[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][S20] lineageos 17.1 with microG (plus instructions to build your own image)

Search This thread

SolidHal

Oct 4, 2016
shadow moses island
github.com
Disclaimer
Your warranty is now void. We are not responsible for bricked devices, lost data, broken sd cards, or failure for your device to preform some important function. You are choosing to make modifications to your own device, and accept all of the risks involved.

LineageOS is a long standing android custom rom, derrived from AOSP with contributions from the community. By default, no google apps or frameworks are built into the rom.

microG is an open source, lightweight replacement for the proprietary google apps and frameworks. Maybe most importantly, it includes UnifiedNlp which provides wifi and cellular based geolocation which are necessary for location services apps to function properly.

This rom includes:
- fdroid & fdroid priviledge extension
- microG and sig spoofing patches to support it
- magisk (optional, there are magisk and non-magisk versions available)
- lawnchair, a great AOSP launcher

Whats working:
- calling
- bluetooth
- camera
- audio
- cellular
- fingerprint
- full 1440 x 3200 resolution
- gps
- encryption
- gcam, stock cam
- other smart phone things

Whats not working:
- only the "default" camera sensor is function. Have yet to see anyone that has gotten the telephoto and macro(?) lens working in a custom rom
- relies on stock vendor partition, which is why flashing a specific version of OneUI is important
- fingerprint enrollment is touchy. If it fails, go back and try again. If it is stubborn, restart and try again.
https://github.com/SolidHal/lineageos-microg-samsung-s20#known-issues

Tested on SM-G981U1, should work on most snapdragon s20 devices (if not all). If you test this on another model and it works properly please post a comment if you have the time.

Install Instructions
Long instructions, including loading a customer recovery with keys for these images. Intended to help those newer to custom roms:
https://github.com/SolidHal/lineageos-microg-samsung-s20

Short instructions, for those that know what they are doing:
https://github.com/SolidHal/lineageos-microg-samsung-s20#rough-steps

Gcam:
GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.4.apk
gcam_7.3.018_urnyx05-v1.6-goofwear.xml
Telephoto and wide angle are swapped in the config and in the UI. Telephoto crashes the app, you will have to clear storage/cache to be able to use Gcam again.
I suggest disabling the telephoto lens. To do this go into
Gcam -> Settings -> Advanced -> Auxiliary Camera
and disable *Wide* not telephoto (remember, they lenses are swapped here)

Sources and Instructions to build your own images and custom recovery:
https://github.com/SolidHal/lineageos-microg-samsung-s20#build-lineageos-with-microg-and-magisk

Download
https://github.com/SolidHal/lineageos-microg-samsung-s20/releases

Thanks
- To the member of the XDA fourms that are unlocking the snapdragon s20
- To @jesec who really did all of the work on getting lineage working on the s20
- To jimbo77 on xda who had some nice lineage builds for the s20, looking at their source got me pointed in the right direction for this device
- To @NisseGurra for suggesting Gcam apk and config

Last edited:

clipcarl

Nov 20, 2009
Hi, thanks for your ROM! A few questions:
  • On which models of the S20 will this work?
  • Does 5G and VOLTE work?
  • Does encryption work?
  • Does 120Hz work?
  • Which camera apps work?
  • I haven't used MicroG before... Can the Google Play Store be installed on this ROM?

Thanks!

SolidHal

Oct 4, 2016
shadow moses island
github.com
  • Does encryption work?
  • Does 120Hz work?
  • I haven't used MicroG before... Can the Google Play Store be installed on this ROM?

Thanks!
Sorry, I'll put the model in the main post when I'm back on my computer.
-I have only tested this on SM-G981U1 but it should work on any snapdragon s20/s20 5g
- I don't have any 5g towers nearby, will try to hunt some down this week and update.
- encryption is fully functional, this was one of the main reasons I forked the multidisabler
- This is forced 60hz, but at full 3200x1400. There is another lineage rom on here that forces 120hz but then the resolution has to be 2400 x 1080. According to samsung, the 60hz mode is better for battery life, so I went with that. May find a way to toggle on the fly in the future.
-I have only tested the stock lineage camera, can try to test specific ones if folks want.
- right now only builds with microg are available, which means stock gapps cannot be flashed. It is easy enough to build a rom without microg though, open "build_x1q.sh" and remove the following lines:
-e "CUSTOM_PACKAGES=GmsCore GsfProxy FakeStore FDroid FDroidPrivilegedExtension lawnchair" \ -e "SIGNATURE_SPOOFING=yes" \

If there is enough interest, I may post images without microg.

Reactions: clipcarl

clipcarl

Nov 20, 2009
Thanks for your response. I'd love to see a 120Hz version and a regular Google Play Services version if you have time. I'm definitely interested in knowing if VOLTE works as audio quality on phone calls without it is pretty bad on T-Mobile in my area. 5G would also be nice as there is 5G in my area. Currently I'm running rooted stock but I'd prefer to run Lineage if encryption and VOLTE work and if I don't have compatibility issues due to MicroG.

Thanks!

YandereSan

Sep 1, 2013
Wide lens will work, just needs to be set correctly in Gcam. Telephoto lens won't work. I suspect this is due to Samsung's package restriction built into OneUI 2.1, which Lineage cannot communicate with to release the lock.

Much appreciation for reviving LineageOS on this device.

Hunter_20

Dec 14, 2017
Thanks for the link. Does DC-dimming still have OLED lifetime drawbacks?

Interesting enough it seems that dc-dimming might increase the lifetime according to research of a German oled manufacturing company:

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-04 om 10.49.58.png

source: Dimming of OLEDs - OSRAM

Last edited:

goobener

May 14, 2015
HTC 10
Hello,

I'm curious if there has been any further development towards 18.1? I've got an S20 plus 986U1 and I would like nothing better than to find a current version of non GAPPS lineage. I'm currently running bitsafe oneui 3.1. I've been trying to degoogle it but I don't have the skills. I can get Google deleted but can't seem to get microG working correctly. @Krog18 helped me out and got sig spoof working but I'm still not having much luck making everything happy.

airybreath

Dec 7, 2020
Hello,

I'm curious if there has been any further development towards 18.1?
Looking into this myself, I found this note from the author:
NOTICE: after spending much time on this device I will no longer be making progress.
imsservice (required for cellular) requires a bunch of proprietary samsung garbage that they build into the standard system framework.jar and telephony-common.jar
That's not a good sign :-(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer
    Your warranty is now void. We are not responsible for bricked devices, lost data, broken sd cards, or failure for your device to preform some important function. You are choosing to make modifications to your own device, and accept all of the risks involved.

LineageOS is a long standing android custom rom, derrived from AOSP with contributions from the community. By default, no google apps or frameworks are built into the rom.

microG is an open source, lightweight replacement for the proprietary google apps and frameworks. Maybe most importantly, it includes UnifiedNlp which provides wifi and cellular based geolocation which are necessary for location services apps to function properly.

This rom includes:
    - fdroid & fdroid priviledge extension
    - microG and sig spoofing patches to support it
    - magisk (optional, there are magisk and non-magisk versions available)
    - lawnchair, a great AOSP launcher

Whats working:
    - calling
    - bluetooth
    - camera
    - audio
    - cellular
    - fingerprint
    - full 1440 x 3200 resolution
    - gps
    - encryption
    - gcam, stock cam
    - other smart phone things

Whats not working:
    - only the "default" camera sensor is function. Have yet to see anyone that has gotten the telephoto and macro(?) lens working in a custom rom
    - relies on stock vendor partition, which is why flashing a specific version of OneUI is important
    - fingerprint enrollment is touchy. If it fails, go back and try again. If it is stubborn, restart and try again.
    https://github.com/SolidHal/lineageos-microg-samsung-s20#known-issues

Tested on SM-G981U1, should work on most snapdragon s20 devices (if not all). If you test this on another model and it works properly please post a comment if you have the time.

Install Instructions
    Long instructions, including loading a customer recovery with keys for these images. Intended to help those newer to custom roms:
    https://github.com/SolidHal/lineageos-microg-samsung-s20

Short instructions, for those that know what they are doing:
    https://github.com/SolidHal/lineageos-microg-samsung-s20#rough-steps

Gcam:
    GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.4.apk
    gcam_7.3.018_urnyx05-v1.6-goofwear.xml
    Telephoto and wide angle are swapped in the config and in the UI. Telephoto crashes the app, you will have to clear storage/cache to be able to use Gcam again.
    I suggest disabling the telephoto lens. To do this go into
    Gcam -> Settings -> Advanced -> Auxiliary Camera
    and disable *Wide* not telephoto (remember, they lenses are swapped here)

Sources and Instructions to build your own images and custom recovery:
    https://github.com/SolidHal/lineageos-microg-samsung-s20#build-lineageos-with-microg-and-magisk

Download
    https://github.com/SolidHal/lineageos-microg-samsung-s20/releases

Thanks
    - To the member of the XDA fourms that are unlocking the snapdragon s20
    - To @jesec who really did all of the work on getting lineage working on the s20
    - To jimbo77 on xda who had some nice lineage builds for the s20, looking at their source got me pointed in the right direction for this device
    - To @NisseGurra for suggesting Gcam apk and config
    when can we get 18.1?thx
    I am actually currently working on getting 18.1 stable, ETA: soon/when I have more time
    • Does encryption work?
    • Does 120Hz work?

Thanks!
    Sorry, I'll put the model in the main post when I'm back on my computer.
    -I have only tested this on SM-G981U1 but it should work on any snapdragon s20/s20 5g
    - I don't have any 5g towers nearby, will try to hunt some down this week and update.
    - encryption is fully functional, this was one of the main reasons I forked the multidisabler
    - This is forced 60hz, but at full 3200x1400. There is another lineage rom on here that forces 120hz but then the resolution has to be 2400 x 1080. According to samsung, the 60hz mode is better for battery life, so I went with that. May find a way to toggle on the fly in the future.
    -I have only tested the stock lineage camera, can try to test specific ones if folks want.
    - right now only builds with microg are available, which means stock gapps cannot be flashed. It is easy enough to build a rom without microg though, open "build_x1q.sh" and remove the following lines:
    -e "CUSTOM_PACKAGES=GmsCore GsfProxy FakeStore FDroid FDroidPrivilegedExtension lawnchair" \ -e "SIGNATURE_SPOOFING=yes" \

If there is enough interest, I may post images without microg.
    我实际上目前正在努力使 18.1 稳定,ETA:很快/当我有更多时间时
    I'm happy to help you test this system