[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies for the Google Pixel (marlin/sailfish)

Search This thread

invisiblek

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Minnesota
www.invisiblek.org
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7.1 (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
 */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Unofficial LineageOS Builds
Pixel XL (marlin): https://updater.invisiblek.org/marlin
Pixel (sailfish): https://updater.invisiblek.org/sailfish

Google apps
Google apps (opengapps nano) are baked in to these builds. This is due to the A/B partition layout and complications backing up/restoring gapps between builds. This is not ideal, and is the major road block to getting this device in to official status with Lineage. I also include the Google camera app rather than Camera2 or Snap since it works much better.

Source
While I update the official LineageOS trees with completely usable source, these builds include a few more experimental things than what I would include in official Lineage builds, pending that ever happens. The device and kernel repos that these builds are based off are from my github.

Installation
The easiest way to install LineageOS is to load up twrp (see twrp thread on how to do that) and flash the zip from above for your pixel variant (marlin/sailfish). After that, the built-in updater app should handle future updates via A/B updates within android. Beware this feature is still a work in progress and can be broken at any time as well. If for whatever reason the install fails through the updater app, loading up twrp again and flashing a newer zip is perfectly acceptable.

The LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies for the Google Pixel (marlin/sailfish), ROM for the Google Pixel XL

Contributors
invisiblek
Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat

Version Information

Created 2017-05-05
Last Updated 2017-05-05

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6924864

Glad to see this finally getting an XDA thread so it gets more awareness. I only knew this existed prior due to the questions and answers thread.

TheNewNEXUS

Jan 16, 2014
Elkhorn
I know OP says it comes with nano gapps. But does that mean that it has all the essential pixel gapps. I can't find myself using the also ones. I wish there was a flashable stock gapps package

Reactions: pcriz

TheNewNEXUS

Jan 16, 2014
Elkhorn
You can't flash beans full gapps? Actually it will probably just have duplicates since gapps are already installed
That is correct. However, the there are still those aosp apps that don't hold a candle to the Google alternatives. I am super used to flashing the stock Google package on all my phones. I guess I will just stay on stock May Factory Image until I find one with all pixel features. Lineage OS is one of the most stable ROMs that I have came across.

invisiblek

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Minnesota
www.invisiblek.org
That is correct. However, the there are still those aosp apps that don't hold a candle to the Google alternatives. I am super used to flashing the stock Google package on all my phones. I guess I will just stay on stock May Factory Image until I find one with all pixel features. Lineage OS is one of the most stable ROMs that I have came across.

What apps are you looking for that can't just be downloaded from the play store? Any of the AOSP ones can be disabled, so you never see them (yea a bit of a pain but you only have to do it once per app that you replace from the play store). For instance, I install google's calendar app and disable the AOSP one. You can do the same with any other app as far as I know.

TheNewNEXUS

Jan 16, 2014
Elkhorn
What apps are you looking for that can't just be downloaded from the play store? Any of the AOSP ones can be disabled, so you never see them (yea a bit of a pain but you only have to do it once per app that you replace from the play store). For instance, I install google's calendar app and disable the AOSP one. You can do the same with any other app as far as I know.
All apps are on the Play Store. I will end up disabling them I guess

dmb219

Feb 25, 2012
Pennsylvania

That's what I do. Then things stay put when you flash an update. If you delete the app it will come back when you flash an update.

hobbified

Apr 13, 2011
Cool beans and good to see you again invis (I've also had tenderloin, d2vzw and vs985 so you've kind of been following me around). How's the general status of the build? Any known breakages?

And btw, the changelog links on the download page don't go anywhere.

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So this is the May O build. It's been said all over the forums but just to nip it in the bud here, don't go trying to flash a different kernel that isn't signed or use Chainfire's zip to sign the kernel, otherwise you'll get stuck in a boot loop. The May bootloader update made it so it won't boot with an unsigned boot image.
@invisblek Great to see you here I've always been a big fan of your work unfortunately I haven't had a device for several years where you were making ROMs for. I'm generally not a fan of lineage but will give this a try just because you built it.

I noticed in the kernels git that you have WALT enabled across the board, but the official spec is to use PELT with EAS - new for rev 1.2. did you have a reason for choosing Walt? It isn't a big deal anyway, assuming the properties are exposed users can use ex kernel manager to turn Wall off and turn Pelt on.

Also 8 branches, 6 active you've been busy! I take it the default 14.1 branch is the kernel used in this ROM? I see all sorts of new stuff across your code and am very thankful you've came over to pixel development.

A side note in regards to build to Verizon users:. I flash the modem and radio from the L build as its May's Verizon only and I don't nearly have as many problems with signal retention. It didn't completely fix the problem but it's definitely been improved. and when I say retention I mean I'll be at the same location and my pixel will suddenly lose signal completely for a random period of time and then go back to having a signal. This used to occur very often the phone would be intolerable without Wi-Fi calling but the L build which specifies it's Verizon only must have had some changes in it to improve this.

Looking forward to trying your work. Thanks for your time and effort!

admiralspeedy

Dec 22, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
I don't use either so it doesn't matter to me, but I noticed that LiveDisplay and Color Calibration do not work at all. Neither change the screen color when you adjust them. I'm on the May 5th build right now.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
@invisiblek just a heads up. I flashed today's build and Google Camera video recording at 30FPS crashes. "Camera error".
I've posted the logcat before, let me know if you still need one. :)

It was a full wipe including internal SD, just FYI.
I didn't install any apps or superuser. I booted up for first time and immediately tested Google Camera.

Reactions: jnclocker

admiralspeedy

Dec 22, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
@invisiblek just a heads up. I flashed today's build and Google Camera video recording at 30FPS crashes. "Camera error".
I've posted the logcat before, let me know if you still need one. :)

It was a full wipe including internal SD, just FYI.
I didn't install any apps or superuser. I booted up for first time and immediately tested Google Camera.

He's already aware of it and I believe he already pushed the fix for it, I just don't think it's been merged. It's something to do with ffmpeg.

Reactions: jnclocker and mlin

hobbified

Apr 13, 2011
Been running or a few days now, everything is good except that the updater doesn't work. It detects updates, clicking the Download button goes to Downloading state, then Downloaded, and the Install button shows up; clicking Install goes to Installing state for a little while then back to Downloaded, and clicking Install again gives a message "an update is already in progress", and the update never completes.

admiralspeedy

Dec 22, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
I'm interested in doing my own builds for my Pixel XL, for some stuff I want to test but I'm wondering if you can tell me which SafetyNet patch you're including and what you're including to enable the blue Pixel theme and Pixel navbar.

Namelesswonder

Jan 26, 2014
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So, I've been running the ROM for over 3 days now and I've got to say that it has been great so far. Currently using 20170508 right now, and it's all good.
Have disabled all the AOSP apps and have installed all the Google apps from the Play Store to replace them. Everything is almost the way it is on stock.
Had to install the live data wallpapers, and install the Pixel launcher as a system app to get the Now feed integration, but so far it's been like stock but with all the extra features I've wanted. Even installed the AptX codecs, and my phone still passes SafetyNet.

So far the only downsides I've seen are that Google Camera crashes upon taking a second video, haven't gotten WiFi assistant to work yet, and my phone gets a bit toasty playing music but I'm pretty sure that it is GPM being stupid again and not the ROM. But overall it has been an excellent experience.

Been running or a few days now, everything is good except that the updater doesn't work. It detects updates, clicking the Download button goes to Downloading state, then Downloaded, and the Install button shows up; clicking Install goes to Installing state for a little while then back to Downloaded, and clicking Install again gives a message "an update is already in progress", and the update never completes.

The updater has worked just fine for me, taking me from 20170506 to 07 without TWRP installed and from 07 to 08 when I had TWRP installed. Don't if 08 to 09 is broken right now so I need to test.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
He's already aware of it and I believe he already pushed the fix for it, I just don't think it's been merged. It's something to do with ffmpeg.

Yes, I was aware of that "fix". And it's already merged.
But it does not work.
Google Camera 30fps video still crashes.
I was just letting him know the fix he was told about does not work.
The fix being to remove FFMPEG from /system/etc/media_codecs.

I even tried deleting the media_FFMPG file and duplicating at /system_root/etc/.

Reactions: jnclocker and mlin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7.1 (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Unofficial LineageOS Builds
    Pixel XL (marlin): https://updater.invisiblek.org/marlin
    Pixel (sailfish): https://updater.invisiblek.org/sailfish

Google apps
    Google apps (opengapps nano) are baked in to these builds. This is due to the A/B partition layout and complications backing up/restoring gapps between builds. This is not ideal, and is the major road block to getting this device in to official status with Lineage. I also include the Google camera app rather than Camera2 or Snap since it works much better.

Source
    While I update the official LineageOS trees with completely usable source, these builds include a few more experimental things than what I would include in official Lineage builds, pending that ever happens. The device and kernel repos that these builds are based off are from my github.

Installation
    The easiest way to install LineageOS is to load up twrp (see twrp thread on how to do that) and flash the zip from above for your pixel variant (marlin/sailfish). After that, the built-in updater app should handle future updates via A/B updates within android. Beware this feature is still a work in progress and can be broken at any time as well. If for whatever reason the install fails through the updater app, loading up twrp again and flashing a newer zip is perfectly acceptable.

The LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies for the Google Pixel (marlin/sailfish), ROM for the Google Pixel XL

Contributors
    invisiblek
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat

Version Information

Created 2017-05-05
    Last Updated 2017-05-05
    I just uploaded a marlin build (sailfish on the way shortly) that should address the bluetooth issues that have been going on lately. It's using a completely AOSP-based bluetooth stack rather than the caf one in mainline Lineage which hasn't turned out to be too good on the pixel.

I doubt I'll be uploading any more builds for N for either of these (barring any major bugs being found).

EDIT: sailfish build is up
    I'm seeing some radio issues with my Verizon Google Pixel. What's the proper way to flash-all before flashing this ROM? Use the files from NHG47Q but the vendor.img from NJH47F?

Always use everything from the AOSP version that matches the fingerprint found here: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_google_marlin/blob/cm-14.1/lineage.mk#L22
    Except boot, recovery and system.

On another note: I'll be rolling another build relatively soon. Verity was on for that last build (whoops, I had re-synced and was using the Lineage kernel branch instead of my personal one). I also want to include the patches for BlueBorne, so I'll probably wait until the 7.1.2 Sept security bulletin tags drop. In fact, I'll probably upload a build monthly for the security releases, at least until I make the jump to O.
    Why doesn't the google pixel get an official version of lineage os ?
    The main reason is because invisiblek is a lazy piece of sh!t and hasn't got around to finishing sepolicy for backuptool for A/B. Official lineage cannot ship with gapps like these builds do, so when you install a separate gapps package, we need a way to retain it between rom updates. That's currently not possible on A/B.

Has anyone managed to build LineageOS 15 for the pixel/pixel XL yet?
    My lineage-15.0 repos for device/kernel/vendor should get you a build, but I have no idea if it boots or if anything is broken. Feel free to test it and let me know.
    Just a heads up everyone, my Pixel (Verizon-branded) had its wifi chip go out and I had to warranty it. Naturally they sent me an updated Verizon-branded Pixel (no bootloader unlock for it), so I'm out of the game for the foreseeable future. :(