Search This thread

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ ONYX ~
Windows Mobile 6.1 & 6.5 ROMs

(For Elf and Elfin - HTC Touch GSM only)

WM 6.5.x version: CE OS 5.2.23152 (Build 23152.5.3.12)
WM 6.5 version: CE OS 5.2.21889 (Build 21889.5.0.87)
WM 6.1 version: CE OS 5.2.21057 (Build 21057.1.6.10)

Click on image to zoom

Onyx with Windows Mobile 6.1 (above) ...
A version of Onyx without the Manila 2D interface is also available!

... and with Windows Mobile 6.5.x and 6.5 (below)

screen01fv.jpg
firstpage65.jpg

comparisonz.jpg

[PLEASE READ THE ONYX FAQ FIRST BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS]
[SEARCH THIS THREAD] [SEARCH THE FORUMS] [USE GOOGLE]

ONCE AGAIN, THESE ROMS ARE FOR THE HTC TOUCH GSM ONLY - A QVGA DEVICE THAT USES SIM CARDS THAT WAS RELEASED IN 2007 - THESE ROMS WILL NOT WORK WITH A CLONE OR CDMA TOUCH ANY OTHER DEVICE! PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FLASH A ROM - READ THE ONYX FAQ. FOR FURTHER QUESTIONS - READ THE ONYX FAQ. ;)

Download these cool utilities for your Elf - thanks to dioxda2

Click here to vote for Onyx in the Annual XDA Devvy Awards!

DOWNLOAD ROMS

Windows Mobile 6.5 ROMs

ONYX 6
Windows Mobile 6.5.x (new soft key menu; X button on bottom, better battery life than Onyx 5)
[Go to download]
[Language Packs - by alexeym]

ONYX 5
Original version of Windows Mobile 6.5 (less battery life than other versions)
[Go to download]

Windows Mobile 6.1 ROMs

ONYX 4 ULTIMATE / JR. / MICRO
Use these ROMs for best performance and battery life
[Go to download]

Donations are not necessary, but appreciated for my time and effort.
A small donation can go towards a toy for my daughter :)
Your name will be acknowledged in the ROM in the next release.

Additional ROM Details:

• ROM version: 3.14.706.02 WWE
  • UC 2.0-compliant ROM
  • ULDR partition removed, allowing 3MB extra storage
  • Rogers Name Display (for those who subscribe to this service)
  • Page Pool of 12MB for Elfins and 4MB for Elfs
  • psShutXP - a rare version with full shutdown capability!
  • EzInput Keyboard by DupinBJK (version RC2) - more support for languages than the one found in shipped ROMs
  • Updated Regional Settings - includes Chinese regions
  • No "butter finger" (unexpected scrolling) issue found in shipped ROM
  • No zero in-call volume issue found in shipped ROM
  • Power Settings will show exact battery % rather than bars
  • Streaming video support
  • Mortscript
  • Internet Sharing
  • ... and more

Removed from ROM:

These can be re-installed separately.
  • HTC Cube
  • Powerpoint
  • Adobe Reader
  • Solitare and Bubble Breaker
  • Windows Live Messenger
  • IA_Zip
  • HTC Home
  • Cyberon Voice Commander
  • JBlend Java
  • RSS Hub
  • Microsoft OneNote
  • SQL CE Mobile
  • Customer Experience Feedback
  • Service Quality Metrics (replaced with no2chem's dummy SQM)
  • IPSec VPN
  • Transcriber
  • Enterprise
  • Windows Update
  • ... and more

This mainly wouldn't have been made possible without the patience of my wife/child as I sat for hours and hours (and days and days!) learning and cooking at a PC! Also, I want to thank the following kind people, in no particular order:

Noonski, bepe, ayyu3m, !Aman!, pof, ababrekar, kokotas, gullum, Ervius, UDK, tupisdin, shafez,
beta testers, developers, and Elf forum readers!

Last edited:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Onyx FAQ (Part 1 of 2)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Part 1 of 2

Part 2 of FAQ is here (it's the next post in this thread)

First Time Users (Newbs)

Q. To what device can I flash Onyx?

A. This forum and this ROM are for GSM (SIM card) versions of HTC's 2007 Touch (Elf/Elfin) only. Please use common sense -- it's NOT for Vogue/Diamond/Cruise/HD/Omnia/Viva etc.

Q. I'm new... How do I install Onyx?

A. Follow these steps:

1. Optional: Find your device's CID and Device ID
  2. Optional: Make a backup of the stock ROM currently on your phone. If you have saved a shipped ROM that matches your CID and Device ID, then you can skip this.
  3. Install an IPL/USPL or HardSPL which removes the CID lock on your phone. HardSPL 3.10 and IPL 3.10 are recommended. (NOTE: HardSPL 3.14 causes increased battery drain!)
  4. Flash Onyx when the above steps have been completed
  5. After the ROM is flashed, and you completed the screen calibration, allow the Customization to start and finish. DO NOT reset the device during customization, because it performs necessary configurations for the ROM.
Ask about CID unlocking questions in another thread, not here... Or read the stickies at the top of the forum.

Q. After flashing Onyx, can I restore all programs that I backed up in my previous ROM (e.g. with Spb Backup)?

A. This is not recommended because it will mess up the registry. You can however restore your PIMs (calendar, contacts, SMS, etc.) without issues. To restore your old programs (CABs) automatically, use the User Customization method (see this link for details).

Onyx Versions

Q. What are the differences between Onyx Ultimate/Micro/Jr. and Onyx 5.x (and later)?

A. Please see the first post for a comparison chart. To add back missing programs, see below. You can automatically install them with the UC method.

1. WM6.1 Phone Canvas - more memory usage, has vibration-on-connect feature
  2. WM6.5 Phone Canvas and more from HTC Mega (YouTube etc.)
  3. YouTube: see attachment at the bottom of the FAQ
  4. HTC Album: this is required for the Photos tab in Jr.'s Manila2D to work
  5. Arcsoft MMS
  6. Large Title Bar: see attachment at the bottom of Part 2 of the FAQ (next post)
  7. Cyberon Voice Speed Dial
  8. Pocket Excel
  9. Opera Mini and JBed
  10. Audio Booster
Keyboards and SIPs

Q. I changed my Keyboard setting to another language but now the keyboard is blank!

A. You didn't install language files or configure them properly... See the answer in the next question.

Q. I want to change keyboard language to non-English.

A. Install languages from this thread (look for the post titled "Language Packs - QVGA"). When finished, go to Settings->Input->Full QWERTY->Options and select your language.

Q. How do I make my keyboard always use T9 without having to manually set it every time I open a new program (default is ABC currently)?

A. Open registry and set \HKLM\ Software\ Tegic\ eT9\ IME\ CarrierDefaultTextMode to either 1 (T9 always) or 0 (ABC always).

Q. I would like to back up my ET9 words database before I hard reset or re-flash device.

A. Back up these files in \Windows: eT9Rudb.Rdb, eT9Cdb.Cdb, eT9Asdb.Adb. Restore these files with Total Commander (the default File Explorer may not work).

Q. How do I make another keyboard (such as PCM Keyboard) as the default?

A. Two steps:
  1. Go to registry @ HKCU\Software\HTC\BootLauncher\Apps and remove the key called Startkey
  2. Then install SIPChange and run it to select your default input method.

Q. How do I enable the old drop-down style of Word Completion for keyboard, block recognizer, etc.?

A. Read this post.

Q. How do I enable Letter Recognizer and Block Recognizer in input menu?

A. Open the registry and change the following:

For letter recognizer:
Code:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42429690-AE04-11D0-A4F8-00AA00A749B9}\IsSIPInputMethod]
"Default"="1"

For block recognizer:
Code:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42429691-AE04-11D0-A4F8-00AA00A749B9}\IsSIPInputMethod]
"Default"="1"

Q. Is Transcriber found in this ROM?

A. No. You can search, or else try the one found here.

Customizing Manila 2D

Q. I want to change the Manila 2D clock or skin.

A. Clocks and Skins thread is here!

Install themes with M2D Customizer.

If you just want an analog clock on top of the existing Onyx theme, see here.

Q. I want Manila 2D in another language.

A. Check here. Turn off M2D in Settings->Today->Items, copy the new files to \Windows, and then turn M2D back on.

Q. I want to add or delete tabs in Manila 2D.

A. Run the M2D Customizer tool.

Q. How do I install rain animation in Manila2D Weather tab?

A. Unzip the attachment at the end of this post. There is no other weather animation available for M2D.

Q. How do I change left/right soft key on the Home tab??

A. Follow the instructions here .

Q. I am having problems installing new themes with M2D Customizer.

A. Copy a newer version of M2D to \Windows. Make sure you are also not installing the Footprints tab onto the default M2D found in Onyx.

Other Manila 2D Related Questions

Q. I have lots of M2D questions not answered here.

A. I don't know everything, so please consult this thread.

Q. I want Chinese fonts for M2D or other programs.

A. Download font here.

Q. Audio Manager / WMP stops playing music when I turn off device.

A. You need your headphones plugged in for music to continue playing while turned off. Otherwise, use psShutXP to turn backlight off, so you can still hear music.

Q. How do I get 24 hour clock?

A. Go to Regional Settings.

Q. How do I show album art for songs in Audio Manager?

A. Follow the procedure here.

Q. I want to overclock my CPU while using Manila 2D.

A. Read this post.

Q. In Photos tab, photos aren't shown and Slideshow doesn't work.

A. Click on the "Album" soft key on the lower left, then select a folder and set it as your Favourite. Now when you go back to Manila you will see it working.

Q. The 'End' key doesn't take me back to Home tab.

A. Use a newer version of M2D.

Q. Alarm indicator on Home tab is off even though I set the alarm.

A. If alarm is coming up within 24 hours then it will show on the Home tab.

Q. During a reboot the SIM's PIN code prompt closes after a few seconds, and then TouchFLO starts up.

A. This is a known issue with Manila 2D. You can access the PIN code again when you start up the dialer.

CLICK HERE FOR PART 2 (OR SEE NEXT POST)

Attachments

• M2D_Weather_Animation.zip
    883.7 KB · Views: 5,735
  • Manila2D_sliding.zip
    424.8 KB · Views: 3,804
  • dsixda_HTCYouTube.cab
    2 MB · Views: 1,937
Last edited:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Part 2 of 2

Other Questions

Q. I have problems connecting to WPA encrypted networks.

A. Try this.

Q. I want to install back the HTC Cube.

A. Cube is from 2007 and obsoleted by Manila2D and Titanium. Please search XDA for it.

Q. An animated battery charging icon appears on the screen whenever I turn off my device while charging.

A. Do not use SPL 3.14! It also drains battery faster.

Q. I can't send MMS or surf the web with my data connection.

A. Run Connection Setup under Settings->Connections.

Q. How do I get my external bluetooth GPS receiver working?

A. Read here.

Q. How to make my headset run another audio player other than Audio Manager?

A. Read

Q. I had software that worked in other ROMs but not in Onyx.

A. You need to upgrade your software because it is not compatible with WM6.1 drivers. Otherwise, I don't know and don't have time to test your software. As a last resort, download Onyx 3.2.1 from the download page, which is a WM6.1 ROM but has WM6.0 drivers.

Q. How do I disable vibration when phone connects?

A. Go to the Advanced tab for the phone options and disable it there.

Q. How do I increase ringer or system volume?

A. Go to the registry, and find the following parameter: HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\AUDIOGAIN\EAC_GAIN_EMBEDDED. Change it to a value between 67 (default) and 77 (maximum recommended) and then reboot. Don't go so high that it blows out your speaker! There are other registry entries under the AUDIOGAIN key which may apply to headset and mic volume. Simply search the forum for their functions.

Q. How do I increase in-call volume?

A. Low in-call volume usually happens because the caller on the other line has a bad connection to your phone. First, make sure you tried to increase the volume during a call by using the side volume button! This can only be changed during a call. Next, go to the registry and try this. Aside from that, I cannot think of any other solution.

Q. Audio Manager shuts down whenever I try to open it.

A. Delete the songs or format the card and copy the songs back.

Q. Audio Manager or other program shuts down instead of minimizing when I close it.

A. Click on the Task Manager on top right, go to its options to change the X button property.

Q. In Onyx Micro, how do I show battery status in title bar instead of the clock?

A. See this post.

Q. I don't see any Bluetooth icons on title bar when I enable Bluetooth.

A. The icons were disabled due to many requests (icons were taking up space and annoying). See here to add them back.

Q. TCPMP does not work in Onyx 4.0 or higher.

A. Try this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3263631&postcount=294. Otherwise, read this thread for a semi-working version and some discussion. TCPMP has issues with a lot of 6.1 cooked ROMs that use 6.1 official ROMs as a base.

Q. SRS WOW does not work in Onyx 4.0 or higher.

A. Try this one.

Q. I can't receive files by Bluetooth.

A. Turn Beam on. ;)

Q. How do I change Menu Bar pop-up fonts back to regular size?

A. Go to the registry, and find the following keys:
\HKLM\ System\ GWE\ Menu\ BarFnt
\HKLM\ System\ GWE\ Menu\ PopFnt

For regular font, in both keys, change "Ht" to a decimal value of 800 (or hex value 320).
For large font, use a decimal value of 1050 (or hex value 41A).

Q. My SMS and mail messages suddenly disappeared after I restored them with PPC Pim Backup!

A. Don't restore your SMSes while the Messaging application is open. Ensure it is terminated with the Task Manager.

Q. I want threaded SMS.

A. Run Advanced Configuration tool and change the option under Messaging.
OR set registry: \HKCU\ Software\ Microsoft\ Inbox\ Settings\ OEM\ SMSInboxThreadingDisabled = 0.

Q. I cannot enable Wi-Fi in Comm Manager while it is connected to USB ActiveSync.

A. Try this link. If it still doesn't work, then also under Settings->Connections->USB to PC change the state of "Enable faster data synchronization". If this is unsuccessful, then just turn on Wi-fi under System->Connections->Wireless LAN.

Q. How do you zoom and rotate pics in HTC Album?

A. Use your fingertip: Stroke a full circle to zoom, and stroke a semi-circle to rotate. Hold down on the picture for a couple of seconds to move the picture around.

Q. I get errors when I try to uninstall/remove a program.

A. Maybe this post will help.

Q. PPC PIM Backup is really, really slow.

A. Make sure you don't restore Sent Mail or Trash Mail from your Text Messages. Also, in my own testing, on MOST ROMs, I have noticed that after restoring my PIMs, usually my device slows down so I have to do a soft reset to fix it.

Q. In Onyx Ultimate, I disabled SIM contacts in Advanced Configuration; however, they still come back after a reset.

A. For versions before 4.1, Follow the tip here. For 4.1 and later, remove the entire registry key for Cyberon under HKCU\Software \HTC \Bootlauncher\Services, and reboot.

Q. How do I get Arabizer to work?

A. See this post.

Q. Why is Wi-fi unable to turn back on after coming out of standby? It was working in version "x" but not in this new version.

A. No, this "issue" also happened in previous versions too. I never saw it happening on mine, and neither have a lot of of other people, so I don't know what the reason could be. Do not install programs that may interfere with its functionality, also do not have Bluetooth enabled.

Q. My program relies on SQL and it doesn't work.

A. Go here

Q. How do I access the registry?

A. Here.

Q. Can you give me some links to more useful add-ons, utilities, CAB files, etc?

A. Here you go:

Attachments

• BootUpHTC.zip
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,477
Last edited:
Reactions: mani1999

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Onyx 6 (WM 6.5.x)

ONYX 6 - WM 6.5.x ROMs

THESE ROMS ARE FOR THE HTC TOUCH GSM ONLY - A QVGA DEVICE THAT USES SIM CARDS THAT WAS RELEASED IN 2007

screen01fv.jpg

This ROM includes the Windows Mobile 6.5.x Titanium home screen, a more finger-friendly layout (larger menus, the X button and Start menu moved to the bottom task bar) and the magnifying glass.

Helpful Tips for WM 6.5.x
  • IMPORTANT: TO TERMINATE/CHANGE BETWEEN RUNNING APPS:
    • For Release 8 and newer: press on the X to minimize app; or to terminate/switch app, click on the top left corner of screen to launch ArkSwitch by Arktronic
    • For Release 7 and earlier: press on the X to close app, or press + hold the Start menu icon to launch Showcase Suite by amarullz
  • To arrange shortcuts in the Start menu, simply press+hold on the shortcut until it lifts up, then drag it to wherever you want it.
  • To bring up the magnifying glass, click on the top taskbar.
  • To change the input method, press and hold on the keyboard icon for a couple of seconds.
  • To select multiple files in File Explorer, simply use the small stylus keyboard and use the Ctrl or Shift button to select multiple files. In Total Commander, you can also use the "CTL" button on the bottom right of the screen.
  • To prevent the lag for the lock slider after turning on the device, create an empty file called "welcome.not" on your SD card before you perform a flash or hard reset. More details here.

Answers to Common Questions
  • READ THE ONYX FAQ
  • If you have increased battery drain, I cannot help you. Elfs were not designed for the load required by WM6.5.
  • Manila2D will not be cooked into these ROMs, due to high memory usage. Click here to install a working M2D from HTC Mega. You can use the UC method to install it automatically after every re-flash.
  • Compact QWERTY keyboard will not work in text fields in Internet Explorer and in MSN widgets. For these cases, use Full QWERTY layout or a different keyboard instead.
  • To remove 3rd-party Titanium plugins like Weather and Favourite People: first disable Titanium ('Windows Default') under Settings->Personal->Home, then uninstall the plugin under Settings->System, then re-enable Titanium. For more customizations to the Titanium page, search for "CHome Editor".
  • To configure the Weather panel: Go to the tab, Select Forecast Options, hit Cancel to go back, and then run Full Update. Wait a few seconds for the home screen to refresh with the weather update.

NOTE: To find your weather location code:

1. Go to http://www.accuweather.com/rss-center.asp
    2. Enter your city name for "Choose a Location", and then press "Set"
    3. Your location code should appear at the end of the URL (e.g. NAM|CANADA|ON|OTTAWA)

A donation is never required, but appreciated for the long hours spent on fulfilling all requests and bug fixes. Every donor's name will be mentioned in the Onyx page under the Internet Explorer bookmarks (in the ROM).

FINAL VERSIONS

Onyx 6 Release 14 (January 22, 2011):
  1. DEV-HOST
  2. 4SHARED
  3. MULTIUPLOAD
  • New build 23152 (no time bomb / expiry date)

Onyx 6 Release 13 (November 1, 2010):
  1. DEV-HOST
  2. 4SHARED
  • New build 23144 (no time bomb / expiry date)
  • Updated Opera Mini to 5.1 (no longer beta)
  • Updated ArkSwitch to 1.2.0

Onyx 6 Release 12c (August 29, 2010):
  1. 4SHARED
  • New build 23134 (no time bomb / expiry date)
  • Updated Google Maps to version 4.1
  • Switched to default calculator skin for compatibility with latest build
  • Removed Skyfire as it will no longer work for certain regions of the world

Onyx 6 Release 11 (May 28, 2010):
  1. 4SHARED
  • New build 23569 (no time bomb / expiry date)

Onyx 6 Release 10 (April 10, 2010):
  1. 4SHARED
  • New build 23557 (no time bomb / expiry date)
  • Updated ArkSwitch to v1.1.4

Onyx 6 Release 9 (March 6, 2010):
  • New build 23544 (removed time bomb / expiry date)
  • Added Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 standalone app (no Java required anymore)
  • Updated ArkSwitch to v1.1.1

Onyx 6 Release 8 (February 7, 2010):
  • New build 23529 (removed time bomb / expiry date)
  • Resolved some instability issues by replacing the task manager Showcase Suite with Arkswitch (see Helpful Tips section above)
  • Camera hack shortcut added, which will allow users to save a few MB of system memory - thanks to dioxda2
  • Resolved issue with blank lines appearing between messages in SMS inbox by disabling email preview mode (can be re-enabled under email options) - thanks to premsoni4u

Onyx 6 Release 7 (January 10, 2010):
  • New build 23518 (WM 6.5.5, removed time bomb / expiry date)
  • Updated Skyfire web browser to version 1.5
  • Updated Google Maps to version 3.3
  • Office Mobile 2010 no longer says beta or has an expiry date

Onyx 6 Release 6 (December 7, 2009):
  • New build 28011

Onyx 6 Release 5 (December 3, 2009):
  • New build 28008
  • Bug fixed: IP Address issue under Settings-> Connections-> Network Cards-> Network Adapters. If user wanted Specific IP Address for a card, then only 2 digits were configurable for each IP class (instead of 3). e.g. 12.45.78.01 instead of 123.456.789.012
  • Updated Opera Mini to version 5 Beta 2
    • Signed version - will only prompt for network access once
    • Comes with its own soft keyboard
    • You can sync your bookmarks from Opera Mini 4.2, Opera Mobile 10, and Opera browser

Onyx 6 Release 4 (November 27, 2009):
  • New build 28005

Onyx 6 Release 3 (November 25, 2009):
  • New build 28004 - apparently it's a bit more stable and faster

Onyx 6 Release 2 (November 21, 2009):
  • New build 28002 (Windows Mobile 6.5.3) - includes Internet Explorer enhancements (not sure of what else)
  • Added Microsoft Word and Excel 2010 Beta (expires April 2010) - replaces old Word/Excel in ROM
  • Added fix for issue where SMS was hanging
  • Added power management
  • Pocket RAR now starts up in file browser mode (it previously started in its settings page, which cannot be closed due to WM6.5.x incompatibility)
  • Fixed issues in Total Commander with associating ZIP archives and missing help file
  • Total Commander shortcut moved to top of Start menu
  • Disabled vibration on X button and Start menu
  • Reduced menu item size
  • Re-sorted email/text messages so that they are sorted from oldest to newest (easier to browse in order)
  • Added SMS and Email (WM6.5) shortcuts + icons, removed Messaging (WM6.1) shortcut
  • Added Search Phone (WM6.5) shortcut + icon, removed Search (WM6.1) shortcut
  • Changed right soft key to "Comm" instead of "Comm ..."

Onyx 6 Release 1 (November 15, 2009):
  • New build 23089
  • HTC Task Manager removed due to incompatibility with WM6.5.x; replaced with Showcase Suite (press and hold Start menu icon to view tasks)
  • Start menu scrolling is faster; it is no longer one page at a time
  • Updated Total Commander to 2.52b2 to fix issues with WM6.5.x found in 2.51
  • Removed Mega Phone Canvas to save memory
  • Removed HTC Volume Control because it doesn't work in WM6.5.x (and also to allow in-call volume to work with dialer)
  • Removed Large Title Bar, to avoid conflict with WM6.5.x's magnifying glass

Acknowledgements

Special thanks to the guys at PPCGeeks for help with releasing and optimizing the builds (conflipper, Da_G, dan-htc-touch, anryl, Tplane37, etc.), and to the folks here, such as !Aman!.

Last edited:
Reactions: BullyGod

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Onyx 5 (WM 6.5)

ONYX 5 - WM 6.5 ROMs

THESE ROMS ARE FOR THE HTC TOUCH GSM ONLY - A QVGA DEVICE THAT USES SIM CARDS THAT WAS RELEASED IN 2007

firstpage1.jpg

This ROM includes the new WM6.5 Titanium home screen, as well as the other features found in Onyx Ultimate, such as Phone Canvas and HTC Volume Control. For a detailed comparison please read the first post of this thread.

Helpful Tips for WM 6.5
  • To arrange shortcuts from the bottom of the Programs/Settings shortcut menu to the top of the screen, simply press+hold on the shortcut until it says "Move to Top".
  • To select multiple files in File Explorer, simply use the small stylus keyboard and use the Ctrl or Shift button to select multiple files. In Total Commander, you can also use the "CTL" button on the bottom right of the screen.
  • To prevent the lag for the lock slider after turning on the device, create an empty file called "welcome.not" on your SD card before you perform a flash or hard reset. More details here.

Answers to Common Questions
  • READ THE ONYX FAQ
  • If you have increased battery drain, I cannot help you. Elfs were not designed for the load required by WM6.5.
  • Manila2D will not be cooked into these ROMs, due to high memory usage. Click here to install a working M2D from HTC Mega. You can use the UC method to install it automatically after every re-flash.
  • Compact QWERTY keyboard will not work in text fields in Internet Explorer and in MSN widgets. For these cases, use Full QWERTY layout or a different keyboard instead.
  • To remove 3rd-party Titanium plugins like Weather and Favourite People: first disable Titanium under Settings->Personal->Today ('Windows Default'), then uninstall the plugin under Settings->System, then re-enable Titanium. For more customizations to the Titanium page, search for "CHome Editor".
  • If you have an Elf and are running low on program memory, run the Advanced Configuration program and use the default phone skin to disable Phone Canvas
  • To configure the Weather panel: Go to the tab, Select Forecast Options, hit Cancel to go back, and then run Full Update. Wait a few seconds for the home screen to refresh with the weather update.

NOTE: To find your weather location code:

1. Go to http://www.accuweather.com/rss-center.asp
    2. Enter your city name for "Choose a Location", and then press "Set"
    3. Your location code should appear at the end of the URL (e.g. NAM|CANADA|ON|OTTAWA)

A donation is never required, but appreciated for the long hours spent on fulfilling all requests and bug fixes. Every donor's name will be mentioned in the Onyx page under the Internet Explorer bookmarks (in the ROM).

FINAL VERSIONS

Onyx 5.7 (January 14, 2010):
  1. DEV-HOST
  2. 4SHARED
  3. RAPIDSHARE
  • New build 21889
  • Updated Opera Mini to version 5 beta 2 (signed version - will only prompt for network access once)
  • Updated Skyfire web browser to version 1.5
  • Updated Google Maps to version 3.3
  • Office Mobile 2010 no longer says beta or has an expiry date

Onyx 5.6 (December 1, 2009):
  1. 4SHARED
  2. MEDIAFIRE
  • New build 21882 - improved stability
  • Added Microsoft Word and Excel 2010 Beta (expires April 2010) - replaces old Word/Excel in ROM
  • Added power management
  • No automatic locking while music is playing (can now change volume while screen off)
  • Total Commander shortcut moved to top of Start menu
  • Reduced menu item size
  • Re-sorted email/text messages so that they are sorted from oldest to newest (easier to browse in order)
  • Added SMS and Email (WM6.5) shortcuts + icons, removed Messaging (WM6.1) shortcut
  • Added Search Phone (WM6.5) shortcut + icon, removed Search (WM6.1) shortcut

Onyx 5.5.2 (November 9, 2009):
  • Fixed lock screen password issue where unlock icon was missing

Onyx 5.5.1 (November 7, 2009):
  • Added LockDevice app + shortcut, for automatic device locking
  • Updated PocketRAR to 3.90
  • Updated Mortscript to 4.3b11

Onyx 5.5 (October 31, 2009):
  • Updated to build 21872
  • Updated Connection Setup utility (version 2.7), from HTC Diamond 2
  • Updated Connection Setup database

Onyx 5.4 (October 23, 2009):
  • Updated to build 21870
  • Fixed External GPS Settings issue from Onyx 5.3

Onyx 5.3 (October 12, 2009):
  • Updated to build 21864 (updated system files)

Onyx 5.2.2 (October 5, 2009):
  • Updated Phone Canvas to version 4.0 (from HTC Mega)

Onyx 5.2.1 (September 28, 2009):
  • Bug fixed - Favourite People plug-in is now showing on Titanium screen
  • Bug fixed - Now able to set the default ringtone when tapping and holding onto an audio file in File Explorer

Onyx 5.2 (September 27, 2009):

• Updated to build 21857 (from September 2009)
    • Now when you close an app in the Settings menu, it goes back to the Settings menu instead of quitting to home screen
    • Now compatible with newer 6.5 theme system that started in build 21815
  • Updated default theme to Ron Arad Orange (Black Dragon theme is still found under Settings->Personal->Today)
  • Added Skyfire web browser, and removed Opera Mini 5 Beta because it is unstable
  • Disabled MyPhone service and removed its app, to save some battery life (Microsoft MyPhone can be installed separately if you want it - just Google it!)
  • Disabled the annoying system beep that comes after a hard reset
  • Fixed an issue reported by a user regarding "Biotouch.exe not found"

Onyx 5.1.2 (September 17, 2009):

• Added Opera Mini 5.0 Beta.
    • Opera Mini 4.2 is still included in this ROM. Note that OM 5.0 Beta does not contain Opera Link, so bookmarks cannot be synchronized, but 5.0 Final will likely have this feature.
    • To exit from OM 5.0 Beta, click on the wrench icon and scroll down till you see the Exit button. Hopefully the final version is not this confusing...
  • Replaced the Volume Control with the Opal version to increase the in-call volume (Thanks to ayyu3m for the tip)
  • Videos in HTC Album will now show the volume sidebar when you adjust the volume, rather than full-screen volume control

Onyx 5.1.1 (September 15, 2009):

• Fixed issue where menus would not appear after tap-and-hold (already fixed in patch for 5.1)
  • Disabled memory allocation by the Resource Proxy module, which had caused Elfs to become unstable during reboot (already fixed in patch for 5.1)
  • Changed font of "Silent" and "Vibrate" buttons on HTC Volume Control to correct one
  • Disabled Debug Logging, which was causing a log file to be created. It was growing in size and eventually consuming a lot of storage space. Now there will be no trace of it in the registry and no log file will be generated.

Onyx 5.1 (September 14, 2009):

• Added WM6.5-compatible Phone Canvas, including vibrate-when-connect and keypad vibration. Fixes previous issues with WM6.5 (e.g. lag when receiving call, contacts scrolling issue, interference with lock screen when receiving call)
  • Added WM6.5-compatible HTC Volume Control, which includes sidebar integration with YouTube, WMP and Audio Manager. Also supports in-call volume in Phone Canvas.
  • Updated Audio Manager, with finger scrolling now working 100%
  • Updated YouTube, with finger scrolling now working 100%
  • Added Large Title Bar, to allow better access to volume and other status indicators
  • NOTE: Elf users may find the memory usage a bit heavier. If so, then please use Onyx 5.0.3 instead.
  • NOTE: Still using Build 21234, which is the first official (non-beta) WM6.5 release by Microsoft.

Onyx 5.0.3 (September 5, 2009):
  1. 4SHARED
  • Added fix for problem where theme cannot be changed back to the default Black Dragon theme if you had another theme or wallpaper set.

Onyx 5.0.2 (August 15, 2009):
  • Added fix for the default theme, where sometimes the bottom bar turns grey (instead of black) after changing back to Black Dragon

Onyx 5.0.1 (June 29, 2009):
  • Updated Windows Media Player to fix issues when changing to next song
  • Added Widget Installer

Onyx 5.0 (June 24, 2009):
  • Using Microsoft's first official 6.5 release (WM 6.5.0.1, SYS/XIP 21234)
  • Uses the original WM6.5 theme system

Acknowledgements

Special thanks to the guys at PPCGeeks for help with releasing and optimizing the builds (conflipper, Da_G, dan-htc-touch, anryl, Tplane37, etc.), and to the folks here, such as !Aman!.

The battery meter was made by analyzer.x, Favourite People plugin by AppStar, Black Dragon theme by DonSim, and Weather plugin by showaco (QVGA version by mnemonique).

Last edited:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Onyx 4 (WM 6.1)

ONYX 4 - WM6.1 ROMs

main4small.jpg

[PLEASE READ THE ONYX FAQ FIRST BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS!]

THREE DIFFERENT FLAVOURS OF ONYX 4
  1. ULTIMATE (Recommended, contains Manila2D)

ELFIN: Free Storage Memory: 161.61MB; Free Program Memory: 76.06MB (Version 4.1.6 with only M2D running)
    ELF: Free Storage Memory: 45.79MB; Free Program Memory: 20.06MB (Based on Version 4.1.2 with only M2D running)

2. JR. (Lighter, contains Manila2D)

ELFIN: Free Storage Memory: 171.27MB; Free Program Memory: 79.23MB (Version 4.1.2 with only M2D running)
    ELF: Free Storage Memory: 54.22MB; Free Program Memory: 22.91MB (Based on Version 4.1.2 with only M2D running)

3. MICRO (Lightest, no Manila2D, no HTC Home, just the basic WM 6.1 home screen)

Hard SPL 3.07 & IPL 3.07 or higher are required for Micro!
    ELFIN: Free Storage Memory: 177.37MB; Free Program Memory: 83.51MB (Based on Version 4.1.5)

NOTE: For detailed information about the differences between the three versions, go to the first post for a comparison chart.

ADDITIONAL LINKS OF INTEREST

DOWNLOAD ROMS

Onyx 4.11 (January 30, 2011):
  • Updated Opera Mini to 5.1
  • Updated Google Maps to 4.1.1
  • Removed Skyfire

Onyx 4.10 (May 30, 2010):
  • New WM6.1 AKU version 1.6.10, with XIP/SYS build 21057
  • Ultimate and Jr. only - Camera hack shortcut added, which will allow users to save a few MB of system memory - thanks to dioxda2
  • Ultimate and Jr. only - Added Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 standalone app (no Java required anymore)

Onyx 4.9 (December 26, 2009):

• New WM6.1 AKU version 1.6.9, with XIP/SYS build 21056
  • Added power management settings to registry
  • Ultimate only - Updated Skyfire to version 1.5
  • Ultimate only - Updated Google Maps to version 3.3
  • Ultimate and Jr. only - Updated Opera Mini to version 5 beta 2

Onyx 4.8 (October 7, 2009):
  • New WM6.1 AKU version 1.6.8, with XIP/SYS build 21055
  • Added Microsoft Marketplace
  • Removed annoying system beep after hard reset
  • Fixed an issue reported by a user regarding "Biotouch.exe not found"
  • Ultimate only - added Skyfire web browser, to support websites with streaming audio/video and Flash

Onyx 4.7 (August 23, 2009):
  • New WM6.1 AKU version 1.6.7, with XIP/SYS build 21054
  • Fixed issue with WM6.1 themes in Onyx 4.x and older (when Manila2D is disabled), where new themes sometimes did not get set properly

Onyx 4.6 (June 15, 2009):
  • New WM6.1 AKU version 1.6.4, with XIP/SYS build 21051
  • Replaced default task manager with FdcSoft Task Manager
  • Clicking on EDGE/GPRS icon will show time connected to data session
  • Ultimate only: Updated Google Maps to 3.0.1.6

Onyx 4.5 (May 14, 2009):

• New WM6.1 AKU version 1.6.3, with XIP/SYS build 21046
  • Added battery indicator with percentage in taskbar (by analyzer.x)
  • Updated Mortscript to 4.3 Beta2
  • New Pocket IE

Onyx 4.4.3 (April 15, 2009):

For Ultimate:
  • New Google Maps version 3.0.1.4
  • New Cyberon Voice Speed Dial version 1.2 R2
  • HTC Touch icon will now show up in Windows Vista when running Windows Mobile Device Center
For Micro:
  • Removed Audio Manager, Audio Booster, Pocket RAR, Opera Mini and Jbed - ROM is now more customizable through UC
  • HTC Touch icon will now show up in Windows Vista when running Windows Mobile Device Center

Onyx 4.4.2 (April 10, 2009):

• JBed Java update to 5.1 R2
  • Jr. version now works with Elf (was not working in 4.4.1 due to bug)

Onyx 3.2.1 (November 1, 2008):

NOTE: Will require downgrade to USPL 2.28/IPL 2.27 [click here for IPL/USPL]
  • This version uses Elfin WM6.0 drivers, but has WM6.1 system files (XIP/SYS 19971)

The change log for older versions is found in the attachment below.

Attachments

• old_change_log.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 968
Last edited:

ayyu3m

Oct 19, 2007
System Error
nice!!!

right next to you Ameet bro... :D

with new touch devices being revealed @ htc

its good to have more and more cooks coming!! like i say...the more the merrier :D

congrats dsixda

murrun

Aug 8, 2007
congrats!

nice lookin' rom but you should catch the wave. i will expext a touchflo 2d rom these days :D

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
congrats!

nice lookin' rom but you should catch the wave. i will expext a touchflo 2d rom these days :D

Thanks...and I know ;-) This is just a tease before the TF2D.
You can still install the TFD home screen on top of this. Also this ROM should run faster (as far as I know). :)

Last edited:

murrun

Aug 8, 2007
Thanks...and I know ;-) This is just a tease before the TF2D.
You can still install the TFD home screen on top of this. Also this ROM should run faster (as far as I know). :)

yeah. your rom cubeless and this is good for tf2d. after installing tf2d my cube runs very laggy. i can't disable it but i can flash your rom.

but it's a good behaviour that waiting for stable tf2d version. i'm using it right now but it's a little buggy(music player, weather, etc).i think as soon as touch viva and touch 3d are released things will change very fast.

p.s. sorry for bad english

ayyu3m

Oct 19, 2007
System Error
hehe! u can consider this as a prologue to the TF2D rom releases. and its optimized as well. since i know dsixda tested the OEM pack as well on this rom. so the TF2D shud run smoother on this rom compared to other roms available so far.

:D

Last edited:

Techie87

Jul 28, 2008
I'm going to flash this rom in a minute ;) Love the way you went back to the WM5 menu ^^

Good work ;)

Techie87

Jul 28, 2008
"FingerPressure" registry setting still takes the default setting after flashing; probably requires Mortscript or startup CAB. You can use Schap's tool to change it too (it's installed on this ROM)

what values would it be when it would not revert to default?

I have a little CAB file here which may resolve things:

Attachments

• finger_pressure_hack.cab
    1.3 KB · Views: 277

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
what values would it be when it would not revert to default?

I have a little CAB file here which may resolve things:

5000 is an optimal value. Using the included Schap's Advanced Configuration, go to HTC TouchFLO/Finger Pressure and change that value (around 2600 currently) to 5000. :) I find this number perfect for scrolling through contacts.

Techie87

Jul 28, 2008
well dsixda, I have to say .. This is one fast ROM :D just changed the finger pressure setting manually and everything works smooth as silk :) Installed SMS-Chat, FunContact, Winterface, ... and the touch is flying ;) ty for your hard work! :D

littld

May 18, 2005
Very impressed so far. This rom has just about everything I like so we must have similar tastes.

Not tested it thoroughly yet (new roms have a tendency to play nice for a few days and then start doing odd things) but so far so good.

Thanks!

littld

May 18, 2005
Transcriber

Okay, a very strange behaviour here. I like using Transcriber. If I use it with this rom (not seen this happen before) it loses all settings each time it starts (e.g. pen width, color etc). The settings in the registry are not lost when it restarts, it seems to reset the settings just as Transcriber starts.

Could someone else confirm if this is happening with them also?

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Onyx 6 Release 14 is now out. Enjoy!

~ ONYX ~
    Windows Mobile 6.1 & 6.5 ROMs

(For Elf and Elfin - HTC Touch GSM only)

WM 6.5.x version: CE OS 5.2.23152 (Build 23152.5.3.12)
    WM 6.5 version: CE OS 5.2.21889 (Build 21889.5.0.87)
    WM 6.1 version: CE OS 5.2.21057 (Build 21057.1.6.10)

Click on image to zoom

Onyx with Windows Mobile 6.1 (above) ...
    A version of Onyx without the Manila 2D interface is also available!

... and with Windows Mobile 6.5.x and 6.5 (below)

screen01fv.jpg
    firstpage65.jpg

comparisonz.jpg

[PLEASE READ THE ONYX FAQ FIRST BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS]

ONCE AGAIN, THESE ROMS ARE FOR THE HTC TOUCH GSM ONLY - A QVGA DEVICE THAT USES SIM CARDS THAT WAS RELEASED IN 2007 - THESE ROMS WILL NOT WORK WITH A CLONE OR CDMA TOUCH ANY OTHER DEVICE! PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FLASH A ROM - READ THE ONYX FAQ. FOR FURTHER QUESTIONS - READ THE ONYX FAQ. ;)

Download these cool utilities for your Elf - thanks to dioxda2

Click here to vote for Onyx in the Annual XDA Devvy Awards!

DOWNLOAD ROMS

Windows Mobile 6.5 ROMs

ONYX 6
    Windows Mobile 6.5.x (new soft key menu; X button on bottom, better battery life than Onyx 5)
    [Go to download]

ONYX 5
    Original version of Windows Mobile 6.5 (less battery life than other versions)
    [Go to download]

Windows Mobile 6.1 ROMs

ONYX 4 ULTIMATE / JR. / MICRO
    Use these ROMs for best performance and battery life
    [Go to download]

A small donation can go towards a toy for my daughter :)

Additional ROM Details:

• ROM version: 3.14.706.02 WWE
    • UC 2.0-compliant ROM
    • ULDR partition removed, allowing 3MB extra storage
    • Rogers Name Display (for those who subscribe to this service)
    • Page Pool of 12MB for Elfins and 4MB for Elfs
    • psShutXP - a rare version with full shutdown capability!
    • EzInput Keyboard by DupinBJK (version RC2) - more support for languages than the one found in shipped ROMs
    • Updated Regional Settings - includes Chinese regions
    • No "butter finger" (unexpected scrolling) issue found in shipped ROM
    • No zero in-call volume issue found in shipped ROM
    • Power Settings will show exact battery % rather than bars
    • Streaming video support
    • Mortscript
    • Internet Sharing
    • ... and more

Removed from ROM:

These can be re-installed separately.
    • HTC Cube
    • Powerpoint
    • Adobe Reader
    • Solitare and Bubble Breaker
    • Windows Live Messenger
    • IA_Zip
    • HTC Home
    • Cyberon Voice Commander
    • JBlend Java
    • RSS Hub
    • Microsoft OneNote
    • SQL CE Mobile
    • Customer Experience Feedback
    • Service Quality Metrics (replaced with no2chem's dummy SQM)
    • IPSec VPN
    • Transcriber
    • Enterprise
    • Windows Update
    • ... and more

This mainly wouldn't have been made possible without the patience of my wife/child as I sat for hours and hours (and days and days!) learning and cooking at a PC! Also, I want to thank the following kind people, in no particular order:

Noonski, bepe, ayyu3m, !Aman!, pof, ababrekar, kokotas, gullum, Ervius, UDK, tupisdin, shafez,
    beta testers, developers, and Elf forum readers!

Surprise ;-) I made just a minor update to Onyx 4 (WM6.1), to update Opera Mini and Google Maps. I have also removed Skyfire from the ROM, due to their recent abandonment of the Windows Mobile platform.

I think there are still people who are using this ROM, so... enjoy.
    Could You please upload the WM 6.5.x version: CE OS 5.2.23152 (Build 23152.5.3.12)
    ROM?

Thank You. :)

I found it from googling

- Onyx Jr. 4.10 https://rapidshare.com/#!download|573p1|167617451|onyx_jr_4.1_4MB_12MB.zip|45605|R~89C2D03734D83AAD5F5CF73CF81E4E40|0|0
    - Onyx 5.7 http://rapidshare.com/files/335650061/onyx_5.7.zip
    dsixda sorry! I do not mean to make a mirror of your rom link
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Part 2 of 2

Other Questions

Q. I have problems connecting to WPA encrypted networks.

A. Try this.

Q. I want to install back the HTC Cube.

A. Cube is from 2007 and obsoleted by Manila2D and Titanium. Please search XDA for it.

Q. An animated battery charging icon appears on the screen whenever I turn off my device while charging.

A. Do not use SPL 3.14! It also drains battery faster.

Q. I can't send MMS or surf the web with my data connection.

A. Run Connection Setup under Settings->Connections.

Q. How do I get my external bluetooth GPS receiver working?

A. Read here.

Q. How to make my headset run another audio player other than Audio Manager?

A. Read

Q. I had software that worked in other ROMs but not in Onyx.

A. You need to upgrade your software because it is not compatible with WM6.1 drivers. Otherwise, I don't know and don't have time to test your software. As a last resort, download Onyx 3.2.1 from the download page, which is a WM6.1 ROM but has WM6.0 drivers.

Q. How do I disable vibration when phone connects?

A. Go to the Advanced tab for the phone options and disable it there.

Q. How do I increase ringer or system volume?

A. Go to the registry, and find the following parameter: HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\AUDIOGAIN\EAC_GAIN_EMBEDDED. Change it to a value between 67 (default) and 77 (maximum recommended) and then reboot. Don't go so high that it blows out your speaker! There are other registry entries under the AUDIOGAIN key which may apply to headset and mic volume. Simply search the forum for their functions.

Q. How do I increase in-call volume?

A. Low in-call volume usually happens because the caller on the other line has a bad connection to your phone. First, make sure you tried to increase the volume during a call by using the side volume button! This can only be changed during a call. Next, go to the registry and try this. Aside from that, I cannot think of any other solution.

Q. Audio Manager shuts down whenever I try to open it.

A. Delete the songs or format the card and copy the songs back.

Q. Audio Manager or other program shuts down instead of minimizing when I close it.

A. Click on the Task Manager on top right, go to its options to change the X button property.

Q. In Onyx Micro, how do I show battery status in title bar instead of the clock?

A. See this post.

Q. I don't see any Bluetooth icons on title bar when I enable Bluetooth.

A. The icons were disabled due to many requests (icons were taking up space and annoying). See here to add them back.

Q. TCPMP does not work in Onyx 4.0 or higher.

A. Try this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3263631&postcount=294. Otherwise, read this thread for a semi-working version and some discussion. TCPMP has issues with a lot of 6.1 cooked ROMs that use 6.1 official ROMs as a base.

Q. SRS WOW does not work in Onyx 4.0 or higher.

A. Try this one.

Q. I can't receive files by Bluetooth.

A. Turn Beam on. ;)

Q. How do I change Menu Bar pop-up fonts back to regular size?

A. Go to the registry, and find the following keys:
    \HKLM\ System\ GWE\ Menu\ BarFnt
    \HKLM\ System\ GWE\ Menu\ PopFnt

For regular font, in both keys, change "Ht" to a decimal value of 800 (or hex value 320).
    For large font, use a decimal value of 1050 (or hex value 41A).

Q. My SMS and mail messages suddenly disappeared after I restored them with PPC Pim Backup!

A. Don't restore your SMSes while the Messaging application is open. Ensure it is terminated with the Task Manager.

Q. I want threaded SMS.

A. Run Advanced Configuration tool and change the option under Messaging.
    OR set registry: \HKCU\ Software\ Microsoft\ Inbox\ Settings\ OEM\ SMSInboxThreadingDisabled = 0.

Q. I cannot enable Wi-Fi in Comm Manager while it is connected to USB ActiveSync.

A. Try this link. If it still doesn't work, then also under Settings->Connections->USB to PC change the state of "Enable faster data synchronization". If this is unsuccessful, then just turn on Wi-fi under System->Connections->Wireless LAN.

Q. How do you zoom and rotate pics in HTC Album?

A. Use your fingertip: Stroke a full circle to zoom, and stroke a semi-circle to rotate. Hold down on the picture for a couple of seconds to move the picture around.

Q. I get errors when I try to uninstall/remove a program.

A. Maybe this post will help.

Q. PPC PIM Backup is really, really slow.

A. Make sure you don't restore Sent Mail or Trash Mail from your Text Messages. Also, in my own testing, on MOST ROMs, I have noticed that after restoring my PIMs, usually my device slows down so I have to do a soft reset to fix it.

Q. In Onyx Ultimate, I disabled SIM contacts in Advanced Configuration; however, they still come back after a reset.

A. For versions before 4.1, Follow the tip here. For 4.1 and later, remove the entire registry key for Cyberon under HKCU\Software \HTC \Bootlauncher\Services, and reboot.

Q. How do I get Arabizer to work?

A. See this post.

Q. Why is Wi-fi unable to turn back on after coming out of standby? It was working in version "x" but not in this new version.

A. No, this "issue" also happened in previous versions too. I never saw it happening on mine, and neither have a lot of of other people, so I don't know what the reason could be. Do not install programs that may interfere with its functionality, also do not have Bluetooth enabled.

Q. My program relies on SQL and it doesn't work.

A. Go here

Q. How do I access the registry?

A. Here.

Q. Can you give me some links to more useful add-ons, utilities, CAB files, etc?

A. Here you go: