[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for Moto G8/G Fast [RAV]

Search This thread

TheFunkDotor

Oct 1, 2021
any solution for the punch hole camera covering notifications? i tried all configs in developer options but device default seems closest but covers notifications/the time

there was an adb fix for this on moto g power, does anyone have expirience

ph4n70m-404

Mar 21, 2020
github.com
Moto G Stylus
any solution for the punch hole camera covering notifications? i tried all configs in developer options but device default seems closest but covers notifications/the time

there was an adb fix for this on moto g power, does anyone have expirience
I feel like mentioning i have a los build with that fixed and is more updated to the november security patch although there are currently problems with getting GApps to work with it.

AvoidTheNoyd

Jun 9, 2021
Hi I have q couple questions l. I know generally you need to have a stock rom installed before installing a custom one. Which is exactly what I did before installing my current rom, ArrowOS.

So my question is can i install LOS or other AOSP-like roms from arrow-os?

Also can I install a Android 11 build from motorola directly from TWRP?

And could i potentially install a custom rom after running Motos Android 11 build without going back yo android 10?

Mrjocky

Feb 23, 2019
I want to install this rom, but I am on official android 11, is there a safe tutorial to downgrade safely and specifically for this model?

Andrive

Apr 18, 2018
aaaaand I might've just hard bricked my moto g fast, it doesn't have any OS anymore and won't accept flashing commands for stock images

Andrive

Apr 18, 2018
I ended up on a screen that says "No valid opereting sytstem found" in red text

to anyone that somehow ended with a bricked phone like me, connect your phone in fastboot mode, download motorola's Rescue & Smart Assistant program (on PC) then download the firmware for the phone, once it downloads the firmware don't click on Rescue yet, instead flash gpt.bin (in fastboot) from the firmware you just downloaded. You should be able to flash stuff now, and you could restore the phone back to stock with the program

Reactions: kozmo2k4

mcsoap

Aug 7, 2016
I was running LineageOS 17.1 with my G8 Power (sofiar, XT2041-3). It's been a while, so I recovered to original Motorola Firmware with Android 11:

XT2041-3_SOFIAR_RETEU_11_RPES31.Q4U-47-35-11_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip

It works so far (full Android 11 OEM experience), but I wanted to try LineageOS 18.1. I'm running TWRP 3.5.0.0 and every time I try to wipe data, it complains that operation has failed and that it wasn't able to wipe the data. It is very similar to what's here (except I see the errors in TWRP):

Was anybody able to get past that?

Greydesk

Jan 23, 2011
Hi all,
I'm also running a G8 Power with LineageOS 17.1 from XDA. I would like to move to 18.1 and I found this website with instructions: https://www.getdroidtips.com/lineage-os-17-1-moto-g8-power/
Two questions:
1. Will this work? (I already have TWRP)
2. In the download the ROM section, there are many many directories with files. In the latest directory (18.1 2022-02-21) there are two files: lineage-18.1-20220221-UNOFFICIAL-FASTBOOTD-sofiar.zip and lineage-18.1-20220221-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar.zip. Which do I use?

Or, are the instructions here a better idea?

Thanks!

LeithJones

Jul 9, 2008
Hi all,
I'm also running a G8 Power with LineageOS 17.1 from XDA. I would like to move to 18.1 and I found this website with instructions: https://www.getdroidtips.com/lineage-os-17-1-moto-g8-power/
Two questions:
1. Will this work? (I already have TWRP)
2. In the download the ROM section, there are many many directories with files. In the latest directory (18.1 2022-02-21) there are two files: lineage-18.1-20220221-UNOFFICIAL-FASTBOOTD-sofiar.zip and lineage-18.1-20220221-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar.zip. Which do I use?

Or, are the instructions here a better idea?

Thanks!"
I think you're confusing this rom (sjll's) and PH4N70M's.

I ran sjll's rom for a long time. I just followed the instructions in the first post.
I've recently switched over over to phantoms.
It was a bit of an ordeal. I bricked my phone a number of times while switching up. I lost all my settings.

but I'm pretty sure I installed TWRP to recovery_a 'fastboot flash recovery_a twrp-sofiar-rav.img"
then I booted to twrp
I think i switched to b (so I could install a rom to a. see note below)
then i installed phantoms rom
switched to a (to install gapps and magisk)
rebooted to recovery
installed GAPPS and magisk
reboot to success

like I said. I bricked the thing a number of times in the update. It's possible I installed everything to b by doing the rom install from a. But I'm pretty sure I'm on a.

I wish I could be more help.

But after writing all that I realize you're on a power while I'm on a fast. If you just follow the guide in phantoms thread and you should be good.

g8experiments

Jan 10, 2023
Eek! Moto G8 Power user here, and I did this and now phone wont boot or be recognized by adb... Please help! I will be too grateful!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */
    About LineageOS
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.x (Q),
    which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo.
    And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Official LineageOS website : http://lineageos.org
    About LineageOS Legal : http://lineageos.org/legal/

Read Guidance carefully, Or you will fail at flashing.

The LineageOS 18.1 is based on stock Android 10 this time, Make sure you are running stock Android 10 before flashing this ROM !!!!!!

Important Information
    1 You need to flash Stock Android 10 before flashing this ROM.
    2. For VoLTE, you might need to boot into stock firmware and enable it before flashing this ROM!

Downloads Links
    LineageOS 18.1:
    Unofficial-build:
    Link

Google Applications (optional):
    OpenGapps:
    http://opengapps.org/ (ARM64->Android 11.0->Pico, Nano or Micro)
    Information: Flash the GApps before the first boot. If not, a clean flash is recommended.

Flashing and updating
    How to flash

Make sure you upgraded to Official Android 10.0 from Moto
    Unlock bootloader is necessary.
    Download latest platform-tools from google

1. Install fastbootd drivers, guidance
    2. Download Lineage Recovery: AFH
    3. Put your device into fastboot mode
    4. Type the following command to flash the recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    5. Enter fastbootd:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot fastboot
    6. Flash LineageOS:
    Code:
    fastboot set_active a
    fastboot flash:raw boot boot.img
    fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot erase metadata
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash product product.img
    7. If you are first time to flash LineageOS, Wipe the old userdata:
    Code:
    fastboot erase userdata

Gapps:
    After flashed images in fastbootd, choose Enter recovery - Apply update - Apply from ADB, then sideload the gapps package on your PC with adb tool:
    Code:
    adb sideload <PATH OF GAPPS>

Root access:
    Flash Magisk in recovery.

Issues and reports

Report issues only if you are using the ROM kernel
    If an additional mod is installed, make sure it's unrelated, and mention it
    Make sure the issue wasn't discussed earlier in the threads
    Share a log of the error with CatLog for example

Also thanks to:
    The LineageOS Team
    The CyanogenMod Team

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage-18.1 for Moto G8/G Fast, ROM for the Moto G8/G Fast

Contributors

Sjll
    Source Code:

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.14

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2021-01-26
    Last Updated 2021-01-27
    FEATURES AND ISSUES
    Code:
    - Boot: Ok
    - Bluetooth: Ok
    - WiFi: Ok
    - WiFi Hotspot: Ok
    - Wireless display: Ok
    - RIL - Phone - Data: Ok
    - VoLTE: Ok
    - GPS: Ok
    - Camera: Ok
    - Camcorder: Ok
    - Lights: Ok
    - MicroSD: Ok
    - Accelerometer: Ok
    - Compass: Ok
    - Gyroscope: Ok
    - QTI sensors: Ok
    - Touchscreen: Ok
    - FM Radio: NA
    - Fingerprint: Ok
    - Vibrator: Ok
    - Microphone: Ok
    - Audio & music: Ok
    - Bluetooth audio: Ok
    - Kernel: Ok
    - Graphics: Ok
    - 3D Rendering: Ok
    - Clock: Ok
    - DRM: Widewine L3
    - Offline Charging: Ok
    - USB: Ok
    - USB Tethering:  Ok
    - USB OTG: Ok
    - Encryption: Ok
    - SEPolicies: Enforce
    Hi!
    Here's a little help for y'all having problem trying to flash the rom
    This phone is a little different to flashing stuff to it, which i found out the bad way lol so here's a quick guide so you have a higher chance to flash the rom without any issue! (I dont guarantee it'll work, its something i tested and worked all the times i flashed roms to my poor phone lol)

I'd strongly recommend you do a clean install (Factory reset from stock Android 10) and backup your important stuff before you do lol
    Do the first steps
    A mistake i made in the begining is that after i flashed the recovery i decided to boot the phone back to the stock rom which caused a brick, so after you flash the recovery.img there's no turning back (Use the recovery tool that motorola gives so you can restore your device to stock if the phone fails to boot or flashing returns with an error, but make sure its on fastboot, not fastbootd when you plug your phone to the computer to restore it)
    Continue the steps and
    when you get to flashing the images
    Simply flash the product.img before the system.img
    Like this
    fastboot set_active a
    fastboot flash:raw boot boot.img
    fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot erase metadata
    fastboot flash product product.img
    fastboot flash system system.img

I suppose that the product.img has the data that the phone needs so it knows where the system.img files belong to or how to divide them to the right spots so it doesn't return with the "Not enough space" error (Dunno im kinda a noob at that)

And boom!
    Also you can do this with every rom you try for this phone
    always flash product.img before system.img
    I had the most luck out of it with it lol, Enjoy!
    Will this work on the moto g stylus - us version.?
    What about Moto g8 Power?

Some kernel modules of other Moto sm6125 devices are not included, so some hardware doesn't work.
    I ended up on a screen that says "No valid opereting sytstem found" in red text

to anyone that somehow ended with a bricked phone like me, connect your phone in fastboot mode, download motorola's Rescue & Smart Assistant program (on PC) then download the firmware for the phone, once it downloads the firmware don't click on Rescue yet, instead flash gpt.bin (in fastboot) from the firmware you just downloaded. You should be able to flash stuff now, and you could restore the phone back to stock with the program