• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][US998][Stock][OREO] LG-US998 20D ROM

Search This thread

dstahlke

Jan 5, 2013
You didn't flash no verity after flashing the 20d or 20b rom? You planning on staying stock or rooted?

At the very beginning I followed the WTF instructions, and it looks like these include flashing no-verity (it was a while ago so I don't remember, and am going by the instructions currently in the WTF thread). So I was bootloader unlocked and rooted at the beginning of what I posted above. The wipe / TitaniumBackup that got me into this mess was done for other reasons. For my recent LineageOS, 20b, 20d flashing I did Magisk but not no-verity. I'm really just blindly trying things and following random instructions online (good way to brick a phone, I know). It seems difficult to find educational resources on this stuff without just reading through thousands of forum posts.

The current setup seems to be working, and I'm happy with the stock firmware mainly because of the full featured camera app. I'd prefer my phone to be encrypted. Is there any downside to encryption, other than pain when switching ROMs? And at the risk of getting this thread too far off topic, if I change the ROM would it be possible to restore all my settings by copying over an rsync backup onto a blank ext4 partition using the TWRP shell? The backup is made using termux+ssh+rsync.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

You didn't flash no verity after flashing the 20d or 20b rom? You planning on staying stock or rooted?

Looks like the 20D package from this thread has no-verity built in, judging by the description in the first post.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
The current setup seems to be working, and I'm happy with the stock firmware mainly because of the full featured camera app. I'd prefer my phone to be encrypted. Is there any downside to encryption, other than pain when switching ROMs?

Current TWRP will not work with LG encryption. And does not work well with its own encryption. We have a new TWRP dev who was looking at that:
encryption stuff almost completely disabled, this just isn't ready for the moment; it's nice to play with, but nothing i would like to provide support for.
i want to fix encryption too, but this is a harder task than i thought... we'll see, maybe, at some time ;)
_______

Looks like the 20D package from this thread has no-verity built in, judging by the description in the first post.

Yes. It does.

Last edited:

seadersn

Recognized Developer
Nov 3, 2010
Germany
LG V30
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Current TWRP will not work with LG encryption. And does not work well with its own encryption. We have a new TWRP dev who was looking at that.

yeah, it really looks like. if, then it's only for aosp. i enabled logcat and found out that hwservicemanager needs additional love, at least in my config. keystore has its own namespace and not phal one (don't know if this is bad or causing it non-working too or ...), and some other stuff. it's hard -.- but it's a challenge and sth to play with :) :D for now. until my nerves get stressed too much...

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
What are the chances of getting a TWRP flashable version of 20E?

Westwood24 has graced us with TWRP flashables in the past. Don't know if that's something that will happen with 20E. Maybe not as there aren't major changes from the 20D build.

The thing is, @westwood24 has done them for H930 (twice) , US998 (twice) and VS996 (once) . But LG keeps releasing "security updates" every two or three months - - and this is going to go on for three years... They aren't going to stop. Plus, now users of other variants are also asking for TWRP flashable updates, like India H930DS.

If he wants to skip and do every other one, I don't mind. I just hate asking him to release one every time, for every variant - - especially for phones he doesn't even own. (He has H930, I think.)

At this point I'd rather wait for upcoming US998 20F to be made TWRP-FLASHABLE.

Last edited:

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
The thing is, @westwood24 has done them for H930 (twice) , US998 (twice) and VS996 (once) . But LG keeps releasing "security updates" every two or three months - - and this is going to go on for three years... They aren't going to stop. Plus, now users of other variants are also asking for TWRP flashable updates, like India H930DS.

Is he wants to skip and do every other one, I don't mind. I just hate asking him to release one every time, for every variant - - especially for phones he doesn't even own. (He has H930, I think.)

I'm new to this device, I don't know what goes into converting to a TWRP flashable version.

Tandrias88

Sep 21, 2012
Only option for Verizon V30 users?

Why is this the only thing that will run on my Verizon LG V30 US996 frankenstiened? Dotos, Lineage. nothing else works but this on my device.. Am I doing something wrong when flashing besides, wipe, install rom, gapps and magisk?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Why is this the only thing that will run on my Verizon LG V30 US996 frankenstiened? Dotos, Lineage. nothing else works but this on my device.. Am I doing something wrong when flashing besides, wipe, install rom, gapps and magisk?
You started out with VS996? If so, everything should be able to run. It's H931 and H933 that have AOSP ROM issues.

You tried stock based Boombox?

Tandrias88

Sep 21, 2012
You started out with VS996? If so, everything should be able to run. It's H931 and H933 that have AOSP ROM issues.

You tried stock based Boombox?

I had not until you recommended it. I've been using westwood24"s stock verizon image as it includes my voicemail app and lg camera; but I wanted something a little better on battery life like dotos or even lineage. But I've been unable to get either working. I'm sure it's just that i've been out of the rooted world for quite a bit but I've been following directions... When I do my stock image from westwood, I wipe system, data, dorvik, cache, flash lg-rctd-disabler, flash no-verify-opt-encrypt; flash image and magisk....
On dot os and lineage I read I was to wipe, but only install rom image, gapps, and magisk. I use the arm64 gapps selection for 8.1 for the 8.1 roms and 8.0 for 8.0;
But I continue to get stuck in a never ending loop of google initial setup into a reboot or in general they perform so poorly that about all i can do is hard reboot. I downloaded boombox when I read your post... It installed and booted immediately... and when asked to mount sd for storage it corrupted my sd card and I lost most of my images lol thank goodness for backups. But now boombox won't format my sd card, says command failed...so boombox seems to work but i can't use my sd card?

Last edited:

TotallyAnxious

Aug 3, 2013
I had not until you recommended it. I've been using westwood24"s stock verizon image as it includes my voicemail app and lg camera; but I wanted something a little better on battery life like dotos or even lineage. But I've been unable to get either working. I'm sure it's just that i've been out of the rooted world for quite a bit but I've been following directions... When I do my stock image from westwood, I wipe system, data, dorvik, cache, flash lg-rctd-disabler, flash no-verify-opt-encrypt; flash image and magisk....
On dot os and lineage I read I was to wipe, but only install rom image, gapps, and magisk. I use the arm64 gapps selection for 8.1 for the 8.1 roms and 8.0 for 8.0;
But I continue to get stuck in a never ending loop of google initial setup into a reboot or in general they perform so poorly that about all i can do is hard reboot. I downloaded boombox when I read your post... It installed and booted immediately... and when asked to mount sd for storage it corrupted my sd card and I lost most of my images lol thank goodness for backups. But now boombox won't format my sd card, says command failed...so boombox seems to work but i can't use my sd card?
You're flashing what image? "flash lg-rctd-disabler, flash no-verify-opt-encrypt; flash image and magisk"

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
My phone is a vs996 from Verizon. Right now I am currently running ww24 us998 twrp rom. No problems. I have also run his vs996 twrp rom.

I have run dotos, aex, and rr. I have not tried or attempted lineage (for some reason, don't remember-I never cared for it on my Droid turbo). I flash thru twrp. I have never done the encryption and verity stuff (really don't know what that is).

In twrp, I wipe dalvik, cache, system and data.

I install the rom and gapps (sometimes Magisk will not install). I then reboot. If Magisk did not install, I have to turn the phone off, hold volume down button and power button until I get the whatever screen comes up. I release the power button for a quick second, then push it down again (I am still holding the volume down button down). Release them both when the yes/no screen comes up (answer yes) and it takes you to twrp. Once in twrp, I install Magisk (17.1), then reboot.

I've had no problems installing the roms this way.

I have installed several times installing boom box. It installs fine for me, but I have no data or texting.

Again I don't know why you use the verity, encryption stuff (I didn't read where you need it? Did I miss it?)

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
My phone is a vs996 from Verizon. Right now I am currently running ww24 us998 twrp rom. No problems. I have also run his vs996 twrp rom.

I have run dotos, aex, and rr. I have not tried or attempted lineage (for some reason, don't remember-I never cared for it on my Droid turbo). I flash thru twrp. I have never done the encryption and verity stuff (really don't know what that is).

In twrp, I wipe dalvik, cache, system and data.

I install the rom and gapps (sometimes Magisk will not install). I then reboot. If Magisk did not install, I have to turn the phone off, hold volume down button and power button until I get the whatever screen comes up. I release the power button for a quick second, then push it down again (I am still holding the volume down button down). Release them both when the yes/no screen comes up (answer yes) and it takes you to twrp. Once in twrp, I install Magisk (17.1), then reboot.

I've had no problems installing the roms this way.

I have installed several times installing boom box. It installs fine for me, but I have no data or texting.

Again I don't know why you use the verity, encryption stuff (I didn't read where you need it? Did I miss it?)
No, you only need that (verity, root check disabler) on pure untouched stock when you root . @westwood24 was nice enough to build that in, like building a ROMs. For stock ROMs, you only need Magisk. For AOSP ROMs, you need Magisk and GAPPs.

Last edited:
Reactions: gimpy1

Tandrias88

Sep 21, 2012
His bootloader is unlocked and he's rooted? Or no? If so, he should not have any problems loading those roms.

I guess I'm misunderstanding something?

No, you're not misunderstanding. I'm on an LG V30 verizon. I believe that was orignally vs996? that I "frankenstiened" into a us998? i believe. :p
The directions and order's i've posted have been how i've tried westwoods stock which works fine but I wanted to try some options. Dotos, Lineage etc.
I can't get dot os past the intitial setup. I get to restore from cloud or physical phone then it reboots and starts over.
Lineage I cannot get gapps to work with it. If I install without gapps then i'm fine but If with gapps it, it removes much of lineage skin and layout. and I don't know what boombox did to my sd card lol

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
When I reboot a fresh rom , I always do a clean install/setup, starting from scratch. I reload all my apps from titanium backup. I've never tried or used the Google backup.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
No, you're not misunderstanding. I'm on an LG V30 verizon. I believe that was orignally vs996? that I "frankenstiened" into a us998? i believe. :p
The directions and order's i've posted have been how i've tried westwoods stock which works fine but I wanted to try some options. Dotos, Lineage etc.
I can't get dot os past the intitial setup. I get to restore from cloud or physical phone then it reboots and starts over.
Lineage I cannot get gapps to work with it. If I install without gapps then i'm fine but If with gapps it, it removes much of lineage skin and layout. and I don't know what boombox did to my sd card lol
Believe it or not, could be your SD card, if you're using one.

The AOSP ROMs are finicky about how SD card is formatted. Some people had to TAKE OUT the SD card, install the ROM from internal memory, boot successfully, THEN put it back in.

Tandrias88

Sep 21, 2012
Believe it or not, could be your SD card, if you're using one.

The AOSP ROMs are finicky about how SD card is formatted. Some people had to TAKE OUT the SD card, install the ROM from internal memory, boot successfully, THEN put it back in.

Thank you bud, I just formatted my sd card, wiped my internal storage. through a fresh download of DotOS and gapps on their with magisk and it installed perfectly. Have since tried lineage, boombox and all of them are installing fine. Thanks that was my issue. was a brand new sd card and after I thought about it besides putting it into my phone I don't think I'd reformatted it since first rooting.
Either way it completely resolved my issue.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Thank you bud, I just formatted my sd card, wiped my internal storage. through a fresh download of DotOS and gapps on their with magisk and it installed perfectly. Have since tried lineage, boombox and all of them are installing fine. Thanks that was my issue. was a brand new sd card and after I thought about it besides putting it into my phone I don't think I'd reformatted it since first rooting.
Either way it completely resolved my issue.
You're welcome!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    p4DIyke7D_3iuh0XK-4hASv5vGA6pwJJgLv_VtFL15n8UyjMVCJZnWOI7LwjxOQxgNRhGsU6Q_zUwThCu28HA_HOqIgc_IzFbd3i43EmyKmb8kvM_v-3IXvWBPcXv9Ao3I_RtpDBqX9Q2W0bpB3cT9x09HWzBIMZWPK88i-M-fDS2LmnlgVmPqOt_B8SBSK51VbRUifaLkYOoyDwfZ2A7JXs1uy5evdSja3Yl8s_fBv2lwBa5tuf0ChKkHH_1rGT9QFLazZKJzH-keNQDIWU7Qr3zmfLlkCgNMt6ezUB63UIKKbwnEZJ1BP9xjXHj3WlJDxheuUCy8a0hpMhEQ1lvJ4nnghmriiEEhB_K2oiM0MZSOYAsNt629zLCkqOW0I5Qveo2c0v_9C4wfl2HhSER9s_NS8H5t6QZ_T7p5WXoPqX2wjIz0wwijUU8Ua_O699io6pg5kMTPCUkaxX7NQVxeCLaHZQvCtm-hyZpki3-WvVmZegSGCTpgOBp98WBzXYho9J_jPZiFYzhCpMV75kNbeBCE73ZMyMzjGNOcjvWTKkUx0Jq7AnVc_DuUuvmtR3gHF2oLdYcWhVZU30H-fqQgs2_a4KrIjHpf1NlDc=w768-h512-no

LG-US998 20D ROM​
    Hello everyone

Sry for the Late Post. I was in a Hospital for few weeks! But now here is it :fingers-crossed:

This Rom is 100% Stock. TWRP 3.2.1-0 must first be installed as with Nougat Roms. Then you can install this Rom and have Oreo with working TWRP.

This zip is created from the original KDZ. I changed the Boot.img, so you do not have to reinstall TWRP. . . ;)

I had made this for users who can not get ota's because they have Custom Recovery / Root installed

Sorry for my bad english i'm out of practice :p

Features​
    *Stock build made from official KDZ
    *Stock Build.prop
    *Unrooted
    *Boot.img modified to keep TWRP
    *Remove dm-verity
    *Remove forceencrypt​
    Installation​
    What you need​
    *Unlocked Bootloader [How to do]
    *Working TWRP installed [Link to unofficial TWRP]
    *When you need Root, Latest Magisk [Download]
    *US99820D(TWRP).zip [Download]

How to install​
    When you are on Nougat: Reboot to recovery using button combo or reboot app (need root)
    flash this TWRP.img Download reboot and Backup Dalvik,ART, Cache, System & Data (include not your internal memory) and Boot
    in to your external sd or copy the backup from internal sd to your PC!
    From Oreo: Install TWRP with this guide but with this img
    For clean install: Wipe Dalvik/ART, Cache, System and Data (Recommend)
    You can also keep your data by dirty flashing the zip. *Not tested!!!*
    Flash US99820D(TWRP).zip
    then Magisk zip when you need root
    Reboot System

At the first time you boot to system, it can be TWRP says No OS installed. You can ignore it.
    If TWRP asks if you want to install SU, hit no

Here you can find my other [Downloads.] There are IMG´s, KDZ´z and more!

Rom Version
    Android Version: 8.0
    Android security patch level: 2018-07-01
    Build date: 2018-07-10

MD5 SUMS:
    Code:
    [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Black"]boot.img           5de0949b961663b126ea10ca7ae6a55d
    modem.img          f4be4b183f17d461b569df3cda9fde02
    persist.img        a7c90020244078eed1ee582154fda7e6
    rct.img            15bc82584049ec3a7c62d921c2897267
    system.img         8508f101c60c6f0491d7c282f4ccba2c
    abl.img            cdeb310fa2463bb1769b6944025b425b
    apdp.img           7d8948ab571281de3c1a417e6490a102
    cmnlib.img         b5ba566a4b1408a65cd359650384d22a
    cmnlib64.img       8279daae2be2dd0af5bb5ae4a5518706
    devcfg.img         bbf8237adabcde7cf245ab441a1a87b4
    factory.img        15bc82584049ec3a7c62d921c2897267
    hyp.img            d1af8f3425d765296f5808d792056037
    keymaster.img      3bdfcb57e44fe213b52aa9ba2c2ed706
    laf.img            cc2f8f56fd1f61204497a9fdf474c2d3
    logfs.img           c040a889d66a4f120f502f89b551f42b
    msadp.img          0e9ae2a1844b00c1fe36cc48ed8eed20
    pmic.img           6111bad6174e883aab16e66638a5018c
    raw_resources.img  e01193bb2b8767df956486b2f9a4658e
    rpm.img            b0398d110ca634d179916d800d48692f
    sec.img            51963cce13001dc4d34baef78b1f9c3a
    storsec.img    b014bc7cbe90e22fa7340a43028e7988
    tz.img             aa00fa8531283441e36e5c6defc13a84
    xbl.img            14d8d87b986dc31113e83fbb2156379c[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Credits:
    @autoprime
    @SGCMarkus
    @Chainfire
    @topjohnwu
    @Me :laugh:

Don´t forget to hit the thanks-button if you like my work! :good:
    You want to help me with a [donation?] Feel free to make it.​
    What are the chances of getting a TWRP flashable version of 20E?

Westwood24 has graced us with TWRP flashables in the past. Don't know if that's something that will happen with 20E. Maybe not as there aren't major changes from the 20D build.

If he wants to skip and do every other one, I don't mind. I just hate asking him to release one every time, for every variant - - especially for phones he doesn't even own. (He has H930, I think.)

@westwood24

Thanks very much for the effort & hope you are well (re Hospital).

When I converted to H988 and then rooted, I also needed to flash a script to remove RCTD as well as a no-verity script.

Under features, you make a reference to verity. Does that mean those that root don't need to flash no-verity anymore?

Will we still need to flash rcdt after rooting?

Thanks again!
    I dirty flashed over 20b, and then re-flashed stable magisk. That's all. No need to flash additional two zips, as westwood24 dealt with it in the rom.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
    Thanks....dirty flashed over 20a then flashed magisk and all good..didn't loose anything.
    I have just completed a dirty flash from 20A to 20D and followed up with Magisk 16.0.

I noticed that the safetynet check fails in the Magisk Manager. I can't recall for sure if it was failing before?

Regardless, Google Pay and my banking app both open, so at first glance it doesn't appear to be blocking anything.
    For most people it doesn't actually fail, it just gives cryptic message like "No valid response" but still is hidden from Android Pay, etc.