Question ROMs or roote methods?

Search This thread

MyNameIsEarlB

Mar 13, 2013
So I've tried various setups, I'm running Linux and they've all been the same.

i have successfully gotten the oem unlock toggle enabled, happened on the third day, however it probably would have happened earlier if i wouldn't have enabled airplane mode at night, adb and fastboot are working but the..

fastboot oem get_unlock_data

And

fastboot getvar cid

Do not work. However, the following command does.

fastboot getvar all shows a part that says there's no cid.

It said something along the lines of cid has slot and said no.

Anyways, I suspect that this is because I bought the phone from Amazon. So I've ordered another directly from motorola.com

I still have a couple weeks before I reach my time limit for a refund so I'm going to just send this one back and hopefully the one from Motorola works.

On a side note, I bought the blue one from Amazon and on the Motorola website there was only two colors, both were greyish.

I'm wondering which colors everyone's are here.

I suspect the none of the unlocked ones are blue. Just a thought

Reactions: Onoitsu2

MuffinGod

Jun 12, 2015
I have the moto power 2021 (borneo) and haven't found any development threads pertaining to this device. I was hoping someone may have come across something I missed.

MyNameIsEarlB

Mar 13, 2013
Silverish/grey is mine from Xfinity mobile, that is a Verizon reseller basically.
That's the one I just got directly from Motorola.

Any idea if the..

fastboot getvar cid command doesn't work unless the oem unlock option is enabled in developer options?

Only been a day but I tried running the command immediately, hoping it'd give me some output but still shows nothing.

I have a feeling that this one can't be rooted and I really hope I'm wrong.

Definitely don't want to buy a third one and return this one.

Onoitsu2

May 4, 2013
USA
Moto G Power (2021)
That's the one I just got directly from Motorola.

Any idea if the..

fastboot getvar cid command doesn't work unless the oem unlock option is enabled in developer options?
Mine shows output when run in bootloader, but I have my recovery flashed with TWRP. But when flashed back with stock recovery, I get failed unknown variable when it shows fastbootd on the device's screen. have you tried in bootloader (i.e. 'fastboot reboot bootloader' from within fastboot itself) ?

MyNameIsEarlB

Mar 13, 2013
Mine shows output when run in bootloader, but I have my recovery flashed with TWRP. But when flashed back with stock recovery, I get failed unknown variable when it shows fastbootd on the device's screen. have you tried in bootloader (i.e. 'fastboot reboot bootloader' from within fastboot itself) ?
Nope, haven't tried that.

Did... adb reboot fastboot and tried from there. I did boot to bootloader though once and whenever I plugged in the usb cable the screen would turn off and the screen would turn on for a split second when I hit the power button and turn right off.

Right when I unplugged usb, the screen would turn back on.

Not sure if that's because I was trying on Linux and no Motorola usb drivers, haven't tried using a Windows vm yet but I'll give it a go when I get home.

Onoitsu2

May 4, 2013
USA
Moto G Power (2021)
whenever I plugged in the usb cable the screen would turn off and the screen would turn on for a split second when I hit the power button and turn right off.

Right when I unplugged usb, the screen would turn back on.

Not sure if that's because I was trying on Linux and no Motorola usb drivers, haven't tried using a Windows vm yet but I'll give it a go when I get home.
I did mine in a Linux VM, didn't need any specialty drivers or anything on Linux to talk with Fastboot or Bootloader, but windows does I can assure you. Try checking your cable, or USB 2.0/3.0 port plugged into, found some 2.0 ports and USB-C and fastboot/bootloader, are not properly 2.0/3.0 compatible so can cause issues for some.

Reactions: MyNameIsEarlB

MyNameIsEarlB

Mar 13, 2013
I did mine in a Linux VM, didn't need any specialty drivers or anything on Linux to talk with Fastboot or Bootloader, but windows does I can assure you. Try checking your cable, or USB 2.0/3.0 port plugged into, found some 2.0 ports and USB-C and fastboot/bootloader, are not properly 2.0/3.0 compatible so can cause issues for some.
Yup, it worked when i didn't use my usb extension cord. Thanks!

All rooted now!

scrungydoolittle

Jun 1, 2017
Rooting these phones is dead simple. If you boot into bootloader mode, you can find your device's codename. Look for your codename on the lolinet site, select your varient, and download your firmware. Be sure to share the codename here so links can be updated.

Then you unlock your bootloader, patch boot.img you got from the firmware archive with Magisk, and flash the patched image through fastboot.
Mine is that ATT&T version. How do you unlock the bootloader on this device?
How do you root it?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Mine is that ATT&T version. How do you unlock the bootloader on this device?
How do you root it?

Motorola says said:
Carrier exclusive models (ex. Verizon, AT&T, Tracfone) are almost never unlockable.

jstanoob

Dec 5, 2019
i was able to flash the magiskpatched.img to the phone and reboot, however, i lost the touchscreen support, anybody know how to fix this without having to start over?

jstanoob

Dec 5, 2019
it was an older version of the original firmware. i literally have to wait till i find the updated version somewhere in order to fix this? the funny thing is when i flashed the wrong partition it went into bootloop, and so i used the boot.img to reflash it and all was well, it wasnt until i used the magiskpatched.img that this started.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
it was an older version of the original firmware. i literally have to wait till i find the updated version somewhere in order to fix this? the funny thing is when i flashed the wrong partition it went into bootloop, and so i used the boot.img to reflash it and all was well, it wasnt until i used the magiskpatched.img that this started.
The boot.img just needs to match the other firmware, so if you flash the full firmware it should work.
LMSA should have the correct firmware

jstanoob

Dec 5, 2019
The boot.img just needs to match the other firmware, so if you flash the full firmware it should work.
LMSA should have the correct firmware
unfortunately im running a linux server, so i downloaded LMSA and set it up just on my windows 10 virtualbox but it doesnt want to recognize the phone and so im out of luck, ill give it a shot on the wifes laptop tomorrow which runs windows 10 and see if i cant get it to recognise the phone. (I hate windows)

jstanoob

Dec 5, 2019
unfortunately im running a linux server, so i downloaded LMSA and set it up just on my windows 10 virtualbox but it doesnt want to recognize the phone and so im out of luck, ill give it a shot on the wifes laptop tomorrow which runs windows 10 and see if i cant get it to recognise the phone. (I hate windows)

jstanoob

Dec 5, 2019
Success!! Downloaded and flashed the correct firmware with LSMA and got the touchscreen back. Any idea how to pull the os so i can get to just the boot.img and patch it? Or is there a mirror somewhere with an updated firmware?

Reactions: sd_shadow

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Success!! Downloaded and flashed the correct firmware with LSMA and got the touchscreen back. Any idea how to pull the os so i can get to just the boot.img and patch it? Or is there a mirror somewhere with an updated firmware?
  • Find the boot.img in the LMSA Downloads Folder
    • "ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles\"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting these phones is dead simple. If you boot into bootloader mode, you can find your device's codename. Look for your codename on the lolinet site, select your varient, and download your firmware. Be sure to share the codename here so links can be updated.

Then you unlock your bootloader, patch boot.img you got from the firmware archive with Magisk, and flash the patched image through fastboot.
    [Edited to clean up instructions]

I have the xt2117-4 version of the moto g power 2021 and the following worked for me to get root Using Magisk.
    There is only one issue I had and this was because of Magisk. Some apps have issue's using fingerprint if Magisk is not set correctly. I will add the setting to fix fingerprint on apps at end. As always try at your own risk.

if you have a pin or security code remove it as touch screen for me did not work so had to manually type in twrp adb commands to backup boot and not knowing how to add security codes to twrp adb backup fails.

You need to have unlocked your bootloader and usb drivers from Motorola and phone in usb debug mode in developer options.

Now plug in usb cable to computer and phone

On the PC

Install adb (plenty of info on this and other sites how to do this). Then get moto g play twrp recovery image #1 from

Put it into adb folder on PC and rename it recovery.img

Start phone in bootloader mode by using power and volume down button

Once phone is in bootloader mode on pc at command prompt in adb directory run

fastboot boot recovery.img

this side loads it and does not replace your recovery.
    Once twrp is fully loaded on your phone on the pc at command prompt in adb directory run

adb shell twrp backup B

this will back up boot.emmc.win to twrp directory on your phone and can be seen using a file explorer. The twrp folder is at the same levels as photos, alarms, etc

After backup is completed, hold down power button until phone reboots. I cannot remember if it boots to the phone or bootloader, at this point we want to boot to phone and allow usb file transfer.

Now use windows file explorer and copy boot.emmc.win to the pc and rename it boot.img and then put it in the adb directory. Reboot phone to bootloader again and in command prompt in adb directory run.

fastboot boot boot.img

this sideloads it and makes sure it boots right.

Put the phone to usb transfer mode again then copy boot.img to the download folder of the phone and install Magisk following method 2 from this guide

Once rooted and finding a app that finger prints do not work on you can hide Magisk from the app. In Magisk manager click on shield at bottom. Click on magisk hide grey bar and select only apps not working as I heard putting in to many can cause issues (cannot verify but why try) Now programs should work with fingerprint.

Don't forget to keep original boot.img incase you have to restore it
    Fun... I made my first brick using that panda build box link.
    Hello. I just got one of these on accident. Meant to get a G9 Power. Oh well. I will still love it. Having rooted countless phones and a great many Motos, I went to root mine without looking for instructions. I fastboot flashed the entire RETUS from lolinet, magisk patched and flashed the new kernel, and then booted to a phone without a working digitizer. Not only that, but when I flashed the original back on it, it didn't fix it. Still no digitizer. I then flashed the entire RETUS again, including the same kernel, and it fixed, but of course I had to set everything up again. I made a fastboot command list though, for flashing firmware from lolinet, if anyone could use it. It's on my computer though. I'll have to share it later. I just made this post to warn others of possible problems with a magisk-patched boot.img.

And also to thank @kbwojo . I've many times wished we could use twrp from a command line. Where did you learn that? Is there a manual?

Oh, BTW, the codename for xt2117-4 is borneo.
    I did try a few things that didn't work. What I ended up doing was just flash boot the original boot.img and that basically reset magisk
    Just giving an update and a thanks again to @kbwojo . I finally booted a patched kernel by patching a kernel extracted with twrp in the command line. All the kernels from lolinet caused me to lose touch support after patching, even if I was running the same version the kernel was from. But when I patched it after pulling the kernel with twrp, all is good. Whew. That was different.