[ROM][XZ1][10.0] iodéOS = LineageOS 17.1 + MicroG + adblocker [07/03/2021]

Search This thread

jurkoman

Oct 24, 2015
### New update: 02/12/2020 ###
Available as OTA (see OP for direct link and changelog)

Hello, i have tried now your rom.
Everything working flawlessly, i will wait in Vivid display mode for glitch if it appears again but no problem with rom.
One thing what i had noticed, bootloop after flash Pop kernel with latest iodé.
Previous (11/13) rom version boot immediately with mentioned kernel and works very good.

Edit: Vivid color glitch appears right after restarting of device! Please, update this.
Sony Xperia XZ1 compact has also this glitch but half year ago. No one noticed this bug on poplar?

Last edited:
Reactions: tombbb

hihiman1

Aug 13, 2012
Hi, I tried to install the latest build a few times. Unfortunately I get not connection to the network of my mobile provider. Modifying the API setting didn't help. BUT - the SIM card works perfectly on stock ROM.

Any Ideas to solves this issue?

jurkoman

Oct 24, 2015
=== New Update : 22/01/2021 ===

Available as OTA (see OP)​

Hi vince31fr, i have tested your rom and everything works like charm but mentioned graphic glich in Vivid color mode still appears.

Edit: Sometimes i have problem with calling in LTE data mode. It is working but at random time i have full signal but when i touch for calling, i will wait some seconds and after that - Mobile network is not available. Also i must wait longer for connect. After switch to EDGE calling works flawlessly. At other roms and in stock rom i havent any problem.
Someone please, regret this, maybe is my problem but other roms i tested calling works fast and perfect.

Last edited:

A.K.Paul

Apr 13, 2015
Warangal
I like this rom very much because of no Google, but I can't find a way to turn on volte working on jio india, airtel works fine with no volte, I cannot find an option to turn it on, is there a way to get volte?

LadaZa

Mar 21, 2021
Solved - following steps brought audio in calls back
  • flashed (in Newflasher) latest official firmware obtained through XperiFirm
  • flashed twrp-3.5.0-0-20210117-poplar.img
  • flashed latest iodéOS ROM
Thanks for this swift and privacy friendly ROM!

Everything works great so far with the march build on my XZ1 with one important exception however: voice communication in both directions. After establishing the call both sides cannot receive audio from the other side.
  • Using default iodé dialer and telephone app
  • Voice communication does not work in Telegram calls too
  • Clean installation of iodéOS after full wipe
  • Non-default system extras on the phone: Magisk, XPrivacyLua without any applied restrictions though
Anyone having similar issues? Logcat of the unsuccessful dialer attempt is attached.

Attachments

• logcat_03-21-2021_10-50-34.txt
    203.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved - following steps brought audio in calls back
    • flashed (in Newflasher) latest official firmware obtained through XperiFirm
    • flashed twrp-3.5.0-0-20210117-poplar.img
    • flashed latest iodéOS ROM
    Thanks for this swift and privacy friendly ROM!

Everything works great so far with the march build on my XZ1 with one important exception however: voice communication in both directions. After establishing the call both sides cannot receive audio from the other side.
    • Using default iodé dialer and telephone app
    • Voice communication does not work in Telegram calls too
    • Clean installation of iodéOS after full wipe
    • Non-default system extras on the phone: Magisk, XPrivacyLua without any applied restrictions though
    Anyone having similar issues? Logcat of the unsuccessful dialer attempt is attached.
    iode_20174.png

Introduction

iodéOS is a privacy-focused operating system powered by LineageOS and based on the Android 10 mobile platform. iodéOS aims at protecting the user's privacy with a built-in adblocker and by freeing the smartphone from snitches.

The objectives in the conception of this ROM are threefold:

1. To keep the stability and security level of LineageOS, by minimizing the modifications made to the system. Apart the system modifications required by the adblocker, we mainly only added a few useful options commonly found in other custom ROMs, made some cosmetic changes, modified a few default settings to prevent data leaks to Google servers.
    2. To ease a quick adoption of this ROM by new users. We especially target users that are concerned by the protection of their privacy, but are not reluctant to still use inquisitive apps like Google ones. We thus included MicroG as well as a coherent set of default apps (all open source, with one exception), and simplified the initial setup of the system. Particularly, an initialization of MicroG has been made with GCM notifications allowed by default, a privacy-friendly network location provider (DéjàVu) pre-selected, as well as Nominatim Geocoder.
    3. To provide a new and powerful way of blocking ads, malwares, data leaks of all kinds to many intrusive servers. We are developing an analyzer, tightly integrated into the system, that captures all DNS requests and network traffic, as well as a user interface (the iodé app). Compared to some other well-known adblockers, this has the advantages of:
      • Avoiding to lock the VPN for that use. You can even use another adblocker that uses VPN technology alongside our blocker.
      • Being independent of the kind of DNS server used by the system or set by an independent app: classical DNS on UDP port 53 or any other one, DNS over TLS (DoT), DNS over HTTPS (DoH), ..., as we capture the DNS requests before they are transmitted to the system function that emits the DNS request. What we do not support, is DoH when it is natively built into applications, i.e. when an app communicates directly with a DoH server, without asking name resolution to the system. It would require to decrypt HTTPS packets between such an app and the DoH server, which may create a big security hole.
      • Precisely mapping DNS requests and network packets to the Android apps that emitted (or received) them.
      • Deciding which apps have a filtered network usage (by default, all apps), and which ones can communicate with blacklisted servers.
      The iodé blocker is already perfectly usable, although still in its infancy. Many features are lacking, like the possibility of clearing statistics (for specific apps or all), forbidding the collection of statistics for some apps, personalizing the blacklist, etc. We are actively developing it, and new functionalities will be regularly added.

Features

Changes in LineageOS to prevent data leaks:
    • Default DNS server: Google's DNS replaced by Quad9's 'unblocked' servers.
    • A-GPS: supl.google.com replaced by supl.vodafone.com.
    • Captive portal login: connectivitycheck.gstatic.com replaced by captiveportal.kuketz.de for connectivity check.
    • Dialer: Google default option replaced by OpenStreetMap for phone number lookup.

Pre-installed apps:
    • MicroG core apps: GmsCore, GsfProxy, FakeStore, maps API.
    • NLP backends for MicroG : DejaVuNLPBackend (default), MozillaNLPBackend, AppleNLPBackend, RadioCellsNLPBackend, NominatimNLPBackend.
    • App stores : FDroid (with F-Droid Privileged Extension) and Aurora Store.
    • Browser: our own fork of Firefox (with Qwant as default search engine and telemetry disabled) instead of Lineage’s default browser Jelly.
    • SMS: QKSMS instead of Lineage's default SMS app.
    • Maps/navigation: Magic Earth GPS & Navigation (the only one free but not open source).
    • Keyboard: OpenBoard instead of AOSP keyboard.
    • PDF: Pdf Viewer Plus.
    • Personnal notes: Carnet.
    • {Ad/Malware/Data leak}-blocker: iodé.
    • News: to keep users informed about our developments, as well as a FAQ.

Pre-included FDroid repository:

The apps that we tweak or develop (microG services, the browser based on Firefox, the iodé blocker app, the News app, ...) are available through a repository that we included in FDroid (check the "Apps for iodéOS" category). For this purpose and to avoid name conflicts of some apps, we also had to make a few changes in FDroid.

Useful options from other custom ROMs:
    • Smart charging (disables charging when a given level is reached, to protect battery health).
    • Fingerprint vibration toggle.
    • Swipe down to clear all in recent apps.

Installation Instructions

To download and flash our latest build, see https://gitlab.com/iode/ota.
    You can also find here direct links to the latest builds.

Supported devices

Sources

Bug Reporting

You can post a message in this thread or (preferred) open an issue here.

Credits

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit their Wiki for more details.
    This ROM would be nothing without the tremendous work made on MicroG, and all the other open source apps that we included. We are very grateful to their authors.

Contributors

Direct contributors: @iodeOS, @vince31fr
    Indirect contributors (too numerous to list): All the people that contributed to the device tree, to LineageOS, and to the included open source apps.

Sponsoring

You can help in the development of this ROM by paying us a coffee here: https://paypal.me/iodeOS.

Screenshots

Screenshot_20201202-095321_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20201202-095832_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20200629-132938_iod%C3%A9.png
    Screenshot_20200629-132903_iod%C3%A9.png
    Screenshot_20200629-132849_iod%C3%A9.png
    Screenshot_20200629-132232_iod%C3%A9.png
    Screenshot_20200627-154642_iod%C3%A9.png
    Screenshot_20200627-154650_iod%C3%A9.png
    ### NEW UPDATE : 05/08/2020 ###
    Also available as an OTA update.
    Quick changelog:
    • Synced LineageOS sources and device tree
    • Camera leak now solved in the sources (thanks to @derf elot)
    • microG updated to v0.2.11.202414 plus commits up to 05/08
    • AppleNLP backend working again
    • Prebuilt apps updated to their latest version
    Downloads : iodéOS

• 07/03/2021 (build 20210306):
      • Blocker UI improved: performance at startup, statistics display (with sortable columns), DNS stream
      • Preinstalled apps management (uninstall / reinstall) menu added (Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Preinstalled apps)
      • Latest lineageOS sources synced
      • Default apps updated
    • 22/01/2021 (build 20210119):
      • LineageOS sources synced
      • Prebuilt apps updated
      • Activated Camera APIv2 in Snap
      • Force auto-update of apps in FDroid to keep in sync with iodé apps. It can be disabled.
    • 02/12/2020 (build 20201127):
      • Prebuilt apps updated
      • New default wallpaper
      • Firefox browser renamed as iodé Browser and logo changed due to trademark restrictions
      • The iodé blocker can now be correctly coupled with a VPN
    • 17/11/2020 (build 20201113):
      • Qwant replaced by a customized version Firefox, actually 83.1.0-rc1: Qwant or DDG as default search engine, alternate search engines added, telemetry disabled
      • iodé app (blocker): app switches replaced by shields around app icons, aggregated apps view in report, historical data deletion for each period by long press on an app line in report, black list updated
      • Prebuilt apps updated
      • Added a iodé category in FDroid, to quickly distribute the apps we customize. We had to fork FDroid for this purpose.
    • 30/09/2020 (build 20200925):
      • Synced LineageOS sources and device tree (big improvements for the GPS)
      • microG updated to v0.2.12.203315 plus commits up to 25/09 (in-app maps now mostly working through Mapbox)
      • Welcome to "News": an app to keep users informed of latest iodé developments, as well a a FAQ.
    • 05/08/2020 (build 20200805):
      • Synced LineageOS sources and device tree
      • Camera leak now solved in the sources (thanks to @derf elot)
      • microG updated to v0.2.11.202414 plus commits up to 05/08
      • AppleNLP backend working again
    • 25/07/2020 (build 20200725):
      • Synced lineage (security patch r40) and device tree
      • Minor UI fixes and improvements in iodé adblocker
      • Updated blocklist
      • Updated preinstalled apps
      • Improved bootanimation
    • 07/07/2020 (build 20200707): initial publicly available build of iodéOS for poplar.

Downloads : add-ons
    • phonesky-magisk.zip : Magisk module for NanoDroid patched Play Store, for those who really need to get access to their paid apps that don't work with microG. This module can be generally be deactivated when you have installed and ran once the paid apps.
      NB : you may have to wait a couple of hours after activating the module for being able to install paid apps.
    How did you fix the memory leak? Couldn't find a repo with the full manifest used so couldn't check myself.

BTW: Would be great to include build instructions and full description/code used as a privacy focused ROM should be transparent and for others to improve :)

About our sources:
    We completely agree that transparency is at the core of a privacy-oriented project and we will (no ETA) open source our code.
    We will publish them when we consider it is the good timing. We have many features that remain to be done, we have to clean up the sources, and we want our work to be more known before doing so.
    It's great to see another privacy focused rom for this device! I do have some questions though: why not use osmand (open source nav app) for maps. Also I understand that the built in ads blocker is better than a vpn based one, but how is it compared to say AdAway? And can it be deactivated (sometimes blocklists block useful sites too or result in certain apps to not function properly)?

I'll do a backup on the weekend and check it out.
    The main reasons for the choice of Magic Earth over Osmand: it is simpler to use, and has real-time traffic information. There's not perfect choice...

The blocker can be deactivated globally on its home page, or app by app on the report page. However, statistics are still collected. We will add a 'mute' function, to avoid statistics collection. Both (block and mute) will be able to be combined: mute but still block, unmute and unblock, ...

Some of the main advantages of a low-level blocker like the one were're implementing:
    • there's no need to root the phone (for Adaway, root is required)
    • VPN remains free
    • the blocker is a low-level system process which cannot be killed by the Android memory management
    • it is implemented with efficiency and security in mind (c++ with RAII principle as much a possible, multi-threaded, specific sepolicy rules)
    • fine-grained control over which app may be blocked (and/or muted in a future version)
    • very accurate statistics: we can track exactly which app makes which DNS request, which app sends or receives which packet on the network, the quantity of data exchanged, source/destination, ports, ...
    • in addition to DNS blocking (equivalent to a hosts file based method like Adaway for global blocking of all apps), we can also block network packets whose source or destination IP address has recently been associated to a domain in the black list.
    • we will be able to make even more fine-grained tuning, like deciding that a domain must blocked for a given app but unblocked for another app, and many more
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone