• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROOKIE][DEV][HOWTO] Permenant BN-OTA Update Block

Search This thread

bonzer2u

Dec 17, 2010
Southern Oregon...
From this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=874871

Attached is a working sqlite3 binary.

Copy it to /system/bin
(I transfered it to my SD, then used rootexplorer (mount R/W) to copy into /system/bin))
you will now be able to edit sqlite databases on the nook itself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Files sqlite3.7z (11.9 KB, 56 views)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In your terminal:

$ adb pull /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db devicemanager.db

$ sqlite3 devicemanager.db

sqlite> update registry set value='manual' where name='com.bn.device.fota.mode';

sqlite> .q

$ adb push devicemanager.db /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db

$ adb reboot

Congrats Your NC is now permanently blocked from any future BN OTA auto updates.

No more build.prop spoof hacks for each release (sideload only),,,,,, yada yada

sleep like a baby.........with yur wifi on.:cool:

bonzer2u

Dec 17, 2010
Southern Oregon...
Jeeeez and of course credit where credit is due...

JoshMiers - for providing the sqlite3 binary post.

and

ixampl - for providing the clues that lead me to find the appropriate db and setting to hack.

Finally, disclaimer: Apply and/or feel free to incorporate into your projects at your own risk, if your NC self distructs, yur on yur own......NOT

Reactions: ixampl

hoban_eris

Jan 15, 2010
Instructions don't use sqlite3 binary on device

Your instructions work fine assuming that the computer connected to the NC has the sqlite3 binary installed. The sqlite3 binary you link to could be used to make the changes inside adb shell but it's not documented as such. Just wanted to give that note to help clear up anyone's confusion if they run into issues with the given instructions. Other than that, thanks for the tip!

JoshMiers

Feb 4, 2010
The sqlite3 binary I posted is for use on the Nook itself. If you want to do that instead of doing adb pull/push just do this in an adb shell:

Code:
# sqlite3 /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db
sqlite> update registry set value='manual' where name='com.bn.device.fota.mode';
sqlite> .q
# reboot

bonzer2u

Dec 17, 2010
Southern Oregon...
The sqlite3 binary I posted is for use on the Nook itself. If you want to do that instead of doing adb pull/push just do this in an adb shell:

Code:
sqlite> .q
# reboot

Easier then I thought, thanks again Josh....

bonzer2u

Dec 17, 2010
Southern Oregon...
Your instructions work fine assuming that the computer connected to the NC has the sqlite3 binary installed. The sqlite3 binary you link to could be used to make the changes inside adb shell but it's not documented as such. Just wanted to give that note to help clear up anyone's confusion if they run into issues with the given instructions. Other than that, thanks for the tip!

If I understand you correctly, my PC is a dell win7-32 laptop and it doesn't have any sqlite3 installed binary on it? I did however use it to download and transfer the sqlite3 binary Josh posted to my nook??:confused:

Yes Josh mentioned the adb shell version above.

I did initially forget to mention you need to be rooted and have SU and ADB functioning as a prereq, my bad, but it is pretty obvious.....

droidseban

Dec 5, 2010
If you have adb working on your PC, the chances are that you have sqlite binary on your PC since it seems to come with the android sdk in the tools folder (for example, android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools). When I did it on mine, I used the commands from the OP, and did it on the PC with nook connected, but didn't use the linked sqlite3 binary for nook).

Last edited:

bonzer2u

Dec 17, 2010
Southern Oregon...
If you have adb working on your PC, the chances are that you have sqllite binary on your PC since it comes with the android sdk in the tools folder (for example, android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools). When I did it on mine, I followed your directions, and did it on the PC with nook connected, but didn't use the linked sqllite3 binary for nook).

Ahh I see now and didnt know that... I understand what you guys are referring to now.

Thanks for clearing that up, like my post title suggests, still just a rookie with the nook that is.....

droidseban

Dec 5, 2010
We are all here to learn from each other. :)

Looking through the rest of the entries in the registry table, there is this entry: "com.bn.device.fota.next_connect_default_interval" which is set to the value 604800000. Assuming this is in milliseconds as usual, it translates to 7 days. So, nook is set to check for updates once every week. I guess you can try upping this number also to avoid the updates.

droidseban

Dec 5, 2010
Adding a command to raise the udate check interval to a year to the steps from OP (NOTE: no space in "...default_interval". Not sure why the forum software is inserting it):

$ adb pull /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db devicemanager.db

sqlite> update registry set value='31557600000' where name='com.bn.device.fota.next_connect_default_interval';

sqlite> .q

$ adb push devicemanager.db /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db

$ adb reboot

Last edited:

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
From this thread:

Copy it to /system/bin
(I transfered it to my SD, then used rootexplorer (mount R/W) to copy into /system/bin))

In your terminal:

sqlite> .q

$ adb reboot

Congrats Your NC is now permanently blocked from any future BN OTA auto updates.

I like your method better than spoofing the build.prop of 1.1.

Would it be okay with you if I make this into a Clockwork update.zip ?

wisedesi

Mar 23, 2008
I dont get sqlite 2

Hi All,

Noob quiestion,

I go in adb shell promt "#" by typing "adb shell" in command line.

when I type sqlite3 I get "sqlite3 : not found"

Am I missing anything?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From this thread:

Copy it to /system/bin

In your terminal:

sqlite> .q

$ adb reboot

Code:
    sqlite> .q
    # reboot
    Jeeeez and of course credit where credit is due...

JoshMiers - for providing the sqlite3 binary post.

and

ixampl - for providing the clues that lead me to find the appropriate db and setting to hack.

Finally, disclaimer: Apply and/or feel free to incorporate into your projects at your own risk, if your NC self distructs, yur on yur own......NOT
    Okay, I've done this including the sqlite binary in the '/system/bin', and in sqlite3 I type in the "update registry [etc]" and it returns with: "Error: no such table: Registry"

What am I missing?
    Try (from either a terminal on the Nook or from adb shell):

ls /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases

and see if your system has the file. If it does,

cd /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases

then

sqlite3 devicemanager.db

and carry on.

If not, best find out why first.

Homer
    I believe I've figured out a very easy way to do this. Posted it in the general forums. link:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=946969

Required Apps:
    - Root Explorer (in market)
    - SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
    1. Open Root Explorer
    2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
    3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file
    4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
    5. Drag over to the column labeled "value"
    6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
    7. Select "Edit Field"
    8. Replace auto with manual
    9. Select "Save"

Assuming this is what the scripts are doing, your nook color should now be blocking BN OTA updates. The best part is that you can do all of this from your nook color. Hope this helps!