• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 [OnePlus Nord N10/billie]

Search This thread

Randy_Andy

May 26, 2021
The only thing I can think of is you must've somehow messed up factory partitions, that's when I run MSM and fully rewrite ROM. Then when I start from there I'm ready to go. I've done it 5 times now before I got it right, haven't had a problem since. Maybe something's different about the versions we're using.
Hi, I still face the same issues.
I got the advice to switch back to OxygenOS, but I did not got it back to work.

I followed the instructions above, but I am still in the "fastboot loop".
I tried several of the available (and here cited) recovery.img's (latest-OP11, Pixel, lineage and also TWRP), but none of them helped me to overcome the issue.
I copied several ROMs to the /sdcard, but the only ROM (incl. latest OP-11-ROM), which "seems" to install is lineage, but it is still not booting.

I have no access to Windows so MSMtool is currently no option. I suppose that there is an issue with the partitons, can you please give advice how to fix it with linux compatible tools?
Thanks a lot!

brezhnevv

Dec 28, 2011

I tried several of the available (and here cited) recovery.img's (latest-OP11, Pixel, lineage and also TWRP), but none of them helped me to overcome the issue.
I copied several ROMs to the /sdcard, but the only ROM (incl. latest OP-11-ROM), which "seems" to install is lineage, but it is still not booting.

I have no access to Windows so MSMtool is currently no option. I suppose that there is an issue with the partitons, can you please give advice how to fix it with linux compatible tools?
Thanks a lot!
I had to do a VMware player Windows 10 box to restore my phone when it got that bad 😭

it's really easy to do VMware, at least. all you have to do is install VMware, get the windows 10 ISO from Microsoft, install the VMware player tools, install the msm stuff (including the weird extra driver) and then uninstall all of it and delete it all to rid your system of the stink of Microsoft I guess

RackonTembar

Jun 13, 2021
I was able to get LineageOS installed and it functioned pretty well. Thanks to JGADZ for his detailed guide.
I did notice an issue with audio playing from various apps, particularly for mp4 files.

For instance:
1. The default gallery app plays video without audio.
2. Discord embedded videos stall if the video has audio associated with it. Videos without audio play fine.
3. Newpipe halts video playback and gives a "Unrecoverable Player Error Occurred" error. If you change the associated video and audio formats to WEBM, you can play some videos with functional audio.

I tested and confirmed I was able to get the files playing in VLC with audio, it seems like some integrated base audio codec or utility for mp4/m4a playback isn't working properly. I am not really experienced in phone architecture, but that is my best guess.

Has anyone else encountered that issue?

Reactions: Lagerya

lonewolfbtown

Jun 28, 2017
Phoenix
I didnt have this issue. But i did have the issue with apps acting like i didnt have fingerprint set up. Thats one of the reasons i went back to my op7pro. Are you referring to playing local files?

RackonTembar

Jun 13, 2021
Yes, I am referring to playback of local mp4 files saved locally to the internal storage. If an mp4 with audio was opened in the gallery, it would open it in the gallery's built in player and it would have no audio.

The playback of mp4 files with audio within other apps would cause the files to fail to load.

I didn't test the fingerprint sensor before I reverted back to OxygenOS. I may try reinstalling LineageOS tonight and determine if the problem was a one-off, or if I can use the fingerprint sensor.

Edit: I have reinstalled the latest LineageOS release available from OP, and encountered the same audio issue.
Here are my findings:

1. Downloaded MP4 files in the Gallery have no audio. I tried another Gallery app called "LeafPic Revived" , and I got the following error: "Unable to instantiate decoder OMX.google.aac.decoder"

2. Discord is able to play some MP4 files with no audio, and none with audio.

3. Newpipe gives "Unrecoverable player error occurred" when attempting to access any video with audio M4A format selected. This is also true for the background player, which ignores video stream data. When the audio selection is changed to WEBM, audio works fine in the background. The error persists on some videos that are presented in MP4 format on youtube, but when a resolution/format combination for webm is tried it works fine.

Its definitely some issue with a missing or unreachable decoder.

I also tested the fingerprint sensor. I was able to unlock the phone with it, and I was able to get it working partially with Fingerprint Gestures. It seems like works a single time after Fingerprint Gestures is enabled, and then it immediately stops working once you leave the app window - even if the app is reselected. If the app is completely closed and reopened, you can use the fingerprint sensor again, but only until you switch apps or close Fingerprint Gestures.

Last edited:

Lagerya

Mar 16, 2018
I was able to get LineageOS installed and it functioned pretty well. Thanks to JGADZ for his detailed guide.
I did notice an issue with audio playing from various apps, particularly for mp4 files.

For instance:
2. Discord embedded videos stall if the video has audio associated with it. Videos without audio play fine.
3. Newpipe halts video playback and gives a "Unrecoverable Player Error Occurred" error. If you change the associated video and audio formats to WEBM, you can play some videos with functional audio.

I tested and confirmed I was able to get the files playing in VLC with audio, it seems like some integrated base audio codec or utility for mp4/m4a playback isn't working properly. I am not really experienced in phone architecture, but that is my best guess.

Same error. I wrote earlier in this thread

darkreaper476

Jun 24, 2010
System based music players can not play ogg vorbis or flac files either. Only mp3 and they sound scratchy. As said above VLC fixed this, but its a band aid not a solution.

brezhnevv

Dec 28, 2011

For instance:

it's because it wasn't compiled with the proper kernel audio support. it's really messed up and needs updated but it looks like the OP doesn't really have interest in continuing to update it, and the source they shared isn't rly helpful for compiling it.

karenmcd

Jul 2, 2021

Thanks a lot!
You have to. I just used a virtual machine in for my distro and used an inactivated version of windows to restore mine following this guide after i had a working windows vm:
Code:
https://www.naldotech.com/unbrick-oneplus-nord-n10-5g-msm-download-tool/

@Billaids
I'm having trouble pulling the blobs to try building myself, can you share yours? and im also wondering if some of the problems are related to there being two models. I am using EU, not International and was having fastboot loop also.

Randy_Andy

May 26, 2021
You have to. I just used a virtual machine in for my distro and used an inactivated version of windows to restore mine following this guide after i had a working windows vm:
Code:
https://www.naldotech.com/unbrick-oneplus-nord-n10-5g-msm-download-tool/

@Billaids
I'm having trouble pulling the blobs to try building myself, can you share yours? and im also wondering if some of the problems are related to there being two models. I am using EU, not International and was having fastboot loop also.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I am still struggling, I installed a VM with Win10, but the linked Qualcomm-driver starts to get installed but ends with error message that "Qual driver 9008 cannot be found". I tryed several other drivers which are looking promising (device is found and MSMtool starts), but it then ends with the "param preload error"; which is said to be an issue due to the "wrong driver".
BUT the right one according to the link given in the first post does not install (not on my VM, nor on an old Win8-box which I organized these days) ... any further hints are higly appreciated,

I never experienced such a strange situation in the last decades (and I started with installing linux from floppy disks in the good old days, which was a real challenge with compiling kernel modules to create a boot image etc ).

Randy_Andy

May 26, 2021
Thank you very much for your reply.

I am still struggling, I installed a VM with Win10, but the linked Qualcomm-driver starts to get installed but ends with error message that "Qual driver 9008 cannot be found". I tryed several other drivers which are looking promising (device is found and MSMtool starts), but it then ends with the "param preload error"; which is said to be an issue due to the "wrong driver".
BUT the right one according to the link given in the first post does not install (not on my VM, nor on an old Win8-box which I organized these days) ... any further hints are higly appreciated,

I never experienced such a strange situation in the last decades (and I started with installing linux from floppy disks in the good old days, which was a real challenge with compiling kernel modules to create a boot image etc ).
FINALLY SOLVED !!

1) To overcome my driver issues in Win, I had to extract both *.cab files (the one which is linked in the first post "fe241eb3-d71f-4f86-9143-c6935c203e12_fba473728483260906ba044af3c063e309e6259d" and the elder one from MS "20855130_dae427ffe0a2d6268aa209d782d05ea874aad0dc" into the same folder while taking care that newer files replace the elder ones. After preparing this folder I could do a manual driver update without any issues.

2) Taking MSM tool and EU version worked fine due to step 1)

3) I did an upgrade to the newest OxygenOS

4) I unlocked the phone by fastboot

5) I followed the installation routine as explained in the first post --> SUCCESS!

Thanks a lot for providing LineageOS for Billie!

SomeRandomGuy

Mar 17, 2008
Chicago
LG G4
LG G6
Want to make sure this thread keeps going, on behalf of all of us that own this phone and want a custom ROM.

So my experience: Nice ROM, got it working with little drama. After playing with it, decided to wipe and restart for a more "permanent" install... and that's where the fun starts.

Long story short, I, too got stuck in the Bootloader loop of death. But there are a few things no one else has called out, that I'd like to:

- After installing LOS as listed in top post, it appears it installs a LOS Recovery (which seems to boot from the bootloader -> recovery option)
- The LOS Recovery seems to have its OWN implementation of Fastboot...
- If you use that, you can boot into Recovery... but, wait for it, back to the Pixel Experience Recovery as originally flashed
- Flashing the LOS image with LOS Recovery whines that I would be downgrading, and even if I elect to do so, errors out saying it is a downgrade. Erasing the system partition from fastboot does not help this.
- You can use the fastboot set_active a (and "b") to set A/B partitions
- You can flash TWRP too, over both (A & B slots), and it seems to boot fine... just can't figure out how to do anything practical with it as the ADB Sideload crashes, and I can't figure out how to push a image to the device from fastboot (where to put it, nothing's mounted?) to use its flashing feature

All in all, I gave up, and went for the EDL mode recovery.

Officially, I am unable to confirm nor deny you can get a Win10 ISO directly from Microsoft (no purchase/login required), Install in VirtualBox (I am Linux only at home), skip activation long enough to install CAB files for EDL driver, and load the EDL flash tool described elsewhere.

Some notes on that:
- You have to unzip the CAB file with drivers, W10 doesn't seem to load them directly if you don't. (There are CLI tools to do this, you can't do it from the GUI AFAIK... but this is the first time I used Win10, LOL, so maybe I am just a Win N00b)
- If VirtualBox fails to see any USB devices to pass along, search for the add-your-user-to-group fix- this works
- Remember one of the beauties of Linux is you can impersonate yourself... so if you have to do the above, articles will tell you to log off for it to take effect... nah, just SU - yourself and you inherit the group needed for USB passthrough
- I can't figure out how to keep EDL mode active other than using it. Meaning, after holding the buttons and plugging in the cord, you have about 15 seconds to click the "start" button in the (hopefully already running) MSM tool... otherwise the phone leaves EDL (back to the bootloader of death loop if you release power button). Ditto for installing drivers, if needed...
- Once the tool is running, the power button can be released and, yay, seems to work effortlessly

So... after EDL flash... must re-unlock bootloader... as a reminder course:
- Let the phone boot normally, go through the setup (minimal/skip everything seems to be fine) but you need to connect to Internet to get unlock instantly
- Go into Settings- > About and click "Build number" a bunch of times till you are crowned "a developer"
- Go into Settings -> Developer Options and turn on OEM unlocking
- Turn on "advanced reboot" a few below to make your life easier for the next step
- Reboot to bootloader
- From 'puter fastboot oem unlock (Assumes you already did the unlock token once when you first got in this mess)

OK, back to step one for LOS... hope this rant helps someone...

northernpines

Aug 5, 2021
Is this a Google-free ROM, or does it include Google functionality / tracking / wifi scanning, etc?

I want to install Lineage to get away from Google, so I was thrown off by the OP that said this ROM utilizes a project that "restore the Google parts".

Thank you for porting this to billie!!

northernpines

Aug 5, 2021
I got this ROM installed after lots of work and a few "Crash Dump" screens that came up on the phone. The Crash Dump screen that was displayed on my phone would not let me shut down, either by holding down the Power button alone or by holding Volume Down + Power. I could only reboot it using Volume Up + Power, but then it would "boot" back to the Qualcom Crash Dump screen.

I had to let the phone run out of battery to be sure it was fully off before I could do an EDL flash. Then, become a developer, enable oem unlock and USB debugging, and then continuing with the instructions from the OP.

In the end, I did get this ROM to install. I am setting up my phone now.

Questions:

1. I get a warning message when I power up my phone: "This build was signed with public keys." Do I need to be concerned about that message?

2. When a more stable / official version of this build comes out, will I be able to upgrade from within this ROM, like a typical Lineage OS update? Or, will I need to wipe and adb sideload the new ROM?

kieni111

Mar 16, 2019
I got this ROM installed after lots of work and a few "Crash Dump" screens that came up on the phone. The Crash Dump screen that was displayed on my phone would not let me shut down, either by holding down the Power button alone or by holding Volume Down + Power. I could only reboot it using Volume Up + Power, but then it would "boot" back to the Qualcom Crash Dump screen.

I had to let the phone run out of battery to be sure it was fully off before I could do an EDL flash. Then, become a developer, enable oem unlock and USB debugging, and then continuing with the instructions from the OP.

In the end, I did get this ROM to install. I am setting up my phone now.

Questions:

1. I get a warning message when I power up my phone: "This build was signed with public keys." Do I need to be concerned about that message?

2. When a more stable / official version of this build comes out, will I be able to upgrade from within this ROM, like a typical Lineage OS update? Or, will I need to wipe and adb sideload the new ROM?
nice you got it working in the end!

1. no need to be concerned - this is normal for a not official lineageOS build.
2. Probably from within the rom, but the dev is offline since april...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    am I the only one who couldnt even get this to install? I have unlocked bootloader and flashed derpfest successfully. wanted to try lineage and it got me bootloader loop. finally found the correct tmobile rom that I had to install from windows pc and decided to try it again straight from factory settings and unlock bootloader again etc, same results.
    fP0RlnB.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

What's working :
    Boots
    RIL
    Fingerprint
    Wi-Fi
    Bluetooth
    Camera
    Audio
    Sensors
    GPS
    NFC

Known issues :
    - DT2W
    - Adaptive Brightness

Instructions :
    !!!USE RECOVERY IMAGE IN LINEAGE DIRECTORY!!!

1. Download the ROM and recovery image
    2. Boot into bootloader adb reboot bootloader
    3. Flash the recovery image fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    4. Do a factory reset in recovery
    5. Reboot into recovery fastboot reboot recovery
    6. Go to Apply update and choose Apply from ADB
    7. Sideload the rom adb sideload rom.zip

ROM: https://downloads.billaids.dev/Lineage

Device Tree: https://github.com/PixelExperience-Devices/device_oneplus_billie
    Kernel Tree: https://github.com/PixelExperience-Devices/kernel_oneplus_sm6350

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.19
    Based On: LineageOS

Once again, I would love to try this, but am still waiting for a TWRP that will restore as well as backup.
    ROM works great so far! Is there any chance we could get a MicroG version?
    Will look for it, please be patient
    Not likely unless your country/region allows it. For example, it's built into lineage, but if you're on a US network, call recording is not present.

Posting the Dialer and Camera apps would not help. would also need libraries that you couldnt install without root.

I was able to get it... a little round about way.
    1. installed the android 11 one plus apk beta.
    2. installed another app that set the call recording property to 1.
    3. only thing is i need to manually open the app everytime i rebooted.
    am I the only one who couldnt even get this to install? I have unlocked bootloader and flashed derpfest successfully. wanted to try lineage and it got me bootloader loop. finally found the correct tmobile rom that I had to install from windows pc and decided to try it again straight from factory settings and unlock bootloader again etc, same results.