• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. To discuss, report bugs and other issues, use this thread.

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][N/O][F500,LS991,H81x,US991,VS986] LineageOS 15.1/14.1

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
Introduction

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.

Requirements
  • Your device need to be unlocked either officially (h815 international or h811) or by UsU
  • Your bootloader stack should be on MM 20p (20x for H811) or higher! (see FAQ #20 for how to upgrade your bootloader stack).
    .... and for your convenience I have even created TWRP flashable files for that here
  • in particular that means this thread is for:
    F500 (UsU'd)
    H810 (UsU'd)
    H811
    H812 (UsU'd)
    H815 (official unlocked or UsU'd)
    H819 (UsU'd)
    LS991 (UsU'd)
    US991 (UsU'd)
    VS986 (UsU'd)
  • Latest TWRP - PREVIEW build: click
  • Do a full Nandroid backup before doing anything!
Installation Instructions

1. This single very first step is for UsU'd devices only:
    If you have ever flashed the UsU baseband package: Clean flash the modem partition from your backup in TWRP.
    If you do not know if you ever flashed it simply flash your modem partition again and you can be sure. This can't do any harm.
    If you have no backup:
    - TWRP flashable MM modems (N might not work)
  2. Full clean install as described here (FAQ "#2") is highly recommended. DO NOT REPORT ISSUES when you have skipped that step!
  3. Flash LOS
  4. Optional: Flash GApps (8.1 - ARM64 for LOS 15.1, 7.1 - ARM64 for LOS 14.1) if you like
  5. Optional (if you want root): Flash the official LOS root-addon (addonsu-15.1-arm64-signed.zip or addonsu-14.1-arm64-signed.zip) or Magisk (do not report issues if you have Magisk installed though!)
  6. Boot (will take a bit on first boot!!!)
  7. Enjoy

For more detailed instructions, please see my website (thepiguy0.github.io/installing)

Update Instructions

To update from a previous version of my rom:
  • If it is an old version of the rom, it is recommended to do a clean flash - Be aware that your data will be deleted
  • If it is a relatively recent version, a dirty flash should be ok - wipe cache and dalvik cache and then flash on top of your current installation - This keeps all your files
Current Issues

For a current list of all issues including possible workarounds:

Summary (again check out the above linked issue tracker for a current state):
  • Bluetooth calling FIXED!
  • Flashlight icon on quick toggles FIXED!
  • SIM pin unlocking (Ril works, better to use an unlocked sim card for now) FIXED!
  • Magisk when encrypted - state UNKNOWN
  • Permissive SELinux FIXED!
  • Probably more undiscovered bugs
Downloads

Get the latest builds from steadfasterX's server
Get the legacy builds from my Google drive

Building from source

If you want to build this from source, follow the LG H815 build guide (replace H815 with H811 if needed). Immediately before the "repo sync" step, copy our local manifest (https://github.com/Suicide-Squirrel/local_manifests/blob/los-15.1/roomservice.xml) into the .repo/local_manifests/ folder. Now run repo sync.
Then miss out breakfast and proprietary files steps before continuing with Jack memory optimisations
Changelog

Go through the results here: click
older ones click here:

20/05/2018
  • WiFi Hotspot is now fixed
  • H811 audio is fixed
  • More audio enhancements behind the scenes
  • Increased performance in Titan Kernel
    28/04/2018
    • Audio is now fully working (with the exception of bluetooth calling)
    • Camera and screen recorder are now both fully fixed and work
    • Latest Lineage and Titan updates

• FAQ
    Will be added as the time goes.

Credits

@kessaras, @steadfasterX and the LineageOS team

Sources

Lineage source code - https://github.com/LineageOS/
    Device trees and kernel (forked from cypheros) - https://github.com/suicide-squirrel/
    Proprietary files - https://github.com/CypherOS/

PREVIOUS OP (for historical reasons)

Introduction

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.

Requirements
    • LG G4 H815/H811
    • Latest MM firmware for H811 and latest Nougat/MM firmware for H815
    • Latest official TWRP or the latest TWRP preview from steadfasterX's server - This prevents the error 7 from appearing
    • For UsU devices, follow @steadfasterX's instructions for TWRP
    Installation Instructions

1. Download appropriate zip for your device along with any additional modules such as gapps (arm64 android 8.1 needed)
    2. Recommended - Create a full nandroid backup to allow you to restore to your previous OS if needed
    3. Wipe system, data, cache and dalvik cache - Be aware that this WILL remove your currently installed OS and wipe your apps and most data
    4. Flash the lineage zip, followed immediately by gapps if applicable
    5. Reboot into system and wait for boot

For more detailed instructions, please see my website (thepiguy0.github.io/installing)

Update Instructions

To update from a previous version of my rom:
    • If it is an old version of the rom, it is recommended to do a clean flash - Be aware that your data will be deleted
    • If it is a relatively recent version, a dirty flash should be ok - wipe cache and dalvik cache and then flash on top of your current installation - This keeps all your files
    Current Issues

For a current list of all issues including possible workarounds:

Summary (again check out the above linked issue tracker for a current state):
    • Bluetooth calling
    • Flashlight icon on quick toggles
    • SIM pin unlocking (Ril works, better to use an unlocked sim card for now)
    • Magisk when encrypted
    • Permissive SELinux
    • Probably more undiscovered bugs
    Downloads

Get the latest builds from steadfasterX's server
    Get the legacy builds from my Google drive

Building from source

If you want to build this from source, follow the LG H815 build guide (replace H815 with H811 if needed). Immediately before the "repo sync" step, copy our local manifest (https://github.com/Suicide-Squirrel/local_manifests/blob/los-15.1/roomservice.xml) into the .repo/local_manifests/ folder. Now run repo sync.
    Then miss out breakfast and proprietary files steps before continuing with Jack memory optimisations
    Changelog
    20/05/2018
    • WiFi Hotspot is now fixed
    • H811 audio is fixed
    • More audio enhancements behind the scenes
    • Increased performance in Titan Kernel
      28/04/2018
      • Audio is now fully working (with the exception of bluetooth calling)
      • Camera and screen recorder are now both fully fixed and work
      • Latest Lineage and Titan updates

• XDA:DevDB Information
      LineageOS 14.1/15.1 for LG G4, ROM for the LG G4

Contributors
      ThePiGuy, steadfasterX, kessaras, berkantkz and LineageOS
      Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
      ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
      ROM Firmware Required: v20 (or higher for H815) bootloader and modem
      Based On: Lineage OS

Version Information
      Current Beta Version: 20180428
      Beta Release Date: 2018-04-28

Created 2018-04-26
      Last Updated 2019-12-22

Last edited:

sisssou

Feb 9, 2013
Paris
No luck with this ROM, impossible to update...
I gave it up and tried last LOS 16 : it's now faster that 14.1, very snappy and stable !
I will stick on this one now ;)
Thanks for all this work !

sdembiske

Jan 4, 2015
For those of you who may still be building this rom (8.1) for themselves. The latest version of the rom (built on September 12) appears to break the installation/flashing of the Open GApps zips. The Open GApps zips will install (after a full clean) without the rom being installed but when the rom is flashed first followed by the installation of the OpenGApps zip, it fails, hanging endlessley on the completing step. A workaround is to use the MindTheGapps zip referenced on LineageOS Wiki - Google Apps. - No problems with that one and while it is older, all the apps will update eventually to the latest.

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
Reminder

Check out my Telegram groups:
  • sfX Android -> for all questions around Android (i.e. not just LG G4): here
  • sfX Automation -> whenever I build something(i.e. not just LG G4 and will be used for TWRP, SHRP, LOS, /e/, ...): here

New 15.1 builds are cooking..

Progress: sfX Automation
Changelog: sfX Automation

Summary changelog:

• FIXING OTA update support. From this build on any next build can be downloaded Over The Air (OTA). So .. don't blame me. It is my first implementation of OTA support and so I encountered another issue which can only be solved by this new build.

• Platform Security Patch: 2020-10-05
.-

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
Reminder

• sfX Automation -> whenever I build something(i.e. not just LG G4 and will be used for TWRP, SHRP, LOS, /e/, ...): here

New 14.1 builds are cooking..

Summary changelog:

• FIXING OTA update support. From this build on any next build can be downloaded Over The Air (OTA). So .. don't blame me. It is my first implementation of OTA support and so I encountered another issue which can only be solved by this new build.

• Platform Security Patch: 2020-09-05 (latest avail atm)
.-

drasterlx

May 22, 2005
Reminder

New 15.1 builds are cooking..

Summary changelog:

• Platform Security Patch: 2020-10-05
.-
Made the update but give me problems.... at the start of the system.. then of linage logo... automatic message shutingdown .... tested rollback to previus version. but the same... so solved with clear reinstall... lucky i have backup of tools with titanium ..
can be a problem of the rom?
is better to move to 16?
Thanks

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
Made the update but give me problems.... at the start of the system.. then of linage logo... automatic message shutingdown .... tested rollback to previus version. but the same... so solved with clear reinstall... lucky i have backup of tools with titanium ..
can be a problem of the rom?
is better to move to 16?
Thanks
do you had opengapps installed before?
do you had magisk installed before?
OTA update or regular install?

.-

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
I followed
WIPE -> Advanced -> select: System + Cache
Flash the ROM
reflash root addon/magisk if you want root
reflash opengapps if you want to use Google crap
Do you run on the latest build now or a previous one?

Sent from my OnePlus 7T Pro using XDA Labs

sdembiske

Jan 4, 2015
latest build
Something to try ...

A (possible) workaround is to use the MindTheGapps zip referenced on LineageOS Wiki - Google Apps. - No problems with that one and while it is older, all the apps will update eventually to the latest.

While I build my own off the suicide squirrel/steadfasterX's github repos, I found the openGapps were presenting problems when flashed after the the latest rom versions were installed. The MindTheGapps version linked above solved it for me as the openGapps versions, any of them from any date, would not complete the install process. It sounds like the problem resides in flashing openGapps with the latest rom versions when the OTA update option was added., i.e., it may not be necessary to reinstall the openGapps when it has been previously installed. I haven't confirmed it yet but it seems to be a real possibility.

drasterlx

May 22, 2005
Something to try ...

A (possible) workaround is to use the MindTheGapps zip referenced on LineageOS Wiki - Google Apps. - No problems with that one and while it is older, all the apps will update eventually to the latest.

While I build my own off the suicide squirrel/steadfasterX's github repos, I found the openGapps were presenting problems when flashed after the the latest rom versions were installed. The MindTheGapps version linked above solved it for me as the openGapps versions, any of them from any date, would not complete the install process. It sounds like the problem resides in flashing openGapps with the latest rom versions when the OTA update option was added., i.e., it may not be necessary to reinstall the openGapps when it has been previously installed. I haven't confirmed it yet but it seems to be a real possibility.
So the idea is.. if someone want to update to last build dont need to install onemore time opengapps?? or need to install mindthegapps?

Thanks

kessaras

Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Athens
talk to @codeworkx.
if your commits you added are clean and crystal clear of what you did and you kept authorship, maybe you should update the official and get some logs to them to also help you.
Minor bugs of audio and maybe some props to make the camera function correctly are not hard bugs. Me i do not have the time sorry. I do not even have the time with AOSCP now that im working so much :/

belrik

Nov 25, 2010
Great job keeping LOS on this device. I'm holding on to it as I still find it fast and useful. :)
While there is a lens on the audio configuration it would be awesome to see this phone enabled for hires audio (up to 24bit / 192KHz) under LOS. I know people are skeptical of the difference but DAC is able to do this and it should simply be an edit of the relevant audio_policy_configuration.xml(?) file to enable the extra sound profiles above 16/48.

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
Is it trimming working with encryption ( fstrim -v /data ) without the error transport endpoint not connected?
Thanks!
I have no idea (give it a go if you want :))
Great job keeping LOS on this device. I'm holding on to it as I still find it fast and useful. :)
While there is a lens on the audio configuration it would be awesome to see this phone enabled for hires audio (up to 24bit / 192KHz) under LOS. I know people are skeptical of the difference but DAC is able to do this and it should simply be an edit of the relevant audio_policy_configuration.xml(?) file to enable the extra sound profiles above 16/48.
First things first, got to get the audio working in the first place :). And also, nobody seems to have seen the error that it kicks out in the logcat, so it might take a while to get it working - I'll try porting the cm-14.1 trees to lineage-15.1 rather than porting oreo cypheros trees to see if that makes a difference

kessaras

Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Athens
All in the title post above (under Current Issues). Basically audio is fully broken (so this is purely testing at the moment - not suitable for a daily driver), camera is broken along with the lineage voice and screen recorder crashing.
All camera apps ? Even Google s ?
If Google's work, then it's just a prop.
Also yes that's normal since Los uses snap and maybe it needs different props , it may needs a couple different things to call for build and some overlay settings in a config.

The other Los developers should already know how to make this work since they have ported many phones.
Me I never developed in los, I don't know.

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
All camera apps ? Even Google s ?
If Google's work, then it's just a prop.
Also yes that's normal since Los uses snap and maybe it needs different props , it may needs a couple different things to call for build and some overlay settings in a config.

The other Los developers should already know how to make this work since they have ported many phones.
Me I never developed in los, I don't know.
I haven't tested any others yet. I'm mainly focusing on the audio at the moment :)

Reactions: Netsab

berkantkz

Recognized Developer
Apr 7, 2014
berkantkz.github.io
Hi,

Even though I'm not quite experienced, I'd like to join the development of this rom. Right after installing it on my device and reading the logcat, I've partially fixed the audio problem. I've also created a pull request and given enough information on GitHub repository.

Edit: Full message from GitHub

These missing files which had to be under "/system/vendor/etc" folder lead to crashes on the apps which use sound. By placing them to where they have to be, crashes on music player when trying to play any music and video recording are fixed. Although there has been no sound yet, these changes are required in order to prevent crashes.

Also, there may be another way in order to fix crashes instead of doing these changes. It is to edit the paths to "/system/etc/" as the files are already placed there.

I guess the lines for "/system/etc" can be removed as well but I am not sure if there are any system part that uses this directory. It's better to let them stay under "/system/etc" as well.

Additional message:

These changes also fixed handset and earphones. The handset is working on calls and earphones work on video/music now. However, the speaker still doesn't work. Video recording works as well as the built-in microphone does.

Additional message 2:

From now on, neither audio nor screen recorder crash. Both work well.

Last edited:

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
Hi,

Even though I'm not quite experienced, I'd like to join development of this rom. Right after installing it on my device and reading the logcat, I've partially fixed the audio problem. I've also created a pull request and given enough information on GitHub repository.
Brilliant!!! Thanks :) Don't worry about not being experienced - this is my first proper project at getting a rom going, so I'm learning as well