[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] [SM-T290] LineageOS 18.0 [BETA][21.02.2022]

Search This thread

SunSlide

Mar 18, 2022
Hey guys!

Installed "lineage-19.1-20220320-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgS.img"
Everything starts up, but something is weird with my installation and my storage, it freezes when i go into storage and i cant download anything without apps start to crash.

Im not sure if i flashed it correctly, i did a wipe in TWRP before installation.

Really hope i can get this to work since it waaaaay faster then the bloat samsung ships :)

Edit:
Tried flashing another rom (nexus) and had the same issue!
trying to reflash and wipe everything except internal storage.

Where should i flash image? i get: "select partition to flash image", never seen that before (might be because you flash img and not zip)
Hey there Dennis. So, I've kinda been playing with this tablet for a little bit now and have sucessfully got TWRP with (mostly)no problem using odin. It works good enough to switch between nexus rom, lineage vanilla and lineage play enabled at will. The .img mentioned is the one I used and I have games installed and working.

The nexus rom.zip flashes by it's self i think and lineage.img will flash to the /system partition.
Always back out and format the /data, under the wipe option, after installing the os but before rebooting. This step seems important for encryption/permission reasons? Either way, both os' would hang at the loading screen on boot if not done.

I'm a complete noob at this but it sounds to me as though you might have some permission issues. If that is the case, I do not know how to fix them. In the twrp install tut it has you run a multi unlock encrypt script or something like that, did you get that to run correctly? I don't know what it actually does or if it's necessary but I had to play with it a bit for the script to run correctly.

Last edited:

SunSlide

Mar 18, 2022
I was hoping someone that's a little more knowledgeable could maybe point me in the right direction on something. The above mentioned lineage-19.1-20220320-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgS.img is supposed to have root enabled. In the nexus rom there is an option to turn root on under the phh's treble menu but this option seems to be missing in both the vanilla and play enabled versions of andy yans. The Phhs treble menu is there, but the option to turn root on with it's little check box is not.

I see now that SniperFox22 said that it has su over ssh which I discovered also works over the adb shell too, but I cant get su to work on the device it's self. I've tried to flash this rom at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...or-phhusson-source-based-treble-gsis.3811563/ which is a phhs superuserab.zip but I don't really know what that did. It has a link to a .apk for it also but the link is dead and it's not on the play store anymore? Other search's through out the last week or two have failed to bring up anything.

I really have no clue as to what ezactly it is im doing to acheive root or how i can get that option back in the treble menu and/or get superuser access? I assume that i need the su program somewhere that has the appropriate perissions to be accessed by a permission granter app? The lineage rom seemed to run a bit better then the nexus rom but if i can't get root to work then this may not suite my purposes.

Any help would be appretiated!

SunSlide

Mar 18, 2022
Will this work on the SM-T295?
Pretty sure these are generic images for most android phones although not everything is guaranteed to work. As long as you have twrp installed you should be able to back up and flash it. Andy yan also has a github site with the source I believe. I see that yours is just an lte model so I would exspect one of em to work. I settled on his lineageos 18 version but the version 19 also worked. I've flashed back and forth a couple times. Be advised that to get root working you have to have a superuser app found on his xda post.

Reactions: Austcool

Austcool

Nov 30, 2016
Milan
n3rdp0rt4l.gitlab.io
Pretty sure these are generic images for most android phones although not everything is guaranteed to work. As long as you have twrp installed you should be able to back up and flash it. Andy yan also has a github site with the source I believe. I see that yours is just an lte model so I would exspect one of em to work. I settled on his lineageos 18 version but the version 19 also worked. I've flashed back and forth a couple times. Be advised that to get root working you have to have a superuser app found on his xda post.
Thanks that's all I needed to know! :D

evanonym0us

May 27, 2022
Hi Sniperfox,

could you please provide a link to the correct Nexus post, I would like to make sure i follow the correct one as I have a tab A (2019) and want to nstall lineage.

thanks in advance

rgds Acsum
Did anyone ever figure out what nexus post it is? I am so confused about this entire thread.

SunSlide

Mar 18, 2022
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

I have TWRP installed on my SM-T290, but I'm confused about what to do from there.
Well if you already have TWRP, the rest is gravy. The site has instructions but pretty much dl the .zip and copy it to an easily findable spot (like the sdcard), boot up into twrp, flash the .zip file, do a wipe-> format data and then reboot. If you don't do the wipe format before reboot then it just cycles on the boot animation

edit: I don't know if it's necessary to install the nexus rom first but I did. I then started playing around with the linageos builds and prefer them. If your using google stuff then get one that is preinstalled with gapps, it just makes things easier.

iamq3

Aug 29, 2016
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hey guys!

Everything starts up, but something is weird with my installation and my storage, it freezes when i go into storage and i cant download anything without apps start to crash.

Im not sure if i flashed it correctly, i did a wipe in TWRP before installation.

Really hope i can get this to work since it waaaaay faster then the bloat samsung ships :)

Edit:

Where should i flash image? i get: "select partition to flash image", never seen that before (might be because you flash img and not zip)
Had the same issue with Nexus Rom, did the following to fix (not sure if this option is present in lineage rom):
Settings -> Phh Treble Settings -> Misc features -> Other -> Select Disable FUSE storage layer

Reactions: DennisRawet

usitsupport

Jul 4, 2015
I was hoping someone that's a little more knowledgeable could maybe point me in the right direction on something. The above mentioned lineage-19.1-20220320-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgS.img is supposed to have root enabled. In the nexus rom there is an option to turn root on under the phh's treble menu but this option seems to be missing in both the vanilla and play enabled versions of andy yans. The Phhs treble menu is there, but the option to turn root on with it's little check box is not.

I see now that SniperFox22 said that it has su over ssh which I discovered also works over the adb shell too, but I cant get su to work on the device it's self. I've tried to flash this rom at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...or-phhusson-source-based-treble-gsis.3811563/ which is a phhs superuserab.zip but I don't really know what that did. It has a link to a .apk for it also but the link is dead and it's not on the play store anymore? Other search's through out the last week or two have failed to bring up anything.

I really have no clue as to what ezactly it is im doing to acheive root or how i can get that option back in the treble menu and/or get superuser access? I assume that i need the su program somewhere that has the appropriate perissions to be accessed by a permission granter app? The lineage rom seemed to run a bit better then the nexus rom but if i can't get root to work then this may not suite my purposes.

Any help would be appretiated!
I just tinkered with the latest build lineage-19.1-20220613-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS-vndklite.img.xz. Most forums indicated SuperSu is obsolete, deadlinks, etc. I managed to find via Google and installed phh superuser apk that manages su, voilà, most apps require root work.

Last edited:

SunSlide

Mar 18, 2022
I just tinkered with the latest build lineage-19.1-20220613-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS-vndklite.img.xz. Most forums indicated SuperSu is obselete, deadlinks, etc. I managed to find via Google and installed phh superuser apk that manages su, viola, most apps requires root works.
Hey, thanks! I ended up finding the app on a post by andy yan but can't seem to find it again. It had two different versions, which I have just don't have the link to lol. Yes though, everything that I use root for(termux) works.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm able to boot and set this up, but it does not seem to include GApps as previously indicated. I tried using several GApps packages - MindtheGapps, OpenGApps, NikGapps...nothing worked.

If you were able to get GApps working on this, I have a few questions:
What firmware did you flash before installing this? I'm on CUK4.
What exact image did you use for LineageOS?
Did you have to flash anything else to get GApps to work?

Lastly, installing the Magisk app does seem to work properly, at least as a root manager. Wouldn't recommend installing modules though.

Jm123321

Dec 15, 2020
I'm able to boot and set this up, but it does not seem to include GApps as previously indicated. I tried using several GApps packages - MindtheGapps, OpenGApps, NikGapps...nothing worked.

Lastly, installing the Magisk app does seem to work properly, at least as a root manager. Wouldn't recommend installing modules though.
Did you download the right file? Some of the images include gaps, but others don't.

SunSlide

Mar 18, 2022

As Jm said, make sure you have the right file. The naming scheme is on the dl site but get one that has 'arm64.bgS'.img. The 'bvS'' is a vanilla version that does not have gapps installed.

lineage-18.1-20220414-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS.img.xz ---- note that this is a version 18 vanilla and not the v 19. It seemed to run betterish, although I did like the look and feel of v19 better. I will say that I tried once to get gapps working on it and failed. I noticed while writing that it has been updated so ill probly grab that as soon as I have time.

lineage-19.1-20220613-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgS.img.xz is the image that I have that gapps does work on. I did not have todo anything extra to get it working. Right out of the box it will ask you to set up google like any new android device. I just felt that it made the device slugish like the stock rom.

twrp-3.6.1_11-0-T290XXU3CUK4-20220327.img is the name of the twrp I flashed, so I'm gonna say that I also had the CUK4 firmware installed. The device had all of the latest updates before I rooted it.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
As Jm said, make sure you have the right file. The naming scheme is on the dl site but get one that has 'arm64.bgS'.img. The 'bvS'' is a vanilla version that does not have gapps installed.

lineage-18.1-20220414-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS.img.xz ---- note that this is a version 18 vanilla and not the v 19. It seemed to run betterish, although I did like the look and feel of v19 better. I will say that I tried once to get gapps working on it and failed. I noticed while writing that it has been updated so ill probly grab that as soon as I have time.

lineage-19.1-20220613-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgS.img.xz is the image that I have that gapps does work on. I did not have todo anything extra to get it working. Right out of the box it will ask you to set up google like any new android device. I just felt that it made the device slugish like the stock rom.

twrp-3.6.1_11-0-T290XXU3CUK4-20220327.img is the name of the twrp I flashed, so I'm gonna say that I also had the CUK4 firmware installed. The device had all of the latest updates before I rooted it.
Yep, I didn't know the difference and downloaded the bvS one. Thanks for the tip!

I'm using TWRP 3.6.1 too...but it does seem like newer kernels are backwards compatible, so 3.6.1 should run just fine on any older firmware; it did for me on CVD3 and BUC1.

SunSlide

Mar 18, 2022
I installed 19.1 with Gapps, it's working pretty well. I can definitely attest to the performance limitations of the T290, though; only 2GB RAM. I'm trying to find something that's better than the Tab A series without breaking the bank...
Yeah, i dunno..... I feel like this tab should do better then it does. I think the processor may be the culperate? Something that helps is setting the governor to userspace and setting frequancy to max so it doesn't fluctuate. Had todo that through termux cause i dont know another way. I think any newer tablet is gonna run better though.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, i dunno..... I feel like this tab should do better then it does. I think the processor may be the culperate? Something that helps is setting the governor to userspace and setting frequancy to max so it doesn't fluctuate. Had todo that through termux cause i dont know another way. I think any newer tablet is gonna run better though.
Well, it's only got 2GB of RAM, and with 19.0 it's averaging less than 500MB free; anything moderately intensive overloads it, so it spends a lot of time swapping back and forth between working memory and flash, which takes up processor time.

Has anyone been able to get GApps working on 18.1?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Build in the works. Going to release the BETA as soon as I can do testing on my own device before release.

IMO this is a necessity as there are literally no good roms for this right now. I tried the port of the Nexus stock CR rom and it was not great. Playstore was unusable due to an issue were the app thinks the system is out of storage space, even though it is almost empty. Chrome crashes instantly, the search on the page home screen flickers up/down without control.

I am a far bigger fan of LineageOS thus why I am working on this build.

More to come.
    Thank you my guy I had lost all hope for custom roms on this tablet. It's quite relieving to know that I'm not alone.
    Hey Guys,

I didnt end up building a custom rom, because I was able to get the GSI version of Lineage 19 working fairly easily. Just use the correct image and flash the same as the Nexus post. Android 12 with Lineage 19 so i felt it wasnt worth it as everything works. I had trouble at first with a boot loop but that was because I had installed Magisk BEFORE the GSI rom and not AFTER. So dont make my mistake.

As per the Nexus Post;
    Unlock Bootloader
    flash TWRP
    Wipe data
    Install Andy Yan's Lineage OS 19 GSI
    Install Magisk
    Reboot

Cheers!

SniperFox
    Hey guys!

Edit:

Had the same issue with Nexus Rom, did the following to fix (not sure if this option is present in lineage rom):
    Settings -> Phh Treble Settings -> Misc features -> Other -> Select Disable FUSE storage layer