[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][Pixel Experience 11][Dragon][2021/02/13]

justinmeese

Mar 9, 2017
Many thanks to the work that went in to this... This really does run well on a Pixel C. With that being said, I am having an issue. I feel like I must have just overlooked a step and can't for the life of me figure it out. First, I have unlocked the bootloader, gotten all my drivers installed correctly in Windows. Where I am struggling is actually getting the device rooted. The only way for me to get into TWRP is do fastboot into it using the "fastboot boot twrp.img" command... and once there I can flash the Pixel Experience ROM. While I suppose everything is working, I am not actually rooted and every time I start the device it gives me the warning about my bootloader being unlocked. So each time I want to get into TWRP I have to do it through fastboot and it's super annoying.

What am I missing?

michie

Apr 15, 2007
Hasselt
And OTA updates. Would be even more convenient for the user.
True but you will have to wait 4 weeks or longer to update. I will look in to this later, no promises. Priority 1 is fixing the delay in chrome and play store apps.

Many thanks to the work that went in to this... This really does run well on a Pixel C. With that being said, I am having an issue. I feel like I must have just overlooked a step and can't for the life of me figure it out. First, I have unlocked the bootloader, gotten all my drivers installed correctly in Windows. Where I am struggling is actually getting the device rooted. The only way for me to get into TWRP is do fastboot into it using the "fastboot boot twrp.img" command... and once there I can flash the Pixel Experience ROM. While I suppose everything is working, I am not actually rooted and every time I start the device it gives me the warning about my bootloader being unlocked. So each time I want to get into TWRP I have to do it through fastboot and it's super annoying.

What am I missing?
When in fastboot, the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" should flash twrp permanently. You can always try installing it manually in TWRP using the GUI buttons: install > install images > recovery. The warning concerning the bootloader is normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnLongwood

justinmeese

Mar 9, 2017
When in fastboot, the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" should flash twrp permanently. You can always try installing it manually in TWRP using the GUI buttons: install > install images > recovery. The warning concerning the bootloader is normal.
Thanks for the help! Like I thought, I was simply overlooking something small and doing it over and over again with the same result. I was only booting TWRP instead of flashing it. :rolleyes:

One more question if you have a second to respond. I have the bootloader unlocked and the Pixel Experience ROM installed and running. I DO NOT have it rooted though. Is there a practical reason why I would want to root it? What value would I get out of that step?

Thanks again for the support.

michie

Apr 15, 2007
Hasselt
Thanks for the help! Like I thought, I was simply overlooking something small and doing it over and over again with the same result. I was only booting TWRP instead of flashing it. :rolleyes:

One more question if you have a second to respond. I have the bootloader unlocked and the Pixel Experience ROM installed and running. I DO NOT have it rooted though. Is there a practical reason why I would want to root it? What value would I get out of that step?

Thanks again for the support.
I never root any of my devices unless I am developing for it. I would advise not to do so untill you come across some magisk module or mod that you may want/like. It can cause system instability in many cases.

Reactions: justinmeese

BeniS98

Apr 16, 2018
True but you will have to wait 4 weeks or longer to update. I will look in to this later, no promises. Priority 1 is fixing the delay in chrome and play store apps.
Thank you very much for your efforts to make this ROM possible and please keep on working on it! I really appreciate your work.

It would be very cool if you upload your tree to the official sources. It's not very convenient to boot TWRP every time a new build is released. And, additionally your builds will be downloadable from pixelexperience.org if you make it official.

lexyboy14

Apr 21, 2015
Thank you very much for this great ROM, the pixel c feels brand new. The only thing besides the slow Playstore and Chrome loading times I am facing, is that the keyboard seems to disconnects over time and the only workaround seems just removing it as a bluetooth device and re-add it.

justinmeese

Mar 9, 2017
Thank you very much for this great ROM, the pixel c feels brand new. The only thing besides the slow Playstore and Chrome loading times I am facing, is that the keyboard seems to disconnects over time and the only workaround seems just removing it as a bluetooth device and re-add it.
I can second that happening as well. The Pixel C I have is "new to me" so I wasn't sure if that was just how the keyboard worked or if there was something with the ROM. Not a deal breaker for me, but it would be cool to see it resolved.

Can't say enough good things as it relates to the PE ROM though.

BeniS98

Apr 16, 2018
I have sometimes the issue that I can't re-open apps which I put in the background before. If I want to switch back to the app by taping on it in the recent apps viewer the screen just stays gray. I have to close the app entirely by swiping it up in the recent apps viewer to get it open again. Has someone the same problem, especially with Telegram Messenger?

BeerMit

Aug 25, 2009
Larry-ville
Hey there, currently running PixelExperience10 on my C as I type this. Been using it for over a year now and pretty pleased with it. But I'm curious, can I flash an 11 build over my 10 build or is it more advisable to do a wipe then install?

Sorry if its a dumb question but its been a minute siunce I last did this.

justinmeese

Mar 9, 2017
Not sure what the proper way to submit found bugs, so my apologies if this isn't the correct way.

1) When casting from an app like HBO max for example, the system casts just fine. However, when you go to the quick pulldown menu and choose to screen cast your device to another device on your network it fails. It almost does like a quick reboot where the Google logo comes back up on the screen. Maybe the Google service is crashing and restarting... not sure but I am able to reproduce it regularly. I notice that the device I am casting to the screen goes blank for a moment and then hangs for a bit until the tablet comes back up and a few more seconds pass. Not sure if that is of any help.

2) When configuring Routines in the Home app I have found that when choosing "Adjust lights, plugs , and more" in the "This Routine will" section... the "Done" button doesn't stay at the bottom of the screen but instead stays over the top of your lists of plugs, lights and other devices. I have attached an image to demonstrate this one since it's a bit harder to describe.
Screenshot_20210116-101549.png

michie

Apr 15, 2007
Hasselt
I will check this but unfortunatly I don't have any bluetooth keyboard to reproduce the issue. Is it possible to provide me a logcat?

I have sometimes the issue that I can't re-open apps which I put in the background before. If I want to switch back to the app by taping on it in the recent apps viewer the screen just stays gray. I have to close the app entirely by swiping it up in the recent apps viewer to get it open again. Has someone the same problem, especially with Telegram Messenger?
I would like to wait and see if this issue is still present in the stable branch of PE.

Hey there, currently running PixelExperience10 on my C as I type this. Been using it for over a year now and pretty pleased with it. But I'm curious, can I flash an 11 build over my 10 build or is it more advisable to do a wipe then install?

Sorry if its a dumb question but its been a minute siunce I last did this.
Sorry for the late answer, your message got lost :) It's always advised to do a clean instal when upgrading to a major version.

Not sure what the proper way to submit found bugs, so my apologies if this isn't the correct way.

1) When casting from an app like HBO max for example, the system casts just fine. However, when you go to the quick pulldown menu and choose to screen cast your device to another device on your network it fails. It almost does like a quick reboot where the Google logo comes back up on the screen. Maybe the Google service is crashing and restarting... not sure but I am able to reproduce it regularly. I notice that the device I am casting to the screen goes blank for a moment and then hangs for a bit until the tablet comes back up and a few more seconds pass. Not sure if that is of any help.

2) When configuring Routines in the Home app I have found that when choosing "Adjust lights, plugs , and more" in the "This Routine will" section... the "Done" button doesn't stay at the bottom of the screen but instead stays over the top of your lists of plugs, lights and other devices. I have attached an image to demonstrate this one since it's a bit harder to describe.
1. I will try to reproduce this. Could you start logging (adb logcat > log.txt) and reproduce, then send me the log file please?
2. I would like to wait and see if this issue is still present in the stable branch of PE.