[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][R]LineageOS 18.0 for Galaxy J5 [J500H/FN/F/G/M/Y/8]

Search This thread

Zakaryan2004

Jun 1, 2017
Yerevan
2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community-built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restores the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

ROM Information

• ROM Target Device: Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J5008 | SM-J500H | SM-J500F/G/M/Y | SM-J500FN
  • ROM Status: Testing
  • ROM OS: LineageOS 18.0 (Android R)

What works
* Boots
* Basic functionality
* Wi-Fi
* Audio (music, etc)
* Camera (including video recording)
* Flash
* Sensors
* etc

What doesn't work
* RIL (in-call audio, messaging, data)
* Bluetooth
* GPS (may partially work, not tested)
* Miracast
* VoLTE, this will never work on AOSP as it's not easy to implement Samsung's proprietary implementation.
* Test and report other bugs

Device Names

Verify your device codename before downloading any firmware or recovery images!
Code:
[B]SM-J500F/G/M/Y[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5lte[/B][/COLOR]
[B]SM-J5008[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5ltechn[/B][/COLOR]
[B]SM-J500FN[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5nlte[/B][/COLOR]
[B]SM-J500H[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j53gxx[/B][/COLOR]

Downloads
ROM Download: here
GApps Download (BitGapps): here

Installation
Install the latest OrangeFox(recommended, available here) or TWRP 3.3.1 or later
Make a full backup (just in case something goes wrong)
Make a full wipe(System, Data, Cache)
* Dirty flash may work, try and tell me.
Download the latest build and transfer it to your phone
Flash the zip
If you are installing GApps do it before booting to the ROM. Make sure to flash the correct architecture and version(arm 11.0)
And finally boot, the first boot can take several minutes as it optimizes all the apps

There are still quite a few features that are not yet completed for LineageOS 18.0, these are not bugs, this is a beta release.
You should provide logs when reporting any hardware-related issue.

How to provide logcats

Under Windows:

Code:
[B]* Install Samsung device drivers and then
 the ADB utils from here:[/B]

[url]https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979[/url]

[b]* Then enable developer mode, connect your phone to usb,
 and from [B]cmd[/B] paste this command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > %userprofile%/Desktop/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]then try to reproduce the bug.[/b]

[b]* The logcat file will be on your desktop.[/b]

Under Linux:

Code:
[b]* Install the ADB utils from your distribution's
 package manager and execute the command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > ~/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]* The logcat file will be in your home directory.[/b]

* Submit the logcat here on the forums, or on the Telegram group.

* If you can't connect the device through ADB on Windows because of the drivers, connect the device over wifi, enable ADB over Network in developer options, and type:

Code:
adb connect [ip address here]

And then the adb logcat command for windows.
[/HIDE]

Also do not under any circumstances post bug reports if you are using substratum themes or unsupported Magisk modules or you have performed any system modifications.

Credits
I would like to everyone who has helped me throughout the whole process of making Q for J5, included but not limited to those people.
Galaxy-MSM8916 team for our base trees.
jenslody, SebaUbuntu, Soft-Bullet, and others for the Q bringup and other contributions!

itexpert.120 (Zeeshan Ahmad) for providing a server for building!
And everyone else who has done even the slightest for the project.

Source Code
Kernel source code: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/an...amsung_msm8916
ROM Source code: https://github.com/LineageOS

XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOS 18.0 for Galaxy J5 (2015), ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
Zakaryan2004
ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
ROM Firmware Required: 6.0 Marshmallow Bootloader/Modem
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2020-11-17
Last Updated 2020-11-17

Zakaryan2004

Jun 1, 2017
Yerevan
Reserved

Screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201117-053433_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20201117-053433_Trebuchet.png
    259.4 KB · Views: 1,844
  • Screenshot_20201117-053439_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20201117-053439_Trebuchet.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,824
  • Screenshot_20201117-053443_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20201117-053443_Trebuchet.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,714
  • Screenshot_20201117-053448_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20201117-053448_Settings.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,650
  • Screenshot_20201117-053506_Android_System.png
    Screenshot_20201117-053506_Android_System.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,600
  • Screenshot_20201117-053514_Android_System.png
    Screenshot_20201117-053514_Android_System.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,581
  • Screenshot_20201117-053725_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20201117-053725_Settings.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,840
Last edited:
Reactions: groovybanana21

Zakaryan2004

Jun 1, 2017
Yerevan
As some of you may know, Google has been recently making AOSP build system require more and more RAM, to the point that building with 8GB of RAM is more or less impossible (dirty builds with no changes take 5-6 hours with lots of hacks and modifications). Clean builds take days and sometimes weeks to build. My PC currently has 8GB RAM, and I have used it to build most of my ROMs. I have got a server from itexpert.120 (Zeeshan Ahmad) today, and I am very thankful to him for it, but I would prefer to have a more permanent solution. Building locally is easier for testing, but it is very tedious and time-consuming, so I am planning to upgrade my RAM.

I have never asked for any kind of donations for any of my work before, but right now I think it's time I do so, most probably for the only time. My country is in a bit of a tight situation right now, and I also don't have the 'usual' means of asking for donations (a la PayPal and such). As I am going to buy RAM from Amazon, I have decided to accept donations in form of Amazon.com Gift Cards. I am planning to buy 16GB DDR4 RAM from Amazon, which is currently $59.99 USD. I will be paying the remaining cost myself after the donation. Every amount will help! Remember, the Gift Card needs to be for Amazon.com. If you are interested in donating, please drop a PM on XDA or Telegram (@Zakaryan2004). I will help you through the process if there are any doubts. Thank you so much for reading and understanding.

Last edited:

Zakaryan2004

Jun 1, 2017
Yerevan
As some of you may know, Google has been recently making AOSP build system require more and more RAM, to the point that building with 8GB of RAM is more or less impossible (dirty builds with no changes take 5-6 hours with lots of hacks and modifications). Clean builds take days and sometimes weeks to build. My PC currently has 8GB RAM, and I have used it to build most of my ROMs. I have got a server from itexpert.120 (Zeeshan Ahmad) today, and I am very thankful to him for it, but I would prefer to have a more permanent solution. Building locally is easier for testing, but it is very tedious and time-consuming, so I am planning to upgrade my RAM.

I have never asked for any kind of donations for any of my work before, but right now I think it's time I do so, most probably for the only time. My country is in a bit of a tight situation right now, and I also don't have the 'usual' means of asking for donations (a la PayPal and such). As I am going to buy RAM from Amazon, I have decided to accept donations in form of Amazon.com Gift Cards. I am planning to buy 16GB DDR4 RAM from Amazon, which is currently $59.99 USD. I will be paying the remaining cost myself after the donation. Every amount will help! Remember, the Gift Card needs to be for Amazon.com. If you are interested in donating, please drop a PM on XDA or Telegram (@Zakaryan2004). I will help you through the process if there are any doubts. Thank you so much for reading and understanding.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020
@Zakaryan2004 Congratulations on making a rom with the latest Android for our dear and beloved j5 2015 thanks for not making him die, keep improving this custom rom and fixing bugs, Thank you so much :highfive::cowboy:

Last edited:

God01020

Account currently disabled
Nov 23, 2020
This ROM is awesome having even close to android 11 is just mindblowing for our beloved device but after installing it I would like to report some problems/ bugs :

1). The battery life is so little with this ROM
2). After logging in to a Google account in the setup and after opening chrome it again asks for login and takes to the same setup but I have found it is okay with play store and YouTube
3). It is also a little bit laggy not severe but little bit

At last I would like to say that the developers are so amazing to put android 11 in this device. God bless you and keep the fantastic work going

Use Magisk 21, that's the version which will work on Android 11. I have been using Magisk and it works just fine
I see now, thats the prob. I use magisk 20.4(20400)
Thanks a lot for ur time.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Typically anything over 20.422 should work. Which magisk package are you using?
I use magisk 20.4(20400), i'll try again. Thanks a lot for ur help :cowboy:

r0mushii

There is another probl, my simcard can't detected, i did switch to another slot and try to restart few times but still no luck:crying:

It's SM-J500G
Thanks for your help :D

read:
What doesn't work
* Bluetooth
* Miracast
* VoLTE, this will never work on AOSP as it's not easy to implement Samsung's proprietary implementation.

Tajil

Dec 7, 2020
still in testing state...
btw, awesome work man!
thanks for keeping our J5 sound & alive

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community-built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restores the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

ROM Information

• ROM Target Device: Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J5008 | SM-J500H | SM-J500F/G/M/Y | SM-J500FN
    • ROM Status: Testing
    • ROM OS: LineageOS 18.0 (Android R)

What works
    * Boots
    * Basic functionality
    * Wi-Fi
    * Audio (music, etc)
    * Camera (including video recording)
    * Flash
    * Sensors
    * etc

What doesn't work
    * Bluetooth
    * Miracast

Device Names

Verify your device codename before downloading any firmware or recovery images!
    Code:
    [B]SM-J500F/G/M/Y[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5lte[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-J5008[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5ltechn[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-J500FN[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5nlte[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-J500H[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j53gxx[/B][/COLOR]

Downloads
    ROM Download: here
    GApps Download (BitGapps): here

Installation
    Install the latest OrangeFox(recommended, available here) or TWRP 3.3.1 or later
    Make a full backup (just in case something goes wrong)
    Make a full wipe(System, Data, Cache)
    * Dirty flash may work, try and tell me.
    Download the latest build and transfer it to your phone
    Flash the zip
    If you are installing GApps do it before booting to the ROM. Make sure to flash the correct architecture and version(arm 11.0)
    And finally boot, the first boot can take several minutes as it optimizes all the apps

There are still quite a few features that are not yet completed for LineageOS 18.0, these are not bugs, this is a beta release.
    You should provide logs when reporting any hardware-related issue.

How to provide logcats

Under Windows:

Code:
    [B]* Install Samsung device drivers and then
     the ADB utils from here:[/B]

[url]https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979[/url]

[b]* Then enable developer mode, connect your phone to usb,
     and from [B]cmd[/B] paste this command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > %userprofile%/Desktop/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]* The logcat file will be on your desktop.[/b]

Under Linux:

Code:
    [b]* Install the ADB utils from your distribution's
     package manager and execute the command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > ~/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]* The logcat file will be in your home directory.[/b]

* Submit the logcat here on the forums, or on the Telegram group.

* If you can't connect the device through ADB on Windows because of the drivers, connect the device over wifi, enable ADB over Network in developer options, and type:

Code:
    adb connect [ip address here]

And then the adb logcat command for windows.
    [/HIDE]

Also do not under any circumstances post bug reports if you are using substratum themes or unsupported Magisk modules or you have performed any system modifications.

Credits
    I would like to everyone who has helped me throughout the whole process of making Q for J5, included but not limited to those people.
    Galaxy-MSM8916 team for our base trees.
    jenslody, SebaUbuntu, Soft-Bullet, and others for the Q bringup and other contributions!

itexpert.120 (Zeeshan Ahmad) for providing a server for building!
    And everyone else who has done even the slightest for the project.

Source Code
    Kernel source code: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/an...amsung_msm8916
    ROM Source code: https://github.com/LineageOS

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 18.0 for Galaxy J5 (2015), ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
    Zakaryan2004
    ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: 6.0 Marshmallow Bootloader/Modem
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2020-11-17
    Last Updated 2020-11-17
    Thanks for make j5 still alive:cowboy:
    Reserved

Screenshots
    I try to root using magisk few times but always fail, am i missing something? My device is SM-J500G thanks for help. I did flash using OrangeFox 10.1
    Typically anything over 20.422 should work. Which magisk package are you using?
    I try to root using magisk few times but always fail, am i missing something? My device is SM-J500G thanks for help. I did flash using OrangeFox 10.1
    Use Magisk 21, that's the version which will work on Android 11. I have been using Magisk and it works just fine