[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][THEA][8.1] LineageOS 15.1 - Security Patch Level: 2019.03.05

Search This thread

Rox5

Feb 4, 2014
@ Numberone2022
Your questions are not all very clear, but in summary:
- if you live in America, US radio band should be just fine for you !
- as long as you don't try to modify GPT and bootloader, you can always reinstall an official Moto G build in bootloader mode with fastboot;
- to convert system.new.dat.br to system.new.dat, you need to install brotli package, available for Linux;
- to convert system.new.dat to system.img, you need a python program called "sdat2img.py" (I will not detail here)
- changing "Moto G2 2014" to "Moto G2 2014 LTE" with build.prop ? I did not succeed.....
- your question about erasing modemst1 and modemst2 ? If you know how to install a stock ROM, you should know because it is part of the process.....
- keep in mind that the memory partition of Moto G is composed of 42 different blocks !!
This is why it is always advised to understand what you do, before operating.

+ I confirm: No LTE / HSPA+ only : I've installed "LTE discovery tool" to confirm

Last edited:

Numberone2022

Mar 18, 2019
@ Numberone2022
Your questions are not all very clear, but in summary:
- if you live in America, US radio band should be just fine for you !
- as long as you don't try to modify GPT and bootloader, you can always reinstall an official Moto G build in bootloader mode with fastboot;
- to convert system.new.dat.br to system.new.dat, you need to install brotli package, available for Linux;
- to convert system.new.dat to system.img, you need a python program called "sdat2img.py" (I will not detail here)
- changing "Moto G2 2014" to "Moto G2 2014 LTE" with build.prop ? I did not succeed.....
- your question about erasing modemst1 and modemst2 ? If you know how to install a stock ROM, you should know because it is part of the process.....
- keep in mind that the memory partition of Moto G is composed of 42 different blocks !!
This is why it is always advised to understand what you do, before operating.

+ I confirm: No LTE / HSPA+ only : I've installed "LTE discovery tool" to confirm
Not Worked...system.img Image Size in fastboot

Rox5

Feb 4, 2014
Not Worked...system.img Image Size in fastboot
You may be don't use the right tool.
I use fastboot version 1:8.1.0 in linux, and no problem at all. system.img file is automatically sparsed in two parts.
Code:
sudo fastboot flash system system.img
I have tested many things, and I confirm what I told you: you absolutely need the wipe cache+dalvick-cache+data and modemst1/2 to have any chance to get your SIM card detected.
I've tested AICP titan build, and did not have any SIM detected without erasing modemst1/2.
Code:
sudo fastboot erase modemst1 
sudo fastboot erase modemst2
nb: "sudo" means in linux that the command needs to be done as root user.
I've no idea how it works in windows, in case you are still a windows user.

Your problem is not the way you bypass the Error 7 during installation , but your process is not clean enough before jumping to conclusion.
BTW, I have now the same bootloader as you: 0x4822.

Numberone2022

Mar 18, 2019
You may be don't use the right tool.
I use fastboot version 1:8.1.0 in linux, and no problem at all. system.img file is automatically sparsed in two parts.

I have tested many things, and I confirm what I told you: you absolutely need the wipe cache+dalvick-cache+data and modemst1/2 to have any chance to get your SIM card detected.
I've tested AICP titan build, and did not have any SIM detected without erasing modemst1/2.
nb: "sudo" means in linux that the command needs to be done as root user.
I've no idea how it works in windows, in case you are still a windows user.

Your problem is not the way you bypass the Error 7 during installation , but your process is not clean enough before jumping to conclusion.
BTW, I have now the same bootloader as you: 0x4822.
Thank You!!! The cleaning of the system, cache should i do in Abd fastboot or twrp??? After installation the system i can install the gapps and root??? Do you think it's just lineage 14.1 thea or lineage 16 titan???? Lineage 16 updates should I Always losing adb data or can I use twrp??

Rox5

Feb 4, 2014
The cleaning of the system, cache should i do in Abd fastboot or twrp???
'adb fastboot' is impossible, as far as I know. I don't know where you find that..
fastboot is a very low-level command which can only be executed in bootloader mode (which is not recovery mode).
With TWRP recovery, adb command can be executed, with the phone rebooted in in recovery mode.
You should go step by step, and take more time to better understand. what you do.

I already gave you the commands to erase modemst.
To erase caches, you can execute 'fastboot erase cache' in bootloader mode, but better also reboot in TWRP recovery mode to wipe all caches.

androbag

Mar 21, 2019
'adb fastboot' is impossible, as far as I know. I don't know where you find that..
fastboot is a very low-level command which can only be executed in bootloader mode (which is not recovery mode).
With TWRP recovery, adb command can be executed, with the phone rebooted in in recovery mode.
You should go step by step, and take more time to better understand. what you do.

To erase caches, you can execute 'fastboot erase cache' in bootloader mode, but better also reboot in TWRP recovery mode to wipe all caches.

Hello, I was able to install lineage-16.0-20190311-UNOFFICIAL-titan on my thea XT1072, after a complete cleaning of the phone from TWRP and after applying the modifications described in posts #42 and #58.
Everything is working well, including making and receiving calls and SMS and all the sensors. Mobile data work well with H+, but I can't test LTE, because my mobile offer does't provide it.

Rox5

Feb 4, 2014
The titan/thea compatibility is not a mystery, both based on Snapdragon 400 (LTE compatible, without VoLTE only available on 410 => Moto G Osprey)
The Moto G2 2014 memory is divided in 42 blocks:
Code:
adb shell ls -l /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name|cut -d\  -f8-

DDR -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
aboot -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
abootBackup -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
boot -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p32
cache -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p41
cid -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p26
clogo -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p29
deviceinfo -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p34
dhob -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p21
frp -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p16
fsc -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p23
fsg -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p22  -> mounted on /fsg 
ftmlog -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p35
hob -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p20
keystore -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p38
kpan -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p36
logo -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p28
logs -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
misc -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p31
modem -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 -> mounted on /firmware 
modemst1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
modemst2 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p19
oem -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p39
padA -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
padB -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
padC -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p37
pds -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p27
persist -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p30
recovery -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p33
rpm -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
rpmBackup -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
sbl1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
sdi -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
sdiBackup -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
sp -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p25
ssd -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p24
system -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p40 -> mounted on /system
tz -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
tzBackup -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p13
userdata -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p42 -> mounted on /data
utags -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
utagsBackup -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p15

The titan/thea difference is the modem firmware provided by Motorola from stock ROM:
/dev/mmcblk0p22 filled by NON-HLOS.bin
/dev/mmcblk0p1 filled by fsg.mbn

modemst1-2 blocks are only modem cached values, recreated at boot if empty.

The only problem I understand is that thea builds cannot be provided if the builder cannot test his build.
A ROM builder will however never be able to test his build on Asia/USA/China/Europe mobile networks, and only users can give feedback.

Then should each thea Moto G owner try to make his own build for his personal use ?
May be not the best solution.
To be investigated => how to provide a thea build based on titan build with very limited effort.
May be the builds should be stamped something like LineageOS_thea_totally_unoffical_very_dangerous.zip to be sure users are very well informed of the risk they take by installing a thea build which is not "official".

s_dino

Nov 24, 2008
@ Rox5
I has flashed lineage-16.0-20190311-UNOFFICIAL-titan on my XT1077, sim1 can be detected, but sim2 can't, is there need something to do? or just one sim card can be used. thanks!

Rox5

Feb 4, 2014
@ Rox5
I has flashed lineage-16.0-20190311-UNOFFICIAL-titan on my XT1077, sim1 can be detected, but sim2 can't, is there need something to do?
Difficult to say because I even don't know if Dual SIM is working on "unofficial" LOS_16_titan build (I have a XT1072 mono SIM).
However, dual SIM detection problem seems to be very common.
https://xdaforums.com/moto-g4-plus/help/moto-g4-plus-sim-card-detected-flashing-t3685847
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G...SIM-card-not-detected-dissapears/td-p/3399130
etc etc....

But in your very specific case of titan build on thea model, did you really really wiped everything before reboooting : all data + cache + dalvick-cache + modemst1-2 ? ...assuming you saved your precious data before, of course (...)
Cannot tell more.

Numberone2022

Mar 18, 2019

I gave up ... tried and did not detect my SIM ... the funny thing is that the tolkit of chip 1 appears ... I only did lineage 16.0 installation without gapps and root
I forgot to inform my MOTO g2 thea is the xt 1078

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

I already downloaded aicp and also presents the same problem .... only the toolkit of chip 1 appears .... and the data, calls, sms do not work and does not detect the chip 1 nor the chip 2

s_dino

Nov 24, 2008
Difficult to say because I even don't know if Dual SIM is working on "unofficial" LOS_16_titan build (I have a XT1072 mono SIM).
However, dual SIM detection problem seems to be very common.
https://xdaforums.com/moto-g4-plus/help/moto-g4-plus-sim-card-detected-flashing-t3685847
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G...SIM-card-not-detected-dissapears/td-p/3399130
etc etc....

But in your very specific case of titan build on thea model, did you really really wiped everything before reboooting : all data + cache + dalvick-cache + modemst1-2 ? ...assuming you saved your precious data before, of course (...)
Cannot tell more.
I did everything, but I can't find the Sim 2 setting, it seems like a single Sim Phone.

Numberone2022

Mar 18, 2019
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1 (Oreo), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I'm not a developer in the actual sense. I'm just compiling this ROM according to T H I S manual. I'm not able - due to time constrains - to actually alter code or provide bugfixes. This is done by the active developers or by you!
Furthermore, I try to build on a daily basis but I can not promise daily builds. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy the effort I put into this and are able to benefit from it.
This project is designed to stop, once there are official builds for our device available H E R E.

What's working:
Boots
Wifi
Camera (Photos)
Magisk

What should be working:
RIL (Calls, SMS, Data) - and it most likely never will except if @LuK1337 shares his code...

Not tested:
Bluetooth
Video Playback
Audio (Record)
Audio (Playback)
Sensors
XposedFramework

Instructions:
Download build and gapps (if wanted)
Reboot to recovery (TWRP recommended)
Flash build (and gapps, Magisk, etc.)
Reboot

Downloads:
ROM
OpenGapps

Credits:
@LuK1337
@luca020400
@Wattsensi

Source Code:
http://github.com/gothicVI

Created: 2017-01-30

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][THEA][8.1] LineageOS 15.1, ROM for the Moto G 2014 LTE

Contributors
gothicVI
Source Code:https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2018-09-26
Last Updated 2019-03-16
@gothicVI @Rox5 I contacted @RenanQueiroz in the forum .. It could help in the development for thea ... Any bug fix in this rom of the 24th ???

AndroMani

Dec 10, 2017
Hi gothicVI,
As I am using Oreo from LuK1337 without any major issues, I didn't try any other Oreo builds.

I also noticed that development for Moto G2 4G Thea device was stopped almost a year ago. There are no stable builds of Oreo ROM OR Pie release for Thea.
So, Thea seems to have reached the end when it comes to active Android development. However, I see some Pie ROM builds released for the 1st Gen Moto G, which is Peregrine.

That's grat to hear. Did you also try one of the newer builds?

Numberone2022

Mar 18, 2019
Hi gothicVI,
As I am using Oreo from LuK1337 without any major issues, I didn't try any other Oreo builds.

I also noticed that development for Moto G2 4G Thea device was stopped almost a year ago. There are no stable builds of Oreo ROM OR Pie release for Thea.
So, Thea seems to have reached the end when it comes to active Android development. However, I see some Pie ROM builds released for the 1st Gen Moto G, which is Peregrine.
unfortunately .. works better than lineage 14.1 ???
How do I make port 15.1 with updated security patch?

Rox5

Feb 4, 2014
The vendor mismatch error comes from framework-res.apk, but why this error ? Still unclear since March 2018.

Code:
framework-res/res/values/strings.xml: 
   <string name="lineage_system_error_manufacturer">A vendor image mismatch has been detected. Typically this means your vendor image is out of date. Please ensure your vendor image matches %1$s.</string>

The build process provides a /system/build.prop file with noticeable difference between both build versions:

lineage-15.1-20180313_131048-UNOFFICIAL-thea_unified
Code:
# begin build properties
# autogenerated by vendor_buildinfo.sh
ro.product.board=MSM8226
ro.board.platform=msm8226
ro.vendor.product.manufacturer=motorola
ro.vendor.product.model=thea
ro.vendor.product.brand=motorola
ro.vendor.product.name=lineage_thea
ro.vendor.product.device=thea
# end build properties

>>> NOT in lineage-15.1-20190317-UNOFFICIAL-thea
Then probably something wrong with vendor build setup.

Numberone2022

Mar 18, 2019
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1 (Oreo), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I'm not a developer in the actual sense. I'm just compiling this ROM according to T H I S manual. I'm not able - due to time constrains - to actually alter code or provide bugfixes. This is done by the active developers or by you!
Furthermore, I try to build on a daily basis but I can not promise daily builds. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy the effort I put into this and are able to benefit from it.
This project is designed to stop, once there are official builds for our device available H E R E.

What's working:
Boots
Wifi
Camera (Photos)
Magisk

What should be working:
RIL (Calls, SMS, Data) - and it most likely never will except if @LuK1337 shares his code...

Not tested:
Bluetooth
Video Playback
Audio (Record)
Audio (Playback)
Sensors
XposedFramework

Instructions:
Download build and gapps (if wanted)
Reboot to recovery (TWRP recommended)
Flash build (and gapps, Magisk, etc.)
Reboot

Downloads:
ROM
OpenGapps

Credits:
@LuK1337
@luca020400
@Wattsensi

Source Code:
http://github.com/gothicVI

Contributors
gothicVI
Source Code:https://github.com/LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2018-09-26
Last Updated 2019-03-16
Bugs:: Offline Charger, video recorder, kernel linux permissive, SIM (SIM 1 and 2 is not detect)....

Rox5

Feb 4, 2014
Some news.....
In order to understand why since May 2018 , nobody has been able to build a working LOS15.1 ROM for thea, I've build a thea ROM, and .... have exactly the same issues.

The video recording issue is known since Jan 2018, and is a HAL legacy compatibility problem (Hardware Abstraction Layer) due to HAL2 evolution for Oreo.
This has been corrected/(workarounded) on August 2018 in certain msm8226 forks for some devices:
sevenrock/android_device_motorola_msm8226-common

Unfortunately, the Moto G branch is not maintained for 15.1 since about March 2018, and I even wonder if regressions have not been introduced causing the new vendor mismatch issue which did not exist in March.

The offline charger issue is also very probably related to some HAL regressions.

The only solution would be to identify who has introduced these regressions and when, and precisely which files, to eventually correct the sources.
I did not find clear bug tracking tools to clarify Moto G regressions since March 2018 for LOS_15.1.
Then do not spend time making confusing "security patches" on a paperweight without RIL, hoping you will not need emergency calls, thinking you have a phone in your hand !
The home page of this thread should be very clearly updated to not claim that RIL "should be working", but that RIL does not work at all, as reported by ALL testers without exception since September 2018 (and even earlier).
Hope it clarifies

Last edited:

Numberone2022

Mar 18, 2019
Some news.....
In order to understand why since May 2018 , nobody has been able to build a working LOS15.1 ROM for thea, I've build a thea ROM, and .... have exactly the same issues.

The video recording issue is known since Jan 2018, and is a HAL legacy compatibility problem (Hardware Abstraction Layer) due to HAL2 evolution for Oreo.
This has been corrected/(workarounded) on August 2018 in certain msm8226 forks for some devices:
sevenrock/android_device_motorola_msm8226-common

Unfortunately, the Moto G branch is not maintained for 15.1 since about March 2018, and I even wonder if regressions have not been introduced causing the new vendor mismatch issue which did not exist in March.

The offline charger issue is also very probably related to some HAL regressions.

The only solution would be to identify who has introduced these regressions and when, and precisely which files, to eventually correct the sources.
I did not find clear bug tracking tools to clarify Moto G regressions since March 2018 for LOS_15.1.
Then do not spend time making confusing "security patches" on a paperweight without RIL, hoping you will not need emergency calls, thinking you have a phone in your hand !
The home page of this thread should be very clearly updated to not claim that RIL "should be working", but that RIL does not work at all, as reported by ALL testers without exception since September 2018 (and even earlier).
Hope it clarifies
how can we use rom lineage 16 TITAN in thea xt 1078 ?? could carry rom titan for ril thea LTE or without lte...

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

@Rox5 how can we use rom lineage 16 TITAN in thea xt 1078 ?? could carry rom titan for ril thea LTE or without lte...
@Rox5 the only problem of titan for me and the detection of the SIM .... I do not care about using H + ... but if I get a port with LTE it would be perfect .... lineage 16 titan works everything perfect ... a port rom thea ril would be perfect

Rox5

Feb 4, 2014
Sorry man, I only have a XT1072 mono SIM, and reported that I've tested 16.0 titan ROM on it, without any issue, but the LTE.
I thought XT1078 is a Dual SIM for Brazil, and you said you live in US: may be some network compatibility in this special configuration.
Not having LTE on a mobile which is supposed to be LTE can also be a sign that all radio bands are not correctly declared/detected: this is why I prefer having LTE correctly detected on a thea model with LTE firmware.
Keep in mind that 16.0 titan ROM tested on thea was only for investigation, due to lack of thea ROM, and needs some care with modemstX cache to enable SIM detection (explained in my previous messages).

I did not find the solution to activate LTE on thea (with LTE firmware), but titan ROM, without recompiling: some LTE overlay is necessary in the framework (my latest investigations).

EDIT: even not sure, because some titan models are LTE compatible.
Making a unified titan/thea build would make life easier, instead of duplicating builds for 10 bytes difference.

I have a preference for 15.1 build for Moto G2 for the moment, because the gap is now increasing between hardware/software (HAL evolution/Treble etc etc....), and I have the impression that 15.1 is smoother than 16.0 at least on my XT1072 (may be subjective).
No real added value with 16.0, but more problems for sure.

Last edited:

Numberone2022

Mar 18, 2019
Sorry man, I only have a XT1072 mono SIM, and reported that I've tested 16.0 titan ROM on it, without any issue, but the LTE.
I thought XT1078 is a Dual SIM for Brazil, and you said you live in US: may be some network compatibility in this special configuration.
Not having LTE on a mobile which is supposed to be LTE can also be a sign that all radio bands are not correctly declared/detected: this is why I prefer having LTE correctly detected on a thea model with LTE firmware.
Keep in mind that 16.0 titan ROM tested on thea was only for investigation, due to lack of thea ROM, and needs some care with modemstX cache to enable SIM detection (explained in my previous messages).

I did not find the solution to activate LTE on thea (with LTE firmware), but titan ROM, without recompiling: some LTE overlay is necessary in the framework (my latest investigations).

EDIT: even not sure, because some titan models are LTE compatible.
Making a unified titan/thea build would make life easier, instead of duplicating builds for 10 bytes difference.

I have a preference for 15.1 build for Moto G2 for the moment, because the gap is now increasing between hardware/software (HAL evolution/Treble etc etc....), and I have the impression that 15.1 is smoother than 16.0 at least on my XT1072 (may be subjective).
No real added value with 16.0, but more problems for sure.
got it!!! let's wait for thea development ... I'll test the builds ..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    #include <std/disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or the current
     * economic crisis caused by you following these directions. YOU are choosing to make these
     * modificiations, and if you point your finger at me for messing up your device, I will
     * laugh at you.
     */

IMPORTANT NOTE:

What's working:
    • Boots
    • Wifi
    • Camera (Photos)
    • Magisk

What should be working:
    • RIL (Calls, SMS, Data) - and it most likely never will except if @LuK1337 shares his code...

Not tested:
    • Bluetooth
    • Video Playback
    • Audio (Record)
    • Audio (Playback)
    • Sensors
    • XposedFramework

Instructions:
    • Download build and gapps (if wanted)
    • Reboot to recovery (TWRP recommended)
    • Flash build (and gapps, Magisk, etc.)
    • Reboot

Downloads:

Credits:

Source Code:

Contributors
    gothicVI
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2018-09-26
    Last Updated 2019-03-16
    The ROM is very fast, but whitout RIL (Calls, SMS, Data) i cant use :/ i will waiting for neo updates. thanks
    I can confirm the lack of RIL. The Oreo Version of Luke1337 had it. I am not sure however if his github provides for a chance to pick something...
    I know. Sadly it doesn't. He never published the code. I also asked in his thread for him to make it available.
    For the time I fear there's no obvious solution.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (5) Plus mit Tapatalk
    I saw that you posted a new build, did it come with the fix on the ril? Can someone tell me? I really want to use a rom with oreo.
    I fear not. Sadly our original maintainers never answered me. Thus I am not sure if we're going to see a fully working oreo ROM for thea...

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (5) Plus mit Tapatalk
    Well done! It seems like you finally got a bootable build. And you synced the latest security patches too. Thanks for continuing our work because I can no longer develop for this device because I sold it and I no longer have time to do it because of the pressure of late senior high school. I hope LuK answers and you get a working RIL someday, or perhaps you can even port Pie.

If you check Titan device trees you will notice that there are only minor differences between the files so you could try and port Pie as a more advanced project...you can borrow most shims from Titan but wouldn't be too stable.