Retired Recognized Developer
- Jun 13, 2010
After asking around, I determined there was some interest in a simple, mostly-stock ROM based on the official HTC Sense/Froyo v3.26.605.1 release with only essential changes made; so I decided to go ahead and create one.
- Based entirely off the off the the official HTC Sense/Froyo v3.26.605.1 release (pulled from signed RUU); which is being rolled out by Verizon via OTA as the final build.
- Moved some stock applications to /data/app, so they can easily be removed. To be clear, these apps remain enabled but can now be optionally removed using any Android uninstaller, rather than having to do it manually. This includes: App Sharing, Adobe Flashplayer, Car Panel, Flashlight, GenieWidget, PDFViewer, Quickoffice, Teeter, My Verizon, 3G Hotspot and YouTube.
- All apps placed in /data/app by the ROM will be automatically restored after a date wipe or factory reset (a special feature of this ROM). These apps can be freely uninstalled via Settings->Applications or the uninstaller of your choice. Note: They will return when the ROM is re-installed or upgraded.
- Disabled applications which the majority seems to agree are bloat, unneeded or can installed from the Market. This includes: Amazon MP3, City ID, HTC Footprints/Widget, VZ Navigator, Skype. If you decide you would like to use any of these apps, the APKs are available in the "system/virtuous" directory.
- Numerous customization options via ROM Manager, such as Virtuous' EZ-Customizer which allows removal of more stock apps without the use of adb or shell, status bar mods provided by pmf, Incredible Revolution theme and more.
- Automatic Virtuous OTA upgrade notification and installation via ROM Manager.
- Minor theme modifications to remove GPS locator icon in the status bar and add transparency to the notification pull down menu. Thanks to pardonmyfreedom (aka pmf) and aiccucs for doing the work.
- Added the Busybox installer application to allow upgrades as they become available. When running the installer, make sure to select /system/xbin as the destination.
- Updated Adobe Flash to the official release provided to N1 users via the Market.
- Updated Google Search and Google Voice Search to the latest Market versions.
- Updated Gmail 2.2.1. The default ROM includes 2.2, so this is a minor upgrade to the latest version available.
- Audio fixes to correct slow playback ("devil voices") of Flash videos on certain sites.
- Removed startup "Drooooooid" sound. It was annoying.
- Added the bash shell for those who work in adb or ssh into their phones. Just run "bash" to use it (it is not the default shell for compatibility reasons).
- Removed cdrom.iso to avoid being prompted to install Verzion/HTC hardware when the device is connected via USB.
- You must be rooted, have nand unlocked and be running a 2.x radio. Follow dadicus' guide for details on how to perform these steps.
- Perform a nandroid backup of your current ROM, in case you change your mind or encounter issues.
- If you are coming from another completely stock ROM (i.e. Sense 2.1 or 2.2), you may not have to wipe data. I obviously recommend wiping data (since it will eliminate any possibly bad/stale configuration), but the update script will not do so automatically during installation. Use your best judgement to determine what works best for you.
- Wipes are NOT required for any upgrade to/from any 2.x version of the ROM; downgrades are a different story.
- Apply the zip via Clockwork Recovery. It has not been tested with any other recovery.
- Expect the first boot to take anywhere from 6-10 minutes. Subsequent reboots should be significantly quicker.
As with any modification (ROM, patch, etc), you run the risk of damaging your device. While unlikely, it is important to consider this possibility before proceeding. I take no responsibility for any such damage, data loss or otherwise.