• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UPDATE][10.0][JOYEUSE][UNOFFICIAL] Pixel Experience [AOSP][2020/09/15]

Search This thread

Kacha13

Nov 4, 2013
@ brosmio : Where in magisk did you setup the fingerprint of google 4 XL ?

You need to install the module first. Check in the download section of Magisk. It should be the second or so, MagiskProp or something. Then you need a terminal emulator. Su, then props, then follow the numbers.

By the way, is mobile working for you? Do you have a joyeuse device?

GabbyWC

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Redmi Note 9 Pro
@ brosmio : Where in magisk did you setup the fingerprint of google 4 XL ?

If your phone is rooted with Magisk, enable Magisk Hide and download a module called MagiskHide Props Config and restart your phone. Install Terminal Emulator for Android, grant it root access to run the props command in there and follow the instructions to install the certified fingerprint for the Google Pixel 4 XL (coral). When that's all done, restart the phone and check if SafetyNet passes with Magisk Manager. Clear the app data for Google Play and your device will then show as Play Protect certified in its settings menu.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Thanks! Just downloaded it. It was down nearly the whole day yesterday.

Let's see if I will have the same issues as with TWRP and PBRP... For some reason, during installation, it couldn't mount the vendor partition, which was previously unmounted. But the error message was that it doesn't exist and I couldn't mount it manually either.

Edit:

Ok, the flashing worked. Mobile Internet doesn't want to work though, I get immediately kicked out, even after configuring the APN. Similar, "Ok, Google" won't work, and I can not activate it. I have the feeling I missed something.

I have no issues with mobile data access on the Fido 3G (HSPA+) network in Canada. Which boot image did you patch in Magisk? You should be using the boot.img from the Pixel Experience Plus zip file and before you patch the image with the latest stable version of Magisk Manager, disable the option for dm-verity to reduce the risk of problems. In another custom ROM thread on XDA, a developer mentioned that leaving dm-verity enabled can cause the "OK, Google" problem. Which firmware version is on your joyeuse phone? I have the stable V11.0.5.0.QJZMIXM global firmware on mine.

Last edited:

Kacha13

Nov 4, 2013
I have no issues with mobile data access on the Fido 3G (HSPA+) network in Canada. Which boot image did you patch in Magisk? You should be using the boot.img from the Pixel Experience Plus zip file and before you patch the image with the latest stable version of Magisk Manager, disable the option for dm-verity to reduce the risk of problems. In another custom ROM thread on XDA, a developer mentioned that leaving dm-verity enabled can cause the "OK, Google" problem. Which firmware version is on your joyeuse phone? I have the stable V11.0.5.0.QJZMIXM global firmware on mine.

Hm, good question. I let Magisk do it automatically. I used adb sideload to first install the ROM and then Magisk. Not sure which one it patched. I didn't disable dm-verity either, need to check if something went wrong. I should have 11.0.7.0. Originally my phone had the EEA one, but I flashed the global image through fastboot. That should update the firmware as well, should. Fastbootd and recovery didn't show the baseband version though.

I use the official Pixel Experience by the way.

Damn, then it is definitely on my side.

GabbyWC

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Hm, good question. I let Magisk do it automatically. I used adb sideload to first install the ROM and then Magisk. Not sure which one it patched. I didn't disable dm-verity either, need to check if something went wrong. I should have 11.0.7.0. Originally my phone had the EEA one, but I flashed the global image through fastboot. That should update the firmware as well, should. Fastbootd and recovery didn't show the baseband version though.

I use the official Pixel Experience by the way.

I also use the official Pixel Experience Plus for curtana ROM on my joyeuse phone. However, I don't think that flashing the Magisk zip file through recovery works properly yet. Maybe your attempt to do so is what caused your problems. The method I use requires installing Magisk Manager v7.5.1 on the phone, extracting the custom ROM's boot.img file from the PE zip file and copying it over to the phone, then using Magisk Manager to install Magisk and patching that boot image (with the dm-verity option disabled), then copying the patched boot image file back to a PC and flashing it on to the phone through fastboot. See here for the Magisk developer's instructions.

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Is it recommanded to flash latest vendor of 09/2020 ?
vendor_joyeuse_miui_JOYEUSEGlobal_V11.0.7.0.QJZMIXM

No, you don't need to do this. The Pixel Experience zip file flashes the vendor partition with whatever it needs.

Last edited:

Kacha13

Nov 4, 2013
I also use the official Pixel Experience Plus for curtana ROM on my joyeuse phone. However, I don't think that flashing the Magisk zip file through recovery works properly yet. Maybe your attempt to do so is what caused your problems. The method I use requires installing Magisk Manager v7.5.1 on the phone, extracting the custom ROM's boot.img file from the PE zip file and copying it over to the phone, then using Magisk Manager to install Magisk and patching that boot image (with the dm-verity option disabled), then copying the patched boot image file back to a PC and flashing it on to the phone through fastboot. See here for the Magisk developer's instructions.

Strange, nothing changed. I used fastboot --disable-verity flash boot boot.img after I patched it with Magisk (by the way, Magisk reduces it from 130MB to 17MB?!). Or should it be another command to disable dm-verity? The only one I found is fastboot oem disable_dm_verity and that one is unknown. I also still don't have mobile internet weirdly enough. I tested both firmwares, 11.0.7.0 and 11.0.4.0, same result. I had a similar issue with my Redmi Note 4 as well and there I had to flash some persist.img.

Just as a cross-check, was this the order you used:
  • Update/flash stock ROM through fastboot (MiFlash)
  • Flash recovery through fastboot
  • In fastbootd, erase system, vendor, product
  • In recovery, format data and cache and flash ROM through sideload
  • In fastboot, flash patched boot.img

Or was there anything different that I forgot?

Edit:

Or is a vbmeta flash necessary like here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-9-pro/development/gsi-t4165873. Vbmeta might have been flashed in a previous attempt with another recovery. (But there was a stock flash afterwards.)

Last edited:

GabbyWC

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Strange, nothing changed. I used fastboot --disable-verity flash boot boot.img after I patched it with Magisk (by the way, Magisk reduces it from 130MB to 17MB?!). Or should it be another command to disable dm-verity? The only one I found is fastboot oem disable_dm_verity and that one is unknown. I also still don't have mobile internet weirdly enough. I tested both firmwares, 11.0.7.0 and 11.0.4.0, same result. I had a similar issue with my Redmi Note 4 as well and there I had to flash some persist.img.

Just as a cross-check, was this the order you used:
Update/flash stock ROM through fastboot (MiFlash)
Flash recovery through fastboot
In fastbootd, erase system, vendor, product
In recovery, format data and cache and flash ROM through sideload
In fastboot, flash patched boot.img

Or was there anything different that I forgot?

Edit:

Or is a vbmeta flash necessary like here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-9-pro/development/gsi-t4165873. Vbmeta might have been flashed in a previous attempt with another recovery. (But there was a stock flash afterwards.)

There is an option called "preserve dm-verity" in Magisk Manager's advanced settings which should be disabled before it patches the boot image. There's no need to type a command for that function in fastboot. Yes, it's normal for the patched boot.img file to be resized to 17 MB. The sequence of instructions that you wrote is correct but an unofficial build of Corvus OS is what I was using before Pixel Experience Plus and I did not flash the stock MIUI ROM on to my phone at any point. I did not flash a vbmeta.img or persist.img file either. I have read that flashing a persist.img file may erase your phone's hardware-specific Widevine L1 DRM keys so that's not something which I would recommend. Which cellular phone provider are you with?

Last edited:

Kacha13

Nov 4, 2013
There is an option called "preserve dm-verity" in Magisk Manager's advanced settings which should be disabled before it patches the boot image. There's no need to type a command for that function in fastboot. Yes, it's normal for the patched boot.img file to be resized to 17 MB. The sequence of instructions that you wrote is correct but an unofficial build of Corvus OS is what I was using before Pixel Experience Plus and I did not flash the stock MIUI ROM on to my phone at any point. I did not flash a vbmeta.img or persist.img file either. I have read that flashing a persist.img file may erase your phone's hardware-specific Widevine L1 DRM keys so that's not something which I would recommend. Which cellular phone provider are you with?

Ah, I did miss that. I assumed that it needs to be done during the flash similar to the GSI ROM. I completely reflashed my phone from the start with the 11.0.6.0 EEA version and then Pixel Experience. For some, reason my mobile Internet will only work if I disable voLTE. No idea why, but at least it works. If I enable it, I get kicked out of the network after a few seconds. The stock ROM doesn't have the issue though, which is weird. What I can not get to work is Ok Google. Even without Magisk it is greyed out with "this language is not supported" or something like that (language is English US by the way).

I had to flash persist.img on my Redmi Note 4, otherwise, it had issues with mobile and I think some more. Didn't mess with my keys though.

I have Mobile Vikings Belgium, APN settings need to be set manually. Pixel Experience doesn't have them while the stock ROM has. It's a virtual provider though using the Orange network (if I'm not wrong, they switched recently).

GabbyWC

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Ah, I did miss that. I assumed that it needs to be done during the flash similar to the GSI ROM. I completely reflashed my phone from the start with the 11.0.6.0 EEA version and then Pixel Experience. For some, reason my mobile Internet will only work if I disable voLTE. No idea why, but at least it works. If I enable it, I get kicked out of the network after a few seconds. The stock ROM doesn't have the issue though, which is weird. What I can not get to work is Ok Google. Even without Magisk it is greyed out with "this language is not supported" or something like that (language is English US by the way).

I had to flash persist.img on my Redmi Note 4, otherwise, it had issues with mobile and I think some more. Didn't mess with my keys though.

I have Mobile Vikings Belgium, APN settings need to be set manually. Pixel Experience doesn't have them while the stock ROM has. It's a virtual provider though using the Orange network (if I'm not wrong, they switched recently).

According to the GSI ROM thread which you linked to, both of the problems that you describe sound like they're related to the dm-verity status. It's nice to know that you figured out a solution for the mobile data issue. The app below can be used to add APN settings in this ROM.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nyblnet.addapn

Last edited:

Kacha13

Nov 4, 2013
According to the GSI ROM thread which you linked to, both of the problems that you describe sound like they're related to the dm-verity status. It's nice to know that you figured out a solution for the mobile data issue. The app below can be used to add APN settings in this ROM.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nyblnet.addapn

I added the APN manually, that isn't really a problem. By now I know the settings by heart.

In the description for the GSI ROM they also mention flashing a customized vbmeta to make voLTE and the assistant work. The strange thing is that the assistant didn't work without Magisk either. So something there is wrong. I will have a look if flashing vbmeta solves it, but can only do that tomorrow.

You don't have any issues with voLTE and the assistant at all? To be honest, that surprises me a bit. You came from 11.0.7.0, then flashed Corvus and then Pixel Experience directly? I wonder if something was leftover during that process that solves the issue.

By the way, did you install any camera module to get the 64MP camera working?

Edit:

Please can check download link? Don't work for me

Hi !
Download link doesn't work!?
Error 404.
Please take a look.
Link still dead. Update?

You are not the first ones and if you would go back a page or two you would see that I have uploaded it elsewhere because I had the same issue: https://gofile.io/d/Sp7UqH

Last edited:

GabbyWC

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Redmi Note 9 Pro
I added the APN manually, that isn't really a problem. By now I know the settings by heart.

In the description for the GSI ROM they also mention flashing a customized vbmeta to make voLTE and the assistant work. The strange thing is that the assistant didn't work without Magisk either. So something there is wrong. I will have a look if flashing vbmeta solves it, but can only do that tomorrow.

You don't have any issues with voLTE and the assistant at all? To be honest, that surprises me a bit. You came from 11.0.7.0, then flashed Corvus and then Pixel Experience directly? I wonder if something was leftover during that process that solves the issue.

By the way, did you install any camera module to get the 64MP camera working?

Edit:

You are not the first ones and if you would go back a page or two you would see that I have uploaded it elsewhere because I had the same issue: https://gofile.io/d/Sp7UqH

The Google Assistant works but the "OK, Google" voice match option is greyed out and it says that the feature is unavailable for this language (English US). I don't use or care about that feature because I don't want any device around me to be constantly listening to my voice. As for the VoLTE setting, that option is enabled by default and my cellular provider's wireless data works but my current data plan limits me to 3G (HSPA+) access. I'll be switching to an LTE data plan with a different provider in a few days.

I had the MIUI stable global V11.0.5.0.QJZMIXM stock ROM on my phone before I flashed the LineageOS recovery and used that to install SebaUbuntu's unofficial build of LineageOS. The next day, I switched over to an unofficial build of Corvus OS which has plenty of features but also some major bugs and instability. After the official release of Pixel Experience Plus for curtana added support for joyeuse, I flashed it and aside from a few particular bugs which I've noticed, it mostly works well.

The GCam port that I use with this ROM is available at https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-parrot043/ but make sure you manually enable all the permissions before launching the app.

As for the broken download link that people here are mentioning, they are referring to the unofficial build of PE from the first post of this thread. For those who are not already aware, the official builds of Pixel Experience for curtana have supported joyeuse since the 2020/09/11 releases.

https://download.pixelexperience.org/curtana

Last edited:

Kacha13

Nov 4, 2013
The Google Assistant works but the "OK, Google" voice match option is greyed out and it says that the feature is unavailable for this language (English US). I don't use or care about that feature because I don't want any device around me to be constantly listening to my voice. As for the VoLTE setting, that option is enabled by default and my cellular provider's wireless data works but my current data plan limits me to 3G (HSPA+) access. I'll be switching to an LTE data plan with a different provider in a few days.

I had the MIUI stable global V11.0.5.0.QJZMIXM stock ROM on my phone before I flashed the LineageOS recovery and used that to install SebaUbuntu's unofficial build of LineageOS. The next day, I switched over to an unofficial build of Corvus OS which has plenty of features but also some major bugs and instability. After the official release of Pixel Experience Plus for curtana added support for joyeuse, I flashed it and aside from a few particular bugs which I've noticed, it mostly works well.

The GCam port that I use with this ROM is available at https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-parrot043/ but make sure you manually enable all the permissions before launching the app.

As for the broken download link that people here are mentioning, they are referring to the unofficial build of PE from the first post of this thread. For those who are not already aware, the official builds of Pixel Experience for curtana have supported joyeuse since the 2020/09/11 releases.

https://download.pixelexperience.org/curtana

Ok, then it's roughly the same level that I am at. Can you report back when you have your LTE plan? Not sure why the Ok Google detection is greyed out though. But I had similar issues with the Note 4 ROM as well, might be related. I find it rather convenient to use, so I will probably make sure it works. Flashing the vbmeta.img doesn't change anything though. It results in a boot loop though if you flash the Pixel one back. :D I will leave it at the one from the GSI ROM until the next flash. But then the bugs, voLTE still with a question mark, seem to be the same. Any idea where the official Pixel Experience thread is?

I will check out that GCam port. What I heard of until now is ANX, but I never heard of that one before, so I was wondering what you use.

I must have forgotten that the ROM has a link as well. I never used it since the official version came out.

poweredmert

Feb 15, 2019
Istanbul
I've been using this rom for two weeks(official curtana with joyeuse). No major issues so far. voLTE works. Ok google button is grayed out for me, too, I'm using English (US). But once I was out and listening spotify and tried to unlock the phone with my finger, it didn't unlock and showed enter pin screen in a glitchy way, then tried to unlock with pin, it didn't work either and I got worried. But fortunately, rebooting solved the problem.
And this seems the best rom for this device so far.
Forgot to say: Recorder app doesn't work.

Last edited: