• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] VillainROM 1.0 for the Samsung Galaxy Ace (2.3.3/lightweight)

Search This thread

nprussell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2009
VillainROM 1.0 for the Samsung Galaxy Ace

As I have mentioned previously, this isn’t the magical custom ROM you have all been waiting for, YET. It’s a base that I have created in order for me to work on over the next few days/weeks/months. As I have said a few times now, don’t expect it to be HUGELY different to stock KPE at this stage.

- Based on Samsung’s XXPE Gingerbread build
- Pre-rooted with Superuser installed
- De-odexed (improving free space on /system)
- All APKs PNG optimized and zip-aligned
- A few minor tweaks which should improve free memory – please let me know
- Full battery alert removed (no more 3am wake ups!)
- Added GenieWidget (News and Weather)
- Added Gallery3D
- Added Stock Gingerbread Launcher and REMOVED TouchWizLauncher.apk
- Menu key will now unlock the phone on the lock screen
- SOME bloatware removed
- Huge APN list
- Annoying boot sound removed
- Light weight – stripped down the build a bit without losing functionality

See.. as I said, it’s lightweight and just a base at this stage. My work will continue over the next couple of weeks, so expect to see (COMING SOON):

- Custom OC/UV kernel
- ClockWorkMod Recovery
- Add advanced power menu options (Reboot, Recovery, Download and Wipe Data (+ confirmation)
- 2.3.4 additions

Please use this thread for any requests you may have regarding this ROM in the following thread. Please don’t spam it, this is purely for requests only. I will look into each request and let you know if/when it will be implemented.

Instructions:

RECOMMENDED BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
Perform a full wipe of data/cache. Dial *#*#7780#*#* from your current ROM, and this will wipe data and perform a factory reset.

1. Download the zip file from the bottom of this thread and extract it
2. Boot your phone into download mode, and connect it to the PC
3. Open ODIN – you should see a COM port in yellow.
4. Click Ops and select Cooper
5. Click Boot and select APB_Bootxxxx.tar (not necessary if coming from KPE)
6. Click Phone and select Modem_xxxxx.tar (not necessary if coming from KPE)
7. Click PDA and select AceVR.tar.md5

IGNORE THE 2 POP-UP ERROR MESSAGES ABOUT INVALID BINARY – THIS IS NORMAL.

8. Once complete, the phone will reboot.

Now, please post any opinions, comments or feedback in this thread, and any requests here.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...or-the-Samsung-Galaxy-Ace-(2.3.3-lightweight)

KNOWN BUGS:

- Wifi still has issues with some SD cards

nprussell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2009
1. Thank you! I guess I'm gonna give this a try tomorrow.
2. Did you build in Darktremor a2sd?
3. What are the Wifi/SD card issues?

1. You're welcome
2. No I didn't but if you could link the post for me I will happily include it as an option
3. Wifi driver stops responding with certain SD cards - it doesn't seem to affect me with most of my SD cards, but I don't use this phone as a daily - I work full time in Android and have access to most android phones. I just felt sorry for you guys having no ROM and support whatsoever.

There's also quite a lot of you that own the phone, so it's crazy that not many have picked it up yet from a development perspective.

Anyway, I'll try to get you to a level that you're happy with (custom kernels, CWM, and a rom or two), then I'll move along.

Hopefully, by then, many of you guys will start experimenting with ROMs yourself. It becomes a lot easier when you've got a custom recovery image in place! :)

ysgace

Apr 23, 2011
The link to Darktremor's apps2sd is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715116.

I definitely want to start trying to play about with custom ROMs but I'm totally new to Android. So far I've managed to unpack and repack the boot.img in order to modify init.rc but I haven't built anything as such. I'd love to get involved in trying to port CWM to the SGA but I don't know where to start. Happy to help though if I can.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA App

cadav3r17

Apr 21, 2010
Marilao

As I have mentioned previously, this isn’t the magical custom ROM you have all been waiting for, YET. It’s a base that I have created in order for me to work on over the next few days/weeks/months. As I have said a few times now, don’t expect it to be HUGELY different to stock KPE at this stage.

- Added Gallery3D
- SOME bloatware removed
- Huge APN list

See.. as I said, it’s lightweight and just a base at this stage. My work will continue over the next couple of weeks, so expect to see (COMING SOON):

- Custom OC/UV kernel
- ClockWorkMod Recovery
- Add advanced power menu options (Reboot, Recovery, Download and Wipe Data (+ confirmation)
- 2.3.4 additions

Please use this thread for any requests you may have regarding this ROM in the following thread. Please don’t spam it, this is purely for requests only. I will look into each request and let you know if/when it will be implemented.

Instructions:

Perform a full wipe of data/cache. Dial *#*#7780#*#* from your current ROM, and this will wipe data and perform a factory reset.

Now, please post any opinions, comments or feedback in this thread, and any requests here.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...or-the-Samsung-Galaxy-Ace-(2.3.3-lightweight)

KNOWN BUGS:

waw thanks sir for this one. your the man.... muah :D

digkong

Jan 6, 2011
bangalore
dude the link in villiam sites not working....and some people added copper file...i want to know whats the purpose ....and can u upload a single file including CSC and copper

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- Added Gallery3D
    - SOME bloatware removed
    - Huge APN list

- Custom OC/UV kernel
    - ClockWorkMod Recovery
    - 2.3.4 additions

Instructions:

DOWNLOAD LINK:

KNOWN BUGS:

i guess the developer again is gng to take 3 mnths to take out another update.....:mad::mad::mad:

Two words for you. **** off.

To everyone else... I was dropping by to give you an update! Most of you guys don't know me, as you've only recently visited the VR website for the first time.
    I work full time in Android development for a company in the USA, and I live in the UK. I have been awake since Sunday (for flights home), and was out at the theme parks in Orlando all weekend.

I need to sleep and have the day off today, but I plan on resuming work for this phone tomorrow and Thursday. To the patient guys out there, I'll try not to keep you waiting too long! For the impatient guys out there, please refer to the aformentioned 'two words'. ;)
    Hi everyone...

just a little update!

I have had the flu for four days now (and counting), but I am currently sat at my PC with an Ace next to me.

It's second on my 'to-do' list.

I'll try and give you guys another update later today :)

Thanks for your patience.
    VillainROM 1.0 With Darktremor Apps2SD

I had some spare time today so I repackaged the @nprussell's VillainROM to include Darmtremor Apps2SD. So it's transparent what's been done, I followed the instructions on http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=158823170833688 (BusyBox RunParts method) and the Apps2SD version is 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715116).

You can get the ROM from http://www.multiupload.com/WV6XJEFOGX.

Also, if you go to http://beta.swype.com/ you can register for the beta program and install Swype.
    CSC file will be uploaded to thread on VillainROM.co.uk if you need that (ie - coming from old firmware version)