[ROM][WIP/Experimental][AOSP][4.3.1] Google Edition for SGS4A (int'l) v0.8

Search This thread

frater

Aug 10, 2005
I tried your slim ROM before this one, but wasn't successful trying to get it stable. This one is, although it says WIP.

can't I use folders on the desktop with Google launcher? I am used to having all my apps on 1 screen. Do I have to switch launcher for this?
Another downer is that I can't get viper4android to work. Is this to be expected out should I continue to troubleshoot?

I like it and I'm glad I'm rid of all these Samsung apps. I did debloat my stock ROM though.

Thanks.
I hope you continue to work on this ROM.

Cheers

Last edited:

ohwarumbloss

Oct 9, 2010
Kalletal
Hey!
About the location, I had to run Maps and wait 1-2 Minutes till I got a lock. But then, all location services worked.

Launcher, the Stock Launcher is very very simple. Try "Apex" from Market, it's free, close to Stock but highly customisable.

About App restore from Market, probably this is normal. If I remember right, I had the same thing when moving from Sammy Phone (S2) to Nexus7..

Sent from my GT-I9295 using xda app-developers app

frater

Aug 10, 2005
Hey!
About the location, I had to run Maps and wait 1-2 Minutes till I got a lock. But then, all location services worked.

Launcher, the Stock Launcher is very very simple. Try "Apex" from Market, it's free, close to Stock but highly customisable.

About App restore from Market, probably this is normal. If I remember right, I had the same thing when moving from Sammy Phone (S2) to Nexus7..

When I had to name my first company 25 years ago I "stole" the name "Apex" from an obscure small company in the US.
Soon after I found out there are thousands of companies with that name...
I will give it a try... Would that be your favourite?

ohwarumbloss

Oct 9, 2010
Kalletal
When I had to name my first company 25 years ago I "stole" the name "Apex" from an obscure small company in the US.
Soon after I found out there are thousands of companies with that name...
I will give it a try... Would that be your favourite?

LoL nice story!!
Yes, I always use Apex. It's just the best (I think)

frater

Aug 10, 2005
Somehow all my WiFi AP's are removed from my Google account.
If I restore them using Titanium I can see them with "WiFi Key Recovery", but I can't connect with it.

If I access an AP and submit the password all the AP's are gone (except that 1 AP).

Is it related to this ROM?

I somehow resolved...
"Somehow" because I went from 104 AP's to 76,
I already noticed I was unable to do an XML-backup of WiFi using Titanium.
My latest XML-backup was October last year and the latest Binary-Backup was November.
Restoring the older XML-backup fixed everything.
I'm now able to do both the backups again (XML and Binary) in Titanium. Did loose 30 AP's, but these will come back in time....

Last edited:

spegelius

Mar 29, 2011
Oulu
Thanks for looking at the Glove Mode, I got the same empty response you did. Also the init.d script install stated it already existed when I tried.

I was finally able to configure my test install of 4.3.1, adding and configuring all my apps. There are two things I have found that are stoppers for me now. One is location access. I keep getting asked to enable location access, but it is enabled. I've used the Google Now screenshot and location settings since I do not have to obscure personal data.

The second is the backup and restore of settings and apps due to the fact that my account is not listed, but "debug-only private cache" is, Screenshots below.

Again, super work, and I look forward to running this as my daily driver instead of the 4.2.2 port.

I'll do more testing with the glove mode at some point.

I had some problems with locations when i first flashed the latest build, Beautiful Widgets wouldn't get a location and complained about Location providers even thoug i had gps and network location enabled. But, i tested that with SlimBean also and the results were similar. Now, Beautiful Widgets updated recently and now it's working... weird. Also for me, Google Now complains about location settings. Dang, i've been comparing logs between Slim and this and there's no difference in logcat regarding location services. Oh well...

Also that debug-only cache... i have that too, but no idea what it means. Maybe something related to this build being a userdebug, not release.

spegelius

Mar 29, 2011
Oulu
I tried your slim ROM before this one, but wasn't successful trying to get it stable. This one is, although it says WIP.

can't I use folders on the desktop with Google launcher? I am used to having all my apps on 1 screen. Do I have to switch launcher for this?
Another downer is that I can't get viper4android to work. Is this to be expected out should I continue to troubleshoot?

I like it and I'm glad I'm rid of all these Samsung apps. I did debloat my stock ROM though.

Thanks.
I hope you continue to work on this ROM.

Cheers

Hmm, by folders, do you mean ... folders :D? Yeah, with Google launcher, just drag and icon over another icon and a folder is created. No idea about viper4android (related to sound?), might need some libs or something?

spegelius

Mar 29, 2011
Oulu
Somehow all my WiFi AP's are removed from my Google account.
If I restore them using Titanium I can see them with "WiFi Key Recovery", but I can't connect with it.

If I access an AP and submit the password all the AP's are gone (except that 1 AP).

Is it related to this ROM?

I somehow resolved...
"Somehow" because I went from 104 AP's to 76,
I already noticed I was unable to do an XML-backup of WiFi using Titanium.
My latest XML-backup was October last year and the latest Binary-Backup was November.
Restoring the older XML-backup fixed everything.
I'm now able to do both the backups again (XML and Binary) in Titanium. Did loose 30 AP's, but these will come back in time....

Hmm, could be the rom, could be Google's code. A logcat might reveal if there's some sort of limit in AP storage, or if Titanium simply crashes when parsing that amount of AP's (personally i've had only 10 or so max)

frater

Aug 10, 2005
Hmm, by folders, do you mean ... folders :D? Yeah, with Google launcher, just drag and icon over another icon and a folder is created. No idea about viper4android (related to sound?), might need some libs or something?

It works as you described.... but only after installing Nova Launcher.
It was not working with the original launcher...
First time I bumped into this...

Last edited:

ohwarumbloss

Oct 9, 2010
Kalletal
@spegelius, getting position with maps didn't help? Once I had it locked, weather widget (cLock) worked fine.
Right now I'm on CM because I didn't figure how to get the AOSP to dual boot :( and I need Sammy sometimes..

spegelius

Mar 29, 2011
Oulu
@spegelius, getting position with maps didn't help? Once I had it locked, weather widget (cLock) worked fine.
Right now I'm on CM because I didn't figure how to get the AOSP to dual boot :( and I need Sammy sometimes..

Nope, Google now refuses to see that network location is on. I installed CM (testing the kernel changes i did yesterday) and on it there's lot less LocSvc prints on logcat... i'l have to dig more thoroughly.

Reactions: Pkt_Lnt

alirey

Mar 6, 2012
Berlin
OnePlus 9 Pro
Nope, Google now refuses to see that network location is on. I installed CM (testing the kernel changes i did yesterday) and on it there's lot less LocSvc prints on logcat... i'l have to dig more thoroughly.

I had the same problem with network location on Sammy Rom (GPS worked). Switched to slimrom and network location is now working.
I suspected xposed framework :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9295 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ohwarumbloss

Oct 9, 2010
Kalletal
Installed 05 again today and for location:
Go outside
Start Maps
Wait
Get a lock (yes you will)
End Maps
Start GPS Status from Playstore
Calibrate Compass (I had to do it 2 times)
Be happy with Location Services :)

For the Launcher
To create a Folder, just drag 2 apps together, it will create a Folder. Worked for me but I still prefer Apex.

Greetings
Thomas

Edit, nah, it won't work inside. Maybe it can't get location via Network/WiFi?

Last edited:

spegelius

Mar 29, 2011
Oulu
Installed 05 again today and for location:
Go outside
Start Maps
Wait
Get a lock (yes you will)
End Maps
Start GPS Status from Playstore
Calibrate Compass (I had to do it 2 times)
Be happy with Location Services :)

For the Launcher
To create a Folder, just drag 2 apps together, it will create a Folder. Worked for me but I still prefer Apex.

Greetings
Thomas

Edit, nah, it won't work inside. Maybe it can't get location via Network/WiFi?

Yes, it seems to be something with network location, dunno what yet.

I uploaded ver 0.6 to Google drive. There's also dualboot version available now and system is not formatted during install. Contains the kernel changes i did, no visible change in usage.

Oh and i finally figured out why the need to copy libbt-vendor.so from CM: a) it's not Qualcom bt, it's Broadcom bt. b) Google's Broadcom hardware libs didn't account for vendor dependent files. Using CM's libs, all works well

Edit: oh and Backup now shows my account properly, not the debug-only cache thingamajig. Dunno what i did, but i did it fine :D
Edit2: crap, it was CM not AOSP. >:|

Last edited:

Pkt_Lnt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
Yes, it seems to be something with network location, dunno what yet.

I uploaded ver 0.6 to Google drive. There's also dualboot version available now and system is not formatted during install. Contains the kernel changes i did, no visible change in usage.

Oh and i finally figured out why the need to copy libbt-vendor.so from CM: a) it's not Qualcom bt, it's Broadcom bt. b) Google's Broadcom hardware libs didn't account for vendor dependent files. Using CM's libs, all works well

Edit: oh and Backup now shows my account properly, not the debug-only cache thingamajig. Dunno what i did, but i did it fine :D
Edit2: crap, it was CM not AOSP. >:|

Downloading now, will install tomorrow when i have time.

OT - got a link to what I need to be able to dual boot? I'm not finding it for the I-9295.

leonpr

Feb 1, 2011
Hertford
Hey. Thanks for the ROM. Always nice to see something in development for the i9295.

I stuck 0.6 on my S4A today and all looking good so far except I'm getting a "cannot connect to camera" message when opening the camera app (or Snapchat)

Quick search has someone with the same issue on page 1 but the following posts are more focused on restoring root.

Any ideas?

Clean install.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What?

• work in progress build of AOSP, using LeJay's CM kernel sources and device files, modified to play ball with AOSP
    • some stuff copied from CM, to make build happen (bionic, assorted libs and stuff in external and system)
    • build makefiles modified, using CM files where possible
    • some small code modifications
    • for I9295 international only
    • stuff is broken, for how long i do not know. I'm still learning this stuff :)
    • DISCLAIMER: You take responsibility of your phone and what you flash into it, not me. You are warned

How?

Credits
    • Google for Android (and Google search, boy this wouldn't have happened without it ;) )
    • CyanogenMod for stuff i'm using to make this happen
    • SlimRom guys
    • LeJay for jactivelte kernel sources and other stuff
    • ohwarumbloss for testing CM builds and donations
    • Chainfire for root
    • other donators and testers :)

Changes v0.8
    • Video preview fixed
    • sub-1080p video recording fixed
    • Audio volume settings copied from SlimRom jf-common, more volume

Changes v0.7.1
    • Only kernel changes
    • Newer Broadcom wireless drivers from S4 CM 10.2 kernel
    • EXT4 and JBD2 drivers from S4 CM 10.2 kernel
    • MSM-8960 related stuff from S4 CM 10.2 kernel
    • Assorted stuff from S4 CM 10.2 kernel, check the commits in https://github.com/spegelius/android_kernel_samsung_jactivelte if interested (and if something seems wrong, please tell me :)

Changes v0.7

Changes v0.6
    • dualboot version available
    • some merges from S4 kernel, no changes in functionality
    • cwm update script doesn't format system anymore
    • libbt-vendor natively built instead copy from CM build. No change in functionality

Changes v0.5
    • Sdcard should now work (FAT32 at least, report exfat)
    • Sports Tracker doesn't crash UI when 'network' location provider isn't found

Changes v0.3 & 0.4

• [*]Receiving calls fixed
    • Hanging up the call fixed
    • NFC doesn't crash on the background anymore, cannot test though
    • Bluetooth fixed, using lib from CM build

Changes v0.2
    • WiFi dhcp fixed
    • SuperSu included
    • init.d support
    • bash included
    • Bluetooth updates, but no full fix yet

Bugs v0.8
    • Whoa, are there any? :)

Bugs v0.7.1
    • Camera: 720p recording produces crappy videos
    • Camera: during video recording the preview is very low resolution

Bugs v0.6
    • Some problems with locations, network locaion isn't really enabled
    • Backup account set to debug-only private cache for some users

Bugs v0.5
    • Some problems with locations

Fixed Bugs
    • Sdcard doesn't mount
    • Cannot receive calls
    • Cannot hang up a call
    • WiFi connects, but doesn't get IP address
    • Bluetooth service fails at start, bluetooth doesn't work
    • NFC seems to be crashing on the background
    • no root as of yet

Source code
    https://github.com/spegelius

Will be updating manifests and other stuff there when i figure a good way to get my changes there.

Oh and mods, if this fits the regular development section better, feel free to move it
    Uploading 0.7.1 now. Nothing has changed on the rom itself, only kernel changes

• Newer Broadcom wireless drivers from S4 CM 10.2 kernel
    • EXT4 and JBD2 drivers from S4 CM 10.2 kernel
    • MSM-8960 related stuff from S4 CM 10.2 kernel
    • Assorted stuff from S4 CM 10.2 kernel, check the commits in https://github.com/spegelius/android_kernel_samsung_jactivelte if interested (and if something seems wrong, please tell me :)

What i've tested myself, everything works as before. And actually not expecting drastic changes, the kernel has been working very well already.
    Whati i hoped to achieve was to get S4 and S4 Active kernels as close as possible and i'm happy about the results. Also, i hoped that the 720p recording would've been kernel related, but no. I did some camera debugging and what caught my eye is that even though the quality is set to 720p, debug say that resolution is set to 1920x1080. But needs more investigation.
    Hey. Thanks for the ROM. Always nice to see something in development for the i9295.

I stuck 0.6 on my S4A today and all looking good so far except I'm getting a "cannot connect to camera" message when opening the camera app (or Snapchat)

Quick search has someone with the same issue on page 1 but the following posts are more focused on restoring root.

Any ideas?

Clean install.

The issue with camera might be a leftover of my fiddling with some Qualcom camera sources and not cleaning the build env before building another one, yesterday i noticed that i didn't even have the camera app anymore. Sorry about that.

But don't worry, ver 0.7 is uploading :). Fixes:
    - the camera of course
    - network location finally working. Took some debugging, finally found out that the available location provider for network didn't have a god enough signature for ServiceWatcher. Googled the error and finally found a thread with some meaning which instructed how to add the damn provider to resource xml in frameworks/core.
    - Backup to google account: for those flashing cleanly, the setting should be on. For those dirtyflashing, you need to check this out: http://jftr.de/2014/01/fairphone-and-android-backups-to-the-google-cloud/
    Ok, some progress, even though i even lost root for a while. Damn i was losing my mind over it, but the it turned out to be a matter of su daemon not starting during boot. Added init.d support and proper init script for the daemon.

- wifi dhcp should work now. It was a matter of file permissions in /system/etc/dhcpd, run-hooks could not be executed. Noticed this when running dhcpd on adb shell. The cmw install script simply didn't set the perms...:eek:
    - included SuperSu to rom, root should work out of the box :)

Bluetooth is still buggy; it doesn't fc on boot, but now it fails after a little while, this time the problem is that there's no /dev/ttyO1 for some reason and bt libs cannot connect to it.

Ver 0.2 is uploading, test away
    Hey all,

found a way to mount the ext SD Card :victory:

mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -t vfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:33 /storage/sdcard1

Now this ROM is my daily driver...

edit: Ringtone issue is gone