• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][MediapadM5][8.1] LineageOS 15.1

Search This thread

kev1807

Jan 17, 2011
Heidelberg
I am thinking about flashing ...
I have few questions:
1) is the annoying auto-brightness thing gone?
2) Does the official keyboard work
3) how about Pen features?

I really appreciate your work!

kev1807

Jan 17, 2011
Heidelberg
Alright, I tried it now:

Using Lineage, I cannot use the Enter-button on original keyboard for the "enter"-function. it goes straight back to homescreen. I cannot use Button Mapper to remap the button, as it goes back to the Homescreen.

Also, I cannot find any way of using fingerprint gestures, so I went back to OmniRom, which neither is perfect

Ardito

Oct 12, 2007
Piacenza
Alright, I tried it now:

Using Lineage, I cannot use the Enter-button on original keyboard for the "enter"-function. it goes straight back to homescreen. I cannot use Button Mapper to remap the button, as it goes back to the Homescreen.

Also, I cannot find any way of using fingerprint gestures, so I went back to OmniRom, which neither is perfect
Have you tried this one? It's not the same as the OpenKirin's one...

Tralien

Oct 13, 2015
Are there any other Roms for the m5? Found only this one...
This one seems to be dead?
Bought the tablet yesterday to replace my LG tab

Last edited:

massima

Nov 7, 2014
Are there any other Roms for the m5? Found only this one...
This one seems to be dead?
Bought the tablet yesterday to replace my LG tab

The M5 is treble compatible so you can install any treble rom. I'm following the "phh treble" development for my M5, some devices can boot with the kirin architecture other not.

Chr1stOnABike

Aug 27, 2010
You have a few options.

Any treble ROM, but quite a few bugs
A rom from open Kirin (which doesn't reveal source code and has some concerning behaviour).

The openkirin roms are a mixed bag.

The omnirom seems best supported, but is very ameuterish (stupid spaceship sounds when charging, unreable notification colours, light green on white and other such supply stuff)

Lineage OS build, perhaps the best, but stuck on August release.

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth, for now
@scwabe93 You Da Man!! Error-free using your TWRP & LOS ROM—I mean, not a single hiccup, anywhere. In my vast experience with Android custom whatevers this is a very rare, and, certainly, welcome surprise.

I love that it has no G**gle crap, and, in fact, switched to this ROM from another custom ROM partly for this reason because my intention is to use µg (microG) to replace Google’s proprietary software.

>>>>>>>Has anyone successfully implemented the µg (microG) solution? <<<<<<<<<

I've successfully used µg (microG) on several devices in the past, but am having trouble getting it to work with this ROM/Huawei device.

WHAT I HAVE INSTALLED
-µg (microG) Services Core 0.2.6.13280
-µg (microG) Services Framework Proxy v0.1.0
-FakeGapps 2.0 [xposed module]

The µg (microG) Self-Check [see attch screenshot] AFAIK says I should be good to go, right?

However, all the several GSF-dependent apps I've tried out aren't working—they prompt for GSF install, or just don't even open.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

EDIT: I have no UnifiedNlp because I use nothing that needs it.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using XDA Labs

Attachments

• Screenshot_microG_Services_Core_20181210-090229.jpg
    Screenshot_microG_Services_Core_20181210-090229.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 866
Last edited:
Reactions: chrisbarr

Ivanbarker

Dec 3, 2012
I have installed this, but I ran into a bit of a problem. When I do a full wipe and format through TWRP I get the message "Unable to wipe Cache", and it says the wipe has failed. Is the cache partition encrypted or something weird along those lines? Any idea how to get the cache wiped?

pazzu

Mar 26, 2006
I have installed this, but I ran into a bit of a problem. When I do a full wipe and format through TWRP I get the message "Unable to wipe Cache", and it says the wipe has failed. Is the cache partition encrypted or something weird along those lines? Any idea how to get the cache wiped?
Same problem.
"Unable to wipe Cache." "Unable to wipe /cache"
In addition, when I tried to install the ROM, I got
"E1001: Failed to update system image. Updater process ended with ERROR: 7"
I have a Mediapad M5 LTE (SHT-AL09).

pazzu

Mar 26, 2006
Same problem.
"Unable to wipe Cache." "Unable to wipe /cache"
In addition, when I tried to install the ROM, I got
"E1001: Failed to update system image. Updater process ended with ERROR: 7"
I have a Mediapad M5 LTE (SHT-AL09).

It seems that my Mediapad M5 LTE (SHT-AL09) has problems with the TWRP from @schwabe93
I used another TWRP https://forum.xda-developers.com/honor-view-10/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-t3769917 and I was able to wipe /cache.
Using the TWRP from @Pretoriano80, I was not able to flash LineageOS from @schwabe93 either. I got this error: E3004: this package is for device: mediapadm5,hi3660, this device is kirin970

I tried the LineageOS build from https://openkirin.net/download which works better. For the record, I had to uncompress the image on the PC, then transfer to SD card. TWRP install as an image ("system" partition only.) Most things work except the magnet cover doesn't turn off the device, and (the big problem) I am not able to run the TWRP anymore. It just shows the splash screen then hangs. I wonder if that's because the data partition is now encrypted.

Anyway. This is my, ahem, journey so far:
* Unlock bootloader ( https://global-unlocking-solutions.miiduu.com/bootloader-unlock-codes-choose-model-below )
* Install TWRP from @schwabe93
* Wipe most every partition, except /cache. /cache wouldn't wipe
* Could not install LineageOS from @schwabe93.
* Install TWRP from @Pretoriano80. Could wipe /cache just fine.
* Could not install LineageOS from @schwabe93 under the new TWRP
* Could install LineageOS from https://openkirin.net/download. But I can't launch the TWRP again. Will be trying to find solutions.

Edit- tried to switch between the two TWRP's to install the OpenKirin LineageOS rom. Have bootloop and could not recover. About to turn back to stock ROM.

Last edited:

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth, for now
It seems that my Mediapad M5 LTE (SHT-AL09) has problems with the TWRP from @schwabe93
I used another TWRP https://forum.xda-developers.com/honor-view-10/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-t3769917 and I was able to wipe /cache.
Using the TWRP from @Pretoriano80, I was not able to flash LineageOS from @schwabe93 either. I got this error: E3004: this package is for device: mediapadm5,hi3660, this device is kirin970

I tried the LineageOS ..... Will be trying to find solutions.

Edit- tried to switch between the two TWRP's to install the OpenKirin LineageOS rom. Have bootloop and could not recover. About to turn back to stock ROM.
Although I have the Mediapad M5 SHT-W09 (C567) version, you might find some helpful info here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mediapad-m5/how-to/guide-huawei-mediapad-m5-success-story-t3880566

For the record, I tried @Pretoriano80's TWRP first but never got past the flash screen. Been using @schwabe93's TWRP with same issue of not wiping "Cache". Thinking about extreme measures using adb & my laptop-more research first, though ?

Last edited:
Reactions: pazzu

ms6020

Sep 7, 2017
Huawei Mediapad M5 8.4" -- Android Pie 9.0 (LineageOS 16.0)

Are there any plans to create a Pie image? I've got an wifi M5 (SHT-W09) running a beta of the official Huawei Pie (9.0) build, but I don't want to stay on Huawei firmware. US authorities have said many times that Huawei software is bugged and setup to send data streams back to China, so I'd prefer to run LineageOS. That, plus I'm not a fan of bloatware from any manufacturer, so I prefer the slim LineageOS.

I'll load LineageOS 15.1 (Oreo 8.1) if I have to, but I'd prefer a more updated build of LineageOS 16.0 (Pie 9.0). Thanks!

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/huawe...update-for-mediapad-m5-with-emui-9-0-onboard/

pazzu

Mar 26, 2006
Although I have the Mediapad M5 SHT-W09 (C567) version, you might find some helpful info here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mediapad-m5/how-to/guide-huawei-mediapad-m5-success-story-t3880566

For the record, I tried @Pretoriano80's TWRP first but never got past the flash screen. Been using @schwabe93's TWRP with same issue of not wiping "Cache". Thinking about extreme measures using adb & my laptop-more research first, though

Thanks! I have written up my "success story" on https://forum.xda-developers.com/mediapad-m5/how-to/guide-huawei-mediapad-m5-success-story-t3880566
Huawei really doesn't want to make this easy. And the fact that it keeps pushing the ROM update to you relentlessly just pisses me off. Oh, and you'd like me to get a Huawei ID just to enable adb debugger? GRRR. So glad I could get rid of the Huawei ROM on my device.

pazzu

Mar 26, 2006
Lineage 15.1 performed extremely well on my MediaPad 8.9 LTE. Graphics, audio all flawless. I suspect 16.0 would take a while to work out bugs and kinks.
The only thing 15.1 would not do is to detect that my (magnetic) cover is closed. But I can deal with that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1 (Oreo), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What's working :
    • Boots
    • Wifi
    • Bluetooth
    • Camera ( Videos And Photos )
    • Video Playback
    • Audio ( Record and Playback )
    • Sensors
    • GPS

What's not working :
    • You tell me :)

Instructions :
    • Make a Backup of your Internal Storage
    • Download the latest build and gapps
    • Flash my TWRP Build
    • Make a full Wipe if you coming from StockRom, then Format Data (Attention this will wipe your Internal Storage)
    • Reboot to recovery
    • Flash my Remove Encryption file: Download if you want to backup your data afterwards when you installed LineageOS
    • Flash the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops and /sys/fs/pstore/dmesg-ramoops-0. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][UNOFFICIAL][MediapadM5][8.1] LineageOS 15.1, ROM for the Huawei MediaPad M5

Contributors
    schwabe93
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo

Version Information

Created 2018-07-08
    Last Updated 2018-07-08
    I was unable to get this ROM to work with SHT-W09 (8" WIFI only, EU model). It got stuck in a boot loop. So I had to reload the stock firmware (it was painful to find a method).

I used the 'russian website' to find the link to the official Huawei firmware and downloaded from Huawei's servers. I took firmware 8.0.0.163 (It was published at a later date than 8.0.0.168 yet has a lower version number - wierd?) Double check that the firmware corresponds to your model SHT-W09/SHT-AL09 etc - I made this mistake. I guess that the region is also important - for EU I took C432.

To recover to stock firmware I used the TWRP ROM in schwabe93's other post (https://forum.xda-developers.com/mediapad-m5/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-2-1-t3813825). To reload the stock firmware I followed the instructions in Tutorial 2 https://forum.xda-developers.com/p10/how-to/guide-manual-updgrade-to-update-oreo-t3758286. I copied the oreoupdater folder to an external SD card which was formatted as exFAT. In TWRP file manager I also copied from the external SD to the root of the internal SD.

In TWRP I started the zip flash from the internal SD as per the tutorial 2 instructions. It rebooted and installed the 163 firmware.

I can't remember exactly what I did after the update was completed, but it was something along the lines of: rebooting several times, using the built in EMUI recovery to low level format, then reboot then clear cache then wipe data then reboot a few more times.

If the EMUI recovery doesn't work after installing the stock ROM then you can try using fastboot to reload the recovery from the img files that you extracted from the full firmware zip file i.e.:
    fastboot flash recovery_kernel RECOVERY_KERNEL.img
    fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img
    fastboot flash recovery_vbmeta RECOVERY_VBMETA.img

Hope this helps!

Also for the benefit of others, it took me a while to work this out:

Reboot - hold down the power button.
    Fastboot - As soon as it boots, and just before the mediapad screen, hold the volume down button WITH the USB cable connected.
    Recovery - Hold down the power button and volume up WITHOUT the USB cable connected.
    I thought so. That's the reason why I'll return my M5

It really is a piece of trash, this tablet, and **** Huawei for being ignorant greedy pricks, taking our community's hard work, and then stealing our personal property through bootloader locks. It should be illegal under right-to-repair and personal property ownership legislation. But, I digress.

You can fix the pixelation on the latest OmniROM builds by enabling "Disable HW overlays" in the developer options. Note the toggle isn't permanent; you'll need to do something with Magisk or use Tasker + Secure Settings (on boot) if you don't want to toggle it manually each time.
    Reserved

Telegram Group for MediapadM5:
    Join :)
    Can you send me the link to the RR rom download page, thanks.

https://openkirin.net/download/

It says beta but everything works and no crashing. This will work even with custom recovery even though the page instructions say use stock recovery