[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][Q/A10][SM-J530F] /e/ OS for Samsung J5 2017 (j5y17lte) - BYE Google, HELLO Privacy!

Search This thread

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
New release! 🎉 🥳

UNOFFICIAL = DONE
CUSTOM = DONE

Normally I do not provide changelogs besides from my TG Automation channel but this one is important so I drop a note here, too.

first of all I've changed the versioning back to /e/ standards. I've used "v1-0" in the past as I thought that will happen soon (lol) and as its used by them as the most recent branch names (e.g. v1-q). To get a better understanding of which exact version you get (and be able to identify the matching official /e/ changelogs) I will use what they use (atm of writing: v0.15). Due to this versioning change the newest update will not popup as an OTA but you can manually search for an update in the updater and find + download the latest 0.15 release there (then you have to boot to TWRP and flash it manually though!). Ensure you have read the rest before doing so!

the other big change is disk encryption. WAIT! read-on even if you have never enabled that or never want to do so! In my previous (non-enforcing) builds FDE (Full Disk Encryption) has been used. This approach is deprecated by FBE (File Based Encryption) and so FBE has been enabled from this build on. Other then FDE - FBE does not allow to choose so as soon as you flash and boot it will encrypt automatically. no worries this has almost zero impact on anything (but hey it protects your data!!). the only thing which you need to do is upgrading SHRP/TWRP! The recovery cannot decrypt /data and if you do not upgrade to my latest releases it will just stay on a black screen (Samsung Exynos is a pita when it comes to this).

and the last major one: I have enabled CUSTOM builds again. The reason is we are very close to OFFICIAL builds. I personally like to have F-Droid, Aurora and so on already included in the ROM so I will continue doing CUSTOM builds including OTA support as well. The major diff is that some apps will be included in the ROM and "Apps" will be removed. Other then that will be identical. Until we reach the OFFICIAL state I will provide CUSTOM + UNOFFICIAL builds.

This build contains a ton of fixes including these:

• fixed torch (has been removed from /e/ standard builds so it is removed here as well)
  • fixed screen lock (PIN/Password/.. was not working)
  • fixed cam not working when in enforcing
  • fixed device encryption in enforcing
  • switched to FBE (auto encrypt on first boot)
  • fixed a shim issue with cam
  • fixed missing preview libs (no this does not solve the stretched cam preview)
  • fixed selinux denials for all the above + some more
  • fixed magnetometer / gyroscope sensors
  • fixed an issue after playing videos ("Can't play this video" after playback has finished)
  • .... more

Known issues:
  • As explained above you need the latest TWRP/SHRP recovery otherwise it would not load recovery
  • you HAVE to re-install /e/ and format data (which also removes FDE encryption obviously)
  • stretched preview in cam (no way to fix that - afaik)

Important note:

Especially as this update comes with a major change in disk encryption you should take care and do a full backup before upgrading! This should also include stuff on your internal storage as this is NOT included by TWRP/SHRP recovery.
REALLY: Better do a backup as suggested before - including your INTERNAL STORAGE! (this is NOT covered by a TWRP backup)

Other then that.. have fun with this (hopefully) most complete and working build ;) Special thanks to user "Anonyme" for the testing time ;)

EDIT:

TWRP is not ready yet. Pls use SHRP atm.

EDIT2:
TWRP build avail now (twrp-3.5.2_9-PREVIEW-271_j5y17lte.img)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021
Your ROM is great, but with the latest release I have the same problem as francescum's. In his words:

[...] I have a problem with the sound when I make calls. My interlocutor does not hear me and on my side the sound cuts.

[...]

When I push the touch speaker the call sound works but only 3 or 4 s, and if I re-push speaker touch it re-works, after push speaker touch sound re-works but cuts 3 or 4 s after.

On my SM-J530F I flashed stock version J530FXXS7CTF1 and I unlocked through the Developer Options menu. System is unrooted. Since the issue goes away when in permissive mode, I took two logcats. The first was taken during an incoming call with SELinux in enforcing mode. I switched the speaker alternatively on or off after each loss of sound. In this case the audio went off shortly after I answered the call, then I switched the speaker on and the audio went back on for a short while (1-2 s) before going off again, then I switched the speaker off and the audio went on for another short while, and so on:

SELinux enforcing: https://pastebin.com/s0AR9UDm

The other log was also taken during an incoming call, but this time SELinux had been set to permissive mode with "setenforce permissive". I switched the speaker on and off a few times as before, but in this case the audio never went off:

SELinux permissive: https://pastebin.com/JXQHqf27

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: steadfasterX

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
Your ROM is great, but with the latest release I have the same problem as francescum's. In his words:

On my SM-J530F I flashed stock version J530FXXS7CTF1 and I unlocked through the Developer Options menu. System is unrooted. Since the issue goes away when in permissive mode, I took two logcats. The first was taken during an incoming call with SELinux in enforcing mode. I switched the speaker alternatively on or off after each loss of sound. In this case the audio went off shortly after I answered the call, then I switched the speaker on and the audio went back on for a short while (1-2 s) before going off again, then I switched the speaker off and the audio went on for another short while, and so on:

SELinux enforcing: https://pastebin.com/s0AR9UDm

The other log was also taken during an incoming call, but this time SELinux had been set to permissive mode with "setenforce permissive". I switched the speaker on and off a few times as before, but in this case the audio never went off:

SELinux permissive: https://pastebin.com/JXQHqf27
Many thx this helps a lot

Reactions: Zubenelhakrabi

oturpe

Apr 4, 2021
Finland
This is great! For three years I have suffered every time I use my phone, simply from the realization that there is no way to kick Google out of it. Except now that is discovered /e/ and this ROM. A donation is coming your way.

Is there any reason why the e-1.0 download is still available on the server? People who do not read the whole thread (like me) may select it because 1.0 > 0.15, only to realize after flashing that they got an old version.

Reactions: steadfasterX

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
This is great! For three years I have suffered every time I use my phone, simply from the realization that there is no way to kick Google out of it. Except now that is discovered /e/ and this ROM. A donation is coming your way.

Is there any reason why the e-1.0 download is still available on the server? People who do not read the whole thread (like me) may select it because 1.0 > 0.15, only to realize after flashing that they got an old version.
there is no specific reason. older releases will be auto-deleted but only at specific schedules. but you are right 1.0 causes confusion here so I removed them manually. thx.

oturpe

Apr 4, 2021
Finland
there is no specific reason. older releases will be auto-deleted but only at specific schedules. but you are right 1.0 causes confusion here so I removed them manually. thx.
Nice, thanks.

I have now ran this ROM in my main & only phone for two days. Apart from the already reported issue with SELinux and phone call audio, I have discovered another problem. I am not sure if it is actually caused by the ROM, but I document it here just in case it turns out to be related.

First, disclaimer #1 is that I unfortunately had to start from non-supported stock ROM J530FXXS8CUB1. This was already on the phone and phone's Download mode refused to accept an older ROM, due to "Rev. check fail" when I was trying to upload. I was using Heimdall on Linux for the upload. Disclaimer #2 is that this is second time I have installed a ROM on a Phone and the previous time was years ago when I replaced Android 2.1 with CyanogenMod. So, it may be that I made some mistakes during the installation.

Anyhow, the problems is this: The standard Camera app from /e/OS takes photos just fine, but videos are corrupted somehow. Playback shows only a still image and video length is shown as 98 hours or something like that. Gallery app shows other videos just fine, and the corrupted videos cannot be played on laptop either, so the problem really happens when saving the video.

The workaround I discovered was to install the CameraMX app from Apps. Videos taken by it are also corrupted, *but* if its FX mode is enabled, videos are saved correctly. Even if no effects are enabled.

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
Nice, thanks.

I have now ran this ROM in my main & only phone for two days. Apart from the already reported issue with SELinux and phone call audio, I have discovered another problem. I am not sure if it is actually caused by the ROM, but I document it here just in case it turns out to be related.

First, disclaimer #1 is that I unfortunately had to start from non-supported stock ROM J530FXXS8CUB1. This was already on the phone and phone's Download mode refused to accept an older ROM, due to "Rev. check fail" when I was trying to upload. I was using Heimdall on Linux for the upload. Disclaimer #2 is that this is second time I have installed a ROM on a Phone and the previous time was years ago when I replaced Android 2.1 with CyanogenMod. So, it may be that I made some mistakes during the installation.

Anyhow, the problems is this: The standard Camera app from /e/OS takes photos just fine, but videos are corrupted somehow. Playback shows only a still image and video length is shown as 98 hours or something like that. Gallery app shows other videos just fine, and the corrupted videos cannot be played on laptop either, so the problem really happens when saving the video.

The workaround I discovered was to install the CameraMX app from Apps. Videos taken by it are also corrupted, *but* if its FX mode is enabled, videos are saved correctly. Even if no effects are enabled.
Pls follow FAQ #1 in the second post of this thread

Apr 3, 2021
By the way, SHRP is currently unable to backup the /data partition. I suspect this is due to the FBE implementation. Is there any way to address or circumvent this issue?

BoNt3k

Jun 7, 2007
Thanx for great rom!

whats the differences between Unofficial and Custom ?

Attachments

• 75857EEA-D351-4D8F-A04C-E6A0A57DC95B.png
    75857EEA-D351-4D8F-A04C-E6A0A57DC95B.png
    645.5 KB · Views: 13

BoNt3k

Jun 7, 2007
thanx bro. Will test

tested:
I found 1 issue:
after 3-4 seconds after recieving/calling other person via phone the ear speaker is not working.
If we swap between ear speaker to loud speaker then is ok also for only for 3-4 seconds..
and again...change between ear speaker to loud speaker we always hear only for 3-4 seconds...

any fix For it dude?

anyway its very very good rom!

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
thanx bro. Will test

tested:
I found 1 issue:
after 3-4 seconds after recieving/calling other person via phone the ear speaker is not working.
If we swap between ear speaker to loud speaker then is ok also for only for 3-4 seconds..
and again...change between ear speaker to loud speaker we always hear only for 3-4 seconds...

any fix For it dude?

anyway its very very good rom!
Yes. Follow faq 1

Apr 3, 2021
News about SHRP: I understand that the recovery is expected to ask for a decrypting password at boot when /data is encrypted. Since SHRP does not ask for my PIN, I tried to force decryption via command line (https://twrp.me/faq/openrecoveryscript.html) and got the following:
Code:
j5y17lte:/ # twrp decrypt ********
Attempting to decrypt data partition or user data via command line.
No crypto support was compiled into this build.
j5y17lte:/ #
SHRP's current behaviour is then expected.

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
News about SHRP: I understand that the recovery is expected to ask for a decrypting password at boot when /data is encrypted. Since SHRP does not ask for my PIN, I tried to force decryption via command line (https://twrp.me/faq/openrecoveryscript.html) and got the following:
Code:
j5y17lte:/ # twrp decrypt ********
Attempting to decrypt data partition or user data via command line.
No crypto support was compiled into this build.
j5y17lte:/ #
SHRP's current behaviour is then expected.
Pls see: https://code.binbash.rocks:8443/MVA...mmit/bfb5fe5ef00980739a72f50ed8376dfc12c20813

Reactions: Zubenelhakrabi
Apr 3, 2021
Shouldn't the recovery try to backup the whole data partition as a single encrypted file then? Yet the log shows a per-file approach:
Code:
788.| I:addFile '/data/misc_de/0/xnnZ+wmTPfWXkfeWumVXaD' including root: 0
789.|   ==> set selinux context: u:object_r:storaged_data_file:s0
790.| I:addFile '/data/system' including root: 0
791.|   ==> set selinux context: u:object_r:system_data_file:s0
792.| I:addFile '/data/system/EKRwi+BdRece6DSbSzpxxB' including root: 0
793.|   ==> set selinux context: u:object_r:system_data_file:s0
794.| I:Error adding file '/data/system/EKRwi+BdRece6DSbSzpxxB' to '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/5203ac375f5ab43b/2021-04-07--18-44-04_e_j5y17lte-userdebug_10_QQ3A200805001_30_UN/data.ext4.win'

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello yes same behavior with SELinux enforced to permissive.
    log sended
    I can confirm call audio issue has been solved.
    Yes, calls are now working whitout need to set SELinux to permissive.
    ok guys i feel ignored.. I've asked you:
    @ralf_shumway
    @BoNt3k
    @Cautious_C

to test in permissive and if you're on it share logs. All is explained in FAQ 1.
    The video problem sounds like the same issue I reported earlier, but failed to produce the logs for. Since then also I discovered that the problem is of the kind that comes and goes randomly. Now I managed to catch it on logs.

Initial situation was that SELinux was permissive and the default camera app was open and ready for taking video. Then I cleared logs as explained in the logcat guide, took a short video clip and saved logs as instructed. The logs are here.

Afterwards, I tried to open the gallery by clicking video thumbnail on the camera app. The gallery crashed and I got a notification about this on screen. I dismissed the notification and opened the gallery again. Gallery opens, but the video was corrupted as explained before.
    e-color.png

brought to you by the
    eFoundation-1-400x61.png

Code:
    /*
    * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
    * Same statement for XDA.
    */

About /e/
    /e/ is an a mobile ecosystem (ROM + onlines services) that:

• is open source
    • is pro-privacy
    • is compatible with most existing Android applications
    • cares about usability
    • is as far as possible freed from shackles by Google and OEMs
    • already exists!
    It’s the alternative to the Apple/Google duopoly on the smartphone.

... so again and just to be clear: /e/ is not just a ROM, it is more a complete privacy ecosystem and consists of:
    • an installable mobile operating system for smartphones, which is forked from Android and strongly “ungoogled”
    • a set of sorted and improved default open source applications
    • various online services that are linked to the mobile operating system, such as: a meta search engine for the web, drive (with synchronization), mail, calendar, notes, tasks.

Features

• Based on the stable Lineage OS
    • microG fully pre-installed with Signature Spoofing in restricted mode!
    • All features described on the /e/ page: What is e
    • All features and fixes of LineageOS
    • My builds come with full OTA update support :)
      ... you know that thing which informs you that a new update is there and where you just click to download + install ;)

Difference from pure /e/ or: why are the builds UNOFFICIAL?

• There are no differences. its pure /e/. just an unofficial build (if you want to have it official test my builds and report also SUCCESS! this ROM is currently awaiting to get approved by /e/ for official builds)

Known issues:

Keep in mind that this is brand new stuff so it may (still) contain unknown issues!
    So back up regularly and frequently!

• When your current STOCK firmware or the latest you had flashed is not PIE (Android 9) then flash the following STOCK version: J530FXXS7CTF1 (pie)
    • selinux: permissive (will be set to enforcing once I got some user feedback if my build working as stable for others as for me)
    • If you find a bug not listed let me know and SHARE LOGS! -> READ FAQ#1 for how to provide proper logs.

Requirements
    • Latest TWRP or SHRP build.
    • This ROM has been tested with stock firmware J530FXXS7CTF1 . If you use an older one switch to this first. If you have a newer one things might not work for you (like cam etc)
    • Do a full (i.e. Nandroid) backup before doing anything!

Installation
    1. Full clean install as described here (FAQ #2) is highly recommended. DO NOT REPORT ISSUES when you have skipped that step!
    2. Flash /e/
    3. Optional (if you want root): Flash Magisk
    4. Flashing OpenGapps ????? NO No no! you don't want that on a google-free phone! /e/ contains everything you need to live without Google! So flashing OpenGapps on /e/ is like using a bit more secure LOS but that's not the point of /e/. Either try without or go with LOS (imho).
    5. Boot it (will take a bit on first boot!!! be patient!)
    6. Enjoy the most easy way to have a privacy focused and google-free phone!

Download

Get your builds from my leech server (new installs or re-installs)
    http://leech.binbash.rocks:8008/e-os/a10/

If you have a previous version of my(!) /e/ Q installed already and just want to update to a newer release:
    Android settings -> Updater (yes my builds have built-in OTA support!)

Note:
    1. Builds are updated as soon as possible. There is no build cycle.
    2. Information pertaining to your device is displayed accordingly.
    3. The current build is the latest for your device.

Changelogs

• search results from this thread: click

Support

Of course in this thread but also by Telegram. I have created a generic group for all stuff around Android : here
    and another one if you want to keep up2date whenever I build something (TWRP, SHRP, LOS, /e/, ...): here

Credits
    • nailyk :)
    • Astrako, wth.. you did an AWESOME job for this SoC!
    • LineageOS (the base of /e/)
    • The /e/ foundation and all related devs making this experience possible!
    • The Exynos7870 Team
    • and more..

Sources

XDA:DevDB Information
    j5y17lte_eos-q_unofficial, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
    steadfasterX, nailyk, Astrako for ALL Q porting stuff!!! and: ananjaser1211,DarkLord1731,Exynos7870 Team (github)
    Source Code: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: only tested on PIE bootloader - so upgrade if you are on Oreo or older
    Based On: Lineage OS

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2020-10-01
    Last Updated 2020-10-01
    Hello,
    Very nice rom, working great, thank you for your work.
    Any news about getting it official?
    Thanks for your great rom. (y)I have installed it on a space locked J5, and now there are 9GB free flash space, this is great!
    At the moment I see two minor problems:
    Is it some hoe possible to fix the mac address for known networks. At the moment I get a new mac after each reboot.
    Volte looks disabled with this rom. Is there a possibility to enable volte?
    Thanks again for your great work.
    Hi,

The ROM work Fine for me, except PIN and fingerprint configuration in lock screen ...

I set PIN but no effect ater, my lock screen is set to swipe or no ...
    Hi,

The ROM work Fine for me, except PIN and fingerprint configuration in lock screen ...

I set PIN but no effect ater, my lock screen is set to swipe or no ...
    It´s the same here on my device. Only swipe to unlock works.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone