[ROM] [UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 13 |ASUS Memo Pad HD 7 (me173x) [MT8125]

Search This thread

filus

Apr 20, 2008
After having had several problems with the latest versions of magisk on this device, I have successfully tested the root by flashing via recovery of addonsu, the official root method of lineageos. By doing this in the developer menu you will be able to activate the root and manage permissions. Attached both the root and the unroot. I haven't tested the unroot but it should work too. If the rom developer wants, he can attach this alternative root method on the front page.

Attachments

• addonsu-remove-13.0-arm-signed.zip
    392.5 KB · Views: 20
  • addonsu-13.0-arm-signed.zip
    438.7 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: raby

filus

Apr 20, 2008
I wanted to know if other users have had problems with crashing or closing after opening with the latest updates of some apps. If so, what could be the cause? Example: Voice Aloud Reader and Youtube Vanced... In the case of Voice Aloud Reader if I manually install the apk it doesn't crash after opening it, if I install it from the play store it crashes after opening. By chance you should change the device name to build.prop to avoid problems with updates?

Last edited:

tonybot

Apr 3, 2022
Hi, great job. On my version with the LG additional kernel everything works except BLUETOOTH. It is visible and recognizes the devices, it pairs only in appearance but does not communicate. With the version "ASUS_ME173X_AOSP_20160929.zip" everything works, but once you switch to 12 or 13 the bluetooth does not work. I have tried the different tips already posted above to fix wifi problems without solving the problem. How can I solve. Sorry for my immature English.

juggled_balls

Jul 9, 2015
Hi all,
I've just tried to download the "Unlock_Bootloader+install_Recovery.zip" through the download links but the link that opens up says no mirrors found. Does anybody have the file they can pass on? thanks

tonybot

Apr 3, 2022
Hi, great job. On my version with the LG additional kernel everything works except BLUETOOTH. It is visible and recognizes the devices, it pairs only in appearance but does not communicate. With the version "ASUS_ME173X_AOSP_20160929.zip" everything works, but once you switch to 12 or 13 the bluetooth does not work. I have tried the different tips already posted above to fix wifi problems without solving the problem. How can I solve. Sorry for my immature English.
Rectification: the tablet does not communicate with mouse-like input devices. I've tried with different devices and it doesn't work with mice. For example: with my smartphone it communicates and exchanges data, but with a Trust or other brand bluetooth optical mouse, even if it recognizes it, it does not paring.
How can I fix it please?

rusanovd

May 31, 2021
Sofia
Hello & thanks to @superdragonpt for the efforts to prolong the usable life of this tablet. I have one question - the HW is already very dated and the CPU governor "hotplug" does not help with the responsiveness of the device. Is it possible to change the default to "performance" (or maybe "interactive")? Even if this will shorten the battery life.
I used the terminal in TWRP to change the governor in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/cpufreq/scaling_governor, but apparently Android resets it at boot - even with root and an app to set the governor Android defaults to "hotplug" unless the app is explicitly set to change it at boot...
I am planning to give the tab to a casual user and I really do not like the idea of a rooted device in their hands...

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
I wanted to know if other users have had problems with crashing or closing after opening with the latest updates of some apps. If so, what could be the cause? Example: Voice Aloud Reader and Youtube Vanced... In the case of Voice Aloud Reader if I manually install the apk it doesn't crash after opening it, if I install it from the play store it crashes after opening. By chance you should change the device name to build.prop to avoid problems with updates?

I've noticed this also... GAPPS on this tablet makes it extremely slow.
App updates have been increasing their memory footprints .

Wait for my next release, several issues caused by the low ram ( 1GB only) of this device have been greatly improved ;) ( but don't expect miracles ofc)

Does anyone have an issue with the device rebooting itself after you have shut it down?
The tablet does this without plugging it in.

Thank you
nope
Rectification: the tablet does not communicate with mouse-like input devices. I've tried with different devices and it doesn't work with mice. For example: with my smartphone it communicates and exchanges data, but with a Trust or other brand bluetooth optical mouse, even if it recognizes it, it does not paring.
How can I fix it please?
Well it does have an ancient BT chip, probably just not compatible with some recent devices, Currently i do not have bt mouse to test it out, works ok with my bt keyboard ...
Hello & thanks to @superdragonpt for the efforts to prolong the usable life of this tablet. I have one question - the HW is already very dated and the CPU governor "hotplug" does not help with the responsiveness of the device. Is it possible to change the default to "performance" (or maybe "interactive")? Even if this will shorten the battery life.
I used the terminal in TWRP to change the governor in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/cpufreq/scaling_governor, but apparently Android resets it at boot - even with root and an app to set the governor Android defaults to "hotplug" unless the app is explicitly set to change it at boot...
I am planning to give the tab to a casual user and I really do not like the idea of a rooted device in their hands...
Yeah you can use Kernel Adiutor app ( or similar app) to change CPU governor on-the-fly, yeah thats normal to default to hotplug at reboot, you could set "x" gov to be set at boot, but you do need to keep the app+root to do that.
Changing default gov to performance isn't an good idea, this is one of those matters where everybody haves their own opinion.
Hotplug can be very conservative indeed, i'll check some govs i've used on other MTK's to see if they can be usable here, i also don't like hotplug that much.
i did already worked a bit on sakuractive gov, for this device, had to do some fixs for it to build and be usable, but i just can't remember why i haven't merged the commit into my main branch... Need to re-check that

cheers

Last edited:

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
Hi all, new build is up ;)

Build 20220629

Kernel:

Security: Fix the following security issues:
  • PG SU daemon security fix
  • CVE-2017-1000365
  • CVE-2017-2618
  • CVE-2017-2671
  • CVE-2016-10208
  • CVE-2016-10208
  • CVE-2013-4312
  • CVE-2016-2550
  • CVE-2017-9074
  • CVE-2017-9075
  • CVE-2017-9076
  • CVE-2017-9077
  • CVE-2017-9242
  • LVT-2017-0002
  • CVE-2012-6703
  • CVE-2015-8944
  • CVE-2016-3857
  • CVE-2016-9555
  • CVE-2017-8890
  • ARM: spectre-v1
  • ARM: spectre-v2
  • ARM: Merge some bug fixs
imgsensors:
  • mt9m114_mipi_raw: Enable NightMode & Improve NightMode handling (better handling of Low light pictures)
  • gc0339_raw support added (CMOS front camera used in some HW revisions)
Memory management / Others:
  • Merge ZRAM from Kernel 3.10 version, and backport K 3.10 ZRAM fixs
  • Merge zsmalloc from Kernel 3.10 version, and backport K 3.10 ZRAM fixs
  • Add support for LZ4 decompression in the Linux Kernel
  • Other minor fixs

LineageOS source and device:
  • device: Added 512 MB Virtual SWAP Memory
  • Fix GPU PowerVR blobs crash, leading to random reboots & wakeup reboots
  • Disable OpenGL preloading with PowerVR drivers
  • SHIM: Add UI shim lib to fix some other random crashs
  • Remove max app limit
  • ART: Increase and fine tune the heap limit
  • Camera & nvram blobs fixs
  • Other minor fixs

Download links on first post as always

I Strongly recommend a clean flash

Cheers

Last edited:

Evg4oxw0lF

Sep 16, 2021
Good day. After installing magisk on a tablet with an LG screen, the tablet reboots cyclically. However, if you flash the kernel again, the tablet will boot again, but without root ... You know how to solve this problem?

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
I've been testing today, the latest magisk builds.
Tested every build on clean flash:
Builds v24.x and v25.x do NOT work on this device. The inclusion of vmbeta for latest android versions, broke compatibility for older Android versions ( at least for MediaTek)

Magisk v23 works fine, as always

Added this note to F.A.Q.

Cheers

Last edited:

raby

Oct 21, 2017

Build 20220629

Kernel:

• CVE-2017-1000365
  • CVE-2017-2618
  • CVE-2017-2671
  • CVE-2016-10208
  • CVE-2016-10208
  • CVE-2013-4312
  • CVE-2016-2550
  • CVE-2017-9074
  • CVE-2017-9075
  • CVE-2017-9076
  • CVE-2017-9077
  • CVE-2017-9242
  • LVT-2017-0002
  • CVE-2012-6703
  • CVE-2015-8944
  • CVE-2016-3857
  • CVE-2016-9555
  • CVE-2017-8890
imgsensors:
  • mt9m114_mipi_raw: Enable NightMode & Improve NightMode handling (better handling of Low light pictures)
  • Other minor fixs

• Remove max app limit
  • Other minor fixs

Download links on first post as always

I Strongly recommend a clean flash

Cheers
This man is more dedicated to keeping this ****ty old tablet alive and updated than I am to my career lmao
Seriously tho, thank you for your efforts, I've been using this tablet as a secondary monitor for years now, it's perfect for keeping discord open on the side :D

The only problem is that it runs out of battery and turns off from time to time, even tho it's constantly plugged in... Am I the only one facing this problem? Hopefully this latest build fixes that, I'll update you on the matter after I flash it.

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
This man is more dedicated to keeping this ****ty old tablet alive and updated than I am to my career lmao
Seriously tho, thank you for your efforts, I've been using this tablet as a secondary monitor for years now, it's perfect for keeping discord open on the side :D

The only problem is that it runs out of battery and turns off from time to time, even tho it's constantly plugged in... Am I the only one facing this problem? Hopefully this latest build fixes that, I'll update you on the matter after I flash it.

Turning off while it's plugged in?
Well i never faced that issue...

About keeping this tablet alive, well i can now say for sure, that this device is not going to die on an Marshmallow release hehe ;)

Reactions: tweakradje

Evg4oxw0lF

Sep 16, 2021
I'm sorry to bother you, but you haven't tested Bluetooth on this tablet. for some reason it does not work for me on the latest firmware version, but it worked properly on the previous one...

Reactions: superdragonpt

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
;)

I can now reveal what has been my main project in development for quite some time ...

Still in Alpha but already got some things working

J3cBKZE.png

vc6dDev.png

This has been extremely hard to get it to boot ...
I guess this very very old kernel 3.4.5 was never meant to reach this far haha

cheers

Reactions: tomrev and Trubbs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ;)

I can now reveal what has been my main project in development for quite some time ...

Still in Alpha but already got some things working

J3cBKZE.png

vc6dDev.png

This has been extremely hard to get it to boot ...
    I guess this very very old kernel 3.4.5 was never meant to reach this far haha

cheers
    Everyone is waiting for the android 7. Give time to superdragonpt.

Turning off while it's plugged in?
    Well i never faced that issue...

About keeping this tablet alive, well i can now say for sure, that this device is not going to die on an Marshmallow release hehe ;)
    I'm sorry to bother you, but you haven't tested Bluetooth on this tablet. for some reason it does not work for me on the latest firmware version, but it worked properly on the previous one...
    Build 20220718 bluetooth almost work for my tab. It could be paired with Logitech 480 keyboard and generic bluetooth mouse but after that it does not work, mouse could not be clicked or move cursor, keyboard could not type. While active bluetooth, wifi would be temporary unusable. Wifi works again by turn off and on

Probably due to being an ancient base kernel version (3.4) ...

There's no userpace driver for BT HID currently.
    I can Probably backport BT HID stuff to this kernel,like Many other stuff i already did.

Since im rebasing the new kernel for Nougat, there was a lot of stuff needed... i'll give a look at this.
    I have an idea of what it's missing...

Cheers
    Disclaimer:
    LineageOS (Lineage Android Distribution) members or anyone else on this website is not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.

How to Install:
    1- BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, All will be WIPED!
    2 - Unlock bootloader instructions here
    3 - Flash the new mandatory TWRP Recovery
    4 - Move Rom & Gapps (optional) into device storage
    5 - Full Wipes
    6- Flash Rom & Gapps (gapps are OPTIONAL)

for GAPPS:

Choose Gapps Package "ARM" > "6.0" > "Pico" or "Nano" visit OpenGAPPS

Working:

• Boots
    • Storages
    • Bluetooth
    • Wifi
    • GPS - GNSS
    • Audio
    • Charging
    • Offline Charging
    • Video decoding/ Playback (i.e.: Youtube) up to 720p
    • android marshmallow new features: Adoptable Storage / Multi Window / etc
    • DRM Widevine : For Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc
    • Sensor: magnetometer: akm8963
    • Front Camera: mt9m114_mipi_raw
    • Front camera: GC0339_RAW
    • etc ....

NOT Working:
    • Rear Camera: a5142_mipi_raw
    • Front Camera: GC0339_RAW (ME173X 8GB) Fixed on build 20220629
    • Sensors: accelerometer (autorotation)
    • You tell me

Special Thanks

• OMNI Rom
    • LineageOS
    • DerTeufel1980 & fire855 ( my Team mates from M.A.D)

GPL Compliance:

--> "asus_mm" branchs
    Changelogs

Build 20201221
    • First Release

Build 20210821

Kernel:
    • DCT / Power resolve more issues
    • LCM: nt35521_dsi_vdo: Add backlight enable ctrl function
    • Fix magnetometer sensor: akm8963
    • Battery: Corrections
    • Camera LENS AF (for the rear camera) fixed
    • Front Camera : mt9m114_mipi_raw ( ME173X 16GB Version) fixed
    • mmc: more handling fixs
    • msdc: more fixs
    • Touch Panel: GT927: Implement a proper suspend & resume
    • Some other small fixs.
    • LineageOS LiveWallpapers, Wallpapers are now included ( as per-user requests)
    • Gello browser removed, it's depricated and has security risks
    • Disable Live Display by default (not supported by this device)
    • Some device clean up
    • Fix some eGL crashs
    • Fix some core missing symbols
    • Added Front camera support ( Pictures )
    • Some other small fixs.

Build 20220629

Kernel:

• CVE-2017-1000365
    • CVE-2017-2618
    • CVE-2017-2671
    • CVE-2016-10208
    • CVE-2016-10208
    • CVE-2013-4312
    • CVE-2016-2550
    • CVE-2017-9074
    • CVE-2017-9075
    • CVE-2017-9076
    • CVE-2017-9077
    • CVE-2017-9242
    • LVT-2017-0002
    • CVE-2012-6703
    • CVE-2015-8944
    • CVE-2016-3857
    • CVE-2016-9555
    • CVE-2017-8890
    imgsensors:
    • Other minor fixs

• Remove max app limit
    • Other minor fixs

Build 20220718

Fixed Bluetooth, that got broken by mistaque on 20220629 release

Downloads

TWRP 3.1.1

Build 20220718
    If you have the second hardware Screen revision by LG (check FAQ), flash this
    kernel for the Build 20220718

Old Builds

Build 20220629
    kernel for the Build 20220629

Build 20201221
    If you have the second hardware Screen revision (check FAQ), flash this
    kernel for the Build 20201221

Build 20210821
    kernel for the Build 20210821

Build 20210821

Kernel:
    • DCT / Power resolve more issues
    • LCM: nt35521_dsi_vdo: Add backlight enable ctrl function
    • Fix magnetometer sensor: akm8963
    • Battery: Corrections
    • Camera LENS AF (for the rear camera) fixed
    • Front Camera : mt9m114_mipi_raw ( ME173X 16GB Version) fixed
    • mmc: more handling fixs
    • msdc: more fixs
    • Touch Panel: GT927: Implement a proper suspend & resume
    • Some other small fixs.
    • LineageOS LiveWallpapers, Wallpapers are now included ( as per-user requests)
    • Gello browser removed, it's depricated and has security risks
    • Disable Live Display by default (not supported by this device)
    • Some device clean up
    • Fix some eGL crashs
    • Fix some core missing symbols
    • Added Front camera support ( Pictures )
    • Some other small fixs.

Build 20210821

kernel for the Build 20210821

Cheers ;)
    FAQ

Small FAQ:

Q: How can i Unlock the Bootloader?
    A:
    Instructions for Unlocking the Bootloader can be found here

Q: After locking the screen, the screen is all black, and/or flickering and I'm forced to reboot, how can I fix this?
    A:
    If you have this issue, then your device uses the second screen/lcm hardware revision
    ( the lgld070wx3_dsi_vdo ), please use the second kernel.zip for this variant, it'll be added an second kernel . zip for people with this variant, on the download section with the ROM release

Q: how to flash this second kernel for the new hardware variant ?
    A:
    After flashing the ROM, flash the second kernel afterwards

Q: Where are the Developer Options?
    A:
    Go to Settings>About Tablet, and tap 7 times on the Build Number

Q: Where is the multi-window mode?
    A:
    in the developer options, you can enable it there

Q: How can i root this rom?
    A:
    you can use Magisk , or SuperSU

Magisk: v.23
    SuperSu v2.82

note: Magisk builds v24.x and v25.x do NOT work.

Q: Do i really need to update recovery?
    A:
    YES

Q: I can't flash this Rom on recovery, why?
    A:
    You need to update your recovery to TWRP

Q: how to work with twrp?
    A:
    in the first time TWRP boots, it'll ask if you want to allow modifications, slide to YES

Q: how to wipe and flash in twrp?
    A:
    Go "mount" and mount "system"
    then go "wipe" > and wipe dalvik / cache / data / System

Q: How can i flash the new recovery?
    A:
    If you already have an custom recovery installed:

Download the new TWRP recovery zip
    flash the new recovery
    reboot to recovery again, TWRP should be now installed

If you don't have any custom recovery installed:
    - You can extract the "recovery.img" from the .zip
    - Open an terminal
    - Boot to fastboot mode, and type:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

then reboot:

Code:
    fastboot reboot

Q: I Love your work, how can i thank you?
    A:
    You can press the "Thanks" button, and if you wish, you can pay me a beer

Build 20220629

Kernel:

• CVE-2017-1000365
    • CVE-2017-2618
    • CVE-2017-2671
    • CVE-2016-10208
    • CVE-2016-10208
    • CVE-2013-4312
    • CVE-2016-2550
    • CVE-2017-9074
    • CVE-2017-9075
    • CVE-2017-9076
    • CVE-2017-9077
    • CVE-2017-9242
    • LVT-2017-0002
    • CVE-2012-6703
    • CVE-2015-8944
    • CVE-2016-3857
    • CVE-2016-9555
    • CVE-2017-8890
    imgsensors:
    • Other minor fixs

• Remove max app limit