• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for Nexus 5 (hammerhead) [DISCONTINUED]

Search This thread

ewoks

Nov 11, 2010
Winterthur
Hi, didn't do this for a long time on my Nexus5, so I would need a tip or two.. :/
Flashed the newest twrp-3.5.2_9-0-hammerhead.img, pushed the newest lineage-18.1-20211102-UNOFFICIAL-hammerhead-signed.zip, selecting install in recovery mode and I get "E1001: Failed to update system image." error logged after "patching system image unconditionally..."

What did I forget..? :/

Thanks in advance

ssauger

Aug 12, 2010
Hi, didn't do this for a long time on my Nexus5, so I would need a tip or two.. :/
Flashed the newest twrp-3.5.2_9-0-hammerhead.img, pushed the newest lineage-18.1-20211102-UNOFFICIAL-hammerhead-signed.zip, selecting install in recovery mode and I get "E1001: Failed to update system image." error logged after "patching system image unconditionally..."

What did I forget..? :/

Thanks in advance
I think you missed from second post:
"
To install rom you should increase the /system partition size
This can be done for example with TWRP HH.R
"

hersh785

Dec 8, 2020
LineageOS 18.1 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11.0 (R), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
*/
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

The source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. Your changelog is whatever was merged into gerrit.

Known bugs:
Screen mirroring via slimport HDMI adapter doesn't work.
PMF aka 802.11w doesn't supported. Read here about it.
Encryption has problems. Read here about it.

Downloads:
ROM: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hammerhead-lineageos/files/18.1/
GAPPS: https://opengapps.org/?arch=arm&api=11.0&variant=pico

Credits:
Many thanks to the LineageOS team and all the contributors out there in the community

Contributors:
z3DD3r

Source Code:
Device tree: https://github.com/z3DD3r/android_device_lge_hammerhead/tree/lineage-18.1
Kernel tree: https://github.com/z3DD3r/android_kernel_lge_hammerhead/tree/lineage-18.1
Vendor tree: https://github.com/z3DD3r/android_vendor_lge/tree/lineage-18.1

Android version: 11.0.0 (R)
Kernel version: Linux 3.4.113

Created 2021-01-07
Last Updated 2021-06-08
Why doesn't it root with supersu? I flashed supersu from here https://download.chainfire.eu/696/supersu/ and flashed it from TWRP and in TWRP it appeared 'done' but when I reboot I see it's not rooted!

z3DD3r

Feb 9, 2016
Minsk
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 9R
Why doesn't it root with supersu? I flashed supersu from here https://download.chainfire.eu/696/supersu/ and flashed it from TWRP and in TWRP it appeared 'done' but when I reboot I see it's not rooted!
I guess because SuperSU is not adopted for Android 11. Use latest Magisk from github for root. It works without issues.

But be aware that root solutions are not a part of ROM and not supported by ROM developers. So you should install them on your own risk.

mag01

Nov 12, 2013
Does anyone have issue with incoming message notifications appearing with like 15 min - 1 hour delay when the phone is idle?

I tried the solution mentioned in the last post here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/delayed-notification-lineage-os-17-1-essential.4122305/ and hope it's going to help. However the com.android.messaging app was already whitelisted as system app so I'm not sure if it's going to actually help.

There's also this Reddit thread about it https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/dpk7v4 mentioning some cases when whitelisting the messaging app as system app didn't help.

Last edited:

z3DD3r

Feb 9, 2016
Minsk
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 9R
Unfortunately this is known issue with native SMS app in LineageOS. And the only way is to whitelist this app. LOS 18.1/17.1/16.0 for N5 doesn't include this patch for whitelisting SMS app so you should do this yourself via adb shell. But as you already said this workaround may not help and nobody knows why.

Does anyone have issue with incoming message notifications appearing with like 15 min - 1 hour delay when the phone is idle?

I tried the solution mentioned in the last post here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/delayed-notification-lineage-os-17-1-essential.4122305/ and hope it's going to help. However the com.android.messaging app was already whitelisted as system app so I'm not sure if it's going to actually help.

There's also this Reddit thread about it https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/dpk7v4 mentioning some cases when whitelisting the messaging app as system app didn't help.
Nope. However, i've never used the stock Lineage messaging app, i always replace it with Google Messages with Aroma GAPPS.

Reactions: jollfye

Myt7930

Jun 14, 2021
I guess because SuperSU is not adopted for Android 11. Use latest Magisk from github for root. It works without issues.

But be aware that root solutions are not a part of ROM and not supported by ROM developers. So you should install them on your own risk.
When rooting via magisk, can I than uninstall /system files (like built in browser etc.) ?
Usually, I couldn't (it probably doesn't unmount the /system files). I found this solution online, but I didn't try it yet.

Romain1221

Dec 1, 2021
Hello,

I'm a newbie in LOS and before installing it on my nexus 5 16gb I would like to know what is the size of LOS18 along with Gapps. Why is this information is not accessible? I feel like some people are adjusting their partition in a fail and retry mode using TWRP. Is it not possible to list the different sizes ?
And given that it is 16gb what LOS you would recommend if not 18.1 ?
Thanks !

z3DD3r

Feb 9, 2016
Minsk
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 9R
Hello,

I'm a newbie in LOS and before installing it on my nexus 5 16gb I would like to know what is the size of LOS18 along with Gapps. Why is this information is not accessible? I feel like some people are adjusting their partition in a fail and retry mode using TWRP. Is it not possible to list the different sizes ?
And given that it is 16gb what LOS you would recommend if not 18.1 ?
Thanks !
Hello,

Rom installation instructions are in the second post of this thread. The size of rom along with gapps can't be provided cos each new build of rom/gapps may increase or decrease in size. Also your phone variant (16Gb or 32Gb) is not important. The only important thing is that Nexus 5 in stock has 1Gb system partition which is not enough for LineageOS 18.1 even without gapps.

Reactions: kkjb

Romain1221

Dec 1, 2021
Hello,

Rom installation instructions are in the second post of this thread. The size of rom along with gapps can't be provided cos each new build of rom/gapps may increase or decrease in size. Also your phone variant (16Gb or 32Gb) is not important. The only important thing is that Nexus 5 in stock has 1Gb system partition which is not enough for LineageOS 18.1 even without gapps.
Thank you for your reply. The 1.4Gb is only for LOS18.1 right ? How do I know how much space I need if I want to add Gapps nano or pico ? Is it more or less the size of the install file ?

z3DD3r

Feb 9, 2016
Minsk
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 9R
Thank you for your reply. The 1.4Gb is only for LOS18.1 right ? How do I know how much space I need if I want to add Gapps nano or pico ? Is it more or less the size of the install file ?
Why 1.4Gb? Where did you find that info? As i told i can’t tell you the size cos it can be changed and i don’t want to check and update it for each new build. If you want to know how big is latest rom you can view the used/free space on the system partition after rom flash in TWRP.

Also can’t tell you anything about opengapps. Just flash package you want. And if it will not fit then you can search for details in opengapps log (will be created in the same folder with .zip). The only thing i can tell you is that pico can be installed on system increased by TWRP HH.

Romain1221

Dec 1, 2021
Why 1.4Gb? Where did you find that info? As i told i can’t tell you the size cos it can be changed and i don’t want to check and update it for each new build. If you want to know how big is latest rom you can view the used/free space on the system partition after rom flash in TWRP.

Also can’t tell you anything about opengapps. Just flash package you want. And if it will not fit then you can search for details in opengapps log (will be created in the same folder with .zip). The only thing i can tell you is that pico can be installed on system increased by TWRP HH.
The 1.4Gb comes from the link of your second post that explains how to use TWRP for the rom installation. But my guess was that it was only for LOS and that seems to be the case. It's great if twrp does the work for pico but I find strange not to be able to know beforehand how much space I need to set for my system partition since for LOS18.1 Android 11 on gapps there is only one option to download for pico or nano, so only one possible minimum space required for pico or nano But there's probably something I'm missing here and I'll do as you say by checking the amount of space takes the flash.
Thank again for your help.

z3DD3r

Feb 9, 2016
Minsk
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 9R
The 1.4Gb comes from the link of your second post that explains how to use TWRP for the rom installation. But my guess was that it was only for LOS and that seems to be the case. It's great if twrp does the work for pico but I find strange not to be able to know beforehand how much space I need to set for my system partition since for LOS18.1 Android 11 on gapps there is only one option to download for pico or nano, so only one possible minimum space required for pico or nano But there's probably something I'm missing here and I'll do as you say by checking the amount of space takes the flash.
Thank again for your help.
1444Mb is the size of your /system partition after repartition process in TWRP HH. it has nothing to do with the rom size and opengapps size. And TWRP HH is not only for LOS. It is just a simple way to increase your /system size. You can use TWRP HH to increase system partition and install all ROMs (LOS, crDroid, NitrogenOS, HavocOS) based on Android 11 with at least opengapps pico

Romain1221

Dec 1, 2021
1444Mb is the size of your /system partition after repartition process in TWRP HH. it has nothing to do with the rom size and opengapps size. And TWRP HH is not only for LOS. It is just a simple way to increase your /system size. You can use TWRP HH to increase system partition and install all ROMs (LOS, crDroid, NitrogenOS, HavocOS) based on Android 11 with at least opengapps pico
Then I'm definitly missing something. The way I understand it is that I have to adjust my system partition using TWRP to make sure I can install LOS using TWRP on my nexus (bc as you said 1gb on my nexus is not enough) but my system partition needs to be large enough to accept my ROM+Gapps. If my rom size is 2Gb, then we agree that on twrp I need to set my system partition at least to 2gb ? And If I add Gapps I need to crank it up a bit more so that I do not get space error right ?

z3DD3r

Feb 9, 2016
Minsk
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 9R
Then I'm definitly missing something. The way I understand it is that I have to adjust my system partition using TWRP to make sure I can install LOS using TWRP on my nexus (bc as you said 1gb on my nexus is not enough) but my system partition needs to be large enough to accept my ROM+Gapps. If my rom size is 2Gb, then we agree that on twrp I need to set my system partition at least to 2gb ? And If I add Gapps I need to crank it up a bit more so that I do not get space error right ?
You are right. I'm trying to say that /system partition size after repartition process is not the size of ROM or ROM+GAPPS.

For example today LOS may require 1050Mb of free space to install. But tomorrow LOS would required 1040Mb or 1110Mb of free space. The same may happen with GAPPS.

If 1444Mb is not enough for your needs, then you can increase your /system partition even more using the parted tool. But that is another story...

Romain1221

Dec 1, 2021
You are right. I'm trying to say that /system partition size after repartition process is not the size of ROM or ROM+GAPPS.
Yes exactly, which is why I was trying to get the space I need to set because I guessed that the size of ROM and GAPPS is not the same size of the installation of the smartphone.
For example today LOS may require 1050Mb of free space to install. But tomorrow LOS would required 1040Mb or 1110Mb of free space. The same may happen with GAPPS.

If 1444Mb is not enough for your needs, then you can increase your /system partition even more using the parted tool. But that is another story...
But if LOS changes in size then it means that it is another version and not 18.1 right ? If so LOS18.1+the corresponding Gapps-nano will always take the same space on the phone no ?

z3DD3r

Feb 9, 2016
Minsk
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 9R
But if LOS changes in size then it means that it is another version and not 18.1 right ? If so LOS18.1+the corresponding Gapps-nano will always take the same space on the phone no ?
No. Even if size of LOS 18.1 and Gapps Nano for Android 11 will increase they will still be LOS 18.1 and Gapps Nano for Android 11. But the chances that this will happen are really low

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS 18.1 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11.0 (R), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

The source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. Your changelog is whatever was merged into gerrit.

Known bugs:
    Screen mirroring via slimport HDMI adapter doesn't work.
    PMF aka 802.11w doesn't supported. Read here about it.
    Encryption has problems. Read here about it.

Downloads:
    ROM: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hammerhead-lineageos/files/18.1/
    GAPPS: https://opengapps.org/?arch=arm&api=11.0&variant=pico

Credits:
    Many thanks to the LineageOS team and all the contributors out there in the community

Contributors:
    z3DD3r

Source Code:
    Device tree: https://github.com/z3DD3r/android_device_lge_hammerhead/tree/lineage-18.1
    Kernel tree: https://github.com/z3DD3r/android_kernel_lge_hammerhead/tree/lineage-18.1
    Vendor tree: https://github.com/z3DD3r/android_vendor_lge/tree/lineage-18.1

Android version: 11.0.0 (R)
    Kernel version: Linux 3.4.113

Created 2021-01-07
    Last Updated 2021-06-08
    Hello
    Some of you already saw that new build was released. The reason for new build is a bug in gps reported by one of my testers. And it so happened that the bug fix coincided with the release of the new security patch. It doesn't mean that i will continue to support N5 in the future...
    New LOS 18.1 build is up (lineage-18.1-20210614-UNOFFICIAL-hammerhead-signed.zip)
    Changelog:
    1. June security patch
    2. Latest code from LineageOS team
    3. Updated bluetooth firmware (from Sony Z3)
    4. Updated device tree. Removed test apps and binaries
    5. Updated kernel. Disabled debug stuff + updated LZ4 compression for ZRAM

This is the last build from my side. I don't have a Nexus 5 and don't have time and motivation to support this device. I've added a list of patches (in the 3rd post of this thread) which i've used in my builds so anyone can make own builds of LineageOS 18.1
    Hello

New build is out. Short changelog:
    1. April's security patch
    2. Fixed GPS blobs
    3. Fixed SELinux denials
    4. Fixed Wi-Fi Display
    5. Added some changes in kernel
    6. Improved memory usage

Some notes about last item. I have enabled some options which are used on low memory devices with Android GO. It doesn't mean that i've build GO version of android. This will improve memory usage and more memory will be available.

Huge thanks to @tapecoda for tests!
    Hello

New build is out. Short changelog:
    1. May's security patch
    2. Minor improvements in device tree and kernel