letting the ROM boot once (to the white screen with Lineage symbol, "Make Emergency Calls" and "Next" on it), wipe data, then adb push open gapps and Magisk and then install them?

EDIT : I went ahead and booted TWRP on the phone and after wiping Data could use adb push to get gapps and Magisk onto the phone however...I seem unable to install anything from the Play store having installed nano as recommended. I've seen a few posts on the previous page about this so will have a play around.

Last edited:

enilkcals

Dec 18, 2011
Ok, sorted out OpenGapps by rebooting to TWRP, clearing dalvik cache and flashing nano and Magisk again.

Play store works and apps retored from backup.

Unfortunately I could only get MatLog to request root access, Titanium Backup and AdAway had their "Request rejected" when asking for root. I found this suggestion) from earlier in the year (and an older version of Magisk) but gave it a whirl and whaddaya know it worked. The following steps got Magisk onto the phone...

1. In MagiskManager select Uninstall > Complete Uninstall.
2. Reboot to recovery and flash MagiskUinstaller.zip.
3. Wipe Dalvik/cache and reboot to system.
4. Install MagiskManager apk.
5. Reboot to recovery and flash Magisk zip (at the time of writing this was 20.1).
6. Wipe Dalvik/cache.
7. Reboot to system.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    P6tVwPF.jpg

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (Pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

[size=+2]Introduction:[/size]

This is the unofficial Lineage OS thread for the Moto G7 Plus, codename lake.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

[size=+2]Downloads:[/size]

[size=+1]ROM[/size]
    [size=+1]Recovery[/size]
    [size=+1]GApps[/size]
    • OpenGApps || arm64 - nano version recommended
    [size=+2]Installation:[/size]
    • Download the ROM and GApps from the links above.
    • Boot the latest twrp.img (or reboot the bootloader and then to twrp if already installed).
    • IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL THE copy-partitions-AB.zip (to avoid bricking)
    • In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted.
    • Flash latest build of lineageos
    • Flash latest twrp-installer zip (to keep twrp installed, it'll flash to both slots)
    • Reboot and let ROM boot once (It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    • Reboot back to the bootloader and then recovery
    • In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted
    • Flash GApps (and Magisk if you want root) and Reboot
    • Profit :p
    [size=+2]Notes:[/size]
    • Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine, though is not supported.)

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage OS 16.0, ROM for the Moto G7 Plus

Contributors
    Jleeblanch, erfanoabdi
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Official Pie
    Based On: Lineage

Version Information

Created 2019-09-08
    Last Updated 2019-09-29
    LineageOS 16.0

Download -> lineage-16.0-20200116-UNOFFICIAL-lake.zip

Changes:
    -> SELinux Enforcing
    -> Security Patches thru Dec
    -> Blobs updated to PPWS29.98-111-9
    -> Audio changes

NOTES:
    -> This is a debugging build (eng) and if needed, adb should be available during boot. If you guys could please test audio and daily usage. This is the last hurdle before we can go official :)
    BUGS
    • The mic is muted (meaning the other person can't hear you) when using Speaker phone in Calls <- FIXED
    • Low in-call volume <- WIP
    • SELinux is Permissive Enforced
    Many thanks @Jleeblanch!

It's definitely faster & smoother than stock, and everything is working fine except for passing ctsProfile in safetynet as noted, also keep getting the SD card setup notification on every reboot, but very minor stuff for an initial release of the first ROM created for the G7 Plus. Camera works with no errors, there are several Moto gestures, advanced reboot & other useful customization, really a nice job! I don't currently have a SIM in it so can't speak to call quality & such.

Since July my device was stuck either in a damaged bootloader with fastboot commands not working (thus unable to flash any firmware) or an early version of TWRP without touch working, also couldn't boot to system so was basically dead in the water. ADB still worked in recovery however, and I recently found a 'adb reboot sideload' command that starts an ADB sideload session without needing any touch, then I was able to sideload twrp-installer-3.3.1-v6.0-lake.zip to get a functional TWRP again! The device could then boot to system again but it was still on 29.98.66-2 that I couldn't update either by OTA or with fastboot since commands still not working. Apparently I can install ROMs with no problems in TWRP.
    Not sure if anyone noticed, but I posted a new build earlier today (updated the Latest build in the OP ?

It was discovered that the touchscreen wasn't working in Android 10 based GSI's, so I've fixed at least that issue in the new update! However, there are still other issues that need resolving, so use at your own risk.