[ROM] [UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.1 for Shield Tablet OMX | Camera working

Search This thread

Snah001

Jun 3, 2006
Netherlands
Ok thats interesting i never had a similar problem like this the only stability issue i have so far is with the crashing video playback on websites which sometimes lead to a softreboot (lineage logo).

In any case you need to do a full wipe with twrp (use twrp 9.5.0_9-0) that we can find out if the problem persists on the new rom

Does any else have similar problems ?
Ok, I wiped my device and flashed the 07/19 build without any problem.
Unfortunately the spontaneous rebooting (soft reboot because it is running again very quickly) is still occurring no matter what app I am using at that moment.
When not used it is not rebooting by itself and the drain during screen off is about 0,7%/hour so that is very good.
During use it is fluent and working normally although it shows that it is not the fastest chipset anymore but for normal use (not gaming) it is very usable.
When the "rebooting" issue could be solved it could be a very good replacement of the original latest Nvidia Rom version.

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Xiaomi Mi Pad
Ok, I wiped my device and flashed the 07/19 build without any problem.
Unfortunately the spontaneous rebooting (soft reboot because it is running again very quickly) is still occurring no matter what app I am using at that moment.
When not used it is not rebooting by itself and the drain during screen off is about 0,7%/hour so that is very good.
During use it is fluent and working normally although it shows that it is not the fastest chipset anymore but for normal use (not gaming) it is very usable.
When the "rebooting" issue could be solved it could be a very good replacement of the original latest Nvidia Rom version.
Ok thanks again for the feedback.
I just have to admit that i dont facing random reboot issues on any of my 3 tablets with this rom installed and those are 2 LTE and 1 K1 devices.
For this reasons i need more informations like how much and which apps you have installed.

I also was testing out this weekend what impact hwc2on1 has to the performance and stability of this tablet as it was half way activated on my device settings. I activated it the right way and added the memory leak patch according to here:

I tested it with an without and i came to the conclusions that the device runs smoother and more stable without it so its deactivated in my next build like on the last official builds from LOS.

Unfortunatly it didnt change anything on that green artifacts issue 🙄
But i found out i have them just with the chrome browser. On firefox the same videos need a lot longer to start but they run after that without any issues 99% of the time.
That means it needs a lot more stress that the artifacts appears and that they lead to a softreboot. But i was watching videos for much longer than 15 mins and didnt had any softreboots then. Tonight i try to play around with the video related settings on chrome itself you can found here : chrome://flags/

So for the moment i recommend to watch video content on websites with firefox if you have any issues :)

Last edited:

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Xiaomi Mi Pad
After some testing yesterday i can say the artifact issue only appears on chrome and on that jelly browser which seems also chrome based. I also didnt found any setting on that Flags Settings in chrome that made this issues go away apart from :

GPU rasterization - Enabled

Zero-copy rasterizer - Enabled

Which eased the issues just a bit but that could also be placebo effect 😅

But for the moment the Workaround is still to use a different browser like Firefox or Opera which has a neat Ad Blocker integrated ;)

But i keep working on that issues

xdaggg

Feb 29, 2020
I too get soft reboots, especially when juggling many memory hungry apps and when resuming after the tablet has been unused for a few hours, but given the limited amount of RAM we have to work with most roms will do it. Appreciate the tip on using Firefox to play videos without artifacting :) Eagerly awaiting the next build

Reactions: Scavenger87

Snah001

Jun 3, 2006
Netherlands
Same here again with latest build.
Sometimes when I pick it up it is in recovery mode without doing anything.
But when it works it works just fine and smooth.

lxkarthi

May 27, 2012
Chennai
I installed following files after formatting data, and wipe cache and system,
lineage-15.1-20210617-UNOFFICIAL-shieldtablet.zip.zip
open_gapps-arm-8.1-pico-20210805.zip

But the Browser crashes, Google Meet crashes,
Google chrome crashes And reboots.

Usually crashes happen when switching to other windows and come back to the app (Google Meet, chrome, Browser).

Is there a solution for these crashes?

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Xiaomi Mi Pad

Usually crashes happen when switching to other windows and come back to the app (Google Meet, chrome, Browser).

Hi

Sounds to me its running out of memory as chrome, google meet and a another browser app will take a lot of memory and the device isn't able to handle all of this with just 2GB of Ram even i set the Low Memory Killer to very low settings before it starts to kill apps.
Maybe its helping when you root your device and adjust the LMK Settings with a App like Smart Pack-Kernel Manager or similar

I also think its time to keep you updated on the work i do to this Rom at the moment since the new Security Bulletin is around the corner.

Right now i still looking for a solution to fix this artifacts issues that this device facing on ROMs above Android 7.0 .
After i tried to optimize the Memory Management and deleted stuff like hwc2on1 (which leads still to performance cuts even they fixed a memory leak there) i still get those artifacts on website based video-streaming mostly in chrome.

So i was going a other route with this problem and started working on the .so files that located at the vendor folder. I did this for the reason because i saw some difference in size on those files we found at the vendor files from @Steel01 and the last OEM release of Nvidia which was the version 5.4.

A short explanation what those files are: ( I hope my explanation is correct otherwise don't hesitate to correct me :) )

.SO Files are Shared Libraries that located in the "lib" folders of the vendor files. those Files are containing the code how the device handles the HW acceleration and video playback,sound,... and many things more. Those files are compiled that means its not possible to edit them with reasonable effort ( would need reverse-engineering and recompiling after editing).

But what i can do is to change them out from newer versions of this files from the above mentioned OEM 5.4 ROM or even from the Shield TV Roms which i tried with 7.2.3 because its the last Android 8.1 ROM before the Upgrade to Android 9.

First i tried to update every file with the same name to a newer version which leads to the device not even starting up after install. When i just changed the files from the folders nvmm and media the device started up but the overall performance was much worse and the video-playback was only smooth at max 720p which is strange as it even happens with the Files from 5.4.

But it seems i´m on the right track there and maybe i need to delete and add more files because those files might correlated to each other.
This need a lot of work and testing so that means that this changes are not included in my next update when the security bulletin is merged maybe not even in the next after this.

But i'm eager if i can fix the artifact issues with this and maybe even more.

Like i mentioned above i might interpret some things wrong and if someone of you knows more about those files and its function i´m glad to learn more about :)

Have a nice Sunday everyone ;)

Last edited:

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Xiaomi Mi Pad
Hi Everyone

The new Build is ready and up.

You find it here : August Build Update

I did go again over that LMK Settings as i saw on the earlier Builds the issue with those artifacts are way less common and is kinda direct related to those Parameters is set maybe a bit too less aggressive and the video-streams especially on chrome was running out of memory and did start with those issues instead of just crashing. This way it was really hard to find out for me until i had the tablet of my sister in house for updating where i found out about that.
The Issues should now appear less common and i had not even one framework reboot so far with my type of usage which is mostly Browsing and Youtube.
Also Clash of Clans is still running and still needs to be started twice after a first crash sometimes.

I would say its a good example again that its a bit of a ride on the razorblade with this lmk parameters as 2GB is really not much for today's standart and you might have to adjust your LMK Settings yourself from now on to fit your needs and user profile.

And i did not forget about the .so Files i still looking for the best working ones and plan to clean up the vendor files a bit to get the max out of this tablet for you guys ;)

filjusz

Hi Everyone

I did go again over that LMK Settings as i saw on the earlier Builds the issue with those artifacts are way less common and is kinda direct related to those Parameters is set maybe a bit too less aggressive and the video-streams especially on chrome was running out of memory and did start with those issues instead of just crashing. This way it was really hard to find out for me until i had the tablet of my sister in house for updating where i found out about that.
The Issues should now appear less common and i had not even one framework reboot so far with my type of usage which is mostly Browsing and Youtube.
Also Clash of Clans is still running and still needs to be started twice after a first crash sometimes.

I would say its a good example again that its a bit of a ride on the razorblade with this lmk parameters as 2GB is really not much for today's standart and you might have to adjust your LMK Settings yourself from now on to fit your needs and user profile.

And i did not forget about the .so Files i still looking for the best working ones and plan to clean up the vendor files a bit to get the max out of this tablet for you guys ;)
Can you share your LMK settings so i can put them into official lineage build (7.1)

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Xiaomi Mi Pad

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210811-213743_SmartPack-Kernel_Manager.png
    Screenshot_20210811-213743_SmartPack-Kernel_Manager.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 97

Xenomorph613

Nov 25, 2015
Это проблема самой игры, или прошивки? Во многих играх такие проблемы: Half-Life 2, Doom 3 BFG, Grand Theft Auto III / VC / SA / CTW / LCS, Contrast и т.п.
В общем, в плане игр прошивка крайне не стабильная (как минимум которая за Август). Те же Grant Theft Auto я проверял и в модифицированые версии, и оригинальные и старые и свежие на своих остальных аппаратах (Nexus 5 8.1.0(Los), Pixel 2 XL 11, Pixel 4 12, Redmi 3S 8.1.0(PE)) и там все хорошо работает, без вылетов и ругательств на наличие, отсутствие или кривых библиотек.
Кстати, я по сути новичок на форуме, можете подсказать, есть ли подобие Pixel Expirience(или на базе Pixel прошивки) прошивки под SHIELD Tablet?

Is this a problem with the game itself, or with the firmware? Many games have such problems: Half-Life 2, Doom 3 BFG, Grand Theft Auto III / VC / SA / CTW / LCS, Contrast, etc.
In general, in terms of games, the firmware is extremely unstable (at least which is for August). I checked the same Grant Theft Auto in modified versions, both original and old and fresh on my other devices (Nexus 5 8.1.0 (Los), Pixel 2 XL 11, Pixel 4 12, Redmi 3S 8.1.0 (PE)) and everything works well there, without crashes and curses for the presence, absence or curves of libraries.
By the way, I'm essentially a newbie on the forum, can you tell me if there is a similarity of Pixel Expirience (or based on Pixel firmware) firmware for SHIELD Tablet?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210818-181353_HL2_EP1.png
    Screenshot_20210818-181353_HL2_EP1.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Xiaomi Mi Pad
Это проблема самой игры, или прошивки? Во многих играх такие проблемы: Half-Life 2, Doom 3 BFG, Grand Theft Auto III / VC / SA / CTW / LCS, Contrast и т.п.
В общем, в плане игр прошивка крайне не стабильная (как минимум которая за Август). Те же Grant Theft Auto я проверял и в модифицированые версии, и оригинальные и старые и свежие на своих остальных аппаратах (Nexus 5 8.1.0(Los), Pixel 2 XL 11, Pixel 4 12, Redmi 3S 8.1.0(PE)) и там все хорошо работает, без вылетов и ругательств на наличие, отсутствие или кривых библиотек.
Кстати, я по сути новичок на форуме, можете подсказать, есть ли подобие Pixel Expirience(или на базе Pixel прошивки) прошивки под SHIELD Tablet?

Is this a problem with the game itself, or with the firmware? Many games have such problems: Half-Life 2, Doom 3 BFG, Grand Theft Auto III / VC / SA / CTW / LCS, Contrast, etc.
In general, in terms of games, the firmware is extremely unstable (at least which is for August). I checked the same Grant Theft Auto in modified versions, both original and old and fresh on my other devices (Nexus 5 8.1.0 (Los), Pixel 2 XL 11, Pixel 4 12, Redmi 3S 8.1.0 (PE)) and everything works well there, without crashes and curses for the presence, absence or curves of libraries.
By the way, I'm essentially a newbie on the forum, can you tell me if there is a similarity of Pixel Expirience (or based on Pixel firmware) firmware for SHIELD Tablet?
Hi

About the first Problem with the Games i checked those .so Files (libmain.so,libSDL2.so) the Error showed and none of them is part of the OEM Rom that means for me they must come with the Game itself. My best guess at the moment is that they need stuff like the Framework Enhancements which this Rom doesn't have and this seems also the to be the Reason why the Nvidia Games App doesn't work right.

On LineageOS 16.0 they implemented those Framework Enhancements again as you can see here :

add nvidia profile manager

Add nvcpl hook interfaces

I try to "retro-fit" those patches into this Build the next days but until then you might could try those games with the last lineage16.0 build you can find here : Oddsolutions - Shieldtablet .

For the other Games what does "extremely unstable" mean ?

Do they crash right at start or after some time of playing ?
Do they work right on the OEM Rom from Nvidia ?

I guess it has maybe something to do with the LowMemoryKiller Parameters again and you should try to change those Parameters first (you need a Rootet Device) to the OEM's ones i added with a Screenshot below this Thread.

A little reminder to everyone that wants me to fix bugs with specific Apps or Games:

Check first if those Bugs doesn't appear on the OEM Rom or the Rom you coming from as Apps and especially Games does starting to need more space and memory over time of development.
So if a Game or App does work once on a Device doesn't mean this lasts forever especially when you just have 2GB of RAM :)

Other than that i also need the most amount of informations like Logfiles or Screenshots with specific Error Messages because i also still learning how things working together.

But i glad to hear more about those various errors from you guys to improve this Build with every Release.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210821-115207.png
    Screenshot_20210821-115207.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: gasgiver

Xenomorph613

Nov 25, 2015
I'll write perhaps the experience of using this firmware (which is currently for August 2021) on SHIELD Tablet 32gb

I'll start right away with what idea the tablet was created with. Games:
I will describe it in general terms, good, but not very good. Some games may require some kind of library, such as Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 ep.1, Half-Life 2 ep.2 and Portal.
But games like Borderlands 2, Borderlands Pre-Siquel, Grand Theft Auto (VC, SA, III, LCS, CTW), World of Tanks Blitz, Super Meat Boy, Max Payne, Trine 2, Talos Principle, Contrast work great, very pleasant response, very good performance, but also very good heating and fast battery discharge) Bully, by the way, the same works, but at medium graphics settings, at high it slows down very much (
The EPSXE emulator works without question. Most likely PPSSPP and other emulators will work the same without problems, I honestly did not have time to check it yet)
But Doom 3 BFG Edition crashes with an error almost immediately, ARK Survival Evolve at startup gives a loading screen and almost immediately a black screen and it is not clear that the tablet is still working or has already turned off / restarted.

Multimedia
Usually I usually listen to music in VKontakte, I can also watch movies there sometimes, watch videos on Youtube (Vanced) and sometimes watch TV shows and movies through Chrome. There are no problems with music (although I would like to have a more powerful sound), but with video there are often problems, and specifically video artifacts, apparently OMX works, but not stable)
Screenshot_20210824-231944_YouTube_Vanced.png
I don't really use the camera, I won't say the same about autonomy, I'm still waiting for normal battery.
I also installed some Google applications in GO versions (Gmail Go, Maps Go, Galerey Go, Google Go, etc.), it seems like applications are web versions of full-fledged applications, take up less space, require less power and, in principle, work well. (it would be a shame that Chrome Go would be there, otherwise this one is eating resources just unmeasuredly, it always has little RAM xD)
Visually, I accelerated the system by setting the animation to 0.5 for all three parameters in the developers menu, using Nova as a launcher.
The system as a whole works very quickly, and if you set the animations to 0.5, then it's generally a fairy tale, but the stability leaves much to be desired, the application can start the current from the 4th time, before that it crashes, with various errors, or it can start and work right the first time.
In general, in some moments the firmware is very good, and in some it is not very good.
I can't say anything about autonomy, there are no normal batteries (

Reactions: dennisthemenace85

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Xiaomi Mi Pad
Hi Guys

After some longer waiting for the September Bulleting getting merged to the 15.1 sourcefiles and having to reinstall my whole Build Machine that refused to work for me anymore i was finally able to create a new build.
I release this one as a Nightly for the reason its really late this time with having the october bulleting just around the corner (hopefully) and because i had to fully reinstall the OS from my Build Machine i lost my Build Signature which i try to recover for my next Build.

You can find it here : September Build - Nightly

I'll write perhaps the experience of using this firmware (which is currently for August 2021) on SHIELD Tablet 32gb

I'll start right away with what idea the tablet was created with. Games:
I will describe it in general terms, good, but not very good. Some games may require some kind of library, such as Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 ep.1, Half-Life 2 ep.2 and Portal.
But games like Borderlands 2, Borderlands Pre-Siquel, Grand Theft Auto (VC, SA, III, LCS, CTW), World of Tanks Blitz, Super Meat Boy, Max Payne, Trine 2, Talos Principle, Contrast work great, very pleasant response, very good performance, but also very good heating and fast battery discharge) Bully, by the way, the same works, but at medium graphics settings, at high it slows down very much (
The EPSXE emulator works without question. Most likely PPSSPP and other emulators will work the same without problems, I honestly did not have time to check it yet)
But Doom 3 BFG Edition crashes with an error almost immediately, ARK Survival Evolve at startup gives a loading screen and almost immediately a black screen and it is not clear that the tablet is still working or has already turned off / restarted.

Multimedia
Usually I usually listen to music in VKontakte, I can also watch movies there sometimes, watch videos on Youtube (Vanced) and sometimes watch TV shows and movies through Chrome. There are no problems with music (although I would like to have a more powerful sound), but with video there are often problems, and specifically video artifacts, apparently OMX works, but not stable)
I don't really use the camera, I won't say the same about autonomy, I'm still waiting for normal battery.
I also installed some Google applications in GO versions (Gmail Go, Maps Go, Galerey Go, Google Go, etc.), it seems like applications are web versions of full-fledged applications, take up less space, require less power and, in principle, work well. (it would be a shame that Chrome Go would be there, otherwise this one is eating resources just unmeasuredly, it always has little RAM xD)
Visually, I accelerated the system by setting the animation to 0.5 for all three parameters in the developers menu, using Nova as a launcher.
The system as a whole works very quickly, and if you set the animations to 0.5, then it's generally a fairy tale, but the stability leaves much to be desired, the application can start the current from the 4th time, before that it crashes, with various errors, or it can start and work right the first time.
In general, in some moments the firmware is very good, and in some it is not very good.
I can't say anything about autonomy, there are no normal batteries (

Thanks again for the detailed Review of this Rom.

As i mentioned before some Games are direct related to the Shield Devices and need some specified libaries which need to be added to this Rom. But for this i really need detailed Errorlogs and even then its not sure i can fix those issues due possible incompatibilities of those libaries with newer android versions than nougat (7.0) but if you send me those logs i can give it a try.

A quit similar problems seems to be the artifact issues with video-playback on those devices. The old oem nougat libaries arent fully compatible with everything newer than nougat. With the changes on the LMK Settings i was able to ease those issues on most apps apart from chrome but it didnt fixed the main issue. For the moment a good workaround is to use a browser like firefox or opera which isnt chromium based because they much less affected by this issue.

pierg75

I don't know if it's my tablet or what else, but when I try to install the latest builds with new-ish opengapps, I just enter a loop during setup.
This only way to use it for now is to rely on other stores. Is there any other alternative gapps what works well in this rom (microg doesn't seem to work)?

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Xiaomi Mi Pad
I don't know if it's my tablet or what else, but when I try to install the latest builds with new-ish opengapps, I just enter a loop during setup.
This only way to use it for now is to rely on other stores. Is there any other alternative gapps what works well in this rom (microg doesn't seem to work)?

Hi

I tested the Rom with the opengapps pico version from 09/25/21 and it worked as suspected. this package contains the bare minimum of google services including playstore

greggmendel

Dec 31, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
When I first tried a dirty flash of the latest, my lte-us ShieldTab would only boot to recovery. But after wiping cache, dalvik, and system, then flashing the Rom and opengapps, it is working better than ever.

Still have some spurious system reboots, but fortunately they are system only ( not bootloader cold boots), and are therefore pretty quick.

pierg75

When I first tried a dirty flash of the latest, my lte-us ShieldTab would only boot to recovery. But after wiping cache, dalvik, and system, then flashing the Rom and opengapps, it is working better than ever.

Still have some spurious system reboots, but fortunately they are system only ( not bootloader cold boots), and are therefore pretty quick.
I got it working only by using the pico gapps. I tried to clean everything, reformatting all partitions and reinstalling the recovery, nothing helped.

Snah001

Jun 3, 2006
Netherlands
I bought for Eur 135 a Lenovo Tab 8 FHD as replacement for my Shield Tablet.
I need a tablet of with a 8" format just for reading and browsing and the Shield couldn't provide me anymore with that in a reliable and software wise safe way so with a market where it s very hard to find a 8" tablet with FHD screen the Lenovo is the really immediate available option.
No constant reboots etc. fine screen and Android 10 on board from start.
Will keep my Shield for testing builds but after I think 6 years it had come at age.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Installed lineage-15.1-20211018-UNOFFICIAL-shieldtablet.zip autoreboot after a while in the TWRP, any suggestion?

bootloop ? do u try to format /data in TWRP ?
    lineagelogo.png

Disclaimer:
    Not responsible for any injuries you do to yourself or your device being damaged caused by this ROM.
    Big thanks goes to @Steel01 for all the hard work and the Sources.

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Hi Everyone

After some months of learning how to build my own Roms and how to edit the proprietary files of this Device i was able to build my first edited version of LineageOS 15.1 with HW Acceleration and the Camera working.
    Its a slim an snappy Rom for everyone that´s looking for a monthly updated Android 8.1 Rom to keep this unique Device alive.
    This first release is really basic because i deleted everything that doesn't work right.
    My plans for this Rom are to keep it updated in case of Security Patches and add some Features here and there as i still learn how this Device and Android is working in general.
    Also the official release of LineageOS 16 will end the development of this Rom for the reason i don't want to rival the official contributors of this Device.

Little FAQ to this Rom:

Do i need to Wipe my existing Rom even its LineageOS 15.1 based ?
    Yes because i use my own Release Keys for this Rom you need to Wipe your existing one.

Is this Rom compatible with every Shield Tablet ?
    Yes this Rom is working with every Shield Tablet

I have a Shield LTE Version and after flashing this Rom i cant connect my device for Data Transfer with my computer anymore.
    For some Reason i still didnt found out on LineageOS 15.1 there is no Drop Down Menu for this Device to change the type of connection.
    To change it go to Settings > Connected Devices > USB

I found a Bug with this Rom i didnt had on any Rom before what should i do before i post it here ?
    Before you post any Bugs and Errors here make sure you installed this Rom correct as i told with a full wipe in your recovery first and if there are modifications installed like Magisk
    Moduls or Xposed or you changed this Rom in any way, you should reinstall it fresh first to take a look if the issue still occurs.
    If yes post a detailed report of the Error with a Logcat.txt File

Can i install and use Apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime,.. and watch content in HD again with this ROM ?
    As this is a Problem with the Widevine Services and this Device itself this Rom doesn´t change anything on that. If you want to use the Netflix App for example you still have to use the liboemdecrypt modul on Magisk and its SD only

Thanks goes to:
    @Steel01 and the whole LOS Team for doing all the hard work to keep this Device alive
    @Artemka2008 for figuring out the OMX fix
    @Triodexe for uploading his work on his Github so i could figure out how to edit the vendor files
    @john_matrix for teaching me how to set up my build enviroment and being really helpful when i´m stuck with errors :)

Requirements:
    • Bootloader Unlock
    • Bootloader Version 4.00.2016.04
    • Custom Recovery installed (use Version 9.5.0_9-0 of TWRP or Lineage Recovery)

Instructions:

• Download the latest build and gapps if needed (8.1 / arm / pico)
    • Reboot to recovery and wipe your existing Rom
    • Flash the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot

Downloads:

Whats working now:

• HW Acceleration
    • Snap Camera

Whats still not working:

• Nvidia Games App (Deleted)
    • Console Mode UI (Deleted but HDMI still working fine)
    • Encryption (will lead to a Bootloop if tried)
    • Screen Mirroring ( In App Cast like on the Youtube App still working fine)
    Contributors:

@Steel01
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS
    @Scavenger87
    Device: https://github.com/Scavenger-87/android_nvidia_device_shield-common
    https://github.com/Scavenger-87/android_device_nvidia_shieldtablet
    Vendor: https://github.com/Scavenger-87/android_vendor_nvidia_shield

ROM OS Version: 8.1 Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.96+

Version Information:
    userdebug
    SELinux: Enforcing
    Security Patch: 5.10.2021
    Build Signature: Own Release Key

Created 14.05.2021
    Last Updated 18.10.2021
    Any updates on this?
    Next update will be released when the July Security Bulletin is merged. I also still working on the code to make it more stable with every release.

Stay tuned ;)

Hi

Sounds to me its running out of memory as chrome, google meet and a another browser app will take a lot of memory and the device isn't able to handle all of this with just 2GB of Ram even i set the Low Memory Killer to very low settings before it starts to kill apps.
    Maybe its helping when you root your device and adjust the LMK Settings with a App like Smart Pack-Kernel Manager or similar

I also think its time to keep you updated on the work i do to this Rom at the moment since the new Security Bulletin is around the corner.

Right now i still looking for a solution to fix this artifacts issues that this device facing on ROMs above Android 7.0 .
    After i tried to optimize the Memory Management and deleted stuff like hwc2on1 (which leads still to performance cuts even they fixed a memory leak there) i still get those artifacts on website based video-streaming mostly in chrome.

So i was going a other route with this problem and started working on the .so files that located at the vendor folder. I did this for the reason because i saw some difference in size on those files we found at the vendor files from @Steel01 and the last OEM release of Nvidia which was the version 5.4.

A short explanation what those files are: ( I hope my explanation is correct otherwise don't hesitate to correct me :) )

.SO Files are Shared Libraries that located in the "lib" folders of the vendor files. those Files are containing the code how the device handles the HW acceleration and video playback,sound,... and many things more. Those files are compiled that means its not possible to edit them with reasonable effort ( would need reverse-engineering and recompiling after editing).

But what i can do is to change them out from newer versions of this files from the above mentioned OEM 5.4 ROM or even from the Shield TV Roms which i tried with 7.2.3 because its the last Android 8.1 ROM before the Upgrade to Android 9.

First i tried to update every file with the same name to a newer version which leads to the device not even starting up after install. When i just changed the files from the folders nvmm and media the device started up but the overall performance was much worse and the video-playback was only smooth at max 720p which is strange as it even happens with the Files from 5.4.

But it seems i´m on the right track there and maybe i need to delete and add more files because those files might correlated to each other.
    This need a lot of work and testing so that means that this changes are not included in my next update when the security bulletin is merged maybe not even in the next after this.

But i'm eager if i can fix the artifact issues with this and maybe even more.

Like i mentioned above i might interpret some things wrong and if someone of you knows more about those files and its function i´m glad to learn more about :)

Have a nice Sunday everyone ;)
    Hi Everyone

First i wish all of you a happy new year !

Sadly i have to start this year with a sad message for you guys.

I will discontinuing this build because of two reasons:

First reason is that LOS itself has abandoned 15.1 that means there are no more security bulletins in the future as you can see here in the comment section of this unofficial attempt to add the December bulletin :

Bump Security String to 2021-12-05

My second reason is that there is virtually no information and source files available anymore to build good working roms for this K1 chipset which means its very hard (at least for me) to add new features or fix problems like the ones with the hw acceleration that give us those green artifacts.
    I also tried to re-add the nvidia games app to my rom which worked first after i tinkered around with the framework of 15.1 by retrofitting the nvidia specific patches you found here for lineage-16.0 :

nvidia-enhancements-q

But after a week and a another update by nvidia to the app it started crashing again while starting up the game sessions. I dont know exactly whats the reason for this as i tried it the last few weeks with different changes on my build but i cant get it working again for some reason.

Thats the reason i will discontinuing my build for this device at least for now and i hope you guys could understand this.

I just want to thank again for all the support that let me build this rom the last year and if someone needs assistance to start his own build can still message me here on this forum and can find my sourcefiles on my github account :)

Regards
    Chris
    Hi Everyone