[ROM] [13.0] [Dragon] Pixel Experience Plus [UNOFFICIAL]

Search This thread

Zapablast05

Dec 22, 2020
California
oh man. how in the world did you manage to get the custom 'PixelExperience.." to flash onto the C? and you had it working? i hate to be a pest, but can you direct me to some resources that would help me get to where you are in your phase of pixel c development?

Hey sorry it's been a while. What I did was follow only part of the instructions in the Pixel C General subforum: https://xdaforums.com/t/...covery-and-root-the-pixel-c-2-4-2016.3307183/

I essentially installed the fastboot drivers and used the Wugfresh Nexus Root Toolkit. Within the Wugfresh tool, I followed the guide from start to end including installing the newest version of TWRP offered in the tool kit (this is temporary). For the ROM install, I left the stock unlocked ROM.

---The following process is a blurred memory after much troubleshooting---

I booted back into the Pixel C and downloaded the latest version of TWRP. I booted into recovery and flashed the latest version of TWRP. Now, if this method doesn't work then you might have to reboot into fastboot and push the new TWRP version. I can't recall which method I used because I spent about a week trying to find a working ROM and a working method.

---------------

After I successfully booted into the stock unlocked ROM, I downloaded @michie's PE ROM, and flashed via TWRP. I did a factory wipe in TWRP before flashing the ROM, then wiped dalvik/cache after the flash process completed. First boot took a bit but ended up successfully booting. I finished up the process by flashing Magisk and called it a day

Last edited:

BeniS98

Apr 16, 2018
The issue with the laggy Gapps disappeared for me after I flashed this new build. Can anyone confirm this with his device too?

MorbidBrain

Dec 20, 2009
The issue with the laggy Gapps disappeared for me after I flashed this new build. Can anyone confirm this with his device too?
No, there are still lags when Chrome is started by another app. Nevertheless the performance is better as the HW acceleration seems to be turned on (with the known issues.)

BeniS98

Apr 16, 2018
No, there are still lags when Chrome is started by another app. Nevertheless the performance is better as the HW acceleration seems to be turned on (with the known issues.)
In case of Chrome, you are right. But the Play Store and YouTube does not have the lags anymore. They are opening almost instantly.

I have faced another issue: While at lock screen, my Pixel C does not turn into portrait mode. It stays in landscape mode. This is very annoying as I have to turn the tablet every time I want to type in the unlock password as I'm usually holding it like my smartphone. After unlock the automatic rotation works perfectly.

@michie Are you also planning to switch to 4.4 kernel?

b1ggjoe

@michie,

Just installed this ROM a few days ago. Came from this ROM here:

Bro, your ROM is awesome! Period. I almost gave up on my Pixel C...but it now has new life!!

A few quick questions:

- Right now, the Tablet is Un-Rooted. What is the recommended way to root this Tablet running your ROM?

- Also I'm currently running an older version of TWRP 3.2.3-0. Can you point me to a newer version of TWRP that you recommend for this device? My backups are failing with the infamous "createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255". However, before I begin to troubleshoot this, thought I would begin with upgrading TWRP.

- One feature that Google screwed us over with, was the ability to be able to use a bluetooth headset to make calls with the Pixel C over the internet (eg., Google Voice, WhatsApp, etc). I'm not sure the exact feature they limited, but I know it's been a common issue with many of the past custom ROMs for this device. As in, I don't believe this feature is even enabled with the Stock ROM.

As far as you're aware, is there any way to get this fixed?

Basically, I can have a bluetooth headset paired and connected, and have no audio issues listening to YouTube videos, Disney+, Hulu, Prime Video, YouTube TV and etc.

Even Zoom / Google Meet / Microsoft Teams meetings work perfectly.

But the minute I try to make a phone call via Google Voice or WhatsApp...when the call connects, it's like the bluetooth headset no longer works and I can only listen to the call via the Tablet speakers and when I speak, it only picks up my voice through the main Tablet mic.

Thank you in advance!!

BJ

Lostprophet85

Apr 17, 2018
I have faced another issue: While at lock screen, my Pixel C does not turn into portrait mode. It stays in landscape mode.

Up until Android 9 I solved this problem with root by editing the build.prop file like described here:

I cannot comment on whether this still works in Android 11 as I stopped using lock screens years ago. If you have root, I would give that a try.

RacerX29er

Apr 25, 2021
THANK YOU for this PE build! I LOVE my Pixel C, but I've grown increasingly uneasy with the lack of security updates for stock Android 8. I really like the Dragon build, particularly the inclusion of face recognition since Pixel C doesn't have a fingerprint reader.

The only MINOR issue I've encountered thus far is Play Store's insistence that Disney+ and Netflix are incompatible with the device, both of which worked fine when running Android 8. This may be related to embedded code that causes some applications to detect the tablet as a Pixel 5 (?!?!).

Fortunately I had no problem installing and running D+ and NF using versions from the Aptoide repository. Meanwhile, HBO Max, Paramount+, PBS Passport, and Prime Video installed without incident from Play Store. Go figure...

cdaley

Aug 25, 2009
Thanks for the work on the ROM!! I'm having an issue since updating to the newest version. If I try to root with Magisk, I can install the .apk but when I get to the part where I patch the image, it crashes. If I click on 'patch a boot image' it tries to open the old Android files app (the logo displays), a toast notification says to select a tar or img file, but then it quickly crashes. I had it rooted with the previous PE release. I'm trying to patch the boot.img through Magisk so I can install via TWRP as I've always done. Any ideas?? I've cleared cache/data/uninstalled. UNinstallled Webiew updates (someone suggested this could be an issue). Same result. Thanks!!

calling_xda

Apr 28, 2016
Just installed this on my Pixel C which was rooted and running a custom ROM several years ago but has been stock since then. Fastboot from a Windows 10 laptop was used to install the latest version of TWRP for the Pixel C. Then TWRP was used for factory reset and ROM installation. The Pixel C got hung at this point, not rebooting to the OS. After a reboot to TWRP, another factory reset, and reinstallation of the ROM, it is running well. After confirming that, the latest version of the Magisk .zip file was installed using TWRP. There was no problem with that either. This is a really nice upgrade to Android 8.1. Thanks for all your efforts.

a8ksh4

Nov 11, 2010
Google Pixel 8
Thanks for the work on the ROM!! I'm having an issue since updating to the newest version. If I try to root with Magisk, I can install the .apk but when I get to the part where I patch the image, it crashes. If I click on 'patch a boot image' it tries to open the old Android files app (the logo displays), a toast notification says to select a tar or img file, but then it quickly crashes. I had it rooted with the previous PE release. I'm trying to patch the boot.img through Magisk so I can install via TWRP as I've always done. Any ideas?? I've cleared cache/data/uninstalled. UNinstallled Webiew updates (someone suggested this could be an issue). Same result. Thanks!!
You shouldn't need to patch the boot image ahead of time to install it in magisk. I think the boot image thing is only it you're going to flash that from fastboot. Just change the extension of the magisk package to .zip, install it from twrp, then reboot and install the apk. Should be all good after that.

-=CRANK=-

Aug 27, 2011
Moscow
Thank you for great work!
It works) but why Chrome launch so slowly?
In PE 10 it works much faster
And one more bug (?) - in Google account devices it's named Pixel 5 :)

Last edited:

haabingaa

Aug 13, 2009
Hello,

So this rom runs great but I am noticing that the built in file manager (not Files by Google but the Android File Manager) crashes on launch. This is hindering my ability to, for example, install a trusted SSL certificate from the "Settings > Security > Encryption > Install a Certificate" menu. Any chance there is either a side-loadable update or the chance of a patch being available in your next build?

Speaking of next build, when can we expect one? I'm loving it and am looking forward to further updates. The Pixel C was axed too soon in my opinion and you're breathing new life into this thing.

bc Yume

Hello,

So this rom runs great but I am noticing that the built in file manager (not Files by Google but the Android File Manager) crashes on launch. This is hindering my ability to, for example, install a trusted SSL certificate from the "Settings > Security > Encryption > Install a Certificate" menu. Any chance there is either a side-loadable update or the chance of a patch being available in your next build?

Speaking of next build, when can we expect one? I'm loving it and am looking forward to further updates. The Pixel C was axed too soon in my opinion and you're breathing new life into this thing.
You can try disabling the system file manager and use a third-party file manager (for example, MiXplorer) instead to mitigate the problem for now.

That's what I'm doing currently.

Reactions: thetample

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GtwTyCR.png

PixelExperience Plus for Pixel C [Dragon]

What is this?

Pixel Experience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies
    (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, bootanimation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 13.0

Known issues

Camera
    Webview based browsers won't play videos
    Use a browser like firefox as a workaround (SW Codecs)
    SELinux is permissive

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, ALREADY INCLUDED
    Download

XDA evDB Information
    PixelExperience Plus 13.0, ROM for the Pixel C

Contributors

@michie

Source Code:
    https://github.com/ThaMichie

ROM OS Version: Android 13.0
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Stable
    Build with this months security patch will be delayed. I'm rebuilding the entire dragon device tree from scratch and implementing shield stuff.

Upcoming build will be stable PE11.
    Android 12 build is up!
    I will upload a new build based on Android 12.1 (12L) this week. Spent a lot of time on this update :)

Changelog:

Kernel:
    - Built with Linaro toolchain
    - Ported PM Quality Of Service Interface
    - Ported Tegra (Shield) Cpufreq driver
    - Ported Tegra (Shield) Cpuquiet driver
    - Ported Tegra (Shield) Power driver
    - Ported Tegra (Shield) CF touch boost driver

Device:
    - Ported Shield Power HAL (Fixed CPU UI composition performance)
    - Ported Shield Light HAL (More features for LED Bar, Fixed auto brightness)
    - Ported Shield Power Hint Service
    - Switched to HWC2
    - Enabled Night-Light

Camera is not fixed yet.

Edit: Build will be delayed a bit. The new 12L taskbar is buggy...

Edit 2: New build is up! Taskbar is still buggy but its not a device specific problem, will be fixed.
    It's a slow proces but ill make a build with the old tree anyway of their stable branch in the coming days

Edit: New build is up