[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] Lineage OS 16.0

Search This thread

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
Hey, just doing some testing on this latest build, phone calls seem to be working now, although I get a red border around the app when dialing out, google tells me this is because of 'strict mode' but I have that disabled, perhaps you've hard coded it in the test build? Setting battery mode to 'performance' rather than 'balanced' seems to remove it.

Moto Camera app is still not recording sound though, it gives me a warning "Hardware version does not support Portrait mode", not sure if that's relevant.

Everything else seems to be working good.

Let me know if you need any debug data to help fix these issues.

The red border is due to being a debugging build (-eng), nothing to worry about (although annoying at times) but isn't an issue in final release builds. As for Moto Cam, not sure about that but will look into it asap.

blipk99

Mar 24, 2020
The red border is due to being a debugging build (-eng), nothing to worry about (although annoying at times) but isn't an issue in final release builds. As for Moto Cam, not sure about that but will look into it asap.

Thank you!

It wouldn't bother me so much except that the native lineageos camera seems to darken videos a lot, and setting the focus to macro doesn't work as well as the moto camera app.

Thomas080808

Aug 16, 2017
Upgrading

I want to try and upgrade from lineage 16.1 to 17.1
do I just format everything and flash the new version, gapps and magisk all over again

Thomas080808

Aug 16, 2017
lineage 17.1

I can't get any of the 3 gapps files to work I downloaded v10 pico nano and micro and I just get stuck with a checking info loop any suggestions how to fix

infected36

May 10, 2017
LineageOS 17.1

Hey, I installed your latest version of 17.1, everything seems to be working alright. I see the red border you mentioned before but it doesn't get in the way.

I had some trouble in the installation when it came to install gapps and magisk. I ended up not wiping data, only dalvik/Cache and it worked.

Also, I like to use my phone with display and font size really small, and that together with gesture navigation, left a huge gap between the apps in the launcher, as well as a huge gap between the favorites line and the bottom of the phone. I don't know if that's something that can be changed, but thought I might throw that in there.

I haven't used everything yet, but if I find any problems, I'll relay it.

P.S.: When is this build becoming official? I've never had a device with an official build!

KelleyCook

Mar 29, 2013
I can't get any of the 3 gapps files to work I downloaded v10 pico nano and micro and I just get stuck with a checking info loop any suggestions how to fix

*EDIT* After trying to go back to 16.0 20200201 which was doing the same weird encrption problem plus force wipe, going through the thread I realized that I never ran the copy-a-to-b script (IMO this should have a better name like prepare_for_custom_roms.zip -- the name implies it just makes a backup of stock).

Anyhow v16 it fixed 2 and 3. And gapps installed fine. This probably will work in 17.1 also. I'll find out after this evening.
*ENDEDIT*

Previous message

You are not alone

1. I'm getting the same thing. I tried going back to a OpenGapps 0305 version with no improvement and also tried bitgapps with the same result.

Possibly related other oddities

2. after installing 17.1, the decryption for internal storage is not working in either twrp or (ugh) lineageos recovery.

3. Furthermore I can't install LineageOS 17.1 and then twrp without first rebooting and waiting for that annoying Lineage Recovery wipe all data prompt. If I do, then twrp comes back with no OS. Twrp 3.3.1 (official or the jlb3.3.1-5.1 zip) installs fine if I boot Lineage and then sideload twrp from the bootloader.

Last edited:

jundran

Mar 30, 2020
Hello. I just installed the rom and gapps but Wi-Fi will not turn on and neither of my sim cards are detected. It's my first time installing a custom rom. What should I do?

EDIT: I fixed it. I think I may have deleted the vendor or oem partitions. I reinstalled stock using fastboot rather than sideloading it.

Last edited:

blipk99

Mar 24, 2020
*EDIT* After trying to go back to 16.0 20200201 which was doing the same weird encrption problem plus force wipe, going through the thread I realized that I never ran the copy-a-to-b script (IMO this should have a better name like prepare_for_custom_roms.zip -- the name implies it just makes a backup of stock).

Anyhow v16 it fixed 2 and 3. And gapps installed fine. This probably will work in 17.1 also. I'll find out after this evening.
*ENDEDIT*

Previous message

You are not alone

1. I'm getting the same thing. I tried going back to a OpenGapps 0305 version with no improvement and also tried bitgapps with the same result.

Possibly related other oddities

2. after installing 17.1, the decryption for internal storage is not working in either twrp or (ugh) lineageos recovery.

3. Furthermore I can't install LineageOS 17.1 and then twrp without first rebooting and waiting for that annoying Lineage Recovery wipe all data prompt. If I do, then twrp comes back with no OS. Twrp 3.3.1 (official or the jlb3.3.1-5.1 zip) installs fine if I boot Lineage and then sideload twrp from the bootloader.

Make sure you're downloading the Android 10 gapps, I can't say for sure as I don't use gapps, but going through the process properly from scratch usually fixes issues.

A couple of times I had to use the info in the other thread to find and then flash the stock ROMs again before anything custom, completely wiping everything from TWRP then doing this should fix encryption issues, although fastboot can give you some trouble after a wipe and you might need to belt the device a little.

Thomas080808

Aug 16, 2017
Make sure you're downloading the Android 10 gapps, I can't say for sure as I don't use gapps, but going through the process properly from scratch usually fixes issues.

A couple of times I had to use the info in the other thread to find and then flash the stock ROMs again before anything custom, completely wiping everything from TWRP then doing this should fix encryption issues, although fastboot can give you some trouble after a wipe and you might need to belt the device a little.

I've tried going back to stock then loading twrp flash a-b partitions, factory/wipe data/cache/dalvic flash lineage 17.1 reboot to system, reboot to recovery factory/wipe data/cache/dalvic flash gapps and reboot to system. I can get into lineage 17.1 but all google apps playstore etc get stuck at a sign in loop

jmozmoz

Dec 17, 2011
If I build a new LineageOS 16.0 ROM following the instructions at https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/lake/build (but for the 16.0 branch) can I dirty flash it over the ROM downloaded from this thread? (lineage-16.0-20200201-UNOFFICIAL-lake.zip)

The plan is to boot into TWRP and flash it there.

Currently, GApps (nano) and Magisk are installed

Any advice?

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
If I build a new LineageOS 16.0 ROM following the instructions at https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/lake/build (but for the 16.0 branch) can I dirty flash it over the ROM downloaded from this thread? (lineage-16.0-20200201-UNOFFICIAL-lake.zip)

The plan is to boot into TWRP and flash it there.

Currently, GApps (nano) and Magisk are installed

Any advice?

In theory, yes. If you follow the instructions on the Wiki to build Lineage 16.0, the only extra step you would need to take is fetching and pulling the kernel source from my github, which I'll explain how to do below. You can use the lineage build you mentioned in your post (lineage-16.0-20200201-UNOFFICIAL-lake.zip) to extract the proprietary blobs needed for the vendor source (either from the zip itself of from a device running that build).

Building LIneage 16.0 for Lake (using LIneageOS Wiki instructions):
After you're successfully able to run breakfast lake
you'll need to move into the kernel source directory and fetch and pull my changes for lake by doing the following:
Code:
cd kernel/motorola/msm8998 && \
git pull https://github.com/Jleeblanch/kernel_motorola_sdm660 lineage-16.0 && \
croot
NOTE: Just simply copy/paste the above code into the root of the lineage source tree (and press <enter>) AFTER successfully running breakfast lake

At this point, you'll be back at the root of the Lineage source tree and can continue with the Wiki instructions. Once the build is finished, you can flash in TWRP as usual.

Reactions: jmozmoz

jmozmoz

Dec 17, 2011
Thank you very much for your help. I was able to build it and installed it on my phone.

Just a few remarks, which might help other people trying the same:
  • Instructions how to exctract the proprietary blobs from a linage rom zip can be found here: https://wiki.lineageos.org/extracting_blobs_from_zips.html In this case, follow the instruction for the third method (Extracting proprietary blobs from payload-based OTAs)
  • Downloading the blobs form the phone did not work, probably because root cannot be enabled for adb.
  • After flashing only the new-build ROM and booting into the system notifications showed up all the time, that google services have stopped. So you must also flash GApps (and probably Magisk) again. After this, the system seem to work correctly.
  • The ROM reports: Status of safety updates: March 5th, 2020, vendor safety patch level: March 1st, 2019 (my translations from German)
I had to restart the build process serveral times, probably because the computer run out of memory (8 GB).

Is there a way to add your kernel repository to .repo/local_manifests/roomservice.xml like described above in this post? https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=81364707&postcount=63

P.S. I did the build using gentoo. I followed this post to install the required packages: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8334710.html?sid=1f634338bafd3715deb27cf814695f0d#8334710
Code:
emerge -u    app-arch/lz4   app-arch/lzop   media-gfx/imagemagick   media-gfx/pngcrush   app-crypt/gnupg   app-arch/zip[-natspec]   app-arch/unzip   ">=dev-java/icedtea-bin-3.4.0:8"   dev-libs/libxslt   dev-libs/libxml2   dev-util/android-tools   dev-util/ccache   dev-util/gperf   dev-vcs/git   media-libs/libsdl   media-libs/mesa   net-misc/curl   net-misc/rsync   sys-devel/bc   sys-devel/bison  sys-devel/flex   sys-devel/gcc[cxx]   sys-libs/ncurses:5[tinfo,abi_x86_32]   sys-libs/readline[abi_x86_32]   sys-libs/zlib[abi_x86_32]   sys-process/schedtool   sys-fs/squashfs-tools  x11-base/xorg-proto   x11-libs/libX11   x11-libs/wxGTK:3.0  ncurses-compat protobuf-python
You must use Python 2.7 and unset JAVAC

In theory, yes. If you follow the instructions on the Wiki to build Lineage 16.0, the only extra step you would need to take is fetching and pulling the kernel source from my github, which I'll explain how to do below. You can use the lineage build you mentioned in your post (lineage-16.0-20200201-UNOFFICIAL-lake.zip) to extract the proprietary blobs needed for the vendor source (either from the zip itself of from a device running that build).

you'll need to move into the kernel source directory and fetch and pull my changes for lake by doing the following:
Code:
croot
NOTE: Just simply copy/paste the above code into the root of the lineage source tree (and press <enter>) AFTER successfully running breakfast lake

At this point, you'll be back at the root of the Lineage source tree and can continue with the Wiki instructions. Once the build is finished, you can flash in TWRP as usual.

Last edited:

blipk99

Mar 24, 2020
I can't argue with that. I also prefer Moto Cam myself, so I plan to address this either way [emoji106]

Hey, any luck getting it to work?

I noticed another strange bug, happening with either USB Tethering or Wireless Hotspot: I can ping and resolve hostnames fine, but it seems anything on port 80 is being blocked, nothing in the browser worked and tried wget and curl to no avail.

Always had issues with tethering on Lineage, especially the USB, but it just seems strange to me that I can ping but nothing else, perhaps it's something to do with the development build?

m0zz

Jan 13, 2020
having problem

hey iam still using this version because the 17.1 is not ready to use (for me, because of missing signature support)

anyway i love how stable it is but now i have the notification bug too, i dont recieve any phone calls or notifications about it.
just when i open the app, all battery savings are disabled it makes me insane

jmozmoz

Dec 17, 2011
I tryed to build lineageos-16.0 today as every month to include the latest security patches, but this time, it did not work anymore. I get the following error:
Code:
make[1]: Entering directory '/mnt/usb/lineageos/android/lineage/out/target/product/lake/obj/KERNEL_OBJ'
  GEN     ./Makefile
scripts/kconfig/conf  --silentoldconfig Kconfig
  CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  GEN     ./Makefile
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.h
  Using /mnt/usb/lineageos/android/lineage/kernel/motorola/msm8998 as source for kernel
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CHK     include/generated/timeconst.h
  CHK     include/generated/bounds.h
  CHK     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
  CALL    /mnt/usb/lineageos/android/lineage/kernel/motorola/msm8998/scripts/checksyscalls.sh
make[2]: 'include/generated/vdso-offsets.h' is up to date.
make[2]: 'include/generated/vdso32-offsets.h' is up to date.
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  GZIP    kernel/config_data.gz
  CHK     kernel/config_data.h
  DTC     arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom/sdm636-lake-base.dtb
FATAL ERROR: Unrecognized check name "unit_address_format"
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.lib:333: arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom/sdm636-lake-base.dtb] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/mnt/usb/lineageos/android/lineage/kernel/motorola/msm8998/scripts/Makefile.build:489: arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom] Error 2
make[1]: *** [arch/arm64/Makefile:156: dtbs] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/usb/lineageos/android/lineage/out/target/product/lake/obj/KERNEL_OBJ'

I saw, that on October 19th, a lot of new commits have been pushed to the kernel repository: https://github.com/Jleeblanch/kernel_motorola_sdm660/commits/lineage-16.0

Do I have to change something, to get this to compile again?

What are the new commits about?

Thank you again for your help.

Code:
croot

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
I tryed to build lineageos-16.0 today as every month to include the latest security patches, but this time, it did not work anymore. I get the following error:
Code:
make[1]: Entering directory '/mnt/usb/lineageos/android/lineage/out/target/product/lake/obj/KERNEL_OBJ'
  GEN     ./Makefile
scripts/kconfig/conf  --silentoldconfig Kconfig
  CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  GEN     ./Makefile
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.h
  Using /mnt/usb/lineageos/android/lineage/kernel/motorola/msm8998 as source for kernel
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CHK     include/generated/timeconst.h
  CHK     include/generated/bounds.h
  CHK     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
  CALL    /mnt/usb/lineageos/android/lineage/kernel/motorola/msm8998/scripts/checksyscalls.sh
make[2]: 'include/generated/vdso-offsets.h' is up to date.
make[2]: 'include/generated/vdso32-offsets.h' is up to date.
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  GZIP    kernel/config_data.gz
  CHK     kernel/config_data.h
  DTC     arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom/sdm636-lake-base.dtb
FATAL ERROR: Unrecognized check name "unit_address_format"
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.lib:333: arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom/sdm636-lake-base.dtb] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/mnt/usb/lineageos/android/lineage/kernel/motorola/msm8998/scripts/Makefile.build:489: arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom] Error 2
make[1]: *** [arch/arm64/Makefile:156: dtbs] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/usb/lineageos/android/lineage/out/target/product/lake/obj/KERNEL_OBJ'

I saw, that on October 19th, a lot of new commits have been pushed to the kernel repository: https://github.com/Jleeblanch/kernel_motorola_sdm660/commits/lineage-16.0

Do I have to change something, to get this to compile again?

What are the new commits about?

Thank you again for your help.

Lol yup, definitely my fault. You'll need to pick/pull changes from the halium-9.0 branch on my github Jleeblanch/android_device_motorola_lake. I updated in-kernel dtc (removes the need to rely on a prebuilt version) and updated the kernel modules, especially touchscreen modules so that we can build them as static modules (now no kernel modules exist in /vendor/lib/modules). These are all changes I've added to Lineage 17.1 already. I was working on Halium 9.0 (which is based on Pie/16.0) recently and update lineage 16.0 to use as a base rom for Halium GSI from Erfan.

The error you're seeing is a conflict between the prebuilt version and in-kernel version. If you give me a little bit, I'll push the needed changes to "lineage-16.0" branch on my github so you can build again. Of you're syncing device tree from LineageOS, you'll just need to pull the changes from my github to update your local tree. Easy peasy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    P6tVwPF.jpg

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (Pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

[size=+2]Introduction:[/size]

This is the unofficial Lineage OS thread for the Moto G7 Plus, codename lake.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

[size=+2]Downloads:[/size]

[size=+1]ROM[/size]
    [size=+1]Recovery[/size]
    [size=+1]GApps[/size]
    • OpenGApps || arm64 - nano version recommended
    [size=+2]Installation:[/size]
    • Download the ROM and GApps from the links above.
    • Boot the latest twrp.img (or reboot the bootloader and then to twrp if already installed).
    • IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL THE copy-partitions-AB.zip (to avoid bricking)
    • In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted.
    • Flash latest build of lineageos
    • Flash latest twrp-installer zip (to keep twrp installed, it'll flash to both slots)
    • Reboot and let ROM boot once (It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    • Reboot back to the bootloader and then recovery
    • In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted
    • Flash GApps (and Magisk if you want root) and Reboot
    • Profit :p
    [size=+2]Notes:[/size]
    • Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine, though is not supported.)

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage OS 16.0, ROM for the Moto G7 Plus

Contributors
    Jleeblanch, erfanoabdi
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Official Pie
    Based On: Lineage

Version Information

Created 2019-09-08
    Last Updated 2019-09-29
    LineageOS 16.0

Download -> lineage-16.0-20200116-UNOFFICIAL-lake.zip

Changes:
    -> SELinux Enforcing
    -> Security Patches thru Dec
    -> Blobs updated to PPWS29.98-111-9
    -> Audio changes

NOTES:
    -> This is a debugging build (eng) and if needed, adb should be available during boot. If you guys could please test audio and daily usage. This is the last hurdle before we can go official :)
    BUGS
    • The mic is muted (meaning the other person can't hear you) when using Speaker phone in Calls <- FIXED
    • Low in-call volume <- WIP
    • SELinux is Permissive Enforced
    Many thanks @Jleeblanch!

It's definitely faster & smoother than stock, and everything is working fine except for passing ctsProfile in safetynet as noted, also keep getting the SD card setup notification on every reboot, but very minor stuff for an initial release of the first ROM created for the G7 Plus. Camera works with no errors, there are several Moto gestures, advanced reboot & other useful customization, really a nice job! I don't currently have a SIM in it so can't speak to call quality & such.

Since July my device was stuck either in a damaged bootloader with fastboot commands not working (thus unable to flash any firmware) or an early version of TWRP without touch working, also couldn't boot to system so was basically dead in the water. ADB still worked in recovery however, and I recently found a 'adb reboot sideload' command that starts an ADB sideload session without needing any touch, then I was able to sideload twrp-installer-3.3.1-v6.0-lake.zip to get a functional TWRP again! The device could then boot to system again but it was still on 29.98.66-2 that I couldn't update either by OTA or with fastboot since commands still not working. Apparently I can install ROMs with no problems in TWRP.
    Not sure if anyone noticed, but I posted a new build earlier today (updated the Latest build in the OP ?

It was discovered that the touchscreen wasn't working in Android 10 based GSI's, so I've fixed at least that issue in the new update! However, there are still other issues that need resolving, so use at your own risk.