• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][Z00ED][BETA] Ubuntu Touch (UBports)

Search This thread

apostrof

Aug 18, 2007
UPD: I try to install this another one, and while installation i see Failed to mount /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/iserdata at /data: Device or resource busy

adazem009

yeah, i see "Halium initrd Failed to boot" when connect it to a PC
If you're on Linux, you can try telnet 192.168.2.15. If this IP doesn't work, try to find it in dmesg. If you're able to get to the initramfs shell, try to execute cat /diagnosis.log (if the file exists). Also execute dmesg and copy the whole log to pastebin.ubuntu.com. It'll help me troubleshoot it.

adazem009

No, they aren’t. In Ubuntu Touch brightness works just fine, even better than in Android 10, where we have troubles with pwm mode. In PMOS I haven’t added brightness support at all yet : )
My builds are built from Halium 7.1 tree, which is based on Android 7.1 (LineageOS 14.1). So, the porting process should be similar to that of Nougat ROMs.

adazem009

Update - 03/31/2021

v0.2.0
Download

• Initial beta build
  • Fixed modem
    • Audio works
    • Microphone works
    • SIM cards are recognized
    • Cellular data works
    • SMS work
    • MMS untested
    • No audio in calls
    • Dual SIM works
    • ...more in the device checklist
  • Fixed camera
    • Front camera works
    • Rear camera works
    • Camera app works
      • Photos
      • Videos
      • Sound in videos
    • Flashlight works ONLY in camera app
  • Improved performance
  • Support for Z00RD stopped. Maybe I'll start supporting it again, but I need someone, who can get kernel logs when Halium fails to boot.
  • Updated screenshots
We're getting closer to a stable build!
There will be more than just Ubuntu Touch builds... Anbox (Android apps) support, UBports recovery, UBports installer, etc.

blckberrymv

Nov 24, 2020

Sucessfully flashed the latest beta!​

This is my scenario; I have a faulty display (few areas don't work, soft-keyboard's enter button area and Back,Home and the third button as well), but I can SSH into my device. And I want to use my PC's mouse and keyboard using synergy. [Until I hopefully get a display for it.]
How do I enable wifi through SSH?

Edit:
Just did a simple search to find the fix: http://askubuntu.com/questions/1255866/ddg#1255870, in case somebody needs to know.

Last edited:

adazem009

Sucessfully flashed the latest beta!​

This is my scenario; I have a faulty display (few areas don't work, soft-keyboard's enter button area and Back,Home and the third button as well), but I can SSH into my device. And I want to use my PC's mouse and keyboard using synergy. [Until I hopefully get a display for it.]
How do I enable wifi through SSH?

Edit: Just did a simple search to find the fix: http://askubuntu.com/questions/1255866/ddg#1255870, in case somebody needs to know.
It's not anything hard, you don't have to create any config files... Execute sudo nmtui and activate a connection using the TUI.

adazem009

The wifi radio wasn't ON after first boot.
I had to run ncmli r wifi on on the terminal.

I'll try to install synergy on it.
Thanks for the great ROM, Hope to see a fully stable build.
That's known, it'll work on the second boot. Standard desktop apps should work with Libertine. You can also sudo mount -o remount,rw / and install packages with APT, but it's not recommended - your changes will be overwritten by future builds.

adazem009

UPD: I try to install this another one, and while installation i see Failed to mount /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/iserdata at /data: Device or resource busy
I really think it should boot up... please check if you have enough space in /data using MTP in TWRP. Ubuntu Touch needs at least 6 GB of free space. It's recommended to format data before flashing.

adazem009

I've installed it. Nice job! The ROM is pretty interesting, but laggy, it looks like hw acceleration (gpu) is broken, but I am not sure. Also I've found some new bugs in addition to the listed ones. Navbar, DT2W (double tap to wake), MTP (connection to the PC) and Bluetooth are not working. APT can neither update sources list nor install anything. Offline charging (on powered off smartphone) shows ??/100%. Usual TWRP can't decrypt FBE and access Ubuntu files. So, that's all I've found. Luckily, SD card works, and WiFi needs only one command to be enabled (echo sta > /sys/module/wlan/parameters/fwpath). Pressing power button seems to work as intended. I'll watch this thread and try new versions when I have time. Here are some screenshots:
Forgot to reply to some bugs... Ubuntu Touch doesn't have DT2W. Only gesture navigation is used there, that's why the navbar is disabled. No idea about hw acceleration yet... Bluetooth needs backported kernel drivers and MTP is disabled by default because of debugging.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ubuntu_smartphone_1.jpg

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now (expired?) void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */
    I'm working on Ubuntu Touch port for Asus Zenfone 2 Laser (Z00ED).
    For more info - from Ubuntu Touch GSI:
    What is Ubuntu Touch?
    Ubuntu Touch is the touch-friendly mobile version of Ubuntu.
    This operating system is developed and maintained by UBports: An international community of passionate volunteers.
    This means Ubuntu Touch is 100% community driven and independent.

What is Halium?
    Halium is the collaborative project to unify the Hardware Abstraction Layer for projects which run GNU/Linux on mobile devices with pre-installed Android.
    This port of Ubuntu Touch is running on Halium 7.1, which is based on Android 7.1 (Nougat).
    NOTE: This port is not stable! Don't use it as your daily driver. You can, however, set up dual booting with Android.

What works, what doesn't work + porting notes
    Everything can be found here.

We're looking for someone to test on Z00RD. It should at least reach the Ubuntu Touch splash screen. Read the note about 8 GB devices below.

How to install
    Format data (recommended) and flash the downloaded ZIP file in a custom recovery.
    The default password is phablet
    NOTE: 8 GB variant is NOT SUPPORTED! Flash only on 16 GB variants. We're trying to find a way to flash it on 8 GB variants, but it's not available right now because Ubuntu Touch needs at least 5.6 GB in /data. Please wait until this way is available. Don't even try to flash on 8 GB devices.

Download
    SourceForge
    -----------------
    If you find any bugs that aren't mentioned in the device checklist, make sure to report them ;)
    -----------------

Screenshots
    See the attachments.

Device sources (UBports):
    Device tree
    Common device tree
    Kernel
    Vendor tree

Device manifest (for Halium)
    The device manifest is already included with the Halium 7.1 source tree.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Ubuntu Touch Z00ED, ROM for the Zenfone 2 Laser

Contributors
    adazem009
    Max Mesa

Halium version: 7.1
    ROM OS Version: 16.04 (xenial)
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Upgrade to Android M first
    Based On: Halium / LineageOS

Version Information
    Beta

Created 2020-11-26
    Update - 03/31/2021

v0.2.0
    Download

• Initial beta build
    • Fixed modem
      • Audio works
      • Microphone works
      • SIM cards are recognized
      • Cellular data works
      • SMS work
      • MMS untested
      • No audio in calls
      • Dual SIM works
      • ...more in the device checklist
    • Fixed camera
      • Front camera works
      • Rear camera works
      • Camera app works
        • Photos
        • Videos
        • Sound in videos
      • Flashlight works ONLY in camera app
    • Improved performance
    • Support for Z00RD stopped. Maybe I'll start supporting it again, but I need someone, who can get kernel logs when Halium fails to boot.
    • Updated screenshots
    We're getting closer to a stable build!
    There will be more than just Ubuntu Touch builds... Anbox (Android apps) support, UBports recovery, UBports installer, etc.
    Update - 03/17/2021

Screenshots were added to the thread.
    Next build is coming this or the next month.
    I had a break for a few months, but will continue with the development again :)

I've set up the build system again, and I'm going to do some testing and make WiFi working on boot.
    WE GOT CAMERA WORKING

Camera is going to be fixed in the next build! The camera app probably doesn't have all features working yet, but I'll try to debug it.

Big thanks to @Max Mesa for helping me with the porting process :)