[ROM][v521] LG Stock Nougat ROMs for LG G Pad X 8.0 (2018-06-18)

Search This thread

.fenrir

Nov 12, 2008
New York
Added a flashable zip for disabling OTA. I haven't fully tested it against all scenarios but it should work regardless of version and prevent the device from checking and verifying for an OTA. It'll also delete any OTA files that were already downloaded. If an OTA was already downloaded and you flash this, when you reboot the notification may still appear but it should go away when you tap into it though I'll need verification on this if someone's willing to take the chance and test it.

I have always had excellent battery life but after a dirty flash of v.l it is terrible. I am losing 30% overnight. Can I roll back to v.k? I am reluctant to clean flash v.l; it's a lot of work getting back to normal.

Yeah there shouldn't be any issues rolling back to 20k from 20l without wiping but always make a backup just in case. Although I haven't looked too deeply into what changes between versions, the updates seem to primarily be just the monthly Google security updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: channeledbymodem

channeledbymodem

Jan 14, 2013
New York
Google Pixel 6
Can you re-confirm these can be flashed over marshmallow?

Yes you can flash this over Marshmallow v52110c. Technically a dirty flash (no wipe) would work fine but you never know so don't be surprised if issues spring up. After you flash the rom, since you're upgrading from Marshmallow, you'll want to update the radios too. The flashable zips for it can be found @ https://xdaforums.com/lg-g-pad-83/development/firmware-modem-flashable-modem-zips-t-t3564590. I'd recommend flashing the respective radio of the Nougat version you end up using.

My current v521 has major battery problems so I am replacing it. I'm assuming the "new" tablet will run stock marshmallow. So I need to start all over again with TWRP and root. :(

Now some time ago I asked you if your nougat zips could be flashed over marshmallow and you said, "yes." I'm pretty sure that's what I did (clean install) and that it worked fine, apart from the battery problems.

However, in re-reading your OP I see that you are requiring the tablet to have been on at least 20F nougat first before flashing your zip.

Could you please clarify?

Also, if you happen to know, why is it this particular device needs to be rooted before TWRP can be installed? On other LG devices, once the bootloader was unlocked, I'm pretty sure I just used ADB to push the TWRP boot .img to the phone and then once installed I flashed a root zip.

It appears that at a minimum I will have to root first via a modified stock .dz file and LGUP.

Frankly, I think I will run Resurrection Remix nougat on this tablet instead of stock because LG's small system partition has always caused me problems by getting too full.

Again, I'm confused. If you confirm that your zip can be flashed over marshmallow then is it possible to flash a custom rom over marshmallow? I think I read you must be on stock nougat first to flash a custom rom.

What I'm trying to avoid is the extra work jumping through hoops to root with dirty cow. If there were a more straightforward way to get TWRP on the tablet, that would be good also.

I very much appreciate both your efforts and responsiveness in this thread. There aren't many knowledgeable people I can ask about these things.

Last edited:

Airtioteclint

Nov 20, 2012
anybody flashing this from lineage/resurectionremix make sure to flash recovery again before booting.otherwise you will lose root and recovery and have to kdz 20f to reroot again.

to be safe i even rebooted recovery and flash recovery and root again before booting :D

channeledbymodem

Jan 14, 2013
New York
Google Pixel 6
Anyone able to get Xposed to work?
I can get Magisk to work but it hangs at the white tmobile screen when I try xposed.
Is this rom deodexed?

The only thing I need xposed for is to disable the smart cover magnetic feature

It works for me. You need to download the appropriate xposed framework from within magisk *and* use the magisk specific xposed installer. Sometimes you need to toggle the installer off and on and restart in order for it to load correctly.

It works for me. You need to download the appropriate xposed framework from within magisk *and* use the magisk specific xposed installer. Sometimes you need to toggle the installer off and on and restart in order for it to load correctly.

I search in Magisk Manager. In downloads, I only get one result for SDK24.
I ofcourse have to reboot after installing but on bootup, it hangs at the Tmobile screen

If you are using a different xposed version, can you please point me to the download?

channeledbymodem

Jan 14, 2013
New York
Google Pixel 6
I search in Magisk Manager. In downloads, I only get one result for SDK24.
I ofcourse have to reboot after installing but on bootup, it hangs at the Tmobile screen

If you are using a different xposed version, can you please point me to the download?

SDK 24 is the correct version of Magisk for Android 7.0. Have you ever tried to install xposed from within the non-magisk installer or used a non-magisk zip you found online? "Regular" xposed files will not work and you should download the xposed uninstall zip from the official XDA thread and flash that before attempting to install the magisk version of xposed.

If you have never tried to install xposed on this device and it is failing then I can only suggest that you either try the universal xposed framework that should show in magisk downloads or take your problem to the magisk xposed thread.

https://xdaforums.com/xposed/unofficial-systemless-xposed-t3388268

I use magisk manager to download xposed and to install it. I flashed the rom this morning and install magisk and then xposed was one of the first steps so there are no remnants for any other installs.

I had tried lineage previously and using the same procedure (flash magisk and install magisk manager, install xposed from magisk manager), it worked fine. However due to some bugs with lineage, I was forced to wipe and goto stock.

It seems like we both have the same version installed. I wonder why mine doesnt work. Which version of the rom do you have installed? I'm using the latest (20l)

channeledbymodem

Jan 14, 2013
New York
Google Pixel 6
I use magisk manager to download xposed and to install it. I flashed the rom this morning and install magisk and then xposed was one of the first steps so there are no remnants for any other installs.

I had tried lineage previously and using the same procedure (flash magisk and install magisk manager, install xposed from magisk manager), it worked fine. However due to some bugs with lineage, I was forced to wipe and goto stock.

It seems like we both have the same version installed. I wonder why mine doesnt work. Which version of the rom do you have installed? I'm using the latest (20l)

I am using 20l. If I were you I would reflash 20l and start again. If you do not have any apps on the tablet yet, do a wipe in TWRP first. If you do, then dirty flash. You will need to flash Magisk again. Be sure to use the latest version of both the Magisk zip and Magisk manager. Then before you install any other apps download xposed from within Magisk. Reboot. If the reboot is successful then install the xposed installer for Magisk. Reboot. If the xposed installer tells you that the xposed framework is installed but not active, then toggle it off, reboot, toggle it on and reboot again. It should be green (active) then.

Again, if these steps do not work you will get more help from the dedicated Magisk thread.

Unfortunately I already did that twice

1. Wipe system, data, cache
2. flash 20L
3. boot up, initial setup
4. boot recovery, install magisk
5. reboot, install magisk manager, install xposed
6. reboot, hangs on tmobile screen

Just to confirm our versions Match.
Rom: 20L
Magisk: 15.3
Magisk Manager: 15.3
Xposed Module: 89.2 (SDK24) created by rovo89, ported to magisk by topjonwu

EDIT: just for the hell of it, I tried installing the xposed module again and it worked. not sure why it didnt the 5 other times I did the exact same thing.

Last edited:

.fenrir

Nov 12, 2008
New York
Haven't had time to pop in here and kinda forgot. Anyways, 20m has been added.

My current v521 has major battery problems so I am replacing it. I'm assuming the "new" tablet will run stock marshmallow. So I need to start all over again with TWRP and root. :(

Now some time ago I asked you if your nougat zips could be flashed over marshmallow and you said, "yes." I'm pretty sure that's what I did (clean install) and that it worked fine, apart from the battery problems.

However, in re-reading your OP I see that you are requiring the tablet to have been on at least 20F nougat first before flashing your zip.

Could you please clarify?

Also, if you happen to know, why is it this particular device needs to be rooted before TWRP can be installed? On other LG devices, once the bootloader was unlocked, I'm pretty sure I just used ADB to push the TWRP boot .img to the phone and then once installed I flashed a root zip.

It appears that at a minimum I will have to root first via a modified stock .dz file and LGUP.

Frankly, I think I will run Resurrection Remix nougat on this tablet instead of stock because LG's small system partition has always caused me problems by getting too full.

Again, I'm confused. If you confirm that your zip can be flashed over marshmallow then is it possible to flash a custom rom over marshmallow? I think I read you must be on stock nougat first to flash a custom rom.

What I'm trying to avoid is the extra work jumping through hoops to root with dirty cow. If there were a more straightforward way to get TWRP on the tablet, that would be good also.

I very much appreciate both your efforts and responsiveness in this thread. There aren't many knowledgeable people I can ask about these things.

Yeah from what I remembered flashing this over Marshmallow worked fine - at least it booted up and I don't remember any obvious issues. Of course to be fair, this was probably over a year ago and my memory's a bit hazy and I didn't exactly stress test it. I updated the first post and advised against it just to decrease the chances of others getting issues or having battery issues such as yourself.

anybody flashing this from lineage/resurectionremix make sure to flash recovery again before booting.otherwise you will lose root and recovery and have to kdz 20f to reroot again.

to be safe i even rebooted recovery and flash recovery and root again before booting :D

Color me surprised. Do you remember which version you were flashing and if it was missing recovery or it went back to the stock recovery? I was fairly certain I got rid of the recovery, but it's possible I missed something.

Unfortunately I already did that twice

1. Wipe system, data, cache
2. flash 20L
3. boot up, initial setup
4. boot recovery, install magisk
5. reboot, install magisk manager, install xposed
6. reboot, hangs on tmobile screen

Just to confirm our versions Match.
Rom: 20L
Magisk: 15.3
Magisk Manager: 15.3
Xposed Module: 89.2 (SDK24) created by rovo89, ported to magisk by topjonwu

EDIT: just for the hell of it, I tried installing the xposed module again and it worked. not sure why it didnt the 5 other times I did the exact same thing.

Glad you eventually got xposed to work. To be honest I wouldn't have the faintest clue as to why it would do that.

Reactions: Airtioteclint

channeledbymodem

Jan 14, 2013
New York
Google Pixel 6
@.fenrir: in an earlier post I mentioned that battery life with any of your zips was significantly poorer than when I was on stock marshmallow. In particular, I noticed two problems: according to accubattery the tablet never entered deep sleep and cell standby was by far the greatest drain. I never found a solution for this.

Eventually, I went back to unrooted stock via kdz and then re-rooted with dirty cow. My battery life is now extraordinary; the tablet spends a lot of time in deep sleep and cell standby is greatly decreased.

This is not to disparage your efforts but something must be different between your zips and official kdz stock.

.fenrir

Nov 12, 2008
New York
@channeledbymodem: Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I don't really use the tablet much but I'll see if I can replicate. Aside from removing some scripts LG has for installing the recovery and the recovery-from.boot.p file, /system is untouched. I'll have to assume something's being changed when unpacking the kernel or during the extracting from the kdz.

skywalker-live

Oct 12, 2008
Glencoe
Amazon Fire TV
LG G Pad 10.1
@.fenrir: in an earlier post I mentioned that battery life with any of your zips was significantly poorer than when I was on stock marshmallow. In particular, I noticed two problems: according to accubattery the tablet never entered deep sleep and cell standby was by far the greatest drain. I never found a solution for this.

Eventually, I went back to unrooted stock via kdz and then re-rooted with dirty cow. My battery life is now extraordinary; the tablet spends a lot of time in deep sleep and cell standby is greatly decreased.

This is not to disparage your efforts but something must be different between your zips and official kdz stock.

@channeledbymodem: Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I don't really use the tablet much but I'll see if I can replicate. Aside from removing some scripts LG has for installing the recovery and the recovery-from.boot.p file, /system is untouched. I'll have to assume something's being changed when unpacking the kernel or during the extracting from the kdz.

When an LG device is updated by kdz all partitions are flashed, many of which are different from version to version. If you only flash system and modem you're not taking advantage of any changes brought forth from the other partitions that deal with different parts of the hardware and interact with each other. Eliminater74 created full update zips for the T-Mobile v10, from the kdz's, that flashed all partitions through TWRP and had all traces of stock recovery/scripts removed. When updating that way I had no problems. (Unless it was truly an LG bug)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using XDA Labs

.fenrir

Nov 12, 2008
New York
When an LG device is updated by kdz all partitions are flashed, many of which are different from version to version. If you only flash system and modem you're not taking advantage of any changes brought forth from the other partitions that deal with different parts of the hardware and interact with each other. Eliminater74 created full update zips for the T-Mobile v10, from the kdz's, that flashed all partitions through TWRP and had all traces of stock recovery/scripts removed. When updating that way I had no problems. (Unless it was truly an LG bug)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using XDA Labs

Thanks for letting me know. I never really thought about the other files in the kdz so never realized they were updating other partitions. I took a peek at elimiater74's zip's and it does look like he/she is doing exactly as you mentioned.

Taking this account, I tried pulling the OTA zip and do see the partitions being updated in it as well. With that I've gone ahead and made a v2 zip that updates all the partitions from the kdz.

@channeledbymodem: If you're willing and wouldn't mind giving it another whirl, see if the v2 gives you better battery life.

v2 download

channeledbymodem

Jan 14, 2013
New York
Google Pixel 6
While I'm glad you're on the right track I think I'm done experimenting with this tablet for now. The appeal of your zips was the option to flash them over marshmallow so as to avoid dirty cow. Having gone back to stock nougat and the pain of dirty cow I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. Sorry.

.fenrir

Nov 12, 2008
New York
While I'm glad you're on the right track I think I'm done experimenting with this tablet for now. The appeal of your zips was the option to flash them over marshmallow so as to avoid dirty cow. Having gone back to stock nougat and the pain of dirty cow I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. Sorry.

It's all good. Nothing wrong with that. I only made the zips to keep my tablet up to date while staying rooted. I figured I'd make them available for others while I was at it.

Airtioteclint

Nov 20, 2012
It's all good. Nothing wrong with that. I only made the zips to keep my tablet up to date while staying rooted. I figured I'd make them available for others while I was at it.

20mv2 working great. Clean flashed from resurrection remix without losing twrp. Thanks.

One question is does the modem come in these or do we have to flash them separately. I took a peek inside and saw a modem file but no holos.bin so I wasn't sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer:
    I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone as a result of installing this rom. You do so at your own risk and take responsibility upon yourself.

About:
    The Stock ROMs posted here are extracted from official LG KDZ files for the T-Mobile LG G Pad X 8.0 | v521 | b3.

Only change made on ROM was to prevent stock recovery from restoring itself

ROM includes modem/radio, however you can also manually flash the modem/radio from here

root is NOT included. However feel free to flash your choice of root with Magisk, SuperSU, or any others at anytime to get root.

Info:
    • Android version: 7.0
    • Kernel version: 3.10.84
    • Build number: NRD90U
    • init.d support
    • forceencrypt disabled

Requirements:
    Your device must be or have been on 20f or newer at one point or another. If your device has always been on Marshmallow and has never been updated to Nougat by kdz or OTA, you'll need to upgrade to Nougat and re-root first. (Thank to monkeyass408 for verifying)
    You can follow this guide to do so: Guide to Update V521 LG GPAD X 8.0 to 7.0 and Root

You must have TWRP or another custom recovery already installed in order to flash this rom.

Instructions:
    1. Download the version of your choice from below.
    2. Boot into TWRP and make a backup. You may want to remove any lock screen security before doing this as restoring with lock screen may cause unexpected issues.
    3. Optional: Wipe data and/or system. As of TWRP 3.1.1.0, you will want to reboot recovery after wiping data/system before flashing as TWRP may get stuck on a black screen during the flashing process without a reboot.
    4. Flash ROM.
    5. Optional: Flash the disable OTA zip to prevent and disable official LG OTA updates & notifications
    6. Reboot and you should be all set.

Downloads: (Listed by Sofware version / Android security patch level)
    Note: As of 2017-02-21, TWRP 3.0.2-0, will sometimes give the error "Failed to map file" when attempting to flash this rom. Rebooting TWRP will resolve it and allow you to flash the zip.

v52120n >> Apr 1, 2018

v52120m >> Feb 1, 2018

v52120l >> Dec 1, 2017

v52120k >> Oct 1, 2017

v52120j >> Aug 1, 2017

v52120i >> Jun 1, 2017

v52120h >> Apr 1, 2017

v52120g >> Feb 1, 2017

v52120f >> Dec 1, 2016

All Stock ROMs Folder

Disable Stock OTA
    Note: This should prevent you from verifying and updating via OTA. The OTA notification may still pop up but it should go away when you attempt to update after flashing this. I haven't fully tested this so backup first and don't be surprised if it returns you to full stock.

Credits/Thanks:
    tungkick for the initial root method
    shabbypenguin for TWRP on the LG G Pad X
    All other devs who make rom building possible
    20l has been added. I also realized on the older files I accidentally called the device 8.3 instead of 8.0 in the zip so that's been corrected now.

Hello,
    The V52120l_00_1201.kdz is OTA, so could you please make the lastest ROM base on V52120l_00_1201.kdz

thanks in advance

Thanks for the heads up. Been busy with the holidays so didn't have a chance to do anything.

@ .fenrir: I appreciate all the work you've done on this and don't really need the monthly patches. Is there a way to disable ota download and notification on a rooted tablet?

Thanks.

When rooted, you should be able to delete /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip which should prevent the device from verifying for the OTA. Afterwards if the OTA was already downloaded on the device, you can delete the OTA update file at /cache/update.zip . That SHOULD be enough to do it but I won't make any guarantees until I get a chance to test it as you would probably need to delete the other LGFOTA as well. I'll make a flashable zip for it later on if necessary/when I get a chance.
    Long overdue but added 20h, 20i, and 20j.

Decided to get rid of AROMA and root selection so any root method can be manually flashed afterwards.
    Stock recovery shouldn't restore itself now. init.d support and forceencrypt is set to disabled by default since TWRP doesn't play along nicely with encrypt anyways.
    20mv2 working great. Clean flashed from resurrection remix without losing twrp. Thanks.

One question is does the modem come in these or do we have to flash them separately. I took a peek inside and saw a modem file but no holos.bin so I wasn't sure.

Yep, I've always included the modem in them. The modem.bin is pretty much it. v2 also includes the other partitions now, something I left out until it was pointed out to me by skywalker-live.

I presume most people will likely just flash the newest but perhaps I should update the older versions to include all partitions as well.

Am I the only one who can't use any variation of lineage nougat because the tablet won't charge?

Sent from my LG G2 using XDA Labs

Sorry I can't help much there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Can this be flashed over marshmallow 10c? If so, what should be wiped? Thanks.

Yes you can flash this over Marshmallow v52110c. Technically a dirty flash (no wipe) would work fine but you never know so don't be surprised if issues spring up. After you flash the rom, since you're upgrading from Marshmallow, you'll want to update the radios too. The flashable zips for it can be found @ https://xdaforums.com/lg-g-pad-83/development/firmware-modem-flashable-modem-zips-t-t3564590. I'd recommend flashing the respective radio of the Nougat version you end up using.