[ROM] [UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1- microG Edition

Search This thread

dic1911

Feb 22, 2014
dic1911.github.io
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Intro(Skip at your wish xd):
Hello guys, it's kind of frustrating that our 4a 5G don't get much love here(in custom ROM development perspective) as Pixel 5 as it's not really a "main" variant.

For myself, I love Pixel devices for Google releases "proper" device tree and most necessary stuff, but still it require quite some time for me to get things right and a working ROM build, hell, to be honest, I spent like about 30 hrs already as this is my first time to use AOSP tree + vendor blobs from Google site to build ROMs)

Despite the lack of previous experience, the first build that I'm releasing here, is working quite well, I haven't discovered any (device-specific) bug just yet, anyway, let's continue

Instructions:
0. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked
1. Download ROM zip from the link below, and grab Magisk patched boot.img inside the folder as well if you want root access
2. Reboot to bootloader
2.5. Flash updated bootloader.img and radio.img from Google site
3. Use `fastboot -w update LineageOS_microG-bramble-(BUILD DATE HERE)-userdebug-signed.zip` to flash
and yes, you can omit the "-w" parameter if you're not flashing for the first time, aka just updating from previous release
4(optional). Hopefully after flashing you'll be booted into LineageOS, reboot to bootloader again,
and flash the Magisk patched boot.img extracted from the 7z file with `fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img`,
reboot after finished
5. Enjoy!

Features:
1. MicroG integrated nicely (Thank OmniROM dev(maxwen@GitHub) for the repo)
2. Replaced default WebView with
Bromite WebView
3. Default DNS was set to UncensoredDNS in framework overlay
4. Removed unnecessary prebuilt APKs

Download

Contacts:

Telegram:
Channel for Pixel 4a 5G related stuff
Group for Pixel 4a 5G discussion

Special thanks: @kdrag0n , @akhilnarang for helping me with issues when I couldn't get my build working :eek:

XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOS 18.1 - microG Edition, ROM for the Google Pixel 4a 5G

Source
ROM
Kernel

Contributors
dic1911
ROM OS Version: Android 11
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Current
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
Testing

Created 2020-11-29
Last Updated 2020-12-16

Last edited:

dic1911

Feb 22, 2014
dic1911.github.io
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Current Known Issue

1. Some minor bubble notification glitch, ROM side issue.

2. Video call is unstable, crashes in about ~10 minutes after the call starts (untested in latest update, may be fixed)

3. If mobile data doesn't work after update, try select/set APN manually(select whatever APN first, then select the correct one after)

Last edited:

Deafcyclist

Dec 31, 2009
Alexander City
lostear.com
I've never heard of the MicroG before so just looked that up. I'm loving that philosophy so I'm definitely gonna be checking that out! Thanks! My pixel is arriving tomorrow so after playing around with it first, I'll try out your ROM once there's more responses from others here.

Joegrizz

Aug 18, 2010
I guess I will roll the dice and give it a go. Anyone know if this will affect my e-sim with Google Fi?

tgilmore16

Jul 15, 2008
Thanks. It looks great and runs good but I’m obviously missing something. I tried installing GApps via ADB side load and no matter which size Nikhil version I attempt to install, I get an error there’s not enough memory. I’ve rebooted after flashing to the rom and also done a factory reset to no avail. What am I missing? I’ve also tried it with and without the patched boot.img.

Voodoojonny

Dec 17, 2015
Dortmund
Thanks. It looks great and runs good but I’m obviously missing something. I tried installing GApps via ADB side load and no matter which size Nikhil version I attempt to install, I get an error there’s not enough memory. I’ve rebooted after flashing to the rom and also done a factory reset to no avail. What am I missing? I’ve also tried it with and without the patched boot.img.
Use systemless WeebGapps via Magisk:
t.me/WeebGAppsChannel

letrain02

Is anyone using this ROM as their daily driver? I'm still reluctant to risk my warranty :D
Warranty? Should not effect that. I wouldn't think it would. Bootloader is unlockable and google even gives the option to flash aosp vanilla(no google) or public (official google rom) with their flashing tool (via chrome browser).

Reactions: Crashdown1994

Voodoojonny

Dec 17, 2015
Dortmund
Are Pixel-Exclusive features such as Now Playing, Live Captions, Call Screening, Adaptive Sound, Screen Attention included and working?

Any issues getting safetynet to pass?
This is Lineage... You install this one to get privacy and free yourself from Gapps. You might be able to get most features running, but then you just can stay with stock - privacy is then gone again...

dic1911

Feb 22, 2014
dic1911.github.io
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Does this rom use seedvault like mainline lineageos? Or is google backup in here even with microg?

SeedVault is builtin system app for all LineageOS builds, no matter it's official or not, if it's not there in someone else's build, either it's removed by the builder or the build is too old.
So yes, SeedVault is in my build, but there's no guarantee that it works with any apps just like Google Backup(which I found pretty much useless in my case)

PS. I'm not really as active as I was on xda since about 2 years ago, please join Telegram for more updated stuff
PPS. I released GCam extracted from stock ROM and modified to make it work on LineageOS(and pretty much any custom ROM with right stuff baked in), and yes, you'll need to flash updated build from my Telegram channel (It's more convenient for me to upload to Telegram as the storage space there is unlimited)

Reactions: crubbish

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Intro(Skip at your wish xd):
    Hello guys, it's kind of frustrating that our 4a 5G don't get much love here(in custom ROM development perspective) as Pixel 5 as it's not really a "main" variant.

For myself, I love Pixel devices for Google releases "proper" device tree and most necessary stuff, but still it require quite some time for me to get things right and a working ROM build, hell, to be honest, I spent like about 30 hrs already as this is my first time to use AOSP tree + vendor blobs from Google site to build ROMs)

Despite the lack of previous experience, the first build that I'm releasing here, is working quite well, I haven't discovered any (device-specific) bug just yet, anyway, let's continue

Instructions:
    0. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked
    1. Download ROM zip from the link below, and grab Magisk patched boot.img inside the folder as well if you want root access
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    2.5. Flash updated bootloader.img and radio.img from Google site
    3. Use `fastboot -w update LineageOS_microG-bramble-(BUILD DATE HERE)-userdebug-signed.zip` to flash
    and yes, you can omit the "-w" parameter if you're not flashing for the first time, aka just updating from previous release
    4(optional). Hopefully after flashing you'll be booted into LineageOS, reboot to bootloader again,
    and flash the Magisk patched boot.img extracted from the 7z file with `fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img`,
    reboot after finished
    5. Enjoy!

Features:
    1. MicroG integrated nicely (Thank OmniROM dev(maxwen@GitHub) for the repo)
    2. Replaced default WebView with
    Bromite WebView
    3. Default DNS was set to UncensoredDNS in framework overlay
    4. Removed unnecessary prebuilt APKs

Download

Contacts:

Telegram:
    Channel for Pixel 4a 5G related stuff
    Group for Pixel 4a 5G discussion

Special thanks: @kdrag0n , @akhilnarang for helping me with issues when I couldn't get my build working :eek:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 18.1 - microG Edition, ROM for the Google Pixel 4a 5G

Source
    ROM
    Kernel

Contributors
    dic1911
    ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Current
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Testing

Created 2020-11-29
    Last Updated 2020-12-16
    Hello guys, updated build with this security patch for this month is uploaded, and happy new year!
    LineageOS 18.1 is up!
    Now with December security patch, grab it from the link in OP
    Current Known Issue

1. Some minor bubble notification glitch, ROM side issue.

2. Video call is unstable, crashes in about ~10 minutes after the call starts (untested in latest update, may be fixed)

3. If mobile data doesn't work after update, try select/set APN manually(select whatever APN first, then select the correct one after)
    Temporary camera fix for LineageOS 18.1
    (root is necessary to apply this fix, you can unroot afterwards)

Somehow that stock vendor.img doesn't want to work with LineageOS and AOSP vendor.img is broken that I can only release this as a workaround for now

Instrustions:
    0. Download the fixed vendor.img here
    1. Reboot to bootloader and connect your phone to PC
    2. Run fastboot reboot fastboot on your PC
    3. Wait for the phone to enter fastbootd
    4. Run fastboot flash vendor vendor_fix.img (the extracted file from this 7z file) on PC
    5. Boot into Android
    6. Open a terminal on your phone or use adb shell on PC
    7. Run su -c "mount -o rw,remount /vendor;restorecon /vendor/bin/rlsservice;mount -o ro,remount /vendor" in it
    8. Done

A new build can be grabbed from the link in OP now(if not, you're too fast, wait for my PC to finish uploading), camera is now officially fixed.