[ROMS]Dualboot Phiremod / Honeycomb Image for SDcard [UPDATE-6/22]

Search This thread

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Hi again everyone,

I've prepped an IMG file that you can dualboot Phiremod v6.1 and HC v4 2nd Edition off one SDcard.

1-The image file is 3.7gb. So you will need a 4gb SDcard or larger.

2-Both roms share the same SDcard partition. So on a 4gb card, the available space is limited to 1.8gb.

3-If you use an 8gb SDcard. To get use of the remaining storage on your SDcard. Just burn the image and then use EASUS Partition Manager to extend the SDcard partition. (Which is the 7th partition on the card)

4-I've udpated the Phiremod v6.1 with:
-The latest OC Kernel by Dalingrin 041811C
-Alsa update for smoother video playback
-Honeycomb Softkey Icons by XDA user Bawb3

I've done this mainly just for fun and to see if it would work and thought I'd share it with everyone if you wanna give it a go. Thanks to all the devs for all their hard work in getting these great ROMs for our Nook Color.

Credits:
The CM7 Team
Dalingrin
Deeper-Blue
Samuelhalff
Divine_Madcat
Phiredrop
j4mm3r
Rookie1
Bawb3

Download:
ph-hc-dualboot-sd.img.zip
MD5: 36b474afb9436bc2e887aeecec8b5c7e

Follow directions from Nookdevs.com to burn the image to your SDcard.

Burning a bootable SD card

Once you burn the image to your SDcard. Power off your nook and place the SDcard in your nook.

-To boot into Phiremod Nook v6.1 just power on your nook with the sdcard in and leave it alone.
-To boot into HCv4 2nd Edition, hold the HOME(n) button while powering on. Continue holding the HOME(n) button until you see the "Android..._" screen.

Take it or leave it, just hope you enjoy it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 5/23: Updated Img with Phiremod 6.2 and Madcat's Honeycomb Hybrid-RC1

Reason for creating a new image and not just a flashable update is because the HC Hybrid /system was too large to fit on the original Dualboot img. So I prepped a new one for that reason as well as making the image smaller so it will definitely fit on a 4gb uSDcard.

What's included in this new image:

1- A 3.4gb Img file that should fit on any 4gb uSDcard or larger

2- J4mm3r's u-boot menu! (Read here for more info on how to use it)

3- Latest Phiremod 6.2 with Dalingrins 4/13a OC and Alsa update

4- Latest Divine_Madcat's Honeycomb Hybrid RC1

5- Honeycomb Hybrid RC1 has my sdcard mount workaround. I also included a file manager.

6- Read here for more info on the sdcard mount workaround.

7- Follow the steps above to burn the image to your uSDcard

8- Enjoy!

Keep in mind that the Honeycomb Hybrid RC1 is a work in progress so there are known issues. I suggest you read the OP in this thread here to see what's working and what isn't.

Download:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 5/31-Phiremod Nook 6.3 Dualboot SD Flashable Update:
This will only format /system. Data stays intact.
1-If you're still using the original Dualboot-SD img. Follow directions below from 5/5 update on how to install latest Phiremod to your Dualboot-SDrom.
2-If you're using latest Dualboot-SD v0.2 with j4mm3r's boot menu. Choose to boot into SD-->Recovery and flash from there.

Update 6/22-Phiremod Nook v7-Test Dualboot SD Package Update:
This will format /system and /data of your Phiremod rom. So please backup all your apps!
Well I went ahead and made it easier for everyone. So I packaged the whole Phiremod v7-Test as a CWM-SD Flashable zip. This will install phiremod-nook-v7-test, gapps, and will install the launcher-pro backup to the sdcard partition for you.

-All you have to do is download the 'phiremod-nook-v7-TEST-SD-CWM-package.zip' file, no need to extract anything
-Boot into CWM-SD and flash the package zip file
-Reboot when done
-It will prompt with 2 different options on startup, choose "Setup Wizard"
-For some reason it won't get past that, even when touching the Android guy, to get around this touch all 4 corners of the nook screen starting with:
1. top left hand corner
2. top right hand corner
3. bottom right hand corner (just above the 'change language' button)
4. bottom left hand corner (just above the 'emergency' button)
-That should get you to the main screen.
-Connect to a wireless network
-Market will not populate correctly, so go into the app drawer and choose 'Talk'
-That should give you an option to add a google account
-Once completed go back to the main screen and goto options--> preferences --> and restore the launcher pro backup
-You should now see Market on the home screen
-Don't forget to thank the devs!
-Personal thank you to "bdeville" for testing the .zips for me before I borked any more installations! :D

phiremod-nook-7-Test-Dualboot-SD-Package.zip
MD5: b814eb7681ea57669764e449b77ef4c1[/QUOTE]

Edit 5/5: Update Phiremod to 6.2 and Honeycomb to Madcat's Honeycomb_RC1

1- I forgot to mention that with your dualboot rom SDcard. It also contains a Modded CWM that will allow you to flash updated roms from "my" thread only!

2- Place the .zips you downloaded from this thread onto your /sdcard (7th) partition.

3- To boot into the Modded CWM. When powering on your nook. Hold the "volume+/volume-" together while booting up, until it loads up CWM

4- Now select "choose zip from sdcard"

5- Choose the .zip file and confirm "yes"

6- Sit back and let it do its thing

7- You can either flash another rom or go back to the CWM main menu and choose "Reboot system now"

8- Enjoy your updated roms!

Downloads:

Phiremod 6.2 Dualboot SD Update: (This will keep your /data partition intact)

Divine_Madcat's Honeycomb RC1v2(Working su, market, sound) Dualboot SD Updated: (This will format both /system and /data)
update-HC-rc2-Dualboot-SD-a.zip [Updated 8pm EST. / Tested and working by me]
MD5: a4231f7e141c1e875ad07cef2e97d912

If you get a keyboard failure error on first boot. Just do a quick reboot and it should go away. Downloads from market seems very slow off an SDcard install. Might just depend on what Class it is. And remember. This is a WIP. Don't forget to thank Madcat for his work on this! :D

If I've helped in some way, please say thanks in one way or another! :D

Thanks,
Racks

Last edited:

glgehman

Jan 28, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Just when I think: "Enough of this craziness, let's just sit down and enjoy my nifty little device," along comes YET ANOTHER rom to flash!

If I do this one, though, I get back one, maybe two of my 8 GB cards. So, win/win.

Excellent work, Racks!

glg

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Just when I think: "Enough of this craziness, let's just sit down and enjoy my nifty little device," along comes YET ANOTHER rom to flash!

If I do this one, though, I get back one, maybe two of my 8 GB cards. So, win/win.

Excellent work, Racks!

glg

Please let me know if it works out for you or not. Just so I can make any needed changes if necessary.

Thanks,
Racks

Reactions: Sithben24

Sithben24

Sep 29, 2010
www.twitter.com
Worked great for me. Had my flashing 4gb and it booted right up into HC. Great work. Didn't realize how good HC looked on here, but I'm sticking to Phiremod for now.

Mikey

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
Google Pixel Fold
2-Both roms share the same SDcard partition. So on a 4gb card, the available space is limited to 1.8gb.

3-If you use an 8gb SDcard. To get use of the remaining storage on your SDcard. Just burn the image and then use EASUS Partition Manager to extend the SDcard partition. (Which is the 7th partition on the card)

Thanks,
Racks
Howdy,
Any way to implement this "mod" into your image???
[ZIP][CM7] Nook Color SDcard and emmc swap!

reaper12

Apr 17, 2011
Thanks very much Racks, it works really well. Finally get a chance to try Phiremod and honeycomb without using 2 SD cards!! I only have one, the poor guy that I am :)

Ernie999

Dec 17, 2008
I too loaded the image to a 4 gig card and it seems to work fine so far. Thanks for your efforts!

reaper12

Apr 17, 2011
oops maybe I spoke too soon, the phiremod works ok, but, the honeycomb loader never gets by the screen with the android_ on it. I will reflash later without epanding the partition on the SD card to see does that make a difference.

(yeah I used an 8GB card and used easus to expand the 7th partition.)

glgehman

Jan 28, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Please let me know if it works out for you or not. Just so I can make any needed changes if necessary.

Thanks,
Racks

Didn't actually get to try it last night. Bandwidth trouble.

Downloaded, unzipped, flashed to a 8gb Sandisk card. Left it as burned.

Installed in Nook: Booted to Phiremod AOK. Rebooted into Honeycomb AOK*.

Shut down and put sdcard back in my PC to resize the sdcard partition. Hmmm.

Both EASUS and MiniTool show the card as 8GB unallocated (ie: no partition information available!!).

Put it back in nook and reboot. Comes up to phiremod AOK. Weird.

OK, second time around putting SDcard in PC, I got correct mount and could edit partitions.

glg

* - Honeycomb lock screen says "Running on internal eMMC" which we know is not true.

** - I love that you changed the POST message. Those of us in Pennsylvania see the stock message as Touch the Future of Redding (the city). Um.. Not without latex gloves, I think.

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Didn't actually get to try it last night. Bandwidth trouble.

Downloaded, unzipped, flashed to a 8gb Sandisk card. Left it as burned.

Installed in Nook: Booted to Phiremod AOK. Rebooted into Honeycomb AOK*.

Shut down and put sdcard back in my PC to resize the sdcard partition. Hmmm.

Both EASUS and MiniTool show the card as 8GB unallocated (ie: no partition information available!!).

Put it back in nook and reboot. Comes up to phiremod AOK. Weird.

OK, second time around putting SDcard in PC, I got correct mount and could edit partitions.

glg

* - Honeycomb lock screen says "Running on internal eMMC" which we know is not true.

** - I love that you changed the POST message. Those of us in Pennsylvania see the stock message as Touch the Future of Redding (the city). Um.. Not without latex gloves, I think.

Lol. I really appreciate you sharing your experience with everyone. :)

And regarding honeycomb mentioning it's running off emmc. That's because I took the complete zip from samuelhalffs thread without modification and prepped it for the SD install.

Thanks,
Racks

Last edited:

pisces73

Jun 23, 2006
First ever post: Great Job!!

Have been a lurker in the site for the longest time. Been actively watching the developments in the HD2, NookColor and GTab forums.
Kudos to all the developers and modders who've made Android dream a reality.
And, a special thanks to you, who made it a double treat for people like me.

Only trouble, with this dual ROM (which I've to tell you, my friend, has blown my mind away), that I've not been able to overcome yet is, getting my XP Pro or Win 7 Pro to recognize my 7th partition (SDCard). Nothing I've done so far has helped.
Tried both ADB and NookColorUMS. I sure am doing something wrong. Any help is much appreciated.

Once again, THANK YOU!

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Have been a lurker in the site for the longest time. Been actively watching the developments in the HD2, NookColor and GTab forums.

Only trouble, with this dual ROM (which I've to tell you, my friend, has blown my mind away), that I've not been able to overcome yet is, getting my XP Pro or Win 7 Pro to recognize my 7th partition (SDCard). Nothing I've done so far has helped.
Tried both ADB and NookColorUMS. I sure am doing something wrong. Any help is much appreciated.

Once again, THANK YOU!

Thanks for the kind words. Just remember to thank the guys who developed the roms. To mount the 7th partition try running the following command in adb shell:

#echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p7 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file

This should mount the 7th partition. Let me know if it works.

Thanks,
Racks

Last edited:

Deusx Machina

Jul 27, 2010
Northern Virginia
Market script

Excellent work OP (and obviously all the devs that made the roms etc.). One quick question though, I first flashed this image on a transcend class 6 8gb card and, due to the low random write speeds, I experienced random sluggishness and force closes. I will be resolving this issue tomorrow, but another issue has arisen. When I first ran the market a script ran that asked which gapps i wanted installed. After it directed me to install the first two gapps the market force closed. Before I had realized that it was my SD card that was causing the force closes I tried reflashing the SD card with this image again but when I opened the market again after reflashing the script didn't run.

My question is this: When I flash the new SD card will the market script run again? And if not, how would I go about have the market script run again?

Thanks in Advance,
Deusx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi again everyone,

I've prepped an IMG file that you can dualboot Phiremod v6.1 and HC v4 2nd Edition off one SDcard.

1-The image file is 3.7gb. So you will need a 4gb SDcard or larger.

4-I've udpated the Phiremod v6.1 with:
    -The latest OC Kernel by Dalingrin 041811C
    -Alsa update for smoother video playback
    -Honeycomb Softkey Icons by XDA user Bawb3

I've done this mainly just for fun and to see if it would work and thought I'd share it with everyone if you wanna give it a go. Thanks to all the devs for all their hard work in getting these great ROMs for our Nook Color.

Credits:
    The CM7 Team
    Dalingrin
    Deeper-Blue
    Samuelhalff
    Divine_Madcat
    Phiredrop
    j4mm3r
    Rookie1
    Bawb3

Download:
    ph-hc-dualboot-sd.img.zip
    MD5: 36b474afb9436bc2e887aeecec8b5c7e

Follow directions from Nookdevs.com to burn the image to your SDcard.

Burning a bootable SD card

Once you burn the image to your SDcard. Power off your nook and place the SDcard in your nook.

-To boot into Phiremod Nook v6.1 just power on your nook with the sdcard in and leave it alone.
    -To boot into HCv4 2nd Edition, hold the HOME(n) button while powering on. Continue holding the HOME(n) button until you see the "Android..._" screen.

Take it or leave it, just hope you enjoy it.

Edit 5/23: Updated Img with Phiremod 6.2 and Madcat's Honeycomb Hybrid-RC1

Reason for creating a new image and not just a flashable update is because the HC Hybrid /system was too large to fit on the original Dualboot img. So I prepped a new one for that reason as well as making the image smaller so it will definitely fit on a 4gb uSDcard.

What's included in this new image:

1- A 3.4gb Img file that should fit on any 4gb uSDcard or larger

2- J4mm3r's u-boot menu! (Read here for more info on how to use it)

3- Latest Phiremod 6.2 with Dalingrins 4/13a OC and Alsa update

4- Latest Divine_Madcat's Honeycomb Hybrid RC1

5- Honeycomb Hybrid RC1 has my sdcard mount workaround. I also included a file manager.

6- Read here for more info on the sdcard mount workaround.

7- Follow the steps above to burn the image to your uSDcard

8- Enjoy!

Keep in mind that the Honeycomb Hybrid RC1 is a work in progress so there are known issues. I suggest you read the OP in this thread here to see what's working and what isn't.

Download:

Update 5/31-Phiremod Nook 6.3 Dualboot SD Flashable Update:
    This will only format /system. Data stays intact.
    1-If you're still using the original Dualboot-SD img. Follow directions below from 5/5 update on how to install latest Phiremod to your Dualboot-SDrom.
    2-If you're using latest Dualboot-SD v0.2 with j4mm3r's boot menu. Choose to boot into SD-->Recovery and flash from there.

Update 6/22-Phiremod Nook v7-Test Dualboot SD Package Update:
    This will format /system and /data of your Phiremod rom. So please backup all your apps!
    Well I went ahead and made it easier for everyone. So I packaged the whole Phiremod v7-Test as a CWM-SD Flashable zip. This will install phiremod-nook-v7-test, gapps, and will install the launcher-pro backup to the sdcard partition for you.

-All you have to do is download the 'phiremod-nook-v7-TEST-SD-CWM-package.zip' file, no need to extract anything
    -Boot into CWM-SD and flash the package zip file
    -Reboot when done
    -It will prompt with 2 different options on startup, choose "Setup Wizard"
    -For some reason it won't get past that, even when touching the Android guy, to get around this touch all 4 corners of the nook screen starting with:
    1. top left hand corner
    2. top right hand corner
    3. bottom right hand corner (just above the 'change language' button)
    4. bottom left hand corner (just above the 'emergency' button)
    -That should get you to the main screen.
    -Connect to a wireless network
    -Market will not populate correctly, so go into the app drawer and choose 'Talk'
    -That should give you an option to add a google account
    -Once completed go back to the main screen and goto options--> preferences --> and restore the launcher pro backup
    -You should now see Market on the home screen
    -Don't forget to thank the devs!
    -Personal thank you to "bdeville" for testing the .zips for me before I borked any more installations! :D

phiremod-nook-7-Test-Dualboot-SD-Package.zip
    MD5: b814eb7681ea57669764e449b77ef4c1[/QUOTE]

Edit 5/5: Update Phiremod to 6.2 and Honeycomb to Madcat's Honeycomb_RC1

1- I forgot to mention that with your dualboot rom SDcard. It also contains a Modded CWM that will allow you to flash updated roms from "my" thread only!

2- Place the .zips you downloaded from this thread onto your /sdcard (7th) partition.

3- To boot into the Modded CWM. When powering on your nook. Hold the "volume+/volume-" together while booting up, until it loads up CWM

4- Now select "choose zip from sdcard"

5- Choose the .zip file and confirm "yes"

6- Sit back and let it do its thing

7- You can either flash another rom or go back to the CWM main menu and choose "Reboot system now"

8- Enjoy your updated roms!

Downloads:

Phiremod 6.2 Dualboot SD Update: (This will keep your /data partition intact)

Divine_Madcat's Honeycomb RC1v2(Working su, market, sound) Dualboot SD Updated: (This will format both /system and /data)
    update-HC-rc2-Dualboot-SD-a.zip [Updated 8pm EST. / Tested and working by me]
    MD5: a4231f7e141c1e875ad07cef2e97d912

If you get a keyboard failure error on first boot. Just do a quick reboot and it should go away. Downloads from market seems very slow off an SDcard install. Might just depend on what Class it is. And remember. This is a WIP. Don't forget to thank Madcat for his work on this! :D

If I've helped in some way, please say thanks in one way or another! :D

Thanks,
    Racks
    Hey everyone!

I know I promised an update last night. And I was planning to, but when I tried logging in around 11:50pm EST. XDA was down. So I instead chose to goto sleep instead of waiting till 12:45 am for it to come back online. :)

Well I just updated OP with a new IMG for you guys. This one should fit on any 4gb uSDcard or larger. I've made sure the .img file size was smaller for people with issues burning it. Read OP for more info.

Enjoy, and don't forget to say thanks in one way or another! :p

Thanks,
    Racks
    Glad to see that this image was useful to some! :D

Thanks everyone for the thanks,
    Racks

Once again, THANK YOU!

Thanks for the kind words. Just remember to thank the guys who developed the roms. To mount the 7th partition try running the following command in adb shell:

#echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p7 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file

This should mount the 7th partition. Let me know if it works.

Thanks,
    Racks
    Bmar08 & Phez, (Phez see the 6th paragraph of this post.)

Those selling ROMs already on SD cards via eBay; are quite possibly using locally off the shelf memory. Not the older but better performing class 2 or 4 cards that will perform better see later in this post. Otherwise ya, they probably work. But if a person wanted or actually needed an off the shelf solution - one would be better off buying a Galaxy Tab etc, from Best-Buy. Besides its more fun noodling it out your self and saving a couple hundred bucks on a very nice bit of kit. As well as connecting with the community. There are folks floating in and around these threads that know a lot more about this stuff than me. Often it helps to use the "Search" this forum option on the forum tool bar above. Almost always someone else has already asked your question and received a couple answers. Personally I use a browser extension "Search this Site." Chrome and Firefox have these available. I click the button enter the keywords I am looking for and I get more complete and accurate results than I would through various site search systems.

Bmar08 in answer to the other question. After holding the power button down for a few seconds a faint white flash will appear. Let go and observe a message telling you to press any button if you want to enter the boot menu. From there you will find the volume and "n" keys are remapped. Vol + & - will let you move about the "n" key changes values for the most part just mess with it, you will figure it out.

emmc =Nook stock software
    sd = sd card

normal = Your current Phiremod flavor of CM7 Gingerbread.
    alternate = Honeycolmb
    recovery = Will turn the screen dark and reboot into a vertically printed menu.

The new CM7 & Honeycomb versions or in another words updates can be copied anywhere on the sd-card and have any name, not update.zip etc. Just copy them onto your sd-card and once in the vertically printed menu choose "Install from zip file". Confirm you want to do it and let it go to work.

In general after a ROM is first installed it will take an extra while to boot the first time and then its much faster there after.

Here I will throw down some recommended free utilities and links to them for the cash strapped among us.

Recommended ROM
    [ROMS]Dualboot Phiremod / Honeycomb Image for SDcard [UPDATE-6/22]
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=13092402#post13092402

Best SD card = SanDisk 16 GB Class 2 or 4 NOT 10 etc.
    Read post 31 on this page. Blue6IX thread contains lots more testing on this and you can search the thread for my post for card sourcing.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15642453#post15642453

A lot and perhaps more than any one person in particular would need is here, as some can become out dated.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=872003
    Check out Quenxy's post on this page his is post #4.
    or his signiture links at
    http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=357005

Even though I ended up installing Racks Triple booting ROM I leardned enough on Quenxy's site to get me going.

Wireless file transfers.
    Moving files between Nook and PC wirelessly. Free version, pro is $2.99.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.websharing&feature=search_result

File Expert
    Free file management that will let you easily access more stuff.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=xcxin.filexpert&feature=search_result

WinDiskImager
    http://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.1/0.1/+download/win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.1-r15-win32.zip

Easeus Partition Manager
    Free version
    http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

Hope this helps or at least doesn't hinder anyone. Now I have to get my rear in gear and do a heap of other stuff....