• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNSTABLE][unlocked][karnak] Lineage-18.1[25 October 2021]

Search This thread

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Well the glitching seems to be gone but instead the apps that were glitching before now just wont play content,

I attached a adb logcat below (used Newpipe to recreate the error)
Yes, we're aware of that issue already. My patch only fixed the fdsan error (and after that, some apps like VLC started working). The newpipe crash is completely different (needColorConvertWithNativeWindow). As kai suggested already, you can use Vanced youtube in the meantime (since it's working now).

temijun

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks for the amazing work and brining this device back to life.
On the 20211028 build, I noticed that we are spoofing the device fingerprint Pixel 5. I tried SafetyNet test which came back as failing the basic test. This is needed to install apps like Netflix and Disney Plus.

I tried the standard HideProps and they all seem to fail. I wonder if there is something related to the ROM.

Reactions: Reynald0

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
Thanks for the amazing work and brining this device back to life.
On the 20211028 build, I noticed that we are spoofing the device fingerprint Pixel 5. I tried SafetyNet test which came back as failing the basic test. This is needed to install apps like Netflix and Disney Plus.

I tried the standard HideProps and they all seem to fail. I wonder if there is something related to the ROM.
I tested Disney+ and Netflix and didnt have a issue, Disney+ crashed when playing content but i think thats related the the codec issue(s).

(no Gapps, installed Bromite Webview to the /system partition so i probably broke SafetyNet)

dontpanic-xda

Oct 13, 2019
Upon seeing this thread I have elected to pull the trigger on a 2021 Fire 10. Thanks for all your work on this - though I'm long out of touch with my java skills (used to maintain the GS3 for Ground Zero Roms), I will at least be more than happy to beta test.

Cheers, and stay well

I didn't think there was a way yet to unlock any of the Amazon Fires newer than 2020.

Has this changed?

NellyWhads

Nov 26, 2012
Toronto
OnePlus 5
I didn't think there was a way yet to unlock any of the Amazon Fires newer than 2020.

Has this changed?
Well this really dated me now didn't it. I haven't even flashed a fresh ROM on my OP5 in 2 years.

It seems I'll wait for the bootloader unlock to install this. In the mean time, I don't imagine an extra vote of appreciation will go unappreciated.

Reactions: dontpanic-xda

JerseyChewi

Aug 27, 2012
Edinburgh
Excellent work, Kai! We were still using the old Pie ROM where 5GHz wifi was broken. It's working great now. The whole ROM seems to hold up very well in general. LINE Chat and Snapchat refuse to start for some reason, but no great loss there.

Small and weird issue: even if muted, the speakers seem to turn on and play quiet static anyway if an open app is playing audio. This is most noticeable when playing a game with volume muted. Please let me know if logs would be relevant here.
Edit: Remembered another problem, although this one might be an issue with Android 11 in general. The default launcher and widget permissions for the home screen seem to unset themselves after every reboot.

Last edited:

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
Small and weird issue: even if muted, the speakers seem to turn on and play quiet static anyway if an open app is playing audio. This is most noticeable when playing a game with volume muted. Please let me know if logs would be relevant here.
Edit: Remembered another problem, although this one might be an issue with Android 11 in general. The default launcher and widget permissions for the home screen seem to unset themselves after every reboot.
I also noticed the static (it was also present in FireOS)

Last edited:

entelecheia

Mar 13, 2020
Somehow I lost recovery mode in flashing the ROM. My bootloader appears to have relocked itself, as well. Now, any attempt to boot or flash a new recovery image via fastboot returns the dreaded "the command you input is restricted on locked hw". I'm at a loss, any thoughts?

The device is running 18.1 fine (previously 14.1) and is rooted.

Somehow I lost recovery mode in flashing the ROM. My bootloader appears to have relocked itself, as well. Now, any attempt to boot or flash a new recovery image via fastboot returns the dreaded "the command you input is restricted on locked hw". I'm at a loss, any thoughts?

The device is running 18.1 fine (previously 14.1) and is rooted.
If you tried to flash through fastboot, you accidentally removed the exploit that unlocks the bootloader, if I recall correctly. You need to be flashing everything through the recovery on-device, since that version of TWRP has been modified to reapply the exploit after every flash (if you've flashed anything with it, you'll notice the blue messages prefixed [amonet].)
That said, you can re-open the tablet and reapply the exploit, and everything will be fine again. Just take a backup since running the exploit wipes everything.

Kovaelin

Aug 19, 2015
Canada
I also had this issue. I noticed it when I had a video on YouTube paused. It was an issue on 15.1 too.

r2d2rogers

Jan 13, 2011
I have flashed this on two tablets, but they both have the same bluetooth address. Is there a fix that works on 18.1 for defining unique bluetooth addresses?

glate

Apr 27, 2011
Updated from the Lineage 14.1 by dirty flashing this ROM. Not recommended I'm sure but it worked well and the ROM seems to be running smoothly. Glad to have you back @Kaijones23 - really hoping this ROM breathes new life into these tablets.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for all the work on this! I flashed this to my hd8 a couple weeks ago. Not sure if I have the wrong Gapps or what (should be using Gapps 11 with 18.1-20211028-UNOFFICIAL-karnak, right?). Typing any text at all results in 3-4-many random characters being injected into the text field with each "key press". I disabled auto-correct and auto-fill and that seems to have fixed it. Also Brave and Firefox crash after a minute or so when playing back video on youtube. I have a logcat (https://pastebin.com/56cexaiP) which I tried to capture as far back as "normal" playback was happening. If someone could have a look and let me know if this is "normal"? I read something in this thread about codec issues but not sure it's related.
    Gapps 11 should be the correct version, no idea why there is random characters being injected maybe try a different keyboard,

There is still some codec issue(s?) so thats probably why your web browser is crashing,
    I have found NewPipe with the "Default video format" set to WebM or using a invidious instance works most of the time.
    Gapps 11 should be the correct version, no idea why there is random characters being injected maybe try a different keyboard,

There is still some codec issue(s?) so thats probably why your web browser is crashing,
    I have found NewPipe with the "Default video format" set to WebM or using a invidious instance works most of the time.
    Thanks again! Installed NewPipe (what a great app!) and set to WebM. Playing videos just fine now.

I'll check into a different keyboard if I run into more issues.
    If i has to guess i would assume its easier to build LineageOS as a 32-bit ROM instead of having to port the drivers, firmware, kernel, etc to 64-bit, but i might be completely wrong.
    My first throught was the Android 11 ROM was built as a 32 bit ROM because the CPU didn't support the new features in Android 11 which require hardware support. Only I quickly realized all of the ROMs that have been posted for karnak are 32 bit.

If it's a question of BLOBS, the OS can be 64 bit, even if the drivers/blobs are 32 bit. It should just involve changing a few flags, and remapping a few pointers inside the build config. I'm tempted to try, but I have enough projects on my plate already. I bought these as cheap test devices, and for use as low power, network monitoring bots, IoT remote controls, etc. I ned to be careful I don't fall down the rabbit hole to far.

So I thought I'd post, and ask the question? It feels like an even bigger mystery to me given this work has already been done for the almost identical, and less popular, douglas variant. The douglas tablets also shipped with a 32 bit ABI.
    @Kaijones23 tried it as I remember on LOS14. But it resulted in Bootloops.
    The Hardware between douglas and karnak is almost similar, but they run diffrent Fire OS. Douglas runs on FireOS 5 (5.1 Lolipop) and Karnak runs on FOS 7 (9 Pie).
    I guess they removed from 5 to 6 everything Kernelside to not support 64bit at all for a reason?
    I think its possible to run 64 OS on 32 BLOPS, but in this case it requires a lot of Kernel rewrite and trial/error.
    We actually booted 64 bit LineageOS 14.1 on karnak (using blobs from some Asus MT8163 tab). However, almost nothing worked.
    Cat anyone provide up-to-date instructions for compiling the 18.1 ROM forkarnak? I think there are steps I'm missing and/or something is missing from the GitHub repos. For example, I can't find the manifest with the linaro tool chain. But there are other issues. Like the mt8163/android_kernel_mediatek_mt8163_4.9 repo has no lineage-18.1 branch. So I'm not sure if it was never committed, it isn't needed, or it's identical to lineage-17.1.

It almost feels a like some of the changes weren't committed/pushed., or perhaps there is some other build process/script that I haven't found, or isn't on GitHub.

I've tried a number of different strategies, but at the moment I have the following device_manifest.xml file:

XML:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
        <!-- Device Tree -->
        <project name="mt8163/android_device_amazon_karnak" path="device/amazon/karnak" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1"/>

<!-- Kernel sources -->
        <project name="mt8163/android_kernel_amazon_karnak_4.9" path="kernel/amazon/karnak" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1"/>
        <project name="mt8163/android_kernel_mediatek_mt8163_4.9" path="kernel/mediatek/mt8163/4.9" remote="github" revision="lineage-17.1"/>

<!-- Vendor trees -->
        <project name="mt8163/android_vendor_amazon_karnak" path="vendor/amazon/karnak" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1"/>
        <project name="mt8163/android_vendor_amazon_mt8163" path="vendor/amazon/mt8163" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1"/>
        <project name="mt8163/android_vendor_raffy" path="vendor/raffy" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1"/>
    </manifest>

And I've recently tried pulling in the linaro tool chain with variations on this linaro_manifest.xml file:

XML:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <!-- Repositories -->
      <!-- Linaro Repositories -->
      <remote name="linaro-android" fetch="git://android-git.linaro.org/" />
      <!-- Linaro Toolchains -->
      <project name="prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/aarch64/gcc-linaro-7.3.1-2018.05-x86_64_aarch64-linux-gnu" path="prebuilts/linaro/linux-x86/aarch64/aarch64-linux-gnu" remote="linaro-android" revision="master" />
    </manifest>

As for build commands, the simplified version would be:

Bash:
    mkdir -p $HOME/temp && mkdir -p $HOME/cache && mkdir -p $HOME/android/lineage
    cd $HOME/android/lineage
    git config --global user.name "Build Robot"
    git config --global user.email "[email protected]"
    git config --global color.ui false
    repo init -u git://github.com/LineageOS/android.git -b lineage-18.1 -g default,-darwin
    mkdir -p .repo/local_manifests/
    cp $HOME/device_manifest.xml .repo/local_manifests/
    cp $HOME/linearo_manifest.xml .repo/local_manifests/
    repo sync --jobs=32
    export USE_CCACHE=1
    export CCACHE_COMPRESS=1
    export CCACHE_DIR="$HOME/cache"
    export ANDROID_JACK_VM_ARGS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -XX:+TieredCompilation -Xmx4G"
    source build/envsetup.sh
    rm -rf out/target/product/karnak/obj/KERNEL_OBJ/.version
    rm -rf out/target/product/karnak/obj/KERNEL_OBJ/.config.old
    lunch lineage_karnak-userdebug
    cmka
    7652ffeccaa6bbdcda57289d991b093d.gif
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
    * This ROM will eat your cat
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

- This ROM only works with unlocked Fires!

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg if possible

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Unlocked Bootloader
    - TWRP Installed

Install/Upgrade the ROM
    - Boot to TWRP
    - Go to wipe and wipe: system, data, cache
    - Go to install and flash ROM.zip
    - Flash G-APPS (Optional)
    - Reboot

Downloads
    Lineage-18.1- for Amazon Fire HD 8" 2018
    G-APPS (ARM)

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: https://github.com/mt8163/android_kernel_amazon_karnak
    - Device Tree: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_karnak/

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage-18.1 for Fire HD8 (karnak), ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10

Contributors
    Kaijones23, Rortiz2, t0x1cSH, k4y0z
    ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information
    Testing
    Current Beta Version: 0.1
    Beta Release Date: 2021-10-28

Created 2020-10-25
    Last Updated 2021-10-28
    Worklist / Tasks

- [Fixed] Codecs not working
    - [Fixed] Camera not working
    - [Fixed] switch to userdebug build
    - [Fixed] Fixed glitches in the codecs
    - [Fixed] persistent notification from "Android System"
    - [Fixed] Live Display Flickering
    - [Fixed] fix Codecs fdsan being crashed.
    - [Fixed] Updated Signature spoofing To Pixel 5
    - [todo] Fix Camera Dim in Recording Mode
    - [todo] Make graphics smoother
    Released the update for Fixing livedisplay issues by adding the vendor hal with the lineage
    When "Advanced restart" is enabled and I use the reboot to recovery option it hangs on the Amazon screen with "=>RECOVERY Mode..." in the bottom left corner.
    do you have the latest twrp? if not you can download here
    Well the glitching seems to be gone but instead the apps that were glitching before now just wont play content,

I attached a adb logcat below (used Newpipe to recreate the error
    i would use vandced instead of newpipe temporary until we work on fixing the issues