Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bagnz0r

Feb 14, 2012
Szczecinek
bagnz0r.pl
Howdy.

I'm back to Android development (as mentioned on Twitter).
Let this thread be here, while I work on something that is worth showing you.

Do I care for the fact that Samsung wants to release 4.1 by themselves? Nope.
I'm sick of running stock 2.3 firmware. It's virtually unusable.
Now enlighten me where I can get original digitizer for Ace 2. Let's say I have a defected unit.
Glass cracked just from putting it on the table (gently)... And then 5 days later again, after doing the same thing.

Might catch me here often: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coding-rant

This is a part of Sakura AOSP Project.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34665967

Wise words:
While Android is opensource, not everything needs to be opensource. If a company doesn't want to publisch the board-support-package, they don't have to. At that point, you have to write this bsp yourself.... Which can only be done by reseverse engineering. A company like ST Ericsson develops a chipset. A team of more then 10 people is then involved to port Android to this chipset. They look for clients and to every client they dedicate a special team that helps the client (Samsung in this case, but also Sony) to adopt this port to their needs and their platform. The client then ports their layer (Touchwiz for Samsung) to the new platfrom. So you're looking at maybee 30 people involved to get Android up, running and bug-free on a one specific phone..... People who get payed to do this at work. People who will get paid extra time if needed. People who do this as a day job.

Now, let's get back to XDA. We're looking here at one to two active developers who do the porting in their spare time. They are not getting paid for it. They just do it for the trill, so let's stop asking them for timelines or updates. Let's keep it a fun thing for them to do. If not.... Wel... if it's not fun anymore for them to share their work.... they will simple stop sharing and they have all the rights in the world to stop sharing!

bangz0r, keep up the good work :)

Last edited:

bagnz0r

Feb 14, 2012
Szczecinek
bagnz0r.pl
People who work on this project.
- marcin1147
- bagnz0r

Good news, it builds.
Sc0Q

Last edited:

bagnz0r

Feb 14, 2012
Szczecinek
bagnz0r.pl
are you building in windows? how?
P.S if u want help im here:p
I'd rather use Windows as my desktop OS at home rather than garbage such as Ubuntu. By far, Ubuntu is the worst Linux distribution after openSUSE and Mandriva.

Well, I have a dedicated server set-up remotely that's running Debian 6. :)
Like I said, I'd build on my Mac but MacPorts isn't cooperating.

http://f.o323.com/23U8 (huge image)

Did try to build with standard setup on Mac, didn't work well. Spit out dozens of issues.
That's sort of bad because building is really fast on i7. :/

EDIT:
If it's really worth any trouble and this thing really fires up as intended, then I will set a git repo up.
...If it's not, I'll dispose of this phone and get Xperia S.

Last edited:

bagnz0r

Feb 14, 2012
Szczecinek
bagnz0r.pl
Yeah good luck! I hope it Will boot :)
And of course thanks for your work.

Should thank to marcin1147 too. He's great help.
Watch my stream daily guys, I like to show thinks I'm working on and perhaps talk opinions.

EDIT:
Hell, if it doesn't boot - one good thing there is to Samsung is that their devices are unbrickable.

Last edited:

arroyo

Mar 14, 2009
Bydgoszcz
bagnz0r, you are back ! ? !

I thought that you left Android for good (according to your twitter some time ago) and moved to iPhore or Nookia or something like that.
I bought ACE 2 just because you did it. If JB for I8160 will be the same quality like ICS for Galaxy ACE, then we are saved.
bagnz0r, marcin1147 and Maclaw in the team ... oh ... it is gonna be zajebiście !

arroyo

Mar 14, 2009
Bydgoszcz
Regarding broken digitalizer:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-for-samsung-galaxy-ace-2-i8160-digitizer.html
This site is chinese, but they are trustworthy. They never charge you with shipping cost and they always know how to "fix" the problem with taxes, fees 'n stuff.
You can always buy digitalizer from here:
http://allegro.pl/dotyk-szybka-digitizer-sam-i8160-galaxy-ace-2-wym-i2748472924.html

If you will change it youself, can you make some photos from opened I8160. I would like to see what kind of Proximity sensor they've put in Ace2. I think there is light sensor inside, but i just want to be 100% sure. Also it will be helpfull for DYI purposes.

Reactions: bagnz0r

bagnz0r

Feb 14, 2012
Szczecinek
bagnz0r.pl
Regarding broken digitalizer:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-for-samsung-galaxy-ace-2-i8160-digitizer.html
This site is chinese, but they are trustworthy. They never charge you with shipping cost and they always know how to "fix" the problem with taxes, fees 'n stuff.
You can always buy digitalizer from here:
http://allegro.pl/dotyk-szybka-digitizer-sam-i8160-galaxy-ace-2-wym-i2748472924.html

If you will change it youself, can you make some photos from opened I8160. I would like to see what kind of Proximity sensor they've put in Ace2. I think there is light sensor inside, but i just want to be 100% sure. Also it will be helpfull for DYI purposes.

Yes, I will be taking it apart myself. Adventure. :3

Reactions: Fatman92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Howdy.

I'm back to Android development (as mentioned on Twitter).
    Let this thread be here, while I work on something that is worth showing you.

Do I care for the fact that Samsung wants to release 4.1 by themselves? Nope.
    I'm sick of running stock 2.3 firmware. It's virtually unusable.
    Now enlighten me where I can get original digitizer for Ace 2. Let's say I have a defected unit.
    Glass cracked just from putting it on the table (gently)... And then 5 days later again, after doing the same thing.

Might catch me here often: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coding-rant

This is a part of Sakura AOSP Project.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34665967

Wise words:
    While Android is opensource, not everything needs to be opensource. If a company doesn't want to publisch the board-support-package, they don't have to. At that point, you have to write this bsp yourself.... Which can only be done by reseverse engineering. A company like ST Ericsson develops a chipset. A team of more then 10 people is then involved to port Android to this chipset. They look for clients and to every client they dedicate a special team that helps the client (Samsung in this case, but also Sony) to adopt this port to their needs and their platform. The client then ports their layer (Touchwiz for Samsung) to the new platfrom. So you're looking at maybee 30 people involved to get Android up, running and bug-free on a one specific phone..... People who get payed to do this at work. People who will get paid extra time if needed. People who do this as a day job.

Now, let's get back to XDA. We're looking here at one to two active developers who do the porting in their spare time. They are not getting paid for it. They just do it for the trill, so let's stop asking them for timelines or updates. Let's keep it a fun thing for them to do. If not.... Wel... if it's not fun anymore for them to share their work.... they will simple stop sharing and they have all the rights in the world to stop sharing!

bangz0r, keep up the good work :)
    @Jonny:
    Thanks. I have a certain proposal that could resolve such incidents. I'll PM over later on.
    I never ask for donations. I only tell people who *demand* that I work on something that they should pay me if they don't like the way I handle things.
    Brutal, but true.

E: I'm building 4.1.2 tonight.
    I am about to flash!
    6nzG,
    We'll continue tomorrow.
    We seem to know the right way to get this thing up.
    lWell, here i am with a HUGE list post.

1. I want to say that i live in Colombia. Maybe a lot of you doesn't even know smething about my country but i tell you this: isn't like any europe country (except for those in bankrupt), so there is no great flow of money. I live in the Colombia's Capital, Bogotá and i see a LOT of people with the PHABLET (because is not a phone, not yet a tablet) SGSIII, so for most humans beings is not about money, is more like something about status. "wow, yo have an SGSIII, you are a rich person" and stupidities like that. It's funny to see how the phone industry goes back to the past, when having a cell phone was like carrying a brick in your pocket. They're getting bigger and bigger. I personally prefer "small" screens (until 4.0") and if i want more, 7.0" tablets are just fine for me.

2. I have been in a such disgrace with android fragmentation. My first android phone was motorola defy, i don't know if any of here knows about that device so i'm going to summarize: it's have a single processor at 800 mhz out of the box, 512 mb, android 2.1 and it's a ip67 devices (that's mean is almost all-resistant). motorola just provide official update until 2.3 (gingerbread) after that, leaves defy. Thanksfully i have count with a mighty dev like Quarx with a defy, so i used to have defy even with latest jelly bean flawlessly thanks to quarx until i had lost it. Then, i buyed sony xperia sola, a similar ace 2 phone ( same SoC and memory). it has 2.3.6 out of the box, it got the upgrade to ics and recently sony screw things saying that our sola isn't going to get JB (surely just for selling more under-selling phones which actually going to get JB on their ****ty nand).

3. About developing, i'm interesting in porting AOSP to xperia sola using the propietary binaries from s3 mini open source as well (check this) , so i have been thinking...why we don't make a collaborative platform to working in android for Novathor across different devices? Maybe in that way, we could make more progress that working in independent projects....