[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][owens] LineageOS 14.1 for Moto E4 Plus (Qualcomm)

Search This thread

SeanStar

Jun 16, 2011
I've updated the unofficial ROM for LineageOS 14.1 on the Moto E4 Plus (Qualcomm).
CDMA Carriers such as Verizon, Sprint, Boost, and possibly more now working fully, mms and all with no gimmicks!

Known Working:
  • Sound
  • Camera
  • GPS
  • Gyroscope
  • Bluetooth
  • Fingerprint Scanner
  • Wifi
  • CDMA Carriers, Verizon, Sprint, Boost, and possibly more!
  • FMRadio NEW!

Prerequisites:
  • Unlocked Bootloader
  • TWRP Recovery for Moto E4 Plus (Qualcomm)
  • Stock ROM installed to your device, for mobile data provisioning.

Installation:
  1. Have stock ROM installed and data provisioned correctly. This is an important step to have any chance of LTE working for your device.
  2. Download ROM zip below and move to external sd storage
  3. Boot into TWRP recovery and make a backup of stock if you wish.
  4. Wipe cache, system, and data.
  5. Flash the lineage ROM zip provided on this thread.
  6. Wipe cache/dalvik and reboot system.
  7. Complete setup.

March 6th 2018:
FM Radio added! Hotspot fixed for Sprint and Sprint MVNO's (Boost)! CMActions coming soon!

Download March 6th 2018 Build
Download March 6th 2018 Build Mirror

XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOS 14.1 for Moto E4 Plus (Qualcomm), ROM for the Moto E4 Plus

Contributors
SeanStar, squid2
Source Code: https://github.com/MotoOwensDevel

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2018-01-12
Last Updated 2018-03-17

Last edited:

soaringowl2145

Dec 24, 2016
Take a look at the downloads tab of the project. There is a build available.

You may want to put the download link in the OP so that those using one of the XDA apps can access it easier as there is no download tab in the app.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Take a look at the downloads tab of the project. There is a build available.

Also is selinux enforcing?

Cleanser2012

Aug 2, 2012
Chicago
This ROM actually sim unlocked your phone?

Yes, calls and text messages seem to work fine, mms as well. I don't have data on the sim I'm using so can't test that. I noticed the last lineage build by ReimuHakurei had sim unlocked it for messages at least but calls wouldnt work. Im assuming calls didnt work because sound didnt work on that build. I had flashed the stock firmware from the unlocked version onto my boost version hoping it would unlock it but it didnt. So far this build everything is working really well

Reactions: jasonmerc

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Moto G8
Yes, calls and text messages seem to work fine, mms as well. I don't have data on the sim I'm using so can't test that. I noticed the last lineage build by ReimuHakurei had sim unlocked it for messages at least but calls wouldnt work. Im assuming calls didnt work because sound didnt work on that build. I had flashed the stock firmware from the unlocked version onto my boost version hoping it would unlock it but it didnt. So far this build everything is working really well
Good to hear. Owens is a great device, I'm glad you now have some stable trees to continue development with. As a matter of fact, I'm in the process of porting another ROM for this here.

Cleanser2012

Aug 2, 2012
Chicago
Only thing not working for me is videos so far. YouTube will work on the website but not the app. Snapchat videos also aren't playing for me. Sound works but no video. Anyone else having this issue?

Reactions: SeanStar

SeanStar

Jun 16, 2011
Only thing not working for me is videos so far. YouTube will work on the website but not the app. Snapchat videos also aren't playing for me. Sound works but no video. Anyone else having this issue?
Thank you for reporting this, I'm looking into it now.
edit:
Seems to be a build.prop issue, I'm fixing it now.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've updated the unofficial ROM for LineageOS 14.1 on the Moto E4 Plus (Qualcomm).
    CDMA Carriers such as Verizon, Sprint, Boost, and possibly more now working fully, mms and all with no gimmicks!

Known Working:
    • Sound
    • Camera
    • GPS
    • Gyroscope
    • Bluetooth
    • Fingerprint Scanner
    • Wifi
    • CDMA Carriers, Verizon, Sprint, Boost, and possibly more!
    • FMRadio NEW!

Prerequisites:
    • Unlocked Bootloader
    • TWRP Recovery for Moto E4 Plus (Qualcomm)
    • Stock ROM installed to your device, for mobile data provisioning.

Installation:
    1. Have stock ROM installed and data provisioned correctly. This is an important step to have any chance of LTE working for your device.
    2. Download ROM zip below and move to external sd storage
    3. Boot into TWRP recovery and make a backup of stock if you wish.
    4. Wipe cache, system, and data.
    5. Flash the lineage ROM zip provided on this thread.
    6. Wipe cache/dalvik and reboot system.
    7. Complete setup.

March 6th 2018:
    FM Radio added! Hotspot fixed for Sprint and Sprint MVNO's (Boost)! CMActions coming soon!

Download March 6th 2018 Build
    Download March 6th 2018 Build Mirror

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 14.1 for Moto E4 Plus (Qualcomm), ROM for the Moto E4 Plus

Contributors
    SeanStar, squid2
    Source Code: https://github.com/MotoOwensDevel

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2018-01-12
    Last Updated 2018-03-17
    Yeah.. He advertised taking over his Oreo project and then dropped off the radar, hope everything's alright

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Oh okay. Yeah he had some talent I hope he's okay.

Hmm, I really wonder what happened to @SeanStar. I really do think something is not right.

I ended up in the hospital for a while recently due to an abscess/crohn's disease flareup, ended up losing 25 pounds or so over the course of a month while working full time (and was too fatigued/tired to do much of anything except for my job, until it got to the point where I wasn't even able to work). Unfortunately, it took a while to figure out the severity of the issue and get on a working treatment, on top of issues with my insurance before eventually getting hospitalized for a somewhat extended stay and improving. At the moment I'm still recovering from it, but the good news is I'm doing much better. With all of this new free time I have at home (hooked up to IV nutrition TPN for 12 hours of my day), I have the opportunity to continue with the Oreo project where I left off, or look into possibly doing one of the newer android releases at this point and skipping over Oreo. Whatever the case, I'll have a repository up for whichever route I end up taking. Moto E4 Plus is still my daily use device. Having not looked at the project in a while, it may take a bit to continue where I left off. I apologize to anyone that was anticipating the release of the Oreo source code I was working on months back, my health was already declining at that point (though I fully intended to release, at least, something; I had standards that I wanted to meet before doing so, to make it easier/less of a mess for others to contribute on or take over)
    The goal of @SeanStar is to bring up Lineage 15.1 now. Hopefully after that we can make 15.1 official to get automated builds on a weekly basis.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Would official Lineage even support Magisk?
    That is correct. I've been busier lately but I now have a boost variant of the Moto E4 Plus (XT1776) that I picked up from Boost Mobile's website for 67 dollars (plus shipping), that should speed up development. Magisk should work fine on official Lineage. (The charter specifies that you get everything working as close to stock as possible for official builds, including enabling encryption by default, among other things. I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't work while following these guidelines.)

Has he made any of his work on lineage 15.1 available so far?
    I have not, and the reason for this is simply because I don't want to upload or make available an incomplete project. This is mainly because of the inevitable slurry of private messages or contact being made in regards to the project that I would rather not have to deal with. The little free time I have had as of late is better spent bringing it to completion. I am still currently working on it, I ask anyone curious about inquiring on the status of the project to remain as patient as you guys have done thus far, as I would rather not commit to any kind of promise for a release date or timeline. At the very least, you can rest assure that my free time will increase dramatically again after the next couple weeks, so perhaps it won't be too long after.

Hold tight, and check back every now and then; I will continue to reply and answer questions should they remain short and concise.
    New build available. I'll post on the OP when XDA lets me upload to the DevDB.. seems completely broken right now.
    Uses stock provision app for sprint and other carriers, confirmed working mms on both Sprint and Boost. May be broken on other carriers, please let me know if it's not working for your carrier and I'll try to get it working, though you may have to help me test a few builds and send me logs. I'm working on radio and VoLTE now, wish me luck.
    February 26th 2018 Build Mirror
    I think I've figured something out. I was having problems with MMS not working with verizon, as in, unable to send picture text messages or messages over 160 characters. Looking at my APNs, it was obvious that they were different from stock.. I had 5 listings under APNs as opposed to stock only having one. Having tried to get stock APNs working before, I was unable to get it working past 3G, but I've now fixed it somehow. I took a look at surnia and noticed they were setting model numbers and stuff in the init, I still have no idea if this is related, but I updated some lineage things so the build would reflect that of stock exactly (model number, product name, that sort of thing). I then updated my moto_init to reflect that of stock better, changing cdma_properties a bit, changing init settings for retail/retus. I then made sure that the apns-conf.xml had only 5 of the official verizon APNs from stock in my build. I installed stock rom on my phone to provision data, and then installed this new build in a clean install. When I booted the rom, I did not have data, but I noticed that different than before, I actually had the stock APN under my APNs in settings! I reset to default the APNs and it still showed the stock APN. After about 3-5 minutes it was able to connect and I had full LTE service with mms working and my phone number showing in settings under Phone status > Status > SIM status, which had previously been "Unknown". It's safe to say that I have my carrier fully working now.

EDIT: I've made a new additional related discovery. It isn't simply waiting that triggers the LTE service, it was something that I did while messing around with it. You may need to select LTE from preferred network type and then a new menu option will become available called "Carrier settings" at the bottom. Clicking that will make a popup that says com.android.phone has stopped, at which point clicking Open app again seems to allow LTE to connect.. I'm looking into this. It may be related to the phone service.. Also, this seems to persist through a reboot if you select Global in the preferred network type list after you do this.

Edit: I'm adding Boost/Sprint APNs to this build along with Verizon, so that users with those carriers can test it.
    Instructions for testing this:
    1. Install stock rom and provision data, and take a look at the stock APN under settings. Write it down and report on this thread what it is and your carrier and model number, regardless of if this rom ends up working.
    2. Boot into TWRP and wipe cache, system, data.
    3. Install this new build of the rom when I finish uploading it. I'll link it below when it's done uploading.
    4. Reboot into the rom
    5. Go through setup, and then check APNs under settings.
    6. If you have the stock APN listed, report it in this thread! I believe this is important to getting it working.
    7. Go back once and select LTE from Preferred Network Type. Then tap the new menu option at the bottom "Carrier settings"
    8. A popup will show "com.android.phone has stopped working", tap "Open app again"
    9. Select Global from the Preferred Network Type list.
    10. It should instantly connect after a few seconds, report back on this thread if you were or were not able to get it working.

01/23/2018 Build Download
    01/23/2018 Build Google Drive Mirror

Extended stock APNs download, may work OOB, if not follow same instructions:
    Download 01/23/2018 Build2 (With stock APNs!)
    Download 01/23/2018 Build2 Mirror