[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for Nexus 5 (hammerhead)

Mr.FREE_Bird

Nov 5, 2013
I haven't used my Nexus 5 in a few years and now I would like to update it to android 10, in particular your LineageOS 17.1.
But being many years since the last update I was wondering if my recovery, kernel and radio were compatible with android 10. Would you be able to suggest which recovery, which magisk version, which kernel and radio to install? Maybe kernel and radio now come bundled with the OS (?)
Lastly, there is any peculiar step for a clean installation procedure?

I tried to search on the thread beforehand, but couldn't find the answers. Sorry if you already answered my questions.

Thanks a lot for the your time and effort!
Hello,

First make sure you made a backup of all your important files.
Then you have to make sure that you have the latest version of TWRP installed:
Give that thread a good read and go through the re-partition process. It's a requirement for some new ROM's and makes it possible to install larger Gapps packages as well if you want to.

Now let's talk about the bootloader and radio, the latest version of the bootloader is "hhz20h" and the latest version of the radio is "2.0.50.2.30". Check if the versions shown by the bootloader match with the ones I mentioned.
If they don't you may need to update them, I'm not sure if that's required but I assume it is.
This guide explains how you can update the bootloader and radio:
https://www.nextpit.com/how-to-update-nexus-5-bootloader-and-radio

With all of that out of the way you can proceed to installing this ROM.

1. Copy the ROM zip, Gapps zip and the Magisk zip to your device. (both Gapps and Magisk are optional)
2. Boot into Recovery.
3. Wipe Dalvik / Art Cache, /System, /Data & /Cache.
4. Flash the ROM zip.
5. Optional: Flash the Gapps zip.
6. Optional: Flash the Magisk zip.
7. Reboot to System.

That's it, good luck!

Last edited:

snow

Oct 14, 2010
www.mozilla.ro
I made a migration script for anyone who wants to flash easily from unsigned 17.1 builds to signed 18.1 builds. This way you don't have to make a clean flash of LOS 18.1.

If you're still on an unsigned LOS 17.1 build, all you have to do is to flash the script via TWRP, then you can flash any signed LOS 18.1 build.

It worked well in my case, the first boot since dirty LOS 18.1 installation took a while.

NOTE: Dirty installation might break the lock screen, even if your pin/pattern is correct, leading to impossibility to unlock the screen.
In this specific case, use TWRP and go to the /data/system folder, then delete all the files containing the word "locksettings" and/or "gatekeeper". Reboot the device and then you should be able to unlock the screen and set back any lock screen you want.

WARNING: Use script at your own risk.

Attachments

marzapane

Aug 12, 2013
Hello,

First make sure you made a backup of all your important files.
Then you have to make sure that you have the latest version of TWRP installed:
Give that thread a good read and go through the re-partition process. It's a requirement for some new ROM's and makes it possible to install larger Gapps packages as well if you want to.

Now let's talk about the bootloader and radio, the latest version of the bootloader is "hhz20h" and the latest version of the radio is "2.0.50.2.30". Check if the versions shown by the bootloader match with the ones I mentioned.
If they don't you may need to update them, I'm not sure if that's required but I assume it is.
This guide explains how you can update the bootloader and radio:
https://www.nextpit.com/how-to-update-nexus-5-bootloader-and-radio

With all of that out of the way you can proceed to installing this ROM.

1. Copy the ROM zip, Gapps zip and the Magisk zip to your device. (both Gapps and Magisk are optional)
2. Boot into Recovery.
3. Wipe Dalvik / Art Cache, /System, /Data & /Cache.
4. Flash the ROM zip.
5. Optional: Flash the Gapps zip.
6. Optional: Flash the Magisk zip.
7. Reboot to System.

That's it, good luck!
Thank you very much for the expansive answer! You answered all my doubts and more

AtumTTG

Nov 14, 2012
Hi,

I'm trying to setup encryption, but my phone gets stuck after doing so.

I repartitioned my device following the tutorial, did a full wipe using TWRP (Format data -> reboot) then installed the ROM/Gapps. No problems whatsoever.

The thing is, after setting up encryption, the phone reboots, ask for the encryption pass, then locks on the LineageOS booting logo. After a couple of minutes it reboots and launches the bootloader, as if the system image was corrupt, and I cannot get it to open again.

TWRP can decrypt the password and access the data, but the system refuses to boot up.

I'm using the latest images:
ROM: lineage-18.1-20210109-UNOFFICIAL-hammerhead-signed
GApps: open_gapps-arm-11.0-pico-20210101-UNOFFICIAL
Recovery: twrp-3.4.0-HH.R.7

Btw, thanks for the build @z3DD3r.

Anyone else having the same type of issue? Thanks

Last edited:

z3DD3r

Feb 9, 2016
Minsk
Hi,

I'm trying to setup encryption, but my phone gets stuck after doing so.

I repartitioned my device following the tutorial, did a full wipe using TWRP (Format data -> reboot) then installed the ROM/Gapps. No problems whatsoever.

The thing is, after setting up encryption, the phone reboots, ask for the encryption pass, then locks on the LineageOS booting logo. After a couple of minutes it reboots and launches the bootloader, as if the system image was corrupt, and I cannot get it to open again.

TWRP can decrypt the password and access the data, but the system refuses to boot up.

I'm using the latest images:
ROM: lineage-18.1-20210109-UNOFFICIAL-hammerhead-signed
GApps: open_gapps-arm-11.0-pico-20210101-UNOFFICIAL
Recovery: twrp-3.4.0-HH.R.7

Btw, thanks for the build @z3DD3r.

Anyone else having the same type of issue? Thanks
Yep, that bug exist. Idk right now what wrong cos some users reported that encryption works fine for them... I'll update first post with known bugs

Reactions: AtumTTG

ViseLu

Jan 12, 2021
Hi! I've installed the ROM but I don't have enough space to install Gapps and if I try to expand the System size it doesn't works. What con I do?

Last edited:

Mr.FREE_Bird

Nov 5, 2013
Hi! I've installed the ROM but I don't have enough space to install Gapps and if I try to expand the System size it doesn't work. What con I do?
Have you tried to repartition your device with this recovery?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Yep. At least SafetyNet checks failed with Magisk 21.2. Maybe newest beta or canary versions of Magisk will work. I don't know and can't test. Anyway this problem is on Magisk side...
Google did some server-side changes the other night to make a lot of devices fail safetynet by forcing hardware attestation but making it look like you were using evalType basic. This "may" be the problem you are having with failing safetynet checks. It is unrelated to Magisk or the latest update of Magisk. The commit is here to fix it... https://github.com/ProtonAOSP/andro...mmit/15633a3d29bf727b83083f2c49d906c16527d389

There is also a Magisk Mod zip in the Magisk thread to fix it.

z3DD3r

Feb 9, 2016
Minsk
Google did some server-side changes the other night to make a lot of devices fail safetynet by forcing hardware attestation but making it look like you were using evalType basic. This "may" be the problem you are having with failing safetynet checks. It is unrelated to Magisk or the latest update of Magisk. The commit is here to fix it... https://github.com/ProtonAOSP/andro...mmit/15633a3d29bf727b83083f2c49d906c16527d389

There is also a Magisk Mod zip in the Magisk thread to fix it.
Well, this commit not required for LOS. My latest build doesn't have any issues with Play Market and SafetyNet checks without Magisk. So for me this problem related only to Magisk 21.2. Btw one user told me that Magisk 21.1 works fine and safetynet checks passed successfully.

realx3m

Jul 31, 2008
Btw one user told me that Magisk 21.1 works fine and safetynet checks passed successfully.
Just tried 21.1 , i did have 21.2 before it which i uninstalled with the uninstall zip from magisk github, and then flashed 21.1. So unless the uninstaller leaves some traces, i think its safe to say that it doesnt work for me.

Btw with 18.1-20210113 seems like bluetooth works more stable than the couple of 17.1 builds that ive been using last couple of months and also 18.1-20210109. In all of those before, i did get frequent receiver disconnects with LDAC when switching sample rate/bitrate in devops(especially when streaming music over wifi), and with 18.1-20210113 i can get sort of a hiccup in place of what would be a disconnect on the other builds. For the whole day ive been playing with it, i only got 1 disconnect, id say it dropped from 30% of the time to 10% of the time that happens. Was something done regarding bluetooth in the latest build(or maybe some wifi improvement) , or is it some lucky side effect?

Edit:
BTW Has anyone had any luck with JamesDSP? Been getting system UI crashes after flashing the magisk module.
Or Ryuki Dolby Atmos, depending on the version i was either getting bootloops or app just not starting/crashing. Tried with setprop dolby.force.permissive 1 which worked for me on LOS17.1 , but no luck.

Last edited:

misterfallen

Oct 26, 2011
try many different Gapps zips,always failed.
I used pico package,show me the device does not have sufficient space available in the system partition to install
who can help me,please!

# End Open GApps Install Log

INSTALLATION FAILURE: Your device does not have sufficient space available in
the system partition to install this GApps package as currently configured.
You will need to switch to a smaller GApps package or use gapps-config to
reduce the installed size.

Mr.FREE_Bird

Nov 5, 2013
try many different Gapps zips,always failed.
I used pico package,show me the device does not have sufficient space available in the system partition to install
who can help me,please!

# End Open GApps Install Log

INSTALLATION FAILURE: Your device does not have sufficient space available in
the system partition to install this GApps package as currently configured.
You will need to switch to a smaller GApps package or use gapps-config to
reduce the installed size.
Try to search for a solution before asking for help.
Scroll up a bit, I literally posted a solution for someone with the same issue as yours a couple of posts above.

aa84

Dec 20, 2010
Great rom! Its really smooth especially if you turn off window/transition/animator scale in developer settings.

I tried dirty flashing from 17.1 using snow's script but the homescreen would crash at "phone starting" screen - wiping system and data then reinstalling fixed it.