[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 20.0 [Android 13.0][JUDYLN] [Updated 15-10-2022]

Search This thread

DanCS1995

May 24, 2022
Brazil
proxy (1).png

A special thanks to @EmanuelCN for work hardly on Device Tree, Kernel and Recovery, without it this Rom wouldn't be possible.

ABOUT LINEAGE:
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Android OS version: 13.0 / 12.1(A12L)
Android Release: android-13.0.0_r8 / android-12.1.0_r22
Build Release date: 2022-10-15
Security patch: October 5, 2022
Build author/Device Maintainer: @DanCS1995
Kernel version/Author: Linux 4.9.235-N0kernel+ by
@EmanuelCN
Device: LG G7 ThinQ
Device codename: Judyln

DOWNLOAD:
LineageOS 20.0 (Android 13.0) October 5
LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12.1) October 5
OrangeFox
fastboot-tools.zip
fastboot-driver.zip
fix-fastboot.zip (You'll may need this)

ABOUT GAPPS:
Does this Rom come with GAPPS?

No, it doesn't. It means you'll not have "Google Play Store" app or any other Google related service or application in it.
If i wanna use it, wich one should i use?
Make sure to flash the right one that matches to your current Android version, AVOID Stock packages, and the ones that contains "Pixel Launcher" in it, it seams conflicts with Lineage Stock Launcher, and it will give you black screen.

For Lineage 19.1 ONLY!!!
For sure the better one seams to be the one that Lineage recomends you, that you can find it right here in Google Apps | LineageOS Wiki

CHANGELOG 15-10-2022:
• October 5, 2022 Security Patch.
• Whatsapp audio call issues now gone.
• No more "Internal Error" message.

BUGS:
• VoLTE (Will never work on custom roms on LG phones)
• 10 bit video recording (Watching content in 10 bit works, you just cant record video in 10 bit format).
• You tell me!

QUICK FASTBOOT-DRIVER GUIDE INSTALLATION:
How to install:
1. Extract the fastboot-driver.zip.
2. Open device manager
3. Click right on " Android " it should have a yellow warning icon, press on update driver
4. Select browse my computer then press on let me pick from a list of available drivers
5. Press on Have disk and then go to where you have extracted the zip file and select android_winusb.inf
6. Done.

IF YOU FACE SOME FASTBOOT ISSUES DOWNLOAD FIX-FASTBOOT ZIP :
Instructions: Copy it in main directory (usually in C: drive) and run it as administrator, problem solved.

ORANGEFOX GUIDE:
If you have acces to fastboot, download fastboot-driver.zip and fastboot-tools.zip for the tools necessary to boot ofox.
Open the CMD and use the following command to boot ofox:

Code:
fastboot boot ofox-metadata.img

If you don't have access to fastboot, enter in 9008 mode, open qfil and load ofox image on boot_a and boot_b then force reboot (hold volume - and power button for 10s), after it reboots it will get you automatly in ofox.

DISCLAIMER FLASHING OFOX IN QFIL WILL LEAD IN YOUR ROM NOT BOOTING AS LG G7 IS AN A/B DEVICE WHICH MEANS IT DOESN'T HAVE A RECOVERY PARTITION, BOOT IMAGE IS MANDATORY FOR YOUR PHONE TO BOOT, FLASHING OFOX USING QFIL ITS ONLY FOR YOU TO BE ABLE TO FLASH A CUSTOM ROM AS IT OVERWRITES THE BOOT IMAGE WITH THE CERTAIN ROM'S ONE.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: It is STRONGLY recommended to fully wipe your device before flashing and please avoid restoring system apps and system data with Titanium Backup (or with any backup/restore app) as this can cause stability issues that are very hard to debug, restoring regular apps is fine.
If you believe you know what you're doing - then fine, go ahead, but please don't complain if you experience any strange behavior.

"ROM Firmware Required: Must be on 30F EM, 30D EMW/EAW/AWM, 30D EMW for N model"

CLEAN FLASH : (If on A11/A12/A12L based rom other than Lineage 19.1)
1. Boot in OFOX metadata;

2. Format Data (Press on the recycle bin icon —-> format data ——> type yes);

3. FROM HERE YOU CAN CHOOSE BETWEEN 2 METHODS TO FLASH:

3.1. USING ADB SIDELOAD:
3.1.1. Press on "back" and flash the rom using adb sideload (Go to 3 lines in the bottom right corner, choose "ADB Sideload", Then "Swipe-->", open the cmd from adb tools folder in computer, then type "adb sideload", hit "Enter", then < drag and drop the zip over the cmd>);
3.1.2. Flash ofox zip the same way through adb sideload, it will automatically reboot to ofox after flashing is done;
3.1.3. Flash gapps; (Only if the rom does not contain gapps);
3.1.4. Flash magisk (Optional);

3.2. OR IF YOU HAVE A MICROSD CARD, YOU CAN FOLLOW THIS:
3.2.1. Move the rom and ofox, and gapps(if you will use) zip file into your microsdcard;
3.2.2. Press on "/sdcard" area and choose "Micro SDCard", navigate straight into your rom zip file, then press on it, then "swipe ---->", it will start flashing it;
3.2.3. After flash the rom, locate your ofox zip file and flash it as you did with the rom;
3.2.4. Flash gapps; (If you want);
3.2.5. Flash Magisk (Optional);

4. Change filesystem to f2fs (Go to 3 lines in bottom right corner ----> manage partitions ----> select data -----> change fs ------> f2fs);
5. Reboot.

DIRTY FLASH/UPGRADE ROM : (If you are already on Lineage 19.1)
• Boot in OFOX metadata;
• Flash the rom zip;
• Flash ofox zip, it will automatically reboot the phone to ofox after the flashing is done;
• Flash gapps (ONLY IF THE ROM IS WITH GAPPS ALREADY, MAKE SURE TO FLASH THE SAME ONE);
• Flash magisk (Optional);

Sources and Documentation
• ROM Source Code
• Kernel Source

Created 2022-05-24
Last Updated 2022-10-15

Screenshots:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220524-195940_Setup Wizard.png
    Screenshot_20220524-195940_Setup Wizard.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,893
  • Screenshot_20220524-200050_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20220524-200050_Trebuchet.png
    751.6 KB · Views: 1,882
  • Screenshot_20220524-200058_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20220524-200058_Trebuchet.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,893
  • Screenshot_20220524-200110_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20220524-200110_Trebuchet.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,910
  • Screenshot_20220524-200119_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20220524-200119_Trebuchet.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,901
  • Screenshot_20220613-220536_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20220613-220536_Settings.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 1,698
  • photo1657679983.jpeg
    photo1657679983.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,419
  • photo_2022-09-29_20-56-40 (2).jpg
    photo_2022-09-29_20-56-40 (2).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 982
  • photo_2022-09-29_20-56-40.jpg
    photo_2022-09-29_20-56-40.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 947
  • photo_2022-09-29_20-56-40 (3).jpg
    photo_2022-09-29_20-56-40 (3).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 919
Last edited:

XScorpionX72YT

May 11, 2020
So I Accidently flash ofox to boot a/b with qfil and now my phone won't boot. Now the screen just show
"Your device has failed a routine safety check and will not boot." Is there a way to fix my phone so I can boot it back?

Reactions: DanCS1995

DanCS1995

May 24, 2022
Brazil
So I Accidently flash ofox to boot a/b with qfil and now my phone won't boot. Now the screen just show
"Your device has failed a routine safety check and will not boot." Is there a way to fix my phone so I can boot it back?
You need to get the boot_a.img and dtbo_a.img from the kdz stock rom a10 file and you can try flashing it in both boot_a and boot_b, dtbo_a and dtbo_b in qfil, this might fix it. ANd edl is still there, you need to try a fill more, and you will do it

sandip999

Jun 19, 2022
I have also faced that issue. in my case, only edl mode was working. I followed the following steps & it worked for me. You should give it a try.

sandip999

Jun 19, 2022

tommy_brock

Jul 4, 2022
Hi,

I want to put this Lineage 19 rom on my G7. Can you help me please? My G7 is LM-G710EM, bootloader is unlocked. Its running LG's android 10 up to 01/11/2020 (that appears to be my final update possible - though I thought there was one in 2021?? - no available updates showing there now anyway)

1. (very noob question) when we say 'stock' do we mean just 'what came with the phone, and its subsequent updates?' As in, we didn't install any roms or recovery at this point. Is that right? Thats what i have right now. UK phone.

2. My firmware is V30h-EUR-XX, in this thread it says I need: "ROM Firmware Required: Must be on 30F EM, 30D EMW/EAW/AWM, 30D EMW for N model" - So do I need to find and install the 30F EM firmware? Where can I find the files and instructions please? Is it here: https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-lmg710em-firmwares/ ? ...Or is my V30h ok without this as its newer firmware?

**KEY QUESTION**
3. Could someone please outline for me the 'roadmap' for getting my G7 from: LG A10 -- to ---> L19
(Please correct / advise below)

1. use ofox to replace firmware 30H with 30F
2. use ofox to install L19 over existing LG A10

Is that right? ...or are there steps missing? e.g. I need to install x, then do y, ... and then install L19, or something like that? :)

Very grateful for any help you can give!

I am a noob but I had some success already putting cyanogen / lineage roms on old devices:
amazon kindle fire, my old HTC oneX, Samsung Galaxy Trend, LG G4 ...all still working fine ;-) ...thanks to XDA.

(I might not be able to reply straight away - work hours - but I'll try to get back asap)

Many Thanks,

DanCS1995

May 24, 2022
Brazil
Hi,

I want to put this Lineage 19 rom on my G7. Can you help me please? My G7 is LM-G710EM, bootloader is unlocked. Its running LG's android 10 up to 01/11/2020 (that appears to be my final update possible - though I thought there was one in 2021?? - no available updates showing there now anyway)

1. (very noob question) when we say 'stock' do we mean just 'what came with the phone, and its subsequent updates?' As in, we didn't install any roms or recovery at this point. Is that right? Thats what i have right now. UK phone.

2. My firmware is V30h-EUR-XX, in this thread it says I need: "ROM Firmware Required: Must be on 30F EM, 30D EMW/EAW/AWM, 30D EMW for N model" - So do I need to find and install the 30F EM firmware? Where can I find the files and instructions please? Is it here: https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-lmg710em-firmwares/ ? ...Or is my V30h ok without this as its newer firmware?

**KEY QUESTION**
3. Could someone please outline for me the 'roadmap' for getting my G7 from: LG A10 -- to ---> L19
(Please correct / advise below)

1. use ofox to replace firmware 30H with 30F
2. use ofox to install L19 over existing LG A10

Is that right? ...or are there steps missing? e.g. I need to install x, then do y, ... and then install L19, or something like that? :)

Very grateful for any help you can give!

I am a noob but I had some success already putting cyanogen / lineage roms on old devices:
amazon kindle fire, my old HTC oneX, Samsung Galaxy Trend, LG G4 ...all still working fine ;-) ...thanks to XDA.

(I might not be able to reply straight away - work hours - but I'll try to get back asap)

Many Thanks,
Hey, you are fine with your 30H firmware, you should have no problems with it.

Anyway, to change firmware you don't use ofox, you use LGUP
the guide you can find on this thread

Cross-Flash Oreo or Pie firmwares for all LG G7, G7+ dual sim Thinq except t-mobile

Once in ofox you can do from "CLEAN FLASH" steps of this guide

Reactions: tommy_brock

tommy_brock

Jul 4, 2022
Hey, you are fine with your 30H firmware, you should have no problems with it.

Anyway, to change firmware you don't use ofox, you use LGUP
the guide you can find on this thread

Cross-Flash Oreo or Pie firmwares for all LG G7, G7+ dual sim Thinq except t-mobile

Once in ofox you can do from "CLEAN FLASH" steps of this guide
Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I will not try to flash firmware as you think mine will be OK, but I will check out the linked information you gave for my own understanding.

I will use ofox and follow the 'clean flash' guide from here, as you advise.

That's great! Now I have a plan for action :cool:

I will try this over the next couple of days.

Many thanks,

tommy_brock

Jul 4, 2022
Success!!

Thanks for your help, I have L19 running on my G7 now. the install was painless! :) all seems good and working. I'm just trying it out, but so far, smooth. It is really nice to have something so up to date running on the phone. also so clean and simple, without all the crud the original system had. a huge improvement.

I have some questions,

- After reboot, trebuchet gives me an Android System message: 'There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details'
...after I dismiss it, I don't see it again. Have you seen this message? It is too cryptic for me to troubleshoot, but it doesnt seem to be causing a problem (as yet....?)

- Android System Trust Security throws up 2 alerts: This build was signed with public keys ; SELinux is not enforcing, your security has been weakened
...I'm guessing these are ok?

- In the Lineage camera app, the wide camera does not function (only main and front present).
I already put Open Camera app on there, which recognises all three cameras, and gave me great results before this on the G7, so I use Open Camera anyway.

- Can anyone recommend a GCam build for this rom? even better if its older and I don't have to root and do the 'buffer fix' stuff.

If anyone could advise, That would be great thank you!

Cheers,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    proxy (1).png

A special thanks to @EmanuelCN for work hardly on Device Tree, Kernel and Recovery, without it this Rom wouldn't be possible.

ABOUT LINEAGE:
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Android OS version: 13.0 / 12.1(A12L)
    Android Release: android-13.0.0_r8 / android-12.1.0_r22
    Build Release date: 2022-10-15
    Security patch: October 5, 2022
    Build author/Device Maintainer: @DanCS1995
    Kernel version/Author: Linux 4.9.235-N0kernel+ by
    @EmanuelCN
    Device: LG G7 ThinQ
    Device codename: Judyln

DOWNLOAD:
    LineageOS 20.0 (Android 13.0) October 5
    LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12.1) October 5
    OrangeFox
    fastboot-tools.zip
    fastboot-driver.zip
    fix-fastboot.zip (You'll may need this)

ABOUT GAPPS:
    Does this Rom come with GAPPS?

No, it doesn't. It means you'll not have "Google Play Store" app or any other Google related service or application in it.
    If i wanna use it, wich one should i use?
    Make sure to flash the right one that matches to your current Android version, AVOID Stock packages, and the ones that contains "Pixel Launcher" in it, it seams conflicts with Lineage Stock Launcher, and it will give you black screen.

For Lineage 19.1 ONLY!!!
    For sure the better one seams to be the one that Lineage recomends you, that you can find it right here in Google Apps | LineageOS Wiki

CHANGELOG 15-10-2022:
    • October 5, 2022 Security Patch.
    • Whatsapp audio call issues now gone.
    • No more "Internal Error" message.

BUGS:
    • VoLTE (Will never work on custom roms on LG phones)
    • 10 bit video recording (Watching content in 10 bit works, you just cant record video in 10 bit format).
    • You tell me!

QUICK FASTBOOT-DRIVER GUIDE INSTALLATION:
    How to install:
    1. Extract the fastboot-driver.zip.
    2. Open device manager
    3. Click right on " Android " it should have a yellow warning icon, press on update driver
    4. Select browse my computer then press on let me pick from a list of available drivers
    5. Press on Have disk and then go to where you have extracted the zip file and select android_winusb.inf
    6. Done.

IF YOU FACE SOME FASTBOOT ISSUES DOWNLOAD FIX-FASTBOOT ZIP :
    Instructions: Copy it in main directory (usually in C: drive) and run it as administrator, problem solved.

ORANGEFOX GUIDE:
    If you have acces to fastboot, download fastboot-driver.zip and fastboot-tools.zip for the tools necessary to boot ofox.
    Open the CMD and use the following command to boot ofox:

Code:
    fastboot boot ofox-metadata.img

If you don't have access to fastboot, enter in 9008 mode, open qfil and load ofox image on boot_a and boot_b then force reboot (hold volume - and power button for 10s), after it reboots it will get you automatly in ofox.

DISCLAIMER FLASHING OFOX IN QFIL WILL LEAD IN YOUR ROM NOT BOOTING AS LG G7 IS AN A/B DEVICE WHICH MEANS IT DOESN'T HAVE A RECOVERY PARTITION, BOOT IMAGE IS MANDATORY FOR YOUR PHONE TO BOOT, FLASHING OFOX USING QFIL ITS ONLY FOR YOU TO BE ABLE TO FLASH A CUSTOM ROM AS IT OVERWRITES THE BOOT IMAGE WITH THE CERTAIN ROM'S ONE.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: It is STRONGLY recommended to fully wipe your device before flashing and please avoid restoring system apps and system data with Titanium Backup (or with any backup/restore app) as this can cause stability issues that are very hard to debug, restoring regular apps is fine.
    If you believe you know what you're doing - then fine, go ahead, but please don't complain if you experience any strange behavior.

"ROM Firmware Required: Must be on 30F EM, 30D EMW/EAW/AWM, 30D EMW for N model"

CLEAN FLASH : (If on A11/A12/A12L based rom other than Lineage 19.1)
    1. Boot in OFOX metadata;

2. Format Data (Press on the recycle bin icon —-> format data ——> type yes);

3. FROM HERE YOU CAN CHOOSE BETWEEN 2 METHODS TO FLASH:

3.1. USING ADB SIDELOAD:
    3.1.1. Press on "back" and flash the rom using adb sideload (Go to 3 lines in the bottom right corner, choose "ADB Sideload", Then "Swipe-->", open the cmd from adb tools folder in computer, then type "adb sideload", hit "Enter", then < drag and drop the zip over the cmd>);
    3.1.2. Flash ofox zip the same way through adb sideload, it will automatically reboot to ofox after flashing is done;
    3.1.3. Flash gapps; (Only if the rom does not contain gapps);
    3.1.4. Flash magisk (Optional);

3.2. OR IF YOU HAVE A MICROSD CARD, YOU CAN FOLLOW THIS:
    3.2.1. Move the rom and ofox, and gapps(if you will use) zip file into your microsdcard;
    3.2.2. Press on "/sdcard" area and choose "Micro SDCard", navigate straight into your rom zip file, then press on it, then "swipe ---->", it will start flashing it;
    3.2.3. After flash the rom, locate your ofox zip file and flash it as you did with the rom;
    3.2.4. Flash gapps; (If you want);
    3.2.5. Flash Magisk (Optional);

4. Change filesystem to f2fs (Go to 3 lines in bottom right corner ----> manage partitions ----> select data -----> change fs ------> f2fs);
    5. Reboot.

DIRTY FLASH/UPGRADE ROM : (If you are already on Lineage 19.1)
    • Boot in OFOX metadata;
    • Flash the rom zip;
    • Flash ofox zip, it will automatically reboot the phone to ofox after the flashing is done;
    • Flash gapps (ONLY IF THE ROM IS WITH GAPPS ALREADY, MAKE SURE TO FLASH THE SAME ONE);
    • Flash magisk (Optional);

Sources and Documentation
    • ROM Source Code
    • Kernel Source

Created 2022-05-24
    Last Updated 2022-10-15

Screenshots:
    I would just like to say that I was a late comer to this phone and its been a long time sine I've had a decent phone I could BL unlock, root, and tweak to my geek hearts content. The information on this particular foru, is so spread out and contradicting, it was a bit disheartening, but I eventually took my Verizpm G7 from the original stock fw
    G710VM10f to LOS20 without a single issue, and I'd like to just relay the exact steps I took, just in case some one might find it helpful.

So, starting from 100% stock Verizon fw...

***CREATED BACKUPS***

and then:

1. Unlocked Bootlader - I followed the steps exactly, skipping 15-23

2. Crossflashed to g710em30f - LGUP DUAL or any LG UP with Partition DL option is acceptable.

3. Added OrangeFox | LineageOS 20 | MindTheGapps to my SD Card.

4. Rebooted into EDL

5. Used QFIL to flash ofox_metadata.img to boot_a and boot_b

6. Rebooted into OF recovery and did a full format and typed 'YES'.

7. Flashed LineageOS .zip (DO NOT REBOOT)

8. Flashed OrangeFox-R11.0_2.3-Stable-judyln.zip (Reboots to recovery automatically)

9. Flashed MindTheGapps

10. Flashed Magisk (Using OrangeFox built-in method)

11. OrangeFox Menu --> Manage Partitions --> Select Data --> Change FS --> F2FS

12. Reboot

13. PROFIT!

NOTE: I included my rooted boot img file just in case anyone needs it (30G EM FW)

I had to install the Magisk Manager upon completion of setup, but everything else went flawlessly, my service works just fine, all the other weird little issues I've seen people having were absent in my particular experience. So, follow my steps and I would imagine the same would be allowed for others. If there is any questions on specifics, I'd be happy to answer them. Also, its been a while since I've been active here, but hope all is well with everyone and glad to be back.

Good luck, and thank you for the wonderful ROM and I apologize for the 'hijack'!
    Hi TheArt,

Thanks for taking the time to write that reply.

I can see your point of view and I am glad you brought this up, because it is important to be aware of it and reminded of it.

I did some research about SElinux. It is a worthwhile and strong security enhancement.
    It seems though, that it is very complex to troubleshoot, hence some advocate switching it off (for sanity). So there are legitimate reasons to switch it off, even though it is much better to have it on.

In terms of limiting my own 'attack surface' -
    I never do banking on my mobile devices, or have any banking apps.
    I have not rooted the G7
    I don't have any Google apps, or use Play Store. I do use F-Droid almost exclusively, and occasionally sideload a few other apps, which I 'hope' I can trust.

I am not using this G7 as a daily driver yet, but was considering that. IMO its now running better than it ever did before, so i'm very keen to use this ROM, and really glad to have the G7 working so well. Thanks again to the guys that have made this :)

**The things that I would be concerned about keeping safe on my phone are: photos, email (K9), Signal messages, Keepass. If the device was compromised, would all of the above be available to an attacker? I guess they would. As Keepass is encrypted and needs a password every time, it might be safer?

**I was also thinking, as the security updates are so recent (July 2022), maybe its still more secure than the LG OS which hadn't seen an update since 2020?

I am keen to hear if anyone has any thoughts on the above.

Cheers for your help,
    Works now.

judyp and judypn available too (untested)
    Hi,

Could you expand please? Why is this critical?

XDA is full of advice on rooting / modding / altering original software / etc ...many of these activities throw up warnings. Unlocking the bootloader on the G7 itself throws up a warning on every reboot, despite the manufacturer allowing the unlock. So why do you advise against this SE Linux issue? And is the ROM ok if they can fix the issue?

It looks like you have been at XDA a long time. I am interested to have your input please.

Thank you!

Hi Tommy, I am on XDA since a while but I am not a dev, just a curious user. I contributed with some guides and other non coding stuff. Anyway, regarding SElinux, I too wasn't paying much attention to it until I start reading on this subject on the web. For instance you can start by reading this reddit discussion or use a search engine of your choice to look further.

Feel free to contribute and make selinux enforcing :D. Its not that big of a deal as long as you do not flash/install random things on your phone. Unlocking bootloader to begin with is a "security concern"

Emanuel, If I had the knowledge I would make if enforcing, but as I am just a guy concerned about security and privacy I wrote that opinion.

Of course I am still grateful that G7 is kept alive thanks to your effort with newer OS versions and security patches. My observation regarding SElinux state is a warning for users to be mindful of what they are installing on the most important device of their life (smartphone).

As I have installed ROMs for different devices, I noticed that custom ROMs can have SElinux on enforced mode. Bootloader unlock is another concern, sure. But 95% of the ROMs can't relock the bootloader (except for GrapheneOS and CalyxOS available only for a few devices, and DivestOS with some phones). In addition, having an unlocked bootloader is a security issue only if an unauthorized person gets physical access to your smartphone. Whereas SElinux helps protect you... from yourself basically. Sometimes we install things that are truly legitimate but they maybe altered by a phishing attack of even in PlayStore there are plenty of nasty stuff.

I wrote that comment because too often security aspects are being traded-off too much for other things. Overall installing custom ROMs is risky but a user should find a equilibrium there and try to risk as less as possible while gaining access to updates and latest security patches.

I started installing custom ROMs to improve performance of my potato-smartphone back in 2012. Then to get rid of Google. Then to keep an old device alive while still having decent level of security and privacy.