[ROM] [UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 16.0 for Shield Tablet

danielandross

Apr 27, 2014
I flashed the rom today. It works great!
Gamepass streaming is working great. (did not at lineage15)
Dualshock Bluetooth works better than on 14.
From start a few hickups when opening "Settings" Application. But worked better after a few reboots. Will report any bugs I encounter.

Thank you for your work!

Sapeur90

Mar 29, 2008
Hi,
Thanks a lot for the great work!
I clean flashed this rom few days ago + formatted the SD in FAT32. Here is my feedback:
- Compared to LOS 14.1 I had before (14.1-20191023), the battery consumes much faster.
- Some apps are crashing at the first run, but runs fine afterwise.
- Brawl stars & Clash Royale shows many graphical glitches.
Other that that, it is all good!

Trevor_g

Jul 6, 2008
I already tought its not easy to bring wifi support back for the old controller but i think also there is no high priority since the second gen is working fine over bluetooth and they already cheap to buy used.
Hard to argue with that logic! I just happen to have 3 WiFi controllers kicking around, but most people probably don't. :)

One final controller-related question. When using the newest Shield controller (over bluetooth), will the headphone jack work on it?

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Hard to argue with that logic! I just happen to have 3 WiFi controllers kicking around, but most people probably don't. :)

One final controller-related question. When using the newest Shield controller (over bluetooth), will the headphone jack work on it?
Dont get me wrong i also would like to see the old controller working wireless again but i think it wasnt the smartest move from nvidia to go with wifi instead of bluetooth 😅
Like Steel said its super hard to make it running again because of the lack of the app and i'm also wondering what wifi-protocol they used because you cant see the controller over wifi in general.

But i also like the controller especially the trackpad that you can use as a mouse :)

To your second question the headphone jack does work just fine on the new controller with LOS 16.0 and 15.1

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Old info dump about the controller stuff (and a few other things):

The wifi direct controllers are actually using several open protocols. Like the name indicates, they use wifi direct to pair, it's wps push button stuff. The controller itself is usb internally, then the ozwpan driver is used to forward that over wifi. I've had the controller paired wirelessly to a desktop before (then some hid changes broke ozwpan entirely...). The issue is that Android supports virtually none of these. So the frameworks have to be modified in several places to make stuff play.

Reactions: dennisthemenace85

Sapeur90

Mar 29, 2008
Thanks a lot John_matrix for the new build.
Would you lke to share the updates you made so we can give a more focused feedback?
So far, I don't see a big difference versus the build of Jan 4th.

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
The new build is much more stable now i would say it has about 1/3 of the crashes and omx glitches compared to the older build very good job ! :cool:(y)

I also started to stresstest it a bit with running youtube in chrome and in the app side by side and it starts glitching but they go away fast now even without killing the app. Only firefox is still refusing to play videos more than once but to be honest it also could be firefox's fault because its in general more problematic with playing videos on websites on all roms 😅

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Old info dump about the controller stuff (and a few other things):

The wifi direct controllers are actually using several open protocols. Like the name indicates, they use wifi direct to pair, it's wps push button stuff. The controller itself is usb internally, then the ozwpan driver is used to forward that over wifi. I've had the controller paired wirelessly to a desktop before (then some hid changes broke ozwpan entirely...). The issue is that Android supports virtually none of these. So the frameworks have to be modified in several places to make stuff play.
Thanks @Steel01 for the detailed informations how that stuff works. I'm not really expirienced when it comes to programming but for me it sounds like its really hard to get this working again because its not just the app thats missing also the drivers.

Is reverse engineering of the android tv version of the app a option to may add touchscreen support and to find out what also needed ?

maxroddupuy

Apr 19, 2011
Montevideo
Hi! I need help :|

I was coming from LineageOS 14, from TWRP I did the dalvik and cache wipe, then the factory restart wipe. After this, I installed the latest realease of v16 and didn't see any error on the screen and proceed with the gapps installation. After this, I get stuck on the lineageos loading animation. It loads for a while and then restarts to TWRP. Did some more wipings, but still the same.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

john_matrix

Nov 22, 2008
France
Try with wiping Cache, Dalvik cache, System and Data (rm -rf in TWRP should be sufficient as format will take ages)
Afterthat reboot in TWRP and try to reinstall the ROM with the GApps

Sapeur90

Mar 29, 2008
Many thanks John_matrix.
So far, didn't see too much difference vs previous build: graphical glitches in Brawl stars & Clash Royale and green screens in Youtube.
Thanks for the security & other patches.

dzello

Aug 27, 2015
Installed the last build, but not the first. Rendered the tablet unusable. Anything was sluggish and after a few minutes of usage, Webview stopped working altogether, in all apps.

Sapeur90

Mar 29, 2008
Installed the last build, but not the first. Rendered the tablet unusable. Anything was sluggish and after a few minutes of usage, Webview stopped working altogether, in all apps.
If you come from a different ROM, make sure you do a clean install (backup your data and Factory reset in TWRP before flashing).

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Hi John thanks again for the updated build :)(y)

About the stability its about the same as the last one i would say. Still some green screens and random app crashes at start. I tried to catch the errors with logcat but after something crashed which seems to me its something framework related ADB wasnt working also 😅

But after everything setteled a bit i was able to use the debug bridge again and i was able to record this error which was trowing the error codes i put in the zip file over and over again.

I also noticed the gain in stability came with deactivated vulcan because those benchmarks arent available anymore in 3DMark.

I try to catch some more errors but at the moment i'm also busy with testing different replacement batteries ☺

Attachments

dzello

Aug 27, 2015
If you come from a different ROM, make sure you do a clean install (backup your data and Factory reset in TWRP before flashing).
I install Android on rooted devices for at least 10 years. I wipe and reformat the filesystems every time.

The only thing that could pose a problem is my local DNS. Hostname serving ads are resolved to 0.0.0.0 but it didn't cause any problem with Lineage 15.1.

maxroddupuy

Apr 19, 2011
Montevideo
Try with wiping Cache, Dalvik cache, System and Data (rm -rf in TWRP should be sufficient as format will take ages)
Afterthat reboot in TWRP and try to reinstall the ROM with the GApps
Thanks for the fast response! I was not lucky with your suggestion, and also tried the latest build with no luck. I ended up installing lineage 15 and that one is working.

Will keep an eye here for another build to see if I can get it working.

Many thanks!

pfout

Nov 5, 2012
hmm i have an issue logging into the tablet with the 20210116 build. Tablet boots and starts fine but wont connect to servers to complete setup.

this is on a clean install coming from lineage 14

edit : i think there might be a wifi issue

Last edited:

herrJones

Nov 1, 2012
hmm i have an issue logging into the tablet with the 20210116 build. Tablet boots and starts fine but wont connect to servers to complete setup.

this is on a clean install coming from lineage 14

edit : i think there might be a wifi issue
Yep, I can second that. Tablet is no longer in heavy use but thanks to this room still working fine.
however, I am unable to complete the initial setup (so it keeps on coming back). WiFi and apps are working fine so far

Kind regards,

Jan